• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade 3 review soon

™️

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Collection Points were superior...

If only blade requirements weren't stoopid.

Or well, just not forcing us to equip the blades would've madecit much better

40 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This screenshot makes me wonder: what’s your core party looking like in this game? Or are you alternating who you use throughout the story?

How far are you now, also?

I don't have a core party really, I just use whoever is behind in levels (I used this approach for SC and 3rd also). The fact that Act 2 allows you to change your party freely whenever you're not on a mission makes this easer. I'm currently at Roer, where I brought Gaius, Elliot, and Emma for two of the trial chests... and Fie because I felt like it.

I'm only 33 hours in, but from what I recall you were still on Act 2 50 hours in, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. CSII seems to be shorter than CSI from what I've found.

On the topic, I'm also wondering if I have the right idea of everyone's gameplay archetypes, based on their default Master Quartz and crafts...

Spoiler
  • Rean is a fast attacker
  • Alisa and Jusis are mixed attackers
  • Elliot is a healer
  • Emma is an offensive mage
  • Laura is a strong girl with a big sword
  • Fie is a speedy girl
  • Millium is a strong and tanky girl
  • Machias is a defensive support, I think
  • Gaius and Sara are also fast attackers, probably, though Sara might be another mixed attacker and Gaius's default MQ makes him dodgy

I could give all the physical attackers stat boosters, support arts, and status inflictors while giving the arts users spells and EP Cut, Cast, etc. but I wonder if there are any particular builds I should look into.

As far as I know Trails from Zero gives you the same four characters for the majority of the game, so character-building should probably be less complicated there.

25 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Since the date is 12/15. he's in Act 2 Part 1.

This screenshot was actually taken last week (I'm currently on 12/21), but there's a funny story about it in particular...

Spoiler

Since I didn't return to the Courageous between recruiting Vivi and learning of Fiona's capture, I went back to a previous save to see if Vivi had anything funny to say when you first talk to her.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

24 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

On the topic, I'm also wondering if I have the right idea of everyone's gameplay archetypes, based on their default Master Quartz and crafts.

You cant go wrong in CS, literally no setup could possibly fail you.

But, having Fie focus on evasion over spd is something I recommend, although it makes the enemy basically unable to win. (More so than they already cant)

"It's a wild ride, this passage of fate". (Xenoblade 3 review)

Guys i gotta be real with you, writing a review of this game was hard. As of the writing of this, it's basically been a week after i've finished the game because i just have so many thoughts to go through (i got the game a week in advance). Xenoblade 3 has not impacted me in a way any other game has since......well since Xenoblade 2. I had to actually sit and sort out my thoughts on this game because there truly is a lot. I guess i should begin with my favorite aspect of this game: the characters. Xenoblade 3 contains probably my new favorite cast of characters in any video game. Their interactions and their development is so expertly crafted and this is further enhanced by the direction of the scenes they are in. Unlike most games, the main party of Xenoblade 3 is together from basically the start of the game. This actually works to a unique advantage as the game is able to frontload all of the character introductions instead of needing later chapters to introduce someone new. I can think of one other game i've played that did this: Baten Kaitos Origins, another game i've praised for it's excellent cast. But that game only had a party of three. This game has a party of six and the fact that it balances each and every one of them so well is genuinely impressive. It's very easy for a JRPG to develop what i like to call "character irrelevancy syndrome", where some characters are just there for the ride. How much depends on the game. Looking at this series' past, character irrelevancy syndrome was at it's worst in Xenogears and Xenoblade 1. It impacted the Xenosaga trilogy less, Xenoblade 2 and Torna actually avoided the issue for the most part and Xenoblade X is too different. Xenoblade 3 avoids the issue completely and uniquely because the entire party is the main character here. Noah, Mio, Eunie, Taion, Lanz, Sena, all six are the main characters. I feel like if i start going into too much detail, this review will never end but one storytelling device i really like in this game is how each character in a pair has access to the other's memories, which allows for some interesting character moments. The character moments are so good in fact, that you honestly won’t even notice Heart-to-Hearts are gone, at least in the traditional sense. I also want to give a unique shoutout to Noah/Mio for becoming the new peak romantic duo.

