I mean you're like 30 levels overlvld xD

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean i don't remember the World Tree being that long

It was gigantic m8

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

utomatically heal after every fight

Something i always appreciated in Xenoblade tbh

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

: the final boss is five phases long. And yes, if you lose at any point, you will have to redo it all.

Bro.

Min. 3 Healer + 1 tank with revival ring then xD

38 minutes ago, Armagon said:

these things called fast travel points lmao.

Yeah what were they thinking in Arise lmao

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

20 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

It was gigantic m8

Maybe because I've played through the game so many times now that it doesn't feel that long to me.

21 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Min. 3 Healer + 1 tank with revival ring then xD

I won first try with a pretty balanced team. As in, two attackers, two defenders and two healers+Fiona.

21 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Yeah what were they thinking in Arise lmao

They tease you with a warp point at the end but you gotta do a fucking gauntlet to unlock it, what the fuck man.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They tease you with a warp point at the end but you gotta do a fucking gauntlet to unlock it, what the fuck man.

I literally used all of my healing items.

Atleast for once hoarding items was useful xD

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The following day you will tell us you have maxed out your level.

Way to ruin the surprise... XD

30 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

I mean you're like 30 levels overlvld xD

You just had to go there, didn't you..? lmao

44 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Teehee thread spoiler season

I don't think we ever had that many spoiler tags in this thread xD

Spoiler

Dracula was a vampire the entire time!

Ladies, gentlemen and otherwise.

It has happened.

I have done it.

I have rid myself of Three Houses at last.

I now have three less houses.

...Dread got as planned. Breath of the Wild was the only other option, but that game's too massive, I don't want to get into something like that right now, with those pesky summer sale games still waiting. I don't think I'll start today, I want to play Dragon Age today, but we'll see.

Also for some reason I've been getting the whim to play FE1, but I probably will get out of that before long.

18 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Garon x kaga fic written by Ruben when

One day. One day.

18 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

There's also Golems of Amgarrak if you want the hardest content

Later. I have forgotten how to play, I'd just get my ass kicked.

Stone Prisoner if you want Shale (a dwarf who was turned into a Golem)

A golem? Sounds neat, but would I get him in Awakening?

Leliana's Song if you want to know her past

I recruited Leliana, found her obvious French accent funny (it was only later that I learned France was a country in Dragon Age) and then I proceeded to never use her and lose her after Wynne's unfortunate accidental death. That's the full extent of my experience with her.

She did look entertaining. She seemed completely insane. But alas, it was not to be. I don't think I'll check this out just yet. I don't plan to play all the DLCs, I've told you how terrible I am at DLCs already.

and Witch Hunt if you want to know what happened to Morrigan.

Ehhh

You can also stab her

Okay that does sound nice.

Looking through the wiki I also discovered an extra DLC chapter called A Tale of Orzammar, it was apparently a promotion for the game released on a magazine. It was up for download, so I figured, why not.

18 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

I apologise for taking so much time.

Please, I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Hide contents

Streibough may have been right, though if they had taken Hasshe's words and deeds as a learning opportunity and they had worked together to save Alathea... well the events we saw mightn't have happened. But this wasn't a story of people overcoming their difficulties and insecurities for the better of everyone, that's the game's actual final chapter.

Alathea meanwhile is a character whose circumstances ensured she would be in a no-win scenario whoever won the final fight because from the first the two were at odds and the stakes involved other's lives, hers included. Maybe Oersted could have been someone who let others matter and even been better about these circumstances and called them out, but that was not his wont.

The quotes were something that helped me see the point that Oersted's competitive nature and that battle, victory and glory is the thing that drives him, where he finds value. Which is something that I'd say none of the other protagonists see as their primary aim, barring Masaru who takes a different tack and wants to be someone who learns from his foes and doesn't see them as bugs to squash underfoot.

I said the sequence after Oersted kills the king was the weakest part for a few reasons. It's being sudden is one thing, but in the immediate fallout of the king's death the minister and nearby guards jump right to Demon King as the first and only assumption, then end up handling Oersted by not arresting him after some of them have Uranus caught and he tells Oersted to run. So he does and the rest of the guards only spread the word, where people then shut their doors to Oersted and when he gets to the outer gate the last guards throw him out. The person they're accusing of being the Lord of Dark and kingslayer. That's how they respond to that? No wonder the king looked for a son in law when his guards can't arrest his murderer when they have him!

