• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

unknown.png

Today in incredibly situational tactics.

That font.😂 The Nintendo Power game guide, I can recognize it right away. I might still have mine.

Ah, memories of a past long gone. When my liking for the Fire Emblem franchise was so vivid and innocent.

It might be possible in FE8 for Myrrh's Dragonstone to be stolen, that'd be niche yet useful, although I'm not sure the thieves in Lagdou Ruins will try to do it.

23 hours ago, Armagon said:

I didn't realize before but damn, there's a severe lack of Defender classes in Xenoblade 3 compared to Attacker and Healer classes.

Hopefully the DLC Heroes correct some of that.

If Healer includes buffs and or debuffs support, then I could see why that might be the case. Defender is kinda itself a form of support. 

To remember XC2, the role distribution was 3-2-2 Attacker-Defender-Healer (excluding the many plot character and special Blades). Technically 3 Healer because generic Chakram Blades ...except there were no Rares with it for no reason.

Going back to XCX, I think it's better to talk about weapons than classes. In that case, Dual Guns can Ghostwalker/Ghost Factory which sometimes works. Shield can Supershield for Reflect (or Iron Prison which is weaker but lasts longer) and Trash Talk for Taunt, making it one of the best. Assault Rifle has Decoy Round for Taunt, but nothing to buff the user's durability other than the iffy Medic Free. Javelin and Photon Saber can Reflect. Longsword is better brutalizing with raw damage, but I did see someone use Frye on foot against Pharsis the Everqueen using Defensive Stance, so it's viable. Psycho Launchers has Astral Protection. And although it isn't very reliable if you're trying to solo a colossal Tyrant due to a 5% minimum hit rate assuring you'll eventually be OHKO'ed, I believe the Knife has an evasion-boosting aura.

Traveling back yet further to XC1, Reyn is made to hold aggro, Dunban can dodgetank and keep the aggro almost as well, Seven does have an aura with Lock-On and enough agility and durability and damage output for aggro generation that they can try to tank. Riki has the HP to do so, but a total lack of talent at holding the aggro. So 3-4ish of the 7 characters have tanking potential.

Going outside of Xenoblade in what's to me the familiar territory of Etrian Odyssey, in these six 10-15 class games, there has only been two or three styles of tank. To pick Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, it breaks down the tank role primarily into two classes- Protector and Beast. Which I consider two fundamental versions of what it can mean to be a tank in an RPG. Don't read this if you don't want to!

• The Protector mitigates or negates some of the damage taken everyone via strong single-turn defense buffs. The minimal duration means they need to spam them to do their job, they don't have much time to do other things.
  • The Beast redirects incoming damage from others to itself, and takes that pain with a partial damage reduction.
  • The Beast is the risker of these two picks.
    • Since, the Beast has to try surviving the brunt of lots of damage, especially if the enemy uses an attack that hits everyone, that's five blows to endure. It can readily become too much for the Beast to bear even with its top-tier durability. If the Beast gets KO'ed, the rest of your team is really liable to be wiped out.
    • The EO2U Protector, meanwhile, doesn't worry about taken down, it has great durability too and it doesn't force itself to take the pain of others.
  • However, the Beast can be worth the challenge of making it try to survive every possible attack. 
    • Since if the Beast does stay alive all the time, it doesn't really matter what the durability of the Beast's teammates is.
    • The Protector's defensive abilities can't be guaranteed to mitigate enough incoming damage to keep the most fragile of characters alive on EO2U's Expert difficulty.
    • Thus, the Protector prefers a team that has some natural durability, which it can accentuate for guaranteed survival. A well-prepared Beast is better if you have a wet tissue paper teammate or two, and presumably they have enough offense to compensate for being so flimsy .
  • Protector and Beast also have different healer preferences.
    • The Protector works just fine with more gradual, spread-out healing that affects the entire team. A Sovereign's Protect Order for HP regeneration for instance. Or War Heal All or Salve.
    • The Beast demands instantaneous concentrated healing, War Heal from a War Magus is okay, but a Medic -whose healing usually considered overkill by the smartest of EO fans- is the perfect complement for a Beast, it'll take every point of HP it can regain to live another turn. 

Etrian has also tried the dodgetank approach, but ultimately, it's a form of aggro-holding (technically not the same as forced redirection, but I'm lumping together them here)/damage redirection, essentially. And usually it's been kinda bad in EO, stacking evasion isn't easy, and rarely do the dodgetanks- Survivalists in 1&2, Ninja in 3, Dancer in 4, get a way to redirect row/all-targeting attacks. The best the franchise has done here is with EO5's Phantom Duelist master class, which is actually fairly good at the job, if still a little risky and having no row/party-redirection.

