• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

All right, the time has come. The very funny decision. Last time, I did the most horrifying thing imaginable and made Daddy Benny proud.

This time, I must be the boring goodie-two-shoes, as this will allow me to recruit a hot archer later on. Not that the alternate option is any worse, really - he has a beard! But I got him last time, so he'll get his turn later, if I end up doing NG+ this time around. Which I might, I mean, Booker was what stopped me last time, and this time I'm already past him lol

36 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Keep them on crit classes/weapons, otherwise remove them.

Yeah, in all seriousness, crits are okay, but what sucks is the typical "every enemy has 3% crit" situation. It's way too difficult to avoid and it only leads to headaches. Rank-and-file mooks shouldn't have crit.

14 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Is that the B.Saga game on steam Ruben keeps talking about

B. Saga doesn't have crits either, to be sure. Well, it kinda does, but they are skill-dependant.

16 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well, Vestaria Saga removed universal crits too.

lol I never even realized. But yeah, come to think of it, I don't recall seeing random crits in those games.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, in all seriousness, crits are okay, but what sucks is the typical "every enemy has 3% crit" situation. It's way too difficult to avoid and it only leads to headaches. Rank-and-file mooks shouldn't have crit.

Even Tear Ring Saga didn't have that problem. Supports went a long way to protect units from crits, at the cost of making them less flexible due to needing to stay close to another unit. So there was a nice tradeoff there, as well as another angle to consider when it comes to group synergy.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Soooooo even in this context, does the game still throw someone at her for her to beat the shit out of alongside four of her seven friends?

Yes, but I think it was supposed to be symbolic. Because if they actually started fighting each other when they did it would have made no sense, they both should’ve been arrested by the guards, and… actually the audience probably could have still been into it.

23 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Is that the B.Saga game on steam Ruben keeps talking about

Yes, and you should play it.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

B. Saga doesn't have crits either, to be sure. Well, it kinda does, but they are skill-dependant.

It kinda does? Huh, I guess I don’t remember the gameplay that well.

45 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh wait, winning the trial does not avoid the battle. It just gets you an item as a reward. And I lost it on purpose.

I should return to this game.

…kinda random but a lot of the choices did interest me. I didn’t know you could win or lose a trial!

All right democracy. You cannot fail me now. The recruitability of this game's second-best waifu is at stake.

We must not follow Benedict's evil idea.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes, but I think it was supposed to be symbolic. Because if they actually started fighting each other when they did it would have made no sense, they both should’ve been arrested by the guards, and… actually the audience probably could have still been into it.

On the other hand, the lost potential of watching Osvald break into a waltz with Temenos is simply unforgivable.

Yes, and you should play it.

Sadly the Steam sale already ended, but there's always next time.

It kinda does? Huh, I guess I don’t remember the gameplay that well.

With items and skills you can gain a crit chance, but normal attacks don't have crit.

I should return to this game.

You should, it's a great game. Kinda got swept up in the maelstrom of awesome games that came out last year, but coming back to it, I am reminded why I once called it the best game Square has made in the last good few years. Of course, the genre being one I like more on average is enough of an advantage, but this is a really solid SRPG nonetheless.

…kinda random but a lot of the choices did interest me. I didn’t know you could win or lose a trial!

It was actually well worth the ball-crunchingly difficult battle with Very Important Character Booker. The next chapter's battle on this path was a super fun battle at an arena suspended high on the air, with spikes filling the ground below. Pretty easy, but it was so much fun to toss enemy after enemy into the spikes and watch them struggle to do anything.

…It’s so true that it hurts. Right, I’m going go back to reading I, Claudius and then The Hunchback of Notre Dame before I put this thing in its grave once and for all.

I love how they killed off Celine’s retainers, as if it was asking too much from the writers to come up with bizarro versions of Louis and Chloe.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

Honestly though, I'm really curious to see how the game will handle itself here. Being a goodie-two-shoes in this situation is straight up suicidal. In fact, I know this leads to one of the (if not the only) story game overs in the game if you aren't careful. I remember back in the day, I wondered how the game would spin our horrendous actions into a "we're still the good guys" situation. Now I wonder how they'll spin our utterly idiotic foolhardiness into continued survival!

That'll have to be tomorrow, though. It's late and I still have a mock battle to go through as well.

4 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

I love how they killed off Celine’s retains, as if it was asking too much from the writers to come up with bizarro versions of Louis and Chloe.

Is it morbid to say I'm glad for that?

Since she helped us interrogate rich people, Shirley... is good? I appreciate her not trying anything with Rixia, at least.

Spoiler

I'll admit that Julia's fan club wasn't a point that I thought would carry over from 3rd.

Something I wondered about while playing Cold Steel was how Liberl felt about the stuff happening in Erebonia, and while the civil war obviously hasn't happened yet, it's nice to see Kloe working with Olivert in trying to diffuse things. All the stuff in Erebonia made me forget that the WZTC was attacked by Calvardian terrorists as well. Calvard has an anti-immigration faction? It really is fantasy America.

