Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Me savescumming the fight with Veran until i win (i was like at half a heart the whole time)

1000.png?width=413&height=618

Queen Ambi looks like Maleficent. 

I just noticed, she uses the same nail polish as Ralph.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think Din has the fastest on-screen record for kidnapped Zelda girl in the series.

And fastest on-screen record of the Hylian Knights (in)competence.

Oracle of Ages goes hard and it's biggest issue is that it's a Game Boy game (review)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages is surprisingly great. With an asterisk but i'll get to that. The Oracle duology was always a missing piece of my history with this series and now that i've completed Ages, i gotta say, it kinda goes hard.

This is the Zelda game that puts it's biggest emphasis on it's puzzles. The puzzles here feel like a step above Zelda's usual puzzle selection, in fact, i don't think the games get this crazy again in that department until Breath of the Wild. As things stand right now, the game is probably the closest the series comes to the CrossCode level of puzzle quality (though i'd say there's still a big difference between this game's puzzles and CrossCode's).

Veran is an interesting villain if only because she's the only main villain who is female. Rather insane when you think about it. I also want to point out that she looks like an animated Disney villain. The way the time travel works allowed for an improved execution of the Dark World concept when compared to A Link to the Past(and tbh A Link Between Worlds too) where both worlds matter instead of just only mattering half of the time. It is also pretty funny that this is the second Zelda game that handles the element of time way better than Ocarina of Time.

Also the soundtrack kinda goes hard. I mean the overworld themes and boss themes are reused from Link's Awakening but nobody told me Moonlit Grotto and Skull Dungeon had banger of a theme. And it was around this point i realized that Zelda dungeon music is usually just noise to me and the two dungeons i mentioned are two of five Zelda dungeons in the entire series where i've gone "oh yeah, this music slaps".

My main gripes with this game stem from the fact that it's a Game Boy game. The tiny 4x4 screen makes the navigation a massive pain in the ass, turning this game into a certified "walkthrough game" and although i had more fun with it than A Link to the Past, another "walkthrough game", at the same time i wonder how the flying hell anyone was supposed to get to Crescent Island without looking it up. Or the entire Rolling Ridges segment. Other Game Boy specific gripes include the constant menuing cause the game only lets you equip two items at a time and this includes stuff that would normally be passives in the other games and the fact that the map screens are useless.

The good news is that this game would benefit tremendously from a Link's Awakening HD treatment. When most of your issues are simply because the console limits your power, that's the mark of a really good game. As it is though, the Game Boy is pretty much the only thing keeping me from giving this game a higher score.

8/10, Switch Hook and Seed Shooter go hard.

Edited by Armagon

Well, after the other item dropped a second time, I took it the sign I wasn't gonna get that card tonight. Will have to try again tomorrow.

Hmm, I could have time to upload the chapter... still need to think of a name...

Okay, I think I have decided on the name. Though now I won't have the chance to upload until tomorrow after work. Well, it's fine.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

ln3Sb2S.png

The Pokemon hierarchy must be insane

t3mSL8d.pnggfDQ5qQ.png

They call them beauties because they always have the best opinions.

gTynngx.pngtK4fEv1.png

t9oHlEB.gif

4vFYwQ4.png

bnyRehh.jpg

QVsASoj.png

That sprite is adorable

Q3XLZZ9.png

I misread that as "fuck" for a moment there

9ywjI8p.png

To extend our reach to the stars above...

VVuyuFe.png

Now that's a fourth wall break if I've ever seen one.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

tumblr_23262c111487977e659a1e39906caa4d_

I am not complaining 😄

This is exactly what i wanted

Although sometimes i felt a bit too much lol, but this is exactly how i felt in my first CQ luna run at first

@Interdimensional Observer You enjoyed your time it seems 😄 

That "mummy" is hella interesting. Never knew that parctice carried over into later times as well.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

9CYxp3c.pngn0hAQ0O.pngyryf7HB.pngUrixAA8.png

I FINALLY FRICKIN' FINISHED A NUZLOCKE

This took me so many tries I'm surprised my IRL deathless run managed to outlast it.

Here's the squad that finally did it!

j2alezr.pngjTtsoVy.png

Blue Bossa the Altaria was used sporadically throughout the run, coming in especially handy during Juan's gym, Maxie, and Aqua Hideout. Blue Bossa ultimately edged out a Flygon for a place on the Elite Four team because I wanted the better defensive typing against the champion. Though useless in the Glacia fight, he was great in all the other ones, getting some lucky paralysis hits on Drake's scarier pokemon. She also single-handedly won the Champion fight by setting up dragon dance against Wallace's Whiscash, then, after getting a lucky OHKO on his terrifying Milotic, sealed the deal with a perish song on the champ's last pokemon before switching out. Blue Bossa, though a late bloomer, certainly was a boss!