When it comes to the story, this is probably the most character-centric story in the entire series. As I mentioned above, the character introductions are frontloaded so the story itself is able to get moving much more quicker, in a natural way. This game only has seven chapters but the content of each of them is very much worth telling and practically every chapter contains at least several moments of raw kino. The good news is that, despite this game taking place a large, unspecified amount of time after Xenoblade 1 and 2, you do not need to play those two games to understand this game. That being said, your appreciation for the game will be much greater if you have. I can’t go into too much detail when it comes to the story as i’d rather not give too much away but it is very good and even manages to get away with things i would normally criticize, namely, the villains in this game. The villains in this game are not personally engaging in my opinion (outside of one i guess) and yet, they serve their roles in the story very well, which saves them from me tearing them open a new one like i usually do with bad and mediocre villains in RPGs. When the villains narratively work, even if i don't like them, i will allow them.

But of course, this is a video game so there is the gameplay to discuss. Simply put, this game feels like an amalgamation of the best elements out of previous entries. Now to be honest, i still think Xenoblade 2 has the best flow of combat thanks to stutterstepping but the amount of options you have in this game are so good. You’re constantly unlocking classes that all play differently from each other, the Gem system is handled at it’s best, the implementation of Chain Attacks is at it’s best. Fusion Arts, Arts that allow you to fuse the effects of two Arts into one, is one of this game’s greatest strengths because it allows you to do some really funny things. And then there’s the main gimmick of this game: Ouroborous. Two characters fusing to create what is basically a mech that both looks cool and is cool to play. The cool thing about Ouroboros is that while they are incredibly powerful, at no point do they trivialize the game. They are a powerful boost to your abilities but they also have clear drawbacks, which is neat because this game does admittedly have a balancing problem, that is, Agnian Classes are superior to Kevesi Classes (even if the latter are fun too) because Takahashi said Xenoblade 2 superior. The entire combat system is enhanced by the incredible soundtrack, as this game might just contain the best variety of combat tracks yet.

Beyond the combat, the game just has numerous quality of life improvements as expected. The Follow Ball from Xenoblade X returns but better, Unique Monster graves serve as fast travel points, you can spend Nopon Coins to craft things that you don’t have the materials too, the game tells you how to upgrade each class, etc. Exploring the world of Aionios is also a treat. While Planet Mira still wins in terms of being truly open world, Aionios is a wonderful world to explore that has enough references to previous games that fans will point to them like Leonardo DiCaprio while also just serving as it’s own world. While it may not be as visually interesting as Bionis, Alrest or the alien wonder of Mira, (though Xenoblade 3 as a whole is the best looking game in the series) Aionios surprised me by having the most living world in the series. The side quests in this game are unmatched and i was not expecting this because the only Xenoblade game before to have actually good side quests was X and to a lesser extent, Torna. And yet, not only did Xenoblade 3 match the bar that X set, in some ways, it exceeded it. While Xenoblade X wins in the department for crazier side quests, especially the ones that have actual branching paths that matter, Xenoblade 3 guarantees that each side quest features unique input from the party and the fact that every quest feels like a mini short story, especially the Hero Quests. And as of this writing I’m still doing quests, i haven’t finished that part, because each and every one of them is worth it in this game. For a world trapped in a forever war, it truly feels alive. But the game does remind you that there is a war going on. Many have pointed out that the area’s themes are nowhere near as bombastic as the previous games. There is no comparison to Gaur Plain, Mor Ardain, Noctilum here. You’re not going on some grand adventure like in the previous games and that is reflected in this game’s area themes, they are much more atmospheric, i guess is the word. Good songs of course, it’s ACE+, but if you’re someone who says that the area themes are the weakest they’ve been, I honestly wouldn’t disagree.

