• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

That's the big reason for me to use it; on a high resistance unit, it might make that hit for NO DAMAGE!

Makes sense, but my thinkin was always “I might need it later to use on somebody with lower Res for whatever reason”...

Like a fella said earlier... that “later” never seemed to come. Lol

3 hours ago, Green06 said:

What's the difference that makes one better than the other? Also, when did FE8 started to be seen as the superior version to mod?

Well, idk about FE7 since i dont mod it, but FE8 has alot more script stuff you can use (at base without modding)

When the Skills patch came out for it + FE Builder. Those were kinda milestones in the modding scene that made it so anyone could make a mod with simple enough knowledge of how the game works.

FE7 has little to none compared to FE8 now.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If the Persona franchise is truly absolutely dead to you as something you'd play, and then I'd be willing to say my opinion on the matter. (Persona 2 being dated in gameplay means I wouldn't advise you do it without a cheat activated or three. And I doubt Atlus would ever remake it monkey's paw says they would somehow find a way to force an incongruous calendar system into Innocent Sin to make it appeal to modern Persona tastes.) -But I want confirmation of your willingness to hear significant spoilers first.

Persona as in Persona 3 and onwards is dead to me. I do not care if P3 and 4 are peak fiction or whatever, I am not touching those games. Persona 1 and 2 is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge maybe, because of how dated the gameplay is. I wouldn't be above using cheats but if i do play those games, then they are way down on the priority list.

So go ahead. I don't mind.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Cats are quicker to revert than other laguz classes and have almost nothing to show for it.

Demi-Ring isn't a thing in the game either, which is how Lethe became my MVP.

XC2 spoilers that relate to my modding:

Spoiler

Pnuema is actually good now. 

Star Burst heals the party for 50% per hit of damage dealt and Ether defense down

Radiant Flair does heavy Blowdown on every hit and Resistance down

Genesis Saber inflicts Break + Topple and inflicts Physical def down

Thats how its done, Monolith. Xd

The Near Future storyline in Live A Live… is literally so boring. What happened? The pacing is god awful but with all that slowness, the game never stops to make me care about any of these characters or this setting. Then the actual plot comes out of nowhere and things just happen, the orphanage was literally burning down after the game gave me zero reason to care beyond “but the innocents!”. It seemed so interesting, it has a charming over the top opening movie for no reason and Akira’s opening dialogue makes him seem like he’s gonna be super interesting, but then the whole thing is just boring. And there’s so many battles, none of which are even remotely interesting or challenging. Why game? Why?

Also the ending doesn’t really make sense. And how come the game opens with Akira and Kaori as children and then flashes to Akira looking like he’s in his late teens while all the children look identical? Is he the only one who aged?

14 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

The Ouroboros section shows every Anguis revealed up to this point... I think, since I only noticed Second and Third before thinking "hmm I probably shouldn't see this yet".

Huh I don’t remember that, but good call. 3… might be a spoiler, depending on what it actually says there.

You already know who Anguis number 2 is though.

Spoiler

It’s Vita.

Edited by Sooks

With the idea of joining up with Londo Bell, it'd mean not going to Earth just yet. Van plans to go to Earth alone if so, but as it stands, the heroes are too concerned about the Claw to let him go alone. Ruri has decided for the Nadesico B to descend to Earth. So this means... time for a route split!

Earth Team and Space Team. It's basically divided this way:

Space Team: UC Gundam
Earth Team: Everyone Else

With VTX choosing which one to go with. Either way, they'd still be under record of being under contract by the Federation Forces.

So, for this playthrough, I'll go with Space Team. I'm not too concerned about getting the 80 kills for Ruri and Akito. Combined they're already at like over 60, and the limit is still quite a whiles away, so I'm confident I can reach the threshold. Space Team has some secret points to gather which, while not an issue if I don't get them, I'd rather do as a precaution. Thus, VTX will join up with Londo Bell.

Oh, it seems this counts as a stage, at least as far as sub-orders are concerned. So I can do another round of them before starting the actual next scenario. Nice!

