Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I had a dream tonight. Hanneman and Annette were running through some dark woods, escaping from some sort of nightmarish, skinless, hound-like creatures. I was Hanneman, which was nice. I repeatedly got the shit mauled out of me, which wasn't as nice.

We made it out of the woods and to a sparsely populated, yet apparently safe train station. Annette was fine, but Hanneman had taken the brunt of the beasts' attacks and was mortally wounded. The teary-eyed Annette hugged me, I seemingly passed away, and I don't remember much else. I think there was more after that, but it was totally disconnected.

...Now I kinda wanna see that. Imagine that - a horror spin-off of Fodlan. Terrifying ghastly hounds come out of the forests surrounding Garreg Mach and disembowel all of the lords and Rhea before anyone can react.

The secondaries struggle and suffer to survive the night while awaiting the return of the Knights of Seiros.

Every now and then there'd be an interlude, showing that the Knights are being delayed by Alois telling terrible jokes. But, gasp - it isn't mere comic relief, but rather brilliant foreshadowing of the reveal that he's the true villain! He snapped after his comedy was derided one too many times and ran to a remote corner of the forest to cry. There, he encountered forces far greater in power and evil than the Slitherers, and with them he struck a deal most heinous. Shocking!

Heck, speaking of the Slitherers, you can throw them in there too! The oblivious Thales, having been informed that the monastery was in disarray, sprung into action, but was immediately eviscerated by the hounds. Kronya and Solon, their identities exposed, are forced to, at first begrudgingly, work with their former foes to survive.

It's beautiful. We call it... Thirty Houndses.

And of course Hanneman dies because I can't have nice things even in a dream it seems...

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

Or you could join me in the buy To The Moon and leave it sitting in your steam library for months club. It’s been keeping Yakuza 0 company!

Oof...

5 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Finished Papers, Please.

https://tomhoyle.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/new_arstotzka.png

It's basically just a clerk simulator. The so-called "ethical issues" that the game tries to present as a greater incentive to play don't work because, except for a few times, you will never see the repercussion of your actions. They are always the same thing: a randomly generated NPC appears and tells a sob story asking you to let them pass, and regardless of your choice of him you will never see anything related to them again (with rare exceptions).The only highlights of the game for me were Sergiu and the vengeful father, and that's the end of the game.

Kinda mid, ngl.

Fair enough, but c'mon, at lesst have Jorji in the highlights. Everybody loves Jorji.

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

Am I the only one finding all the side missions in Three Hopes kind of a chore? It wasn’t a problem in the early game because there weren’t as many, but now it’s taking forever to get through all of them while doing all the management stuff. I mean, maybe the game isn’t designed around doing all of the side missions, but I’m spending like a day on each chapter. This would be fine if the side missions were good but they’re still short and not too interesting, there’s just more of them.

I think Shrimpy said he didn't like them either. And I recall you sprung up and responded you didn't mind them lol.

9 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

To the moon is a few hours, you'll be fine.

Right, of course.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

*Goes for a walk with the dogs. Bears witness to a rotten tooth extraction as we're leaving.*

🤢

Thankfully I didn't have to help at all. I'm no good in emergencies big or small.

They just did it in the house?

Kinda gross and sounds like the start of a Don't try this at home PSA.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Internet ratio'd by pics that go hard

Then I got ratioed hard by King of the Monsters.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's beautiful. We call it... Thirty Houndses.

Me, I think I know my limits. Different strokes I suppose.

And why are there trains in a setting where Rhea would have forced whoever made them into silence?

39 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Me, I think I know my limits. Different strokes I suppose.

Pah. My oniric genius is clearly misunderstood.

39 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

And why are there trains in a setting where Rhea would have forced whoever made them into silence?

You're questioning the logistics of a dream?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You're questioning the logistics of a dream?

...............Yes.

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

oniric

Well, that's a new word.

It is done, Vestaria Saga 1 is complete...

That last map was intense, and its hard not to feel my biggest grip with the levers was due to short-cutting one of the major switches with a chest key and flier (thus discovering this two switch path I was working towards was kinda pointless). The pit floor was also an uncomfortable surprise...man I don't know how people handle this game without a well trained Dune (as his personal Canto bow is the perfect solution to it).

Now all that is left is to watch the epilogue, and I think I will give my final thoughts on this game after that.

34 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

You ok bud?

Hey, just sharing a dream here. We can't pick the dreams we have. One day I dreamed Berwick was officially localized and released on Steam!

...Man, did I get angry when I woke up that day...

Anyway, yeah, I'm good. Heck, I'm great. This entire month has been amazing.

33 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

...............Yes.

Well, in response to your question: Trains are cool. Rhea realized trains are cool. So she let trains exist. If Three Houses had a train battle it would've been much better. Like Vandal Hearts 2.

Well, that's a new word.

Put it to wise use.

12 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It is done, Vestaria Saga 1 is complete...

That last map was intense, and its hard not to feel my biggest grip with the levers was due to short-cutting one of the major switches with a chest key and flier (thus discovering this two switch path I was working towards was kinda pointless). The pit floor was also an uncomfortable surprise...man I don't know how people handle this game without a well trained Dune (as his personal Canto bow is the perfect solution to it).

