• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I mean, it makes sense considering the whole salarymen approach SRW T went for its OG's. Hence everyone being at least in their twenties.

Then again, this is the game that includes the 15-year old Might and sixth-grader Watta, who are also company CEO's. Then again, just how many series exist out there that are about corporations employing mechas. And now I wonder... why wasn't Dai-Guard added in as well? They could reuse the assets from the Zverse, so it could've been doable. Unless they weren't added for some other reason. Who knows...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

One thing I realized about Covenant of the Plume after the fact.

Spoiler

Natalia is 29 years old. Her children are 12. That means she had them when she was 17 and might've been impregnated at the age of 16. Obviously this being the Middle Ages of Anime, and some really brutal one at that, this was probably not a crime, but still. Whomst be the criminal?

...Also, the fact that Mishkra reveals he has a massive crush for her in the Seraphic Gate "credits" is adorable. And awkward. Imagine being her and having to tell him "no I can't be your mommy, I am your mommy though"

Also also I still can't pronounce his name

Also Serenes bugged out and all the editor's icons are blank, so I couldn't tell which was the spoiler box. Fun.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Quetzal of Radiance...

Radiant Quetzal...

Shadow Quetzal...

New Mystery of Quetzal...

Genealogy of The Holy Quetzal...

Quetzal 776...

Blazing Quetzal...

Sacred Quetzal...

Quetzals of Valentia...

Three Quetzals...

...Okay I'm done.

Quetzwick Saga.

Speaking of, make it happen. Play Berwick Saga.

It mostly came as a thought experiment after reading some folks' opinions on Corrin in other FE circles. These aren't my opinions as I think I'd have to replay the Fates games to seal the Corrin deal, but I thought they were worth sharing here.

That's not bad, reading other people's thoughts can make you realize things you didn't see originally.

Leif is up there as one of the top lords I'm most excited to see what they're about.

Good take.

Xenoblade X's main protagonist is a 29-year old woman.

That's pretty good. She even looks the part. She's also not obnoxiously sexualized - is this really a Xenoblade character?

37 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

SRW T's protagonists are both 27... just saying...

Not bad!

Still, what about 40-and-upwards year olds for protagonists? Proper old people. It's really not that easy to find them in the role of main character, and even harder to find them without a younger deuteragonist accompanying.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Still, what about 40-and-upwards year olds for protagonists? Proper old people. It's really not that easy to find them in the role of main character, and even harder to find them without a younger deuteragonist accompanying.

Can't really help you there. Best I recall, oldest SRW OG Protagonist has been Sanger at 29. Older people are not lacking, but as protagonists? Nothing so far.

Okay but.

I've had some music from Pokemon Spain recommended to me by the almighty algorythm.

This soundtrack is fire.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Can't really help you there. Best I recall, oldest SRW OG Protagonist has been Sanger at 29. Older people are not lacking, but as protagonists? Nothing so far.

The ones that immediately come to mind to me are Rook from Banner Saga and... uh, Rook, from Griftlands. The first does come with his daughter, with whom he shares the spotlight in the first game; the second is one of three main characters, but he does get the spotlight all to himself in his campaign. I've probably seen a few more, but B. Saga Rook is the one that made the biggest impression, I think.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not bad!

I'm reminded of an old Nintendo Power interview (I didn't DL the issue with it, unfortunately) with I believe it was the writer of the acclaimed visual novel 999 and the rest of the Zero Escape trilogy. In it, he said he would like to write an older protagonist, but he complained you can't push the limits with the Japanese audience beyond the age of 30! It was true back then, it remains true now. (And it seems the guy relies on international sales nowadays, Japan doesn't buy his stories.)

This then brings Nier to mind. A game I heard of -not the one with the sexy android, she's in Nier: Automata- which had Replicant and Gestalt versions. In Replicant, the hero is the older brother to a sickly girl, in Gestalt, he is her father why not both?, having been aged up. In Japan, Replicant was PS3 exclusive, Gestalt was for the Xbox 360. Which, with Xbox being American, kinda aligns with the fact that "typical" Western gamers are more tolerant of older protagonists than the "typical" Japanese gamer.

It returns...

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Gen 9 are the best games actually because Godzilla vs Hedorah reference.

It is the forbidden combination of Godzilla flying and his anti-Megalon slide kick. Even Destoroyah would be one-shot if Godzilla ever used it.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

She's also not obnoxiously sexualized - is this really a Xenoblade character?

You should see XCX's alternate armor options.

49 minutes ago, Imperator Squilla said:

I can't believe Calvard was the first place in Zemuria to invent toilets. Even the ancient Zemurians never made that much progress!

