• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

14 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

I want her to think about me for the rest of my life! Even after I die... I want to be at the front of her mind for a while! Ten years, at least!

Wait... There's a DLC episode of Dragon Age where you play as the bad guys and kill Alistair?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH @Newtype06 Why the hell didn't you tell me? This is the Ruben campaign! This kind of one-off short DLC is the kind that I tend to never bother with, but I might do this one. It sounds really fun, and I get to massacre Alistair again! Could be a decent way to shake off the rust and refresh my memory on how to Dragon Age, too. And I get to massacre Alistair again!

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

No risk no fun

Playing FE safe and slow is boring

The real fun of FE is blaming the game for one's mistakes.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Better than playing the game using brainless options

What would FE be without turning underdogs into gods? Nothing. Nothing at all. Fuck efficiency, I prefer using bad units.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What would FE be without turning underdogs into gods? Nothing. Nothing at all. Fuck efficiency, I prefer using bad units

That isnt braindead option choosing, though.

One of these days I need to make a vid of "playing" Reverie, and by that i mean Elie's Brave formation + CB the entire battle. Most fun game experience they could possibly give the player.

27 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Someone went out of their way to splice this

One of the few good things this goddamned ending gave us

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait... There's a DLC episode of Dragon Age where you play as the bad guys and kill Alistair?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH @Newtype06 Why the hell didn't you tell me? This is the Ruben campaign! This kind of one-off short DLC is the kind that I tend to never bother with, but I might do this one. It sounds really fun, and I get to massacre Alistair again! Could be a decent way to shake off the rust and refresh my memory on how to Dragon Age, too. And I get to massacre Alistair again!

Oh, you talking about Darkspawn Chronicles? Yeah, you play as the evil guys trying to destroy the world. I also recommend Return to Ostagar if you want to see Loghain reacting at the mess he made.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What would FE be without turning underdogs into gods? Nothing. Nothing at all. Fuck efficiency, I prefer using bad units.

Ruben spittin' facts right here

13 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Oh, you talking about Darkspawn Chronicles? Yeah, you play as the evil guys trying to destroy the world.

And, more importantly, I face Alistair. I can kill him again.

I don't even have anything against him. The game just makes killing him too enticing of an option. He's too killable.

I also recommend Return to Ostagar if you want to see Loghain reacting at the mess he made.

Does sound interesting as well.

13 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Ruben spittin' facts right here

Broke: blaming oneself for mistakes, improving.

Woke: blaming the rng for mistakes, ragequitting.

Bespoke: blame Kaga, T-posing on throne while savestating.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Does sound interesting as well.

There's also Golems of Amgarrak if you want the hardest content, Stone Prisoner if you want Shale (a dwarf who was turned into a Golem), Leliana's Song if you want to know her past and Witch Hunt if you want to know what happened to Morrigan. You can also stab her

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Ruben rambles for 30 minutes about Live a Live spoilers.

Play Live a Live.

I apologise for taking so much time.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
  Reveal hidden contents

No yeah, you're right. Streibough is an incel shithead. Whether his feelings for Alethea were real and even mutual, it doesn't really matter. He was still a douchebag.

I agree that he's right, however, when he says Oersted's victories were won by better men. This is even reflected in the gameplay. Hasshe is the strongest party member, and he's likely the one doing the most work in the fake Lord of Dark confrontation.

Alethea was clearly manipulated by Streibough. Unlike in the original, however, she reacts a lot more realistically to her forced marriage to Oersted. Not only are her lines quite impersonal, as you pointed out with the "for king and country" line, but for over half of the balcony scene she's looking away. Clearly she's not thrilled, but marriage as a tool was common in this time. The king obviously just wanted a second Hasshe, and paid for it with his daughter's hand. As you said, she wants to make it work. But then, disaster strikes.

I forgot to bring up his battle quotes. It's a fair point - he sounds downright smug. Between this, his silence and the "fair and just reward" line, it lends some credence to Streibough's claim that he was a competitive, violent jerk.

Interesting that you say the people's turn on Oersted was the weakest part of the chapter. I'll admit it was pretty sudden, but I think it fits. These are middle age folks, they're highly superstitious. The Lord of Dark had returned and kidnapped their princess just days ago... And she was alone with Oersted when it happened. They'd just lost the greatest hero they've ever known... And he was last seen heading off to the Lord of Dark's hideout with Oersted. And now he's found, bloodied sword in hand, standing before the corpse of the king. Again, right after he's returned from the Archon's Roost with half his party wiped out. It's not that unreasonable to believe they would've believed him to be the demon, all these things considered. But the game goes a bit too fast here, that I'll admit.

Also, the way they instantly turned on Uranus as well is rather suspect. But then, Hasshe clearly stole all the fame and glory for himself (to his great chagrin), leaving Uranus to be remembered as "that one priest that helped Hasshe a bit." And people being forgetful and ungrateful suits this story perfectly. Watching Uranus be betrayed so easily was another dickmove for the pile of dickmoves that drove Oersted mad.