Ahem. So the game then expects you to bring Oersted to the house with the fanboy without any suggestion to run to Familia specifically. I'm pretty sure you don't get a hint in the minimap for this either. Oersted running around killing guards is fine I suppose, but I may have wanted this bit to be longer (then again it's from a remake of a 1994 game that they're pretty faithful to the story structure of), get a further sense of the damage this has caused him beyond the castle. After that, the game asks you to either turn yourself in or go to the Archon's roost and turn around immediately because you won't be able to climb up yet. This is also a bit of a weakness imo, a bit of slow pacing that can end up with the player lost too. Then you get Uranus pleading for Oersted to be better but there's pretty much no chance as he doubles down on killing as he flees and Streibough will not be so open to discussion.

So aside from why this bit is a bit lesser to me, your point about him being suspected does add up and make sense still. But it's a shame that the execution of this hews much closer to the original versus the amazing ending bit of this chapter. Uranus being guilty by association does make sense though, considering how did he survive when Hasshe didn't and defended the kingslayer.

I do lean towards whatever Odio was in that period was gone, slain by Hasshe, but the malevolence it brings was still there, resting at the very pinnacle. That it was this power Fake Odio and Streibough had come to grasp at but not fully seizing before Oersted took the reins wholeheartedly.

Hasshe, the hero soured by his duty being taken for granted, only for him to take it more to heart when he dons his armour again. Him and Uranus a duo who were genuine in trying to protect the people and stop the Lord of Dark. The dark reflections that Oersted and Streibough in their mirroring of the heroes of yore end up twisting the world they were thought to be protecting. It's sad that Hasshe was technically right, in that there were such bad people that he didn't want to be protecting. But they didn't quite know the scope of the trouble Lucrece would be in when they were the only champions left, much as they tried to ask them to be better.

Oersted and Streibough went through hardships and facing them they chose to force the world to their whims, to give them the endings they wanted. How unlike the protagonists indeed as you go into.

You know what I like? For all that we might empathise with one more than the other, we agree that Oersted and Streibough were still wrong to act as they did in the end. Their actions made a bad situation into a tragedy and potential doom of the world but for the intervention of better people who took the actions necessary.

Spoiler

Yes, you said it best in the first paragraph. There's a lot of things that could've been, but ultimately, the reason the story ended the way it did is because neither Streibough nor Oersted were good people. Oersted, and perhaps even Streibough were wronged, but so was everyone else. They were the ones who decided to take revenge rather than rise above their hardships. It's what sets them apart from the rest of the main cast.

You bring up an interesting point about Masaru. I struggle to imagine he thinks of them as "foes" at all, even. He wants to be the strongest warrior, but not out of love for violence, but rather the martial arts themselves. The former is Odie O'bright. And... perhaps Oersted, as well.

Yeah, I'll admit you make good points about the exile sequence. At no point did it occur to them that this supposed "Lord of Dark" seemed a bit too sheepish, merely escaping while he was supposed to have enough power to destroy all of them and enough evil to want to do it? But still, I guess it could be chalked up to them panicking. He did just kill the king for seemingly no reason.

I actually never knew you could go to the Archon's Roost and get arrested there. I always just went to Lucrece whenever I wanted to end the sequence. I'll admit it's a bit of a clunky segment. Could've done with a bit of an extension - at least force the player to go to the kid, that's a great moment that is completely missable.

I agree with everything you said in the final three paragraphs. It really is such a unique little tale. It turns every convention of the most generic JRPG setting imaginable on its head, and that's exactly what makes it so great.

12 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Something I've wanted to do before really going into the older games is play the ones I've already played but as an Ironman. Feel that'd be a nice way to ease into it.

It's not such a bad idea. Although modern FEs aren't geared towards Ironmanning at all, it's still a fun little challenge, if you have the capacity to stick to it. Unfortunately, a pure Ironman mode has never been implemented, so accepting permadeath runs on the honor system.

8 hours ago, BrightBow said:

In the end, they really did become sail. The legends were true.

Kaga knows the memes.

Completely breaks the map, but screw it. Unlimited Power!

Honestly, the map sucks ass anyway. Might as well have something cool happening in it, at least.

Now that you're so far in, any personal favorites of note?

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade 3's long-ass final dungeon is better for the simple fact that you automatically heal after every fight

1 hour ago, Shrimpy said:

Something i always appreciated in Xenoblade tbh

Hey guys, do you want me to tell you something nice that Live a Live does--

1 hour ago, Shrimpy said:
  Hide contents

qcnofzogfdg91.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Why does that man look like a massive meme.

And also like he has a massive need for eight-to-ten hours of sleep.

Seriously someone give that guy a bed, he's about to fall over.

56 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

So, Those neck deep spoilers eh?

Hide contents

I am so lost right now.

In Akira's dungeon and I am officially lost.

Ahhh, that one.

Spoiler

All the things the main Medieval cast says here are so interesting.