Wn5E8UD.pngTeEnF5V.png

Peebs the Crobat, in spite of the headache caused by grinding friendship for its evolution, was a key part of the team for several terrifying fights from Winona onwards. Because the Zubat line is PBG's favorite pokemon, I named it after my childhood's favorite Youtuber! I never really capitalized on Peebs' offensive capabilities, but his tremendous bulk and speed both came in handy, and he won me the fight against Phoebe by standing up to the Dusclops that would have otherwise swept us.

LzZ4gNX.pngsWfvJbs.png

The oldest member of the Elite Four squad, I caught Petanque shortly before the first gym, and though she remained in the box for quite some time, she came up huge in the lategame and became a key offensive member of my team. Aerial Ace saved me more times than I can remember, and Petanque managed to bravely brute force through more than one otherwise run-ending opponent, most notably Juan's Kingdra. After the Phoebe fight went awry, I decided to sack Petanque for the sake of wearing down the last Dusclops. Petanque had other plans, though, as she dodged the rock move and finished off the rest of the team. She proceeded to be a minor player the rest of the way, but landed the run's final blow against Ludicolo, who didn't survive the three turns of Perish Song.

olcwxm1.pngCAHlsJE.png

I love Ninetails, and this one had a really good nature- Unfortunately, the lategame isn't very kind to fire types, with Juan's water-type gym backed on to an Elite Four and Champion in which there are a great deal of really strong water and ground types. However, due to an unfortunate other death, Flambé wound up on my team as well. My plan was for him to Sunny Day and Flamethrower through Glacia, but that didn't really end up happening. He landed a few key hits in Phoebe's fight and lived through Walrein's Surf to set up Sunny Day, but I ultimately sacked him there both to get the Overheat off and to get a safe switch into the only member of the team who could possibly scratch Walrein. He also missed the Overheat, but god love him he's trying.

pgeMIEe.pngOZAUeIE.png

Trike was our second-oldest E4 member, joining just before Wattson's gym. After being in the team but not actually being deployed in the Wattson fight, he sat in the box doing nothing for the next five gyms, making it onto the final team for basically two reasons: Glacia's Walrein and Wallace's Gyarados. His Nature was a bit unfortunate (-SpA, +Spe), but he had enough juice to do exactly what I asked him to. The entire run actually did end up coming down to him landing a Thunder against Wallace's Wailord, since I couldn't risk him dying to Blizzard. He landed that, easily eliminated Gyarados, and passed off the baton to Blue Bossa, who took care of the rest.

yryf7HB.pngUrixAA8.png

All praise Quaggles the Whiscash, what a champ. Carried me through the entire game after Tate and Liza, and even managed to be useful there by baiting some Solar Beams. I initially brought her along just because she's a silly little guy with a goofy smile, but as it turns out... Well, Whiscash good! I hadn't really realized just how different Competitive and actual Pokemon are until she came along.

(I also wanted to sweep with Dragon Dance, which Whiscash can learn for some reason, but it turns out to be only through breeding)

Regardless, Quaggles was an absolute sponge for damage, and could equally dish out serious damage with Surf or Earthquake. Quaggles' typing is incredible for the Elite Four because there are so few grass types, meaning that Quaggles could always switch in safely against anything. Not seen here in Quaggles' moveset Blizzard, which she dropped after Drake, because apparently this goofy fish can learn Fissure, which was basically my backup plan if Trike missed the Thunder. Quaggles carried me through Juan by sweeping through the first half of the gym then stalling away all of Kingdra's Aurora Beams, allowing me to safely bring in Petanque. She then breezed through the first E4 member, tanked about half of the second, dealt with most of the third, and then won the entire game against Drake via Blizzard. She hit every single attack she needed to, slaying Shelgon, Altaria, Flygon and Salamence. I had no other good answer to any of them, but Quaggles took everything they threw at her and dished it back in full. She then got to relax as Trike, Bossa, and Petanque sorted out the Champion.

All hail Quaggles! All hail Quaggles!

NRqCYE8.png

Casualties were surprisingly minimal! Taco Brell the Breloom was an absolute champ through the earlygame, but regretfully died while placing down a leech seed on Flannery's Torkoal because I couldn't find any other way to kill it. Spleen the Swellow subsequently died because Torkoal paralyzed four different pokemon with four consecutive Body Slams.

The remaining three casualties were Laurence the Bellossom, who slayed my dad's Slaking, How Lewd the Tentacruel who was a staple of the team right to his very end, and Thelonious the Castform, who was very useful but met a regretfully early grave. All three perished in the Tate and Liza fight.

Of all these deaths, Thelonious' was probably the most impactful; something to control the weather throughout the Elite Four would have been really nice. The task was instead left to Flambe, who would have ended up in heaven as well if he had not been able to walk off being killed thanks to the valor of his teammates. I wish I could have saved Breloom not only because it's really good and probably would have made the Elite Four team, but also because Wattson without it is terrifying, and Breloom deserved a pension after that one.