Odio prior to Hasshe's death is left up to interpretation. Personally, I like to believe there was no Odio at all. After Hasshe and Uranus's victory, his minions scattered and were left to roam the abandoned Archon's Roost. One of these wandered off and, perhaps guided by some sort of instinct instilled in it by Odio when it was created, found the princess of Lucrece and took her away. Just as Hasshe said, the fake Odio was nothing more than a pawn, perhaps one that could take different forms and tried to live up to its master's legacy - this magic exists in this world, as Streibough handily proves. This would explain why it's so weak. Then Hasshe dies, Streibough comes up with his plan, and becomes the Lord of Dark himself... Until Oersted steals the demonic influence from him, alongside his life.

Still, this is just one possible interpretation. Some think Streibough or even both Strei and Alethea planned everything from the start, but I don't think that's as likely, their dialogue later on makes little sense going by this theory. Others think Odio was the really weak guy that Hasshe claimed couldn't possibly be Odio, and that the next Odio after the one Hasshe killed simply happened to be a weak person. Some believe Odio was just chilling by the statue with Alethea, and Streibough solo'd him offscreen. In the end, we'll never know for sure.

You make a fair point regarding my theory. It really doesn't change much. Ultimately, I think the true dealbreaker was Hasshe's death. Hasshe was the true hero of the story, all along. He even had his own protagonist arc. Had he lived, he would've been able to corroborate Oersted's story, and the people would've been less reluctant to turn on him. Even if he was demonized alongside Uranus and Oersted, he was stronger than Oersted. He probably would've been able to save Uranus and get all three of them out of the palace safely. And then, the two heroes of old would've been able to back Oersted up, keep him from straying to the path of dark when his day turns from bad to worse... Or take him down, should he still fall to the dark influence. Alas, he had to go where Arran is...

I love this, because just like the rest of the chapter, it's a great deconstruction of the oldest JRPG tropes in the book, the middle age fantasy setting. As I said while I was playing the game, Hasshe and Uranus are clearly set as a parallel to Oersted and Streibough. The jaded, weary heroes of old, making way for a new generation of paragons of justice and good. A tale as old as time itself.

Except, that's not at all what they are. Hasshe and Uranus may've turned jaded and weary, but ultimately, they were far greater people that were less quick to give up on everything. Heck, Hasshe seemed to have enough hatred in him to possibly have turned into the Lord of Dark himself... but he didn't. He turned himself into a hermit, but he didn't succumb to the darkness. And Uranus even kept some traces of hope in his heart all these years later. Meanwhile, Streibough is a manipulative asshole and Oersted is a violent dickhead. Both of them were selfish and hateful. Both of them allowed themselves to turn into the Lord of Dark. The heroes of old made way to the wrong people. And the entire realm paid the price.

...Honestly though, I realize that, while you may be a bit too lenient on Oersted, I'm probably too strict. The man may've not been perfect, but the amount of suffering and betrayal he underwent in such a short time is just... nobody should suffer like that. Still, he failed to resist the temptation in the end. He took all of his hatred, all of his anger, and let them burn him to ashes. There is an interesting comparison to be made between Oersted and the seven protagonists of the game. Almost all of them suffer great losses as well. Akira loses his parents, his best friend and has to watch his sister struggle with a severe sickness he can do nothing about. Pogo is casted out of his tribe and eventually loses Beru as well. The Earthen Heart heir watches the Shifu die in front of them. Masaru has to hear that he led a crazed murderer to the people he had looked up to and learned from.

But perhaps the most direct and interesting comparison, Sundown lost absolutely everything - not unlike Oersted - before his story even starts. In fact... So did O. Dio. And each of them takes a path. Sundown takes the path of Hasshe, turning himself into a pariah and waiting for death to embrace him, only coming out of his rut years later to do "something good and decent" for once, because he's a genuinelly good person. And O. Dio let his hatred consume him and used his power for evil, just like Oersted. In the end, Oersted embodies what any of the protagonists could've turned into, had they not been as emotionally strong as they were.

tl;dr: I love this game. It gets me rambling, which is always a good sign.

Spoiler

Streibough may have been right, though if they had taken Hasshe's words and deeds as a learning opportunity and they had worked together to save Alathea... well the events we saw mightn't have happened. But this wasn't a story of people overcoming their difficulties and insecurities for the better of everyone, that's the game's actual final chapter.

Alathea meanwhile is a character whose circumstances ensured she would be in a no-win scenario whoever won the final fight because from the first the two were at odds and the stakes involved other's lives, hers included. Maybe Oersted could have been someone who let others matter and even been better about these circumstances and called them out, but that was not his wont.