Scenario 12: Isolated Londo Bell

We begin with Londo Bell having moved to their newest battleship, the Ra Cailum. Seems we skipping the Nahel Argama despite going through the Gundam ZZ storyline. Bright and Meran discuss how they got the ship from the Dawn Assembly, and it's to become the flagship of the fleet. They also bring up a backer, John Bauser. That said, what they currently lack is pilots. It seems they asked "him" to come aboard, but wasn't interested. Not with Quattro's disappearance. Hmm, there's that again brought up... anyway, the mood is a bit tense, as Bright is well aware of the Federation's current attitude, and Haman taking advantage of that. He wouldn't be surprised if she were to do a colony drop. Oh God, that must be the one that got dropped on Belfast in the anime. Though this being SRW, it won't happen here. Anyway, he has already been briefed by Ruri, but isn't quite sure it'll be enough to incorporate the likes of the GGG or the Brave Express Corps. They must continue to bolster their numbers. Right now, however, they must hold the fort until Kamille's group comes back. With Neo Zeon attacking the Nadesico, they know they'll be next.

In the hangar, we see the few pilots Londo Bell currently has are none other than Judau's group of friends from Shangri-La. Well, this is basically the ZZ era cast, just with Kamille not having been mind-fried by Scirocco. Anyway, Roux and Elle get into a fight over who gets to use the ReGZ. Astonaige suggests to Elle to take a Jegan instead. They have a couple of those, which Mondo and Iino will take one each too. Beecha, meanwhile has Quattro's old Hyaku Shiki. They discuss about Judau and his current condition, resolving to work hard for until he returns. Just then, the alarm blares up. Enemies have come!

The crew deploys, and Astonaige also joins as a Supporter. They note they're Jupiter Empire remnants, but are aware they're backed by Neo Zeon. In a way this is a loophole to side-step the ceasefire treaty. The party is pumped up and ready to go, let's go!

Enemies are in Batallas, Pez Batallas, and a Gangrijo. SR Point is to rout within four turns. TacP Bonus is to have each of the Shangri-La crew nail a kill each. Should not be hard. And we start!

Something of a trivia here. This is the first time Bright has his new VA from Gundam Unicorn without having that one present. After the death of his first VA Bright would either reused voice clips or just not show up at all. Until by necessity he had to get a new VA for his appearance in Gundam Unicorn. Thus in SRW this was the same. I don't think 30 counts on this since technically it's still Unicorn era Bright, just with the Narrative storyline instead.

Alright! Got both on turn three! The party doesn't get to celebrate just yet, for now proper Neo Zeon troops come in, led by Rakan. He's willing to break the ceasefire treaty since, on his reasoning, it will be broken anyway, so might as well be the one to fire the first shot. Also... dead men tell no tales. Despite an earlier quip about ditching things if it got too dangerous, the Shangri-La crew know they'll just be chased down, so they'll stand and fight back. They must give Judau a place to return to, after all.

This new enemy wave is composed of Gaza D's, Zssas, and Dreissens. A turn after, Rakan and Beecha get into a verbal spat, but before Rakan tries to actually attack, he's stopped by the arrival of our guys. Judau's friends are happy to see him back to his old self. And a side-note Rami notes how pretty much all the Gundam characters are on the young side, heh. Rakan now focues on Judau, and the latter calls him a war hawk. Rakan comments it's times like these that men like him thrive, and Judau says he'll put a stop to him and his ilk. Rakan counters he won't be sent packing like August.

Once defeated, Rakan inwardly comments about a change of tactics being needed. He bails out of his Dreissen, after moving it close to a space colony. Judau's friends plan to claim the abandoned Mobile Suits, likely to sell or scrap for parts, most likely. Bright is on board as it's evidence of Neo Zeon's activity.

Once everyone's back on board the Ra Cailum, Bright welcomes Kamille, Judau, and Fa back, also commenting Judau is better from before his departure. He's also glad to see Kincade and Tobia. Just then, Meran reports that Astonaige has finished his analysis of the captured MS's. He restored the databanks of one of them, and that turned out to reveal the location of Haman Kharn herself. Judau ponders that if they can take her down right now... and the stage ends.