@Interdimensional Observer So I fired up a game as Arabia yesterday and just did some camel warfare... and it's just not fair, man. The Longbowman is an awesome unique unit because it can outrange everything else, which Camel Archers can replicate by moving into range, shooting, and then moving out again. They have enough movement to shoot from a hill tile while doing so, so they don't have the line-of-sight issue that the Longbowman can struggle with, you don't need another unit to spot for them, having more mobility is already great before factoring the hit-and-run tactic it enables... and unlike the Keshik, Camels are even stronger than Xbows, which are already very strong during the Renaissance to begin with. They just take no damage, which means that they can attack almost every round pretty consistently, which means that they (even without the Keshik's improved XP gain) get to Logistics so much faster than regular old Xbows do. At which point, if they can fire from flat terrain, they can move in, shoot twice, and then retreat out of enemy range.

Now, granted, this is a chill game on Emperor difficulty, so the AI hasn't been throwing doom carpets at me, and it let me get to Camels in relative peace and quiet. Dido very clearly considered attacking me, moving her entire army back and forth between my cap and where I forward-settled her (and she had a friendly attitude, which for her is a clear sign that she's got a dagger ready), but she was deterred by just two swordsmen and a comp.bow. But still, holy hell, camels are broken.

3 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Hey! The Ma-non were told it's perfectly fine to make female armor for humans more revealing. Someone, fire whoever at BLADE/the NLA gov't told them that.

Fashion armor was thankfully invented in XCX. You can have form and function!

My dad gave me a sketchbook. With no more work in sight for the next... who cares, I've given it its first whirl by drawing the plot of Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.

i6btpMa0_o.jpg

Unfortunately I had no proper pencil. Had to make do with a black crayon, but the difference is palpable. Jesus, the clumsy-ass lines...

...And my hands still suck. But all in all, I'm glad to have graced this empty notebook with some Fauxnel. More to come, I hope.

57 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm reminded of an old Nintendo Power interview (I didn't DL the issue with it, unfortunately) with I believe it was the writer of the acclaimed visual novel 999 and the rest of the Zero Escape trilogy. In it, he said he would like to write an older protagonist, but he complained you can't push the limits with the Japanese audience beyond the age of 30! It was true back then, it remains true now. (And it seems the guy relies on international sales nowadays, Japan doesn't buy his stories.)

This then brings Nier to mind. A game I heard of -not the one with the sexy android, she's in Nier: Automata- which had Replicant and Gestalt versions. In Replicant, the hero is the older brother to a sickly girl, in Gestalt, he is her father why not both?, having been aged up. In Japan, Replicant was PS3 exclusive, Gestalt was for the Xbox 360. Which, with Xbox being American, kinda aligns with the fact that "typical" Western gamers are more tolerant of older protagonists than the "typical" Japanese gamer.

Anime fans once again are wrong and ugly. If anime didn't exist people could make old protagonists.

26 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Ah, I knew there'd be a catch somewhere.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hey! The Ma-non were told it's perfectly fine to make female armor for humans more revealing. Someone, fire whoever at BLADE/the NLA gov't told them that.

Fashion armor was thankfully invented in XCX. You can have form and function!

This, on the other hand, is nice to read.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

43 minutes ago, ping said:

@Interdimensional Observer So I fired up a game as Arabia yesterday and just did some camel warfare... and it's just not fair, man. The Longbowman is an awesome unique unit because it can outrange everything else, which Camel Archers can replicate by moving into range, shooting, and then moving out again. 

The core issue with Camels and Keshiks (and Egypt's, India's, and the Huns' Chariot Archer replacements) -on paper- is that by upgrading to melee Landships, most promotions don't carry over. They kinda deserve their potency for as long as they last. The Longbowman... well retiring into a range-2 Gatling Gun is alright.

Although I'd say the real pitiable unique units in Civ5 are those without any lasting bonuses. France's Musketeers.🤣 Though I also pity Rome's Ballistae, a unique early siege unit would have been great if it had special abilities/promotions were decent and carried over, due to the fact that when Xbows decline, Cannons and especially Artillery rise. Rome could've had an oddball curve for conquest season.

They just take no damage, which means that they can attack almost every round pretty consistently, which means that they (even without the Keshik's improved XP gain) get to Logistics so much faster than regular old Xbows do. At which point, if they can fire from flat terrain, they can move in, shoot twice, and then retreat out of enemy range.

You could build Chariot Archers, pick one -just one- nearby city-state to bully without conquering, and accrue some XP that way. Then you upgrade them to Camel or Keshiks with them closer to the good promotions. -This does likely mean missing out on the Heroic Epic promotion though as you might not have the time to accrue city-state EXP after building that, constructing your Chariots afterwards to get the promotion, and before Bactrian okay, Arabians are dromedaries Bolt Barrage begins.