The quotes were something that helped me see the point that Oersted's competitive nature and that battle, victory and glory is the thing that drives him, where he finds value. Which is something that I'd say none of the other protagonists see as their primary aim, barring Masaru who takes a different tack and wants to be someone who learns from his foes and doesn't see them as bugs to squash underfoot.

I said the sequence after Oersted kills the king was the weakest part for a few reasons. It's being sudden is one thing, but in the immediate fallout of the king's death the minister and nearby guards jump right to Demon King as the first and only assumption, then end up handling Oersted by not arresting him after some of them have Uranus caught and he tells Oersted to run. So he does and the rest of the guards only spread the word, where people then shut their doors to Oersted and when he gets to the outer gate the last guards throw him out. The person they're accusing of being the Lord of Dark and kingslayer. That's how they respond to that? No wonder the king looked for a son in law when his guards can't arrest his murderer when they have him!

Ahem. So the game then expects you to bring Oersted to the house with the fanboy without any suggestion to run to Familia specifically. I'm pretty sure you don't get a hint in the minimap for this either. Oersted running around killing guards is fine I suppose, but I may have wanted this bit to be longer (then again it's from a remake of a 1994 game that they're pretty faithful to the story structure of), get a further sense of the damage this has caused him beyond the castle. After that, the game asks you to either turn yourself in or go to the Archon's roost and turn around immediately because you won't be able to climb up yet. This is also a bit of a weakness imo, a bit of slow pacing that can end up with the player lost too. Then you get Uranus pleading for Oersted to be better but there's pretty much no chance as he doubles down on killing as he flees and Streibough will not be so open to discussion.

So aside from why this bit is a bit lesser to me, your point about him being suspected does add up and make sense still. But it's a shame that the execution of this hews much closer to the original versus the amazing ending bit of this chapter. Uranus being guilty by association does make sense though, considering how did he survive when Hasshe didn't and defended the kingslayer.

I do lean towards whatever Odio was in that period was gone, slain by Hasshe, but the malevolence it brings was still there, resting at the very pinnacle. That it was this power Fake Odio and Streibough had come to grasp at but not fully seizing before Oersted took the reins wholeheartedly.

Hasshe, the hero soured by his duty being taken for granted, only for him to take it more to heart when he dons his armour again. Him and Uranus a duo who were genuine in trying to protect the people and stop the Lord of Dark. The dark reflections that Oersted and Streibough in their mirroring of the heroes of yore end up twisting the world they were thought to be protecting. It's sad that Hasshe was technically right, in that there were such bad people that he didn't want to be protecting. But they didn't quite know the scope of the trouble Lucrece would be in when they were the only champions left, much as they tried to ask them to be better.

Oersted and Streibough went through hardships and facing them they chose to force the world to their whims, to give them the endings they wanted. How unlike the protagonists indeed as you go into.

You know what I like? For all that we might empathise with one more than the other, we agree that Oersted and Streibough were still wrong to act as they did in the end. Their actions made a bad situation into a tragedy and potential doom of the world but for the intervention of better people who took the actions necessary.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

"You mean you couldn't take 7 hits at once? Damm game must be busted!"

1 minute ago, Newtype06 said:

One of the few good things this goddamned ending gave us

Well…um…I’m over a third of the way through Nifft the Lean and already the main character dragged a false lover down into hell to meet his fate at the hands of his dead lover, Nifft stole black pearls from a vampire queen, and now has to help a lord who has spared his life during an execution by fishing in one of the seas of hell.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

The main questline is done. Phew, what a ride. But I'm far from finishing this.

Any particular things you're planning on going for?

2 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Well…um…I’m over a third of the way through Nifft the Lean and already the main character dragged a false lover down into hell to meet his fate at the hands of his dead lover, Nifft stole black pearls from a vampire queen, and now has to help a lord who has spared his life during an execution by fishing in one of the seas of hell.

Nifft seems to have a lot of going to hell going on.

Is it that easy in the setting of is it something Nifft is particularly talented at?

2 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Nifft seems to have a lot of going to hell going on.

Is it that easy in the setting of is it something Nifft is particularly talented at?

Nifft is a master thief, in the first story the dead lover provided him and his partner a spell to get into hell and in the one where he has to fish in the demon sea I think he’s going to have to find a portal to hell first.

5 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Any particular things you're planning on going for?

Well, I still need to finish the Civil War. Might seem anti-climatic after Alduin, heh, but well.

Then I still need to go through the DLC, which I'll do afterwards.

Ya know, while the battle bgm are absolute bangers 3, the field themes.. not so much.

Nothing on the level of Tantal, Michael Ardain or Gormtt, for example

Edited by Shrimpy

1 hour ago, Shrimpy said:

The most important question in the game

Reveal hidden contents

Short vs. Long Hair

Spoiler

Pretty sure you can change it via options. Could be wrong there.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:
  Hide contents

Pretty sure you can change it via options. Could be wrong there.

Truly showing how to deal with such things masterfully.