VS1 isn't a great ironman game. VS2 is somewhat better in that regard, it doesn't have any particularly egregious things like Dune, but it doesn't seem like ironmannability is a great priority of Kaga's these days.

Now all that is left is to watch the epilogue, and I think I will give my final thoughts on this game after that.

Will look forward to those!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

After playing Trails into Reverie, i updated my list of Trails games:

f202b56f863f847a98880ac7665bf3fb.png

Obviously Sky SC is S tier for good reason, with FC and the 3rd right behind it.

Azure and CS I are fair games, sitting in B.

Zero, CS II, and CS IV are in C. This is where the flaws start to show a bit more imo, but they still have moments that i thought made them good enough.

Reverie and last but not least, CS III, are in D. uh... these games are not great, to say the least.

5 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

They just did it in the house?

Kinda gross and sounds like the start of a Don't try this at home PSA.

I'll spare you the disgusting details.😉 The outcome was fine though. And it's not what has my stomach in knots right now.

Hello everyone, it is the month of July, the month of my birth, and this year, the month of peak fiction

FWk_nsrWAAAjEtq?format=jpg&name=large

FWk_oGwXEAEXgdq?format=jpg&name=large

Absolutely wild that two of my favorite games of all time are getting sequels back-to-back.

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, you've watched that one? Neat.

Yep. So i'm at least directly familiar with one series on here haha.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I seemingly passed away, and I don't remember much else. I think there was more after that, but it was totally disconnected.

Passing away in a dream is weird because of course it is but also just how it happens.

Like the few times it's happened to me, either i feel myself being ejected from my body or "dying" is simply me just falling to the ground and very slowly getting back up. But i don't remember the majority of my dreams anyways.

48 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

f202b56f863f847a98880ac7665bf3fb.png

The way i've seen you talk about CS4, i would not have imagined you putting it in C lmao.

Edited by Armagon

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

VS1 isn't a great ironman game. VS2 is somewhat better in that regard, it doesn't have any particularly egregious things like Dune, but it doesn't seem like ironmannability is a great priority of Kaga's these days.

I do wonder about that... I am rather tempted to try ironmanning it soon, and see what the game is actually like to ironman, as I certainly wasn't trying to ironman it on this run.

As for my final thoughts on Vestaria Saga, I rather liked it. The siege maps were by far the highlight of the game, maps like Venecia's Turmoil, The Siege of Harral, The Prison Camp, Light Bringer, even Journey's End. Even the more mundane maps, there is always events keeping you on your toes, and often pressing you to keep moving, and play at a reasonable pace, with various explicit, and implicit timers, and usually you don't have to LTC to pull them off; it just feels like a good pace for the map (the 25 turn limit to open the gates before the executioner show up on The Prison Camp map was the tightest turn limit I remember, hit it dead on, and I was bogged down quite a few times on that one). I also really like how it felt like each unit brought something unique to the table, and it seemed like I could just train everyone I wanted to without really worrying about being too under-leveled by spreading my exp too thin (15x really does help people grind up if you were neglecting someone you wanted to actually use for the late game). I also really like how there are just random named enemies with faces, and small quotes, and for even really minor enemies too, it just made the world feel a little bit realer somehow. Now the game does throw a lot of broken nonsense at you to deal with, but generally you are given all the same broken nonsense to throw it right back. Even when you see some terrible seeming enemy (demons come to mind a bit), that just meant it was time to pull out one of the higher grade weapons to deal with it (often a personal weapon, but not always...).

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

think Shrimpy said he didn't like them either.

Yeah i did @Sooks

And honestly...

This game is much much more bloated than 3H ever was.

The demo gives the impression that every side thing can be done in an hour, but after the demo i can finish max 2 chapters a day. If not only 1.

I mean, gameplay hella fun, and management is fine

But we didn't need 7 side missions a chapter, 4 of which are usually forced to play a main map

Max. Should've been 2-3

Edited by Shrimpy

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, in response to your question: Trains are cool. Rhea realized trains are cool. So she let trains exist. If Three Houses had a train battle it would've been much better. Like Vandal Hearts 2.

You right now:

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'll spare you the disgusting details.😉 The outcome was fine though. And it's not what has my stomach in knots right now.

Least that's not an active issue.

What's up besides.

51 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

The demo gives the impression that every side thing can be done in an hour, but after the demo i can finish max 2 chapters a day. If not only 1.

But we didn't need 7 side missions a chapter, 4 of which are usually forced to play a side map

Max. Should've been 2-3

What is with Fodlan and it's interest in expansion?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The way i've seen you talk about CS4, i would not have imagined you putting it in C lmao.

I'm considering more than just gameplay and story and putting bias aside as well. And C is still not great by any means, it's just not AS bad as III or Reverie. XD

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

I'm considering more than just gameplay and story and putting bias aside as well. And C is still not great by any means, it's just not AS bad as III or Reverie. XD

Then put in D and CS3/5 in F 😛

Edited by Shrimpy

Making it a copy of CS I was not only poor taste, it was poorly written and just generally dossnt mesh well with the rest of the CS arc (for what thats worth, which isnt alot)

Edited by lightcosmo

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Hello everyone, it is the month of July, the month of my birth, and this year, the month of peak fiction

Indeed, Karajan Saga is coming out this month.