This also ignores that EO in the later games tended to make temporarily shutting down enemy attacks with binds and ailments a perfectly viable strategy much of the time. Which kinda made the dedicated debuffer classes sorta powerful defensively, and usually allowed you to amp up your offensive approach for a few turns. 

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That.... might've been the Switch itself (memory leak issue). Cause I fought Notbart too and I had no issues other than the part where he cheated the first time.

The only technical error I've encountered so far was a loading screen freeze....but I had saved like a minute before so I lost nothing.

Most egregious glitch I saw was this (not mine) but no idea what could've caused it

unknown.png

I didn't realize XC3 had an N64 demake of the Bionis's kneecap in it, the ye olde distance fog must be obscuring the Mechonis.

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hmm...

I guess the "Final" in F Final was them trying to nail the franchise shut at last. But, I get it, success -and money- talk. The franchise's roll into almost unceasing iterations was unintended until Alpha then.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It might be possible in FE8 for Myrrh's Dragonstone to be stolen, that'd be niche yet useful, although I'm not sure the thieves in Lagdou Ruins will try to do it.

For Sacred Stones it's better to use the Gorgon Egg trick, since it restores up to four items, not just one.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I guess the "Final" in F Final was them trying to nail the franchise shut at last. But, I get it, success -and money- talk. The franchise's roll into almost unceasing iterations was unintended until Alpha then.

Indeed. SRW was not going to go beyond Classicverse, then 4 made them change their minds... then again F / F Final did. Man, so good that it happened. Can't even imagine a world without SRW. XD Well, perhaps the idea would've revived years down the road, but it wouldn't have been the same.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Are they interesting at all?

kinda mixed

the Tour ones are just ok, but the other ones are very fun

Kalimari Desert and Waluigi Pinball are some of my favorites from the new wave

36 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If Healer includes buffs and or debuffs support, then I could see why that might be the case. Defender is kinda itself a form of support. 

That is true. There's a lot of ways to make Attack and Healer classes, but there's only so many ways to defend.

Hell we got Healer Classes that are Attack or Defend hybrids too.

34 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

I wanna try Torpedo wraps

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That is true. There's a lot of ways to make Attack and Healer classes, but there's only so many ways to defend.

Hell we got Healer Classes that are Attack or Defend hybrids too.

I mean Lanz could be Hulk fr

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Most egregious glitch I saw was this (not mine) but no idea what could've caused it

unknown.png

It looks like the lads all went out for a nice day at the golf course. There's even a bunker in the back there!

'Morning!

20220811_133502.jpg

I found a superboss.

And uh...well the following isn't a real spoiler of the game as it's more of a reference but I'll tag it just in case you want to explore and see for yourselves

Spoiler

2022081111311700-A862246CB76B2B6DC14022F

Rest in peace Heropon.

(The Legendary Biter draws jn aggro every second, extra-major effect).

Happy birthday, champ

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I imported the only save lol. My girl was exactly the way I left her, same skill shortcuts in the action bar and everything. The only discrepancy is that Alistair is breathing. Which is of course a pretty terrible discrepancy, because I don't want him to breathe.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/950918-dragon-age-origins/57963364

https://steamcommunity.com/app/47810/discussions/0/523897653293685251/

Bad bugs

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Metroid has predictably been failing to get me hooked. I'm still playing it, but the amount of times I've caught myself thinking "I wanna finish this so bad so I can play FE1, of all things" is worrying.

Well, you wasted money on it, so you might as well finish it.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No it isn't, Final Fantasy is a good game

So true, Ruben!

4 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Linde, Merric... Uhhh, considering the "ArchaneaSummerFest" hashtag I'm going to guess that's Luthier, and... Dang, who's the grumpy blonde? I can't think of any Archanean mage that looks like that...

Wait no, Elrean! Haha, of course it's Elrean. He's very grumpy and he's sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with Merric, it has to be Elrean.

...Oof. Well, I suppose it wouldn't be Dragon Age without bugs. I'm assuming no community patch for this?

Well, you wasted money on it, so you might as well finish it.

I mean, not really. I sold Three Houses to get this, and I can certainly call this a better game than Houses. Worst case scenario, I can sell this and Splatoon. That'd be enough funds to try again. Maybe Breath of the Wild next. It was the second option that piqued my eye when I was considering what game to utilize as an excuse to sell get in exchange for Three Houses

So true, Ruben!

No, that's Armagon's trick, how could you steal his gimmick? What will he do now?

Edited by Saint Rubenio