I think that's it for today. Will continue tomorrow.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

So go ahead. I don't mind.

Very well. Full Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment massive spoilers are a go!

The primary LGBTQ thing about Persona 2 is...

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

Tatsuya Suou x Jun Kurosu.

Tatsuya Suou is the main character of Persona 2 Innocent Sin, and thus b/c Atlus, a silent MC.

• Although, Tatsuya gains the capacity to talk in the direct sequel game Eternal Punishment, as Persona 2's lead heroine Maya Amano got silenced instead. Tatsuya is a full-fledged independent character, not a mere self-insert. (Pretty awesome IMO.)
    • Oddly, Tatsuya feels more important in EP than IS, and Maya similarly feels more important in IS than EP. I'd blame much of it on the mandatory muting, as both are objectively important in both games.

Now, who is Jun? Well, he is the problem. Merely naming Jun is kinda a spoiler, since his name does not get spoken in Innocent Sin for like half the game, maybe more. And when it does, the context is a revelation.

To put it simply, Jun is Joker.

Joker-Persona2.png

Which is to say- the main villain of Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

If you're at all thinking "The effeminate gay character is a villain?🤨", that is correct. Yet it is also incorrect in several important ways. This will require some explanation.

To back up for a moment, Tatsuya and Jun began as childhood friends.:

Screen-Shot-2022-11-26-at-10-29-42-PM.pnScreen-Shot-2022-11-26-at-10-30-10-PM.pn

(A flashback taken from the Persona 2 fake (Or was it canceled? IDK.) anime teaser trailer Atlus made. )

Tatsuya and Jun met ten years prior to the start of the game's story. Ages 7-8, they both were dropped off at the Alaya Shrine in Sumeru City during one fateful summer. They met each other first, then Lisa and Eikichi showed up like minutes later, and being little kids they all became very quick good friends. Maya, who would've been ~13 at the time, showed up slightly later that summer and taught the kids the "Persona Game" that kids in middle and high schools were playing at the time.

While these four little kids and one young bare minimum teenager all became friends to each other, Maya noticed how strong the bond between Tatsuya and Jun specifically was. She observed them as like each other's shadow, and taught them the "Der Doppelgänger" poem that shows up in the PS1 opening of Innocent Sin. It is here that the seeds of TatsuyaxJun begin.

Now to go into excessive detail about follows. I'll throw this in yet more spoilers to make it optional.:

Spoiler

Later that same summer, Maya says she is moving, Lisa and Eikichi led by Jun don't want her to leave them, so they lock her in the Alaya Shrine, thinking it means she'll have to stay. They're 7-8, if their plan sounds stupid, it's because they are. Tatsuya didn't agree with them, but I guess he couldn't unlock the shrine on his own and stayed to protect Maya. Then a deranged high schooler named Tatsuya Sudou shows up later that day and sets fire to Alaya Shrine with Maya inside. Suou can't do anything to stop Sudou, but Maya survives because Maia her Persona awakens (ice elemental yo!). Similarly, an unconscious Tatsuya, desperate to help Maya, awakens Volcanus and permanently chars half of Sudou's face, forcing him to retreat.

Thus the blissful summer has ended in tragedy. Tatsuya never meets with Jun, Lisa, EIkichi, or Maya ever again. Jun, Lisa and Eikichi feel guilt over having been responsible for Maya's "death", not knowing she -their beloved "Big Sis"- survived. They meet one last time and agree to never meet again, all five repress their memories of each other as best as they can. Although the events of the summer linger in all of their subconsciouses.

The guilt of Maya's death weighs heavily on Jun however, he can't forget it. That Tatsuya, his dearest friend, had advised against locking up Maya stings at Jun, a voice of reason was right there. Maya's real "murderer" having an almost identical name didn't help either, and so the grounds for a false memory, of a grudge against Tatsuya for having killed Maya, are formed.