Though who knows, maybe the real peak fiction month is going to be October.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Passing away in a dream is weird because of course it is but also just how it happens.

Like the few times it's happened to me, either i feel myself being ejected from my body or "dying" is simply me just falling to the ground and very slowly getting back up. But i don't remember the majority of my dreams anyways.

This was extra weird because I didn't just die, I died while not being myself. Freaky.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I do wonder about that... I am rather tempted to try ironmanning it soon, and see what the game is actually like to ironman, as I certainly wasn't trying to ironman it on this run.

Do let us know your thoughts if you do that!

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

As for my final thoughts on Vestaria Saga, I rather liked it. The siege maps were by far the highlight of the game, maps like Venecia's Turmoil, The Siege of Harral, The Prison Camp, Light Bringer, even Journey's End. Even the more mundane maps, there is always events keeping you on your toes, and often pressing you to keep moving, and play at a reasonable pace, with various explicit, and implicit timers, and usually you don't have to LTC to pull them off; it just feels like a good pace for the map (the 25 turn limit to open the gates before the executioner show up on The Prison Camp map was the tightest turn limit I remember, hit it dead on, and I was bogged down quite a few times on that one). I also really like how it felt like each unit brought something unique to the table, and it seemed like I could just train everyone I wanted to without really worrying about being too under-leveled by spreading my exp too thin (15x really does help people grind up if you were neglecting someone you wanted to actually use for the late game). I also really like how there are just random named enemies with faces, and small quotes, and for even really minor enemies too, it just made the world feel a little bit realer somehow. Now the game does throw a lot of broken nonsense at you to deal with, but generally you are given all the same broken nonsense to throw it right back. Even when you see some terrible seeming enemy (demons come to mind a bit), that just meant it was time to pull out one of the higher grade weapons to deal with it (often a personal weapon, but not always...).

Sounds about right. I too appreciate the amount of minibosses, it's a nice touch. The fire they call Wes is one of my favorites, as well as the love triangle in chapter 17(? I'm terrible at chapter numbers, is that the Athol village visiting map?) and Calliera's muttonchop mustache lieutenant that you can save if you're EXTREMELY fast. There's little point in saving him, but I liked the guy, so I made sure to do it.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Yeah i did @Sooks

And honestly...

But we didn't need 7 side missions a chapter, 4 of which are usually forced to play a main map

Max. Should've been 2-3

...Sheesh... Doesn't the game want people to replay it like, six or so times? That's going to be interesting...

1 hour ago, Awoken Dayni said:

You right now:

"Right now"?

How did I not notice this?? Either way, it’s neat.

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I had a dream tonight. Hanneman and Annette were running through some dark woods, escaping from some sort of nightmarish, skinless, hound-like creatures. I was Hanneman, which was nice. I repeatedly got the shit mauled out of me, which wasn't as nice.

We made it out of the woods and to a sparsely populated, yet apparently safe train station. Annette was fine, but Hanneman had taken the brunt of the beasts' attacks and was mortally wounded. The teary-eyed Annette hugged me, I seemingly passed away,

i5G8Hw6.jpg

...Now I kinda wanna see that. Imagine that - a horror spin-off of Fodlan. Terrifying ghastly hounds come out of the forests surrounding Garreg Mach and disembowel all of the lords and Rhea before anyone can react.

…I kinda want that too…

I think Shrimpy said he didn't like them either. And I recall you sprung up and responded you didn't mind them lol.

I didn’t mind them back when there was like 3-4 a chapter, and I still don’t mind them individually, but there’s just way too many of them now.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Yeah i did @Sooks

And honestly...

Agree. I mean, at least 3H’s “bloat” could mostly be skipped if you really wanted to.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Max. Should've been 2-3

Definitely agree.

I repeatedly got the shit mauled out of me, which wasn't as nice.

zsiNgfS.jpg

There, he encountered forces far greater in power and evil than the Slitherers, and with them he struck a deal most heinous. Shocking!

Toothpaste-Chan is the main antagonist?

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Absolutely wild that two of my favorite games of all time are getting sequels back-to-back.

I guess I'd best finish XB2 this month, then.

By the way, I don't know if you'll remember either, but could you give me a brief-ish summary of the plot so far? I remember a couple of things, but not that much- I just got to

Spoiler

The bit where Jin was talking to FE's Hinoka in some crystal-thing, and I think I'm supposed to leave Indol because he has a big robot. I think. It's been a while...

(IIRC this happens after you talk to the head honcho of Indol, but... Well, my memory ain't the best.

Speaking of finishing JRPGs, I finally finished Yakuza: Like a Dragon!

The funniest character is unironically the edgelord, LAD is an easy 10/10.

...Okay, seriously, the game's fantastic. It's got a couple of missteps both storywise and gameplay-wise, but the overall experience is so good. And good god, the ending scenes... The ending scenes...