55 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Teehee thread spoiler season

I don't think we ever had that many spoiler tags in this thread xD

Eh I remember a couple times.

10 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:
  Hide contents

Dracula was a vampire the entire time!

What is a vampire? A miserable pile of secrets!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Speaking of FE1. I just discovered, some really bored soul decided to translate both NES FEs to Spanish, alongside their manuals. From nothing, too. This guy has given consistency the middle finger and translated the game on a vacuum. So now Mars's girlfriend is called "Theda." Amazing.

Also, the manuals. That's actually kinda awesome. I don't believe there are any other translations of the manuals of these games, are there? If there are, at least I've been unable to find them.

EDIT: Oh, they've already translated this Spanish translation to English. I can't believe my compatriot is a hero.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's not such a bad idea. Although modern FEs aren't geared towards Ironmanning at all, it's still a fun little challenge, if you have the capacity to stick to it. Unfortunately, a pure Ironman mode has never been implemented, so accepting permadeath runs on the honor system.

Oh for sure, but I imagine it'd still help me figure out what things I should be thinking about. I'd also be playing at a higher difficulty for once since even in casual normal mode I do a decent job at keeping everyone alive.

Basically I want to play these older games without feeling the need to restart because my literal least favorite thing to do in any video game ever is do the same thing over and over again just to fix one mistake.

5 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Oh for sure, but I imagine it'd still help me figure out what things I should be thinking about. I'd also be playing at a higher difficulty for once since even in casual normal mode I do a decent job at keeping everyone alive.

Basically I want to play these older games without feeling the need to restart because my literal least favorite thing to do in any video game ever is do the same thing over and over again just to fix one mistake.

Sure, give it a shot. It can be quite fun, if quite heartbreaking.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

You played 2 in a day? O:

I'm just that good /s

idk if I'm going to play 2 or not, don't kill me Xenofolks

18 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Welcome to the cult of Xeno!

Oh, and have fun! I guess there's that, as well. XD

thanks

uw2RykrX_o.png

What

the absolute

FUCK

And you know the best part?

This is actually the most accurate translation.

Yeah, in complete disbelief, I googled "Meiben." That yielded this result. In even greater disbelief, I googled Mycen's Japanese name. Turns out it's just the city's name, plainly copied.

Mycen's just gibberish, as it turns out. Everyone is wrong except for this one Spanish madman who went "fuck it, Meißen it is."

I am in shock.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

It's probably pronounced the same either way.

Probably, but still. The last thing one expects from a random-ass Spanish translation of NESFE in 2021 is German characters.

Another game specific direct coming, this one for Splatoon 3 for a half hour. As if we were getting a general one in August.

26 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also for some reason I've been getting the whim to play FE1, but I probably will get out of that before long.

Is it because of this:

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Speaking of FE1. I just discovered, some really bored soul decided to translate both NES FEs to Spanish, alongside their manuals. From nothing, too. This guy has given consistency the middle finger and translated the game on a vacuum. So now Mars's girlfriend is called "Theda." Amazing.

Also, the manuals. That's actually kinda awesome. I don't believe there are any other translations of the manuals of these games, are there? If there are, at least I've been unable to find them.

EDIT: Oh, they've already translated this Spanish translation to English. I can't believe my compatriot is a hero.

Really, not using Shiida? Trash translation /s

He raises a good point about the manuals, it was very much the intention of the time that they were a part of the experience.

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, you said it best in the first paragraph. There's a lot of things that could've been, but ultimately, the reason the story ended the way it did is because neither Streibough nor Oersted were good people. Oersted, and perhaps even Streibough were wronged, but so was everyone else. They were the ones who decided to take revenge rather than rise above their hardships. It's what sets them apart from the rest of the main cast.

You bring up an interesting point about Masaru. I struggle to imagine he thinks of them as "foes" at all, even. He wants to be the strongest warrior, but not out of love for violence, but rather the martial arts themselves. The former is Odie O'bright. And... perhaps Oersted, as well.

Yeah, I'll admit you make good points about the exile sequence. At no point did it occur to them that this supposed "Lord of Dark" seemed a bit too sheepish, merely escaping while he was supposed to have enough power to destroy all of them and enough evil to want to do it? But still, I guess it could be chalked up to them panicking. He did just kill the king for seemingly no reason.

I actually never knew you could go to the Archon's Roost and get arrested there. I always just went to Lucrece whenever I wanted to end the sequence. I'll admit it's a bit of a clunky segment. Could've done with a bit of an extension - at least force the player to go to the kid, that's a great moment that is completely missable.