And that's not the only problem Jun has.:

• Jun's father is a high school history teacher. Although his real job is being the Guy From Ancient Aliens. Do you realize how embarrassing that is? Jun doesn't want to be associated with his father at all, not in public, not ever.
  • Jun's mother wasn't happy with Jun's father either. This leads to divorce, which isn't exactly good for a child's development.
  • Jun's mother doesn't exactly seem to love her child as she should after this. Her acting career frustratingly declines as she gets older -until Joker, without her realizing who it is, grants her impeccable youthful beauty again.
  • Jun developing a feminine appearance as he matures leads to some bullying. Although when his Persona awakened, magic > bullies, too much so b/c the injuries it inflicts is what kicked him out of the "good" high school in town and sends him to the rival "poor/delinquent" one that Eikichi attends.

There is one other problem too- the True Big Bad has been watching these five children ever since they played the Persona Game. And the True Big Bad capitalizes on Jun's troubled circumstances, thus turning him into Joker. Making Jun a pillar of its grand scheme for humanity.

Jun becomes Joker to get "revenge" on Tatsuya Suou. And also Lisa and Eikichi for some reason, and he sees that Maya is clearly still alive during their encounters. But then, Jun's mind is being kept intentionally unable to see reality for what it is, even though deep down, Maya can tell Jun knows the truth.

TL;DR- Jun became a villain, but he wasn't a villain because he was gay.

Jun's feelings of deep friendship towards Tatsuya might have become sexual attraction somewhere during puberty, but the game doesn't cast that in a negative light whatsoever. Jun has feelings towards Tatsuya that contribute towards him falling under the control of psychoanalytical darkness, yet these concern the matter of Maya's "death" and their friendship. Jun had other baggage that left him vulnerable too, the rest of the kiddos didn't have it so bad after that summer.

Eventually, late in the game, the heroes free Jun from being Joker and he takes his rightful place as the true fifth party member. Persona 2 lets you field all five heroes at once and has a character from Persona 1 hold the fifth slot until Jun joins. Yukino is a nice lady, but you can kinda tell at some point that she is very irrelevant narratively.

After this, there isn't much time left to for Jun to do much silly stuff with the heroes. Sumeru City has turned into a UFO detached from the Earth's surface, it's the four zodiac dungeons and then the final dungeon and the game is finished. Nonetheless, you can tell Jun blends in just fine with his old friends. There is just enough dialogue for that, they're tight-knit quintet.

After the boss battle in Leo Dungeon, Tatsuya is asked who he loves by Lisa. Eikichi is a joke answer, you can't seriously choose him, he's straight. You can pick Maya, Lisa... or Jun. Lisa is a little surprised if you pick Jun, and she kinda wishes Tatsuya had said her, but Lisa accepts Tatsuya's preferences then. No judging. You can have Tatsuya and Jun use a tag team demon negotiation skill after this where Jun smiles at Tatsuya (some demons are flabbergasted by this) (there is an alternative way to unlock this group contact if you want to pick someone else, a nice thing to avoid cutting off a minor gameplay option). 

And really, Jun is an equally logical love choice for Tatsuya as Maya or Lisa. To break them down.:

• Maya-
    • Lead Heroine of Persona 2. LeadxLead is typical.
    • Persona symbolism- their ultimates are Apollo and Artemis, the Greco-Roman sun & moon sibling gods.
      • Sibling gods means you could friendzone these two if desired. Maya was the Big Sis to the other four heroes back then.
    • Eternal Punishment confirms Tatsuya had some feelings for Maya, mostly for the sake of one scene in the final dungeon where the Big Bad tries pitting Tatsuya against brother Katsuya, who has feelings for Maya.
      • Thus, Tatsuya is at least a little bisexual.
      • There is one scene in Eternal Punishment added via save data transfer from IS will vary based on who Tatsuya said he loved. Jun is a legitimate choice for this scene.
        • I haven't seen this scene in any version yet, Eternal Punishment PS1 USA deleted it b/c Innocent Sin PS1 didn't leave Japan. Eternal Punishment PSP was fan-translated only earlier this year and does include the scene.
  • Lisa-
    • Has a big crush on Tatsuya, currently has one in high school, had one during that one summer. Simple in nature, but factual.
      • In one flashback, when the four of them played the childhood game of "house" together, she was the mother and Tatsuya the father (Maya had yet to show up). It goes back to this.
    • Persona symbolism- Tatsuya starts with Vulcanus, Lisa's ultimate is Venus. They were husband and wife in Greco-Roman myth.
  • Jun-
    • That aforementioned friendship greater than any other from that summer. If Jun were a girl, would anyone doubt this as the basis for a cliched romance once they grew up?
    • Persona symbolism-
      • Tatsuya's ultimate is Apollo, Jun's starter is Hermes. They were half-brothers by Zeus, and they did exchange gifts once, just as Tatsuya and Jun did.
      • Vulcanus and Apollo are both fire-associated, Jun's ultimate is Chronos- the time god. Going back to gift-giving, Jun gave Tatsuya a lighter, Tatsuya gave Jun a wristwatch. Fire and time, given to one by the other.
        • Don't ask why children 7-8 years old are carrying lighters and wristwatches. This event is important to both of them. Jun even after becoming Joker kept wearing that wristwatch for the past ten years. Tatsuya carries that lighter, which some people find odd as they notice he doesn't smoke, and often flicks it open, subconsciously treasuring his memories with Jun. When Tatsuya lost the lighter in Eternal Punishment, he went and bought a new one.

I see nothing toxic about Jun's feelings towards Tatsuya, as is apparently all too frequently the case in yaoi so I'm told. Nor does Jun show any envy towards his rivals Maya and Lisa. It would have been nice if the game had more dating scenes, but that isn't too relevant to this discussion. It would've been nice if we got a glimpse of who Jun found attractive besides Tatsuya, or what about Tatsuya physically or personality-wise. -But do we ever seriously ask this of females who fall in love with the male character? I don't think so.

Jun might look feminine and be into flower language (and horoscopes, which aren't explicitly girly, but maybe sorta are in the modern era when you think about it?) but that's the extent of him being a gay stereotype. His language isn't accented nor exaggerated in a fab-u-lous-ly offensive way. The group demon negotiation that has Lisa and Maya putting makeup on Jun is done against his will. He gets another group contact with Eikichi and Tatsuya where they do a quick performance as a three-man band, nothing gay about that.

Jun's role in Eternal Punishment is much diminished and no longer playable, for reasons. Although he is still technically important; Lisa, and Eikichi got equally set aside too. Although I can't ignore that the True Big Bad dangles a captive Jun in front of the heroes right before the start of the final battle of Eternal Punishment. It couldn't resist holding its old favorite pawn whose father -after killing the real one- it had pretended to be for maybe a decade in Innocent Sin.

I've heard musings somewhere I can't find that Jun might been considered for the lead role of Eternal Punishment before it shifted to Maya, but I have seen no evidence which would suggest this. Maybe it exists, maybe it's pure hearsay. Nonetheless, I could totally see Jun in the lead role. Tatsuya, Maya, Jun- they're the core protagonist trio of Innocent Sin. Eikichi and Lisa aren't irrelevant, and they're nice characters too, yet they're decidedly less "remove from the story and it'd cease to be functional without fundamental revisions" to Innocent Sin. (FE hypothetical comparison- pretend Lyon was gay or bisexual and Ephraim could reciprocate. Not the exact same thing, but the vibes and essentiality of the SS and P2IS trios would then be loosely similar.)

...Now it just me, or is it kinda amazing that a video game made in 1999, well before gay marriage legalization started happening, which still hasn't happened Japan yet, managed to make Jun? To concisely reiterate...

• He is gay. Visually looks feminine (how much exactly varies from artwork to artwork), but is in no way offensive.
  • A very important playable character. Whose tragic temporary villainy and plot importance has nothing to do with him being gay.
  • Can have his feelings reciprocated by the main character/player. Thereby giving us a legitimate openly gay shipping in a video game, no reliance on subtexts/interpretation.
  • Has equal, arguably stronger even, grounds for being shipped with the hero as the straight ladies.