If you have an interest in the natural history of camels now, here.

Now, granted, this is a chill game on Emperor difficulty, so the AI hasn't been throwing doom carpets at me

I don't blame you, those carpets are stupid. They take forever to destroy, the cities behind them are so dang durable and hit hard too.

Not to mention that while I like the idea of the AI remaining competitive -nay, ahead- in science practically all game long, it presents its challenges to warfare. I loathe their inevitable one-billion bomber building on Deity. Emperor is a tad too easy, I almost never struggle to be first to Ideologies, but I appreciate the ease and freedom. Maybe I should see if Immortal is a happy medium.

49 minutes ago, ping said:

Dido very clearly considered attacking me, moving her entire army back and forth between my cap and where I forward-settled her (and she had a friendly attitude, which for her is a clear sign that she's got a dagger ready), but she was deterred by just two swordsmen and a comp.bow.

Getting backstabbed by Dido... well it's less expectable than Atilla, Augustus, and Genghis doing it. Which makes it all the better!😄

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anime fans once again are wrong and ugly. If anime didn't exist people could make old protagonists.

slow-damage-review-screenshot-181283523.

I found this about the same time you were writing your post.😛

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

i6btpMa0_o.jpg

Unfortunately I had no proper pencil. Had to make do with a black crayon, but the difference is palpable. Jesus, the clumsy-ass lines...

Ushio and Duwain, both drawn to reflect their distance from the ladies. And drawn so as to reflect their story presence compared to them too, they are but ants.

1 hour ago, Imperator Squilla said:

They went pretty literal on the award.

Please tell me Stray's is kitty litter, that'd be game of the decade material

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

i6btpMa0_o.jpg

That's the power of limitation, having to work around it can produce great results.

Works for Rose boy and our squabbling duo here.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

slow-damage-review-screenshot-181283523.

Shut up, anime. I'll kill you. Where's that plume...

I found this about the same time you were writing your post.😛

Funny how things work sometimes.

Ushio and Duwain, both drawn to reflect their distance from the ladies. And drawn so as to reflect their story presence compared to them too, they are but ants.

Well, that's an interesting hidden meaning you derived from this thing I drew. Thanks for pointing it out!

15 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

That's the power of limitation, having to work around it can produce great results.

Well, "great", "great"...

Works for Rose boy and our squabbling duo here.

Ey, thanks! Appreciate it.

If anyone's got any suggestions, I'm willing to listen. I'll have plenty of time these two weeks, probably. Commissions are 25$ I accept TF2 keys

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Uq6zNbp.png

Zzzz...

pKoZtjO.png
Bloodbath. 

YEd0nq9.png

Tunisia facing the big fav. while also hoping for a Australia Denmark tie

bvp3alg.png

Objective for all: Evade France.

Except Mexico, they will have to face France if they advance rip

prWHkRA.png

Croatia and Belgium fighting to send each other to Retirement, while Morocco just needs to not fuck up.

5VOFr9w.png

Memes

d3f6xJg.png
Rip Korea

jsigVsm.png

Baklanitics: the Prelude 2?

Am I the only one here who thinks Shed Tail needs to get banned? In so many words, it's Baton Pass + Substitute. In one move. And Baton Pass was already controversial enough to the point of repeatedly getting banned.

Edited by Shadow Mir

13 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Am I the only one here who thinks Shed Tail needs to get banned? In so many words, it's Baton Pass + Substitute. In one move. And Baton Pass was already controversial enough to the point of repeatedly getting banned.

Seeing as I hadn't thought much on it beyond finding the idea funny previously, I can get you.

Be funny if this move gets the pokemon that can learn it sent to Ubers if not permabanned on Somgon because their policy on banning moves is pretty limited in scope. It's something I can understand, even if Cyclizar is of course not the bulkiest of 'mons and the other one isn't all that quick either.

As to fixing it in future. Maybe the balance should be that it takes off more HP for the pokemon switching out? I mean it's that or reducing priority, which considering something like Dragon Tail, fair.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sounds like a sweet move, though! If tempered that only two Pokémon learn it naturally, apparently.

It's a pretty big thing considering it's two moves in one, but I think the thing that'd limit it's usefulness is if it's working off the user's HP, it's a bit strongly tempered by Cyclizar having 60 HP for it's stat and the other being not much better at 70.

26 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I think competitive Pokemon players need to stop banning everything that inconveniences them even slightly.

It's like Smash players and slants.

Banning in general is lame as fuck, unless the meta is completely centered around that one thing or it creates too many random variables, things should be allowed.