I agree with everything you said in the final three paragraphs. It really is such a unique little tale. It turns every convention of the most generic JRPG setting imaginable on its head, and that's exactly what makes it so great.

Spoiler

Funny that we mention them not rising above their issues, when we hear Streibough pretty much say he wouldn't have chosen not to take the actions he did in the Trial of Mind.

If they're foes, they're not something to be put down for existing. He clearly wants to learn from them and sees their techniques as theirs even as he learns them himself in the end (And with that sentence is better than Goku)

I didn't know that about the Archon's Roost either until I saw it. Naturally, the game leaving you to your own devices here means people could go about it one way all the time and never know there was another.

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahhh, that one.

Reveal hidden contents

All the things the main Medieval cast says here are so interesting.

Spoiler

I got out of there at least. Hearing Hasshe say that he could see Oersted's bad nature and was trying to get him to do better makes his end all the sadder. And of course Streibough asking how much of the monster did he create.

Started with Masaru, beaten Akira and Oboro's dungeons so far, have recruited Pogo and currently looking to switch in Sundown after putting Yun in place of Oboro. Plan is to then do Masaru and Pogo's dungeons, then get Cube in and

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

uw2RykrX_o.png

What

the absolute

FUCK

And you know the best part?

This is actually the most accurate translation.

Yeah, in complete disbelief, I googled "Meiben." That yielded this result. In even greater disbelief, I googled Mycen's Japanese name. Turns out it's just the city's name, plainly copied.

Mycen's just gibberish, as it turns out. Everyone is wrong except for this one Spanish madman who went "fuck it, Meißen it is."

I am in shock.

MY SEN

MY SEN

OH, ALMSOLOOOOOL

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Probably, but still. The last thing one expects from a random-ass Spanish translation of NESFE in 2021 is German characters.

Considering it's that character, I don't think the pronunciation differs much either.

By the way.

When I was going through the screenshots and the manual, I was a bit sad because the rest of the names seemed rather mundane.

That is, until I saw the absolute badass translated Boey as Boy.

Okay I think I love this translator guy.

2 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Another game specific direct coming, this one for Splatoon 3 for a half hour. As if we were getting a general one in August.

How cute.

And here I thought they couldn't possibly do a Direct I could have less interest in after Xeno 3.

Xeno 3 is at least a game I can play.

Is it because of this:

No, actually. I've discovered this after the fact. You see, I had 20 minutes to kill before setting out from home for the city yesterday. I didn't want to play Dragon Age and have to reupload my hefty saves zip to my Drive, so I decided "you know what, let's recruit Riff to pass the time."

Today I was looking for manual translations, out of curiosity (if I end up doing this, I'll go full old-school and check the manual for statistics), and found this. What a rabbit hole.

He raises a good point about the manuals, it was very much the intention of the time that they were a part of the experience.

Definitely. They used them to store information that couldn't be made to fit in the time's smaller games. It's why I wanted to find translations. These things are genuinely cool.

5 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Hide contents

Funny that we mention them not rising above their issues, when we hear Streibough pretty much say he wouldn't have chosen not to take the actions he did in the Trial of Mind.

If they're foes, they're not something to be put down for existing. He clearly wants to learn from them and sees their techniques as theirs even as he learns them himself in the end (And with that sentence is better than Goku)

I didn't know that about the Archon's Roost either until I saw it. Naturally, the game leaving you to your own devices here means people could go about it one way all the time and never know there was another.

Spoiler

Streibough may've gotten cucked, but he's still a piece of shit. No doubt about it.

lol F for Goku

5 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:
  Hide contents

I got out of there at least. Hearing Hasshe say that he could see Oersted's bad nature and was trying to get him to do better makes his end all the sadder. And of course Streibough asking how much of the monster did he create.

Started with Masaru, beaten Akira and Oboro's dungeons so far, have recruited Pogo and currently looking to switch in Sundown after putting Yun in place of Oboro. Plan is to then do Masaru and Pogo's dungeons, then get Cube in and

Spoiler

I didn't want to bring it up till now, but... Yeah. Hasshe's phantom line is perhaps the most damning bit of evidence that Oersted was never the perfect knight in shining armor he seemed.

Ironic, isn't it? Hasshe, who had given up on mankind for years, failed to prevent the realm's downfall... because he believed in the wrong man. Ouch...

MY SEN

MY SEN

OH, ALMSOLOOOOOL

My What? Senno?

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

I mean, if eng tl had Meißen some would go "dafuq is this"

No yeah, absolutely. I mean, my mind went "meiben" and it made my brain want to puke inside my skull. But still. This has been a most interesting discovery. I almost want to actually give these ancient-ass games a real chance, just to see what other messes this guy has made of my precious internalized official names.