After we team up with Doodles again, Campanella showcases his villainy by making us play a puzzle game for DP (though oddly you can lower the difficulty upon retrying, unlike the rest of the game). But it comes with a remix of SC's Enforcer theme, so I'll give him this one.

Fortunately Tio saves us with her gamer credentials, so now the whole SSS is assembled. Now the question is, when does Rixia become playable?

19 hours ago, Sooks said:

I’m not sure, I don’t remember anything like this. But I also pretty much always go for 100% so I wouldn’t have paid attention to it unless it was vitally important to the plot. Do you have any more information on the things locked behind DP thresholds?

Scanning through the wiki, I’m not finding anything other than the items by looking at DP rewards, unless that’s what you meant. But that’s possibly not where the information would be.

I thought you always went for Sooks%.

It turns out I was thinking of something else (Zero has a hidden quest with a DP requirement, so maybe that's what I was thinking of). Hopefully this isn't SC and I can get the highest rank without getting all the DP since there will be many more opportunities for me to fail the extra requirements, probably.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I didn't answer the questions correctly, so Benedict said "we don't have evidence milord", and since Benedict is always right, we fail and get arrested.

And now the game wants me to Phoenix Wright my way out of this mess. This is... dramatically different from the branch I took in my first run. Love it.

And here I thought Triangle Strategy was a game about war. Who needs warfare when you can put your enemies on trial instead?

24 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

And here I thought Triangle Strategy was a game about war. Who needs warfare when you can put your enemies on trial instead?

Not to worry. Benedict always finds a way to murder.

Okay, I haven't uploaded it yet. I decided to upload another of my writing prompts first. The A Break on the Beach one. But I will upload the other chapter afterwards...

... actually, come to think of it, I don't think I have a name for the story yet. XD I might need to think one first, haha. Well, I kinda have, but I wonder if it's a good one to use.

Well, for now I'll play some more Castlevania.

So, as a side-note, TIL that Circle of the Moon has had a bit of a rocky road when it comes to its canonicity. As it turns out apparently Igarashi was not involved with its creation, which combined with some other elements, made him declare the game non-canon. Years later he changed it to being a gaiden game still not part of the main timeline but more of an AU scenario or something like that. Personally, I don't see that it really disrupts the timeline, but then again, that wasn't really the reason IGA discounted it at first, so who knows. To me it can still be part of it. *shrugs*

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Zelda dungeons normally: "alright so when you beat the dungeon's midboss, you get access to the special item that interacts with this dungeon's gimmick".

Oracle of Ages' Ancient Tomb: "fuck you".

Yeah so i was doing this dungeon wrong the whole time so now i have to do some insane backtracking to get the Power Glove.

Edited by Armagon

Back from my little trip. Didn't do too much, I've already seen the major tourist stuff in Boston, and the weather wasn't exactly great either for my brief stay.

I did eat though, cities tend to have no shortage of good restaurants. While Boston's most well-known ethnicity is Irish, its North End is crammed with Italian food, both fine dining and bakeries, all of it good. Although my favorite meal was at a burger joint, I had what the menu called a "Hot Mess and Cheese"-a burger patty topped with shredded steak, griddled onions, plenty of American cheese, cheese sauce, and burger sauce. I do not know why more places don't offer such an unholy fusion of cheeseburger and cheesesteak, as it was soooooooo worth the calories.😇 Washed it down with an oreo milkshake served in a fancy old-timey glass, because that is what nature intended.

And I did feed the brain too. The Museum of Fine Arts Boston was lovely. -Well, what I saw of it. I couldn't figure out how to get to the small third and ground floors, but after four hours in the museum, I didn't exactly have the will to look (it was maybe less two hours from closing anyhow). Encyclopedic in nature, like all the colossal museums of the world. (Using pictures from the website b/c it's better than what I took.):

Spoiler

Egypt-

SC218858.jpg

Mummies ofc.

This one caught my attention. That portrait is NOT pharaonic Egyptian! This was expectably dated to the pre-Christian imperial Roman period, this is religio-cultural syncretism on display! Egypt's burial method with Greco-Roman influences.

They had big statues, wall reliefs, a room of small Egyptian river boat models for some reason (I was pressed for time and couldn't read it) including one that was stated to contain the "Negative Confession". The event in the afterlife where a person says "I did not steal from the temple, I did not...", basically them insisting they are free of sin and have upheld the cosmic order of Maat, which the weighing of their heart against a feather confirmed/denied.

There was a pinch of Ancient Near/Middle East stuff- Sumer to the Sassanids chronologically basically. This from the city of Babylon.:

SC39180.jpg

One of what would have been 120 roughly life-sized (106x232 centimeters/41x91 inches for the whole thing) lions made of glazed bricks lining the Processional Way from the Ishtar Gate to the Temple of Marduk.