The most avoidable death was probably Laurence's, since I forgot to give him any damaging moves before tossing him in to the Tate and Liza fight. He was supposed to kill the Xatu, but it's hard to do that with Stun Powder.

rsR7MSL.png

Finally, honorable mentions! Dog. the Mightyena was our first encounter, and was on the team pretty much the whole game! Intimidate is quite nice, so even though Crunch's damage was lacking, he still was pretty nifty, particularly for neutralizing Norman's Slaking.

kabLFYX.png

Ziggy Stardust the Zigzagoon, much like all Zigzagoon, impressed with damage output with STAB Headbutt, and saw use late into the game. She never participated in any major gym battles, but stood alongside us for a lot of Strength push puzzles and defeated Maxie's Crobat.

bqBTyUv.png

I used Vursle the Flygon only once, but could have made the E4 team. I ultimately chose Blue Bossa over him because of the latter's better defensive stats and Quaggles already being able to sweep with Earthquake.

KyhIybG.png

I always try to avoid using Gyarados because of how crazy powerful it is, but because I'm sick of losing to Winona, I made an exception and allowed this one onto the team. With literally a perfect nature and insane stats, this Gyarados was named after Diablo the Cheater. After safely defeating Winona's Altaria, Diablo returned to his interdimensional sex simulator (powered by a fucking necromancer), and used that game on a daily basis for the rest of the run as he stayed in the box.

LZ5gqsW.png

Tropius is not a good pokemon. Or so I thought. I caught Ataulfo the Tropius shortly before Winona, and she actually was tremendous both for Tate and Liza and for Juan, the former taking advantage of Chlorophyll and the latter of the grass typing. I was astonished at how she somehow couldn't one-shot Lunatone or Solrock in spite of Solar Beam being super-effective, but the damage she output was still unmatched.

tm8lNzT.png

Moonshine the Dustox for being really darn nifty in the earlygame. Never left the bench after Norman's gym, but played a big role in it and the non-Flannery gyms preceding it.

3dfPGBh.png

Herbie Hancock the Kecleon, because the song Chameleon is good. I never actually used Kecleon, though. I considered it for the E4 thanks to its big special bulk, but decided that there were better candidates.

Wrdn8Nv.png

Chunk the Lairon who appeared once in the entire playthrough- Tanking Slaking every other turn while Dog. intimidated it down. I only bring this up because I really like Lairon, what a cute little guy.

8zcVqwX.png

My dear starter, Pok-Pok. I almost always name my Torchic "Pollo Power", but I switched things up this time. Being a starter, it was nice in the earlygame, but its only real contributions were in Wattson's gym, where it took out the terrifying Magneton, and Norman's gym, where it kicked Norman's three weaker normal types/ Having finally finished Emerald... Zoinks, this thing really does have pretty much the worst possible typing for it. It's not very helpful for either of the first two gyms (though it could suffice), does well in the third, can't do much in the fourth, does well in the fifth, then is weak to the sixth, seventh and eighth gyms, not to mention most of the Elite Four, where it matches well against the already nonthreatening dark types and does poorly against the ghost, ice, dragon, and water types behind it. Maybe it'd be good for the ice fight were it not for the fact that this game has no ice types, so they just made it a water-type fight with hail and two glalie in-between the water types.

F for Pok-Pok, who never even got to evolve.

RehxHQ6.png

Cradily, who I chose over the immensely superior Armaldo because I decided I wanted to be out-of-the-box and use Cradily's great defense to back its pretty decent offense. Plus, I think it's really cool, and kinda cute in its own way too.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't figure out how to make it work. It barely resists anything at all and equally has a terrible offensive moveset that can't be readily offset by TMs because there just really doesn't seem to be any good bug or rock-type TMs available.

All right, here we go.

Time to fight racism.

Surely it'll compensate for my first run, where I enabled racism instead. And my next run, where I probably will enable it again.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

SC218858.jpg

Mummies ofc.

I love that. Lowkey hilarious.

That's all so cool. I particularly like the harpichord with the pretty little landscape painted on the cover. It's majestic.

3 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

ln3Sb2S.png

Oh hey, it'd been a while since the last of Quetzalmon.

3 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

VVuyuFe.png

Now that's a fourth wall break if I've ever seen one.

But what if I throw a masterball at a magikarp? Does that count as throwing the game while throwing poke balls? Makes one think, don't it.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Although sometimes i felt a bit too much lol

Oh God it really is Conquest Lunatic.

...I don't know how to feel about that. I still haven't been tempted to return to Conquest. Then again, time crystals are a thing here, at least. Having to redo 40 minutes of identical movements to correct a single mistake was what killed my will to play Conquest, primarily. The second reason was that there were more generics I liked than real playables, which is also not a thing here.