It astounds me that Persona regressed after this. Jun is a damn good character.

So back to what I said in my prior post, intention and results don't necessarily align. This was a miracle.😄

This fan article touches on everything good and bad about Persona 2 on LGBTQ stuff. Some of it is open to interpretation I suppose, and I think I've already said enough on the one most important thing by far.😆 I don't think it's necessary reading.

Not going to continue for now, but I did noticed. Upon reaching the intermission screen, Judau and Elle switched mechs. Well, the Gundam Mk-II is her default ride. However, I can't move Judau out of the Jegan he got moved to. Which means... something will go down next scenario for sure. Well, I'll find out when I get there tomorrow then.

The Distant Future in Live A Live was pretty neat. Survival horror is a good way to put it, I like the concepts at play here. I think the characters worked well considering their limited screen time. Take notes, Near Future.

With that chapter being complete, the objectively correct™ rankings of the stories in this game is: Present Day > Imperial China > Distant Future > Wild West > Prehistory > Twilight of Edo Japan > Near Future. So yeah.

Spoiler

Of course, obviously there’s gonna be stuff after this, and I’m assuming (and hoping) all of it is gonna rank ahead of everything else from the way it’s talked about. But that’s for tomorrow.

I can’t really tell how the stories are connected other than the fact that the villains are all named similarly. We have O. Dio, OD-10, Odeo, and Ode Iou. I forgot the names of the other three, but presumably they’re similar. I guess our heroes have to unite from across all eras to put a stop to the evil OD.

Edited by Sooks

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

The Near Future storyline in Live A Live… is literally so boring. What happened? The pacing is god awful but with all that slowness, the game never stops to make me care about any of these characters or this setting. Then the actual plot comes out of nowhere and things just happen, the orphanage was literally burning down after the game gave me zero reason to care beyond “but the innocents!”. It seemed so interesting, it has a charming over the top opening movie for no reason and Akira’s opening dialogue makes him seem like he’s gonna be super interesting, but then the whole thing is just boring. And there’s so many battles, none of which are even remotely interesting or challenging. Why game? Why?

Also the ending doesn’t really make sense. And how come the game opens with Akira and Kaori as children and then flashes to Akira looking like he’s in his late teens while all the children look identical? Is he the only one who aged?

This used to be widely considered the worst scenario in the entire game. It got some subtle but much needed tweaks in the remake that elevated it somewhat in my eyes, but really, you pretty much need to be a mecha anime fan in order to truly love this one.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Dissing on Buriki Daioh's scenario? Them's fighting words!

Case in point

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

The Distant Future in Live A Live was pretty neat. Survival horror is a good way to put it, I like the concepts at play here. I think the characters worked well considering their limited screen time. Take notes, Near Future.

With that chapter being complete, the objectively correct™ rankings of the stories in this game is: Present Day > Imperial China > Distant Future > Wild West > Prehistory > Twilight of Edo Japan > Near Future. So yeah.

Oh you're done already! I hadn't even realized. Congratulations!

This is actually rather close to my own ranking. I just had Present Day in fourth place, Japan and Akira switched and Prehistory at the bottom. Neat. Sooks correct as always. Just about. Pogo doesn't deserve being above anything.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

Of course, obviously there’s gonna be stuff after this, and I’m assuming (and hoping) all of it is gonna rank ahead of everything else from the way it’s talked about. But that’s for tomorrow.

I can’t really tell how the stories are connected other than the fact that the villains are all named similarly. We have O. Dio, OD-10, Odeo, and Ode Iou. I forgot the names of the other three, but presumably they’re similar. I guess our heroes have to unite from across all eras to put a stop to the evil OD.

Spoiler

🙂

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

I see you got to the end of the beginning.

Pretty understandable choices.

5 minutes ago, Imperator Squilla said:

Did Costa Rica just...

Boi

This group is one Fire after this

This has to be the worst game of the tournament. Germany's team has to be really bad to have lost to Japan.