A very small pinch of Islamic stuff. Plenty of ancient Greece and Rome (including a sculpture of Elagabalus oddly- the short-reigned teenage emperor who supposedly went wild with sexual misdeeds, including a desire for a sex change that could very well be slander invented by the Roman writers who hated him). A dash of Byzantine, a room or so of Medieval, then no shortage of Renaissance through Post-Impressionism for Europe (including period rooms), there was a room for Monet. And, this surprised me.:

SC226475.jpg

Paul Gauguin's Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going? Arguably his most famous work, judging from its use in textbooks. 

This sorta needs to be seen in person to be felt, as the painting is 139x374 centimeters/54x147 inches in size. (Almost as big as the blatancy of the erotic racially-charged exoticism. Gauguin certainly isn't my favorite late 19th/early 20th century European/US artist- Homer, Hassam, Monet, Degas, Renoir, Van Gogh, Seurat, Matisse are all preferable in my opinion to name a bunch. All I'm saying is that this is a famed piece of art.)

The United States stuff was good and abundant too like with Europe, a bit of silverware by famed Bostonian Paul Revere himself was the among the items. A painting with a kitty by Samuel Morse too, before he invented Morse Code. (I missed the indigenous Americas collection though, apparently it was on the ground floor I didn't see.😑) This one Gilbert Stuart (the prolific painter whose George Washington portrait is the basis of the $1 bill's depiction of the 1st prez) caught my attention.:

SC70.jpg

Looked very priestly, too richly so for a country founded on Protestantism. Turned out this guy was Boston's first Catholic bishop, assigned to the job in 1810. A nice touch of local history, the US was certainly anti-Catholic back then.

To be kind to all religions.:

SC408903.jpg

A quaint silver early 20th century Hanukkah lamp from Algeria, the museum has only recently founded a Judaica collection.

The African collection had a room filled with what seems to have been a few of the infamous ~4000 "Benin Bronzes" that were taken out of the kingdom of Benin (now part of Nigeria) when the British conquered it.:

SC267015.jpg

The East Asian stuff did have two long display cases of Goryeo-era pottery from Korea, all in the muted green shade known as celadon.:

SC259399.jpg

Japan's presence was lacking in the East Asia stuff, oddly, but I take it that stuff was in rooms under renovation/redecorating. Which I understand. Though I was disappointed that they had not a single depiction of the popular Amitabha/Amida Buddha on display, plenty of Avalokiteshvara/Guayin/Kannon though, which is to be expected. There was one Lokapala/Four Heavenly Kings grouping on show (I like seeing them), as a well as a Maitreya the Future Buddha, and a little Bhaisajyaguru statue- the Medicine Buddha who I usually don't see in museum collections.

And in South Asia:

SC109110.jpg

A four-headed Shiva! Not exactly a very common depiction of him IIRC from all the museums I've been too. 161 cm/63 in tall made it rather impressive too.  I really like Hindu sculptures...

SC266910.jpg

And Durga as Mahishasuramardini from pre-Islamic Indonesia. A goddess who owns.

Thank you Shin Megami Tensei (and Japanese gaming in general) for growing my interest in Hindu and Buddhist mythologies.

Oh, and there was an instrument collection from across the Old World, they had Japanese, Arabic, Indic instruments to name those I can remember. Although, a European instrument did catch my attention the most.:

SC14535.jpg

Not a piano, but a harpsichord, LxWxH 238x89x92 cm/93x35x36 inches in size (when the top is lowered that is). Still a good size, but really, what drew my attention was whoever had the idea to fit two paintings on the underside like that.

And this was from a neat contemporary temporary exhibit.:

SC447282_16x9.jpg?itok=lS2UZrUW

A Chinese modern artist named Wu Junyong who takes classical East Asian and European mythos and concepts and gives his own contemporary spin on them. Appreciable, particularly in a museum loaded with the long-dead traditional interpretations of it all.

...And I think I wrote out enough.😅 I wish I could've lingered inside the museum longer -that's bound to happen with the giant ones.

I'll get to reading/responding to what I missed later.

Man, dealing with that 0.6% drop is... If I could use the Luck DSS boost power, but I can't...

Should've gotten at least a STR boosting ring before doing this...

Me savescumming the fight with Veran until i win (i was like at half a heart the whole time)

thanos-time.gif

Onto Holodrum. I'll be using the password generator to cheat.

Although damn

1000.png?width=413&height=618

Queen Ambi looks like Maleficent. 

48 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Oh my god

Late game Engage Lunatic is fucking intense. What the fuck.

This feels like my first CQ Luna run all over again.

tumblr_23262c111487977e659a1e39906caa4d_

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Back from my little trip

Welcome back.

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This one caught my attention. That portrait is NOT pharaonic Egyptian! This was expectably dated to the pre-Christian imperial Roman period, this is religio-cultural syncretism on display! Egypt's burial method with Greco-Roman influences.

Today on things i learned. It's not farfetched but i wouldn't have imagined it, given the different interpretations of the afterlife.