Any real gripes i have with this game are honestly miniscule in the grand scheme of things. For some reason, leveling down, a default feature of Xenoblade 1 Definitive Edition, is arbitrarily locked behind post-game/NG+. We’ve gone back to single item collection spheres, which wouldn’t be so bad if we had a vehicle outside of Erythia Sea and, on that note, the game could use a sprint button. Aionios is actually gargantuan and while it’s not true open world, it is probably bigger than Xenoblade X at least as far as point A to point B goes. The Chain Attack theme bangs but i wish there was a toggle to not override certain themes. Honestly that shouldn’t need a toggle but here we are. There’s also some things i could say about the plot that i felt didn’t hit but it’s not something hugely detrimental to me. I wouldn’t be able to talk about it without going into spoilers anyways.

Monolith Soft is absolutely crazy. Xenoblade Chronicles X and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are both 10/10 games, it’s not every day a series gets two 10/10 games in a row. And it’s not every day a series does that a third time. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the latest gaming masterpiece from the absolute chads at Monolith Soft and honestly….I think this is my new favorite game of all time. I thought long and hard about this, because taking the spot of my favorite game of all time is not something that is done lightly. No other game has challenged it, not even Xenoblade X. I have so many fond memories of Xenoblade 2 and whenever i would think about this, i would shift back to those memories. But of course i would, i’ve replayed Xenoblade 2 so many times now, I basically know that game like the back of my hand. And sure, there are some things i still think Xenoblade 2 does better. But you know, just like how i’ve played Xenoblade 2 so many times now, I know that Xenoblade 3 will also be a game i’ll be revisiting for years to come.

Screenshot_6974.png?width=477&height=432

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, the first Xenoblade is not a 10/10 game for you...?

Nah. It's like an 8/10. I love it, will forever be grateful for it for introducing me to this wonderful series. But it's not a 10/10 game for me.

Troubadour class is cool with the art recharge and stuff.

Also changed Sena from Incursor to learn some other stuff and i already miss her Incursoring already xD

The others just aren't as good with it as she was

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

.I think this is my new favorite game of all time

Tis done boys, the decision has been made!

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

the implementation of Chain Attacks is at it’s best.

Hmm

This i am not sure about honestly. I feel if the orders were more than damage/aggro related it would've been perfect, but atm i feel 2s chain attacks offered me more than just huge damage.

Otherwise your review hit similar thoughts to mine atm honestly.

Edited by Shrimpy

23 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

but atm i feel 2s chain attacks offered me more than just huge damage.

....you know. I know we both talked about it but I fear I may have to turn in my Xeno fan card cause I never corrected you on it. But uh, XC2 Chain Attacks....were pure damage. The Seal Effects came from the Orbs generated by the Blade Combos. The Chain Attacks.....break those Orbs. So it removes the Seals.

I mean both Chain Attacks tbf are for pure damage but I think there's more strategizing going into 3's. 2's Chain Attacks were just "hit the opposite element", not that 2's aren't hype.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

I'm only 33 hours in, but from what I recall you were still on Act 2 50 hours in, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. CSII seems to be shorter than CSI from what I've found.

It is the second shortest game in the franchise.

On the topic, I'm also wondering if I have the right idea of everyone's gameplay archetypes, based on their default Master Quartz and crafts...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dk_L4IvU4AEAO0x?format=jpg&name=large

I went back to a previous save to see if Vivi had anything funny to say when you first talk to her.

She always has. Keep up the good work!

Smile Zoom In GIF - Smile Zoom In Beard Guy - Discover & Share GIFs

46 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_6974.png?width=477&height=432

And I spend money on CrossCode, a game that's not even Top 5. Smh

Jokes aside, it really did avoid the third entry curse, didn't it?

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

The Seal Effects came from the Orbs generated by the Blade Combos. The Chain Attacks.....break those Orbs. So it removes the Seals.

Wait

Am i misremembering something here xD

Probably

You had to do the blade combos in a certain order to get the effects right

Probably why i confused it with chain attack

XD

13 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

And I spend money on CrossCode, a game that's not even Top 5. Smh

Hey it used to be in the top 5 haha.

13 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Jokes aside, it really did avoid the third entry curse, didn't it?

Pretty much. It instead got the third entry blessing.

12 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

You had to do the blade combos in a certain order to get the effects right

Yes. And you could fuse those with Driver Combos for extra damage and effects.

Now that I think about it, Fusion Arts we're definitely born from the same idea.