Yes... This might work yet.

58 minutes ago, Benice said:

This took me so many tries I'm surprised my IRL deathless run managed to outlast it.

That's a really funny line. My regards.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

rsR7MSL.png

Dog.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh God it really is Conquest Lunatic.

Yes.

Maybe a bit easier since no staff Savant or Inevitable End bs, but the game has other crazy tools to pull.

They heard people found 3H too easy and decided to give Conquest difficulty another try

Then again, time crystals are a thing here

Ngl one of my thoughts yesterday during ch.24 was like "Ruben would hate this without Turnwheel" lol, considering i've been close to 3 Hours in each map late game lmao

If i was on the design team honestly i would've been even more mean and put a couple Entraps and Enfeebles here and there, just to truly emulate Conquest Lunatic

Although i found enemy Physic staff users in this game to be the most mean of all, they almost completely ruined my plans yesterday with their healing focus much more than any Enfeeble ever did lol

Also compared to Conquest you have many more fun tools like Warp/Rescue and stuff. Cheesing with them can be hard to pull off thanks to how strong bosses are, but you can use them as tools.

Oh, I just realized, another difference is that Engage is also more ironmannable. We've had our arguments over this topic in Conquest, but it is undeniable Engage is more lenient here. It tosses a lot more units at you, without requirements of ball-crushingly difficult paralogues (in fact, without requirements period in most cases lol), and they all tend to scale well with the game's progression - so well in fact, there's no argument not to replace the entire Firene squad aside from favoritism lol

Not to mention, Emblems are always there for you to use, regardless. So if worse comes to worst, I can always let some kid or other die horribly for the sake of victory.

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yes.

Maybe a bit easier since no staff Savant or Inevitable End bs

Good.

Fucking

good.

They heard people found 3H too easy and decided to give Conquest difficulty another try

Honestly, preferable. I'd rather have a game that's so infernally difficult I never return to it, than a game that bores me so much I never return to it. The difference is, one of these leaves a lasting impression. I still have flashbacks to F-Zero GX mission 7...

Ngl one of my thoughts yesterday during ch.24 was like "Ruben would hate this without Turnwheel" lol, considering i've been close to 3 Hours in each map lmao

...Sheesh...

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, I just realized, another difference is that Engage is also more ironmannable. We've had our arguments over this topic in Conquest, but it is undeniable Engage is more lenient here

I think one point in CQ's Favor is RNG migitation.

Conquest gives you much more tools to migitate RNG with. Rallies, skills and supports being more powerful. I know in CQ how to migitate Low%crit or hit/avo with the skills and supports needed.

Not that easy to do in Egage. Infact, yesterday had me lamenting not having Timerra in the team because the 3 Range -5 crit could've saved me from some low crit annoyances yesterday.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Honestly, preferable. I'd rather have a game that's so infernally difficult I never return to it, than a game that bores me so much I never return to it. The difference is, one of these leaves a lasting impression.

Facts!

And i think you will return to Engage more than CQ because turnwheel can act as a save tool as well. Or for RNG moments.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Sheesh...

Probably first Lunatic run syndrome. It's quite different and much much harder than hard tbh.

Or maybe i fucked around too much dunno lol

The real problem is that now the game's been out for a while and the bad units are better known.

I am not going to be able to keep myself from using Bunet.

Honestly, the only units i'd call really bad are Alfred, Bencheron and Jean. I can't see how these can be salvaged, especially with how strong maddening enemies are.

18 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I think one point in CQ's Favor is RNG migitation.

Conquest gives you much more tools to migitate RNG with. Rallies, skills and supports being more powerful. I know in CQ how to migitate Low%crit or hit/avo with the skills and supports needed.

Not that easy to do in Egage. Infact, yesterday had me lamenting not having Timerra in the team because the 3 Range -5 crit could've saved me from some low crit annoyances yesterday.

Well, to be fair, that could just be your greater experience with Conquest speaking. I know I had a serious issue with tiny crit rates in Conquest the times I played it. Perhaps people just need more time to tear this game open as they have with Conquest.

Facts!

And i think you will return to Engage more than CQ because turnwheel can act as a save tool as well. Or for RNG moments.

Yeah, turnwheel but no battle saves really seems like the perfect balance here. A completely hopeless strategy won't do it because you'll run out of crystals, but you can at least make one or two careless mistakes / misclicks and if the overall strategy is sound, you'll get by.

Honestly, the only units i'd call really bad are Alfred, Bencheron and Jean. I can't see how these can be salvaged, especially with how strong maddening enemies are.

...Welp.

Leave it to me.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

that could just be your greater experience with Conquest speaking.

yeah, a thought i had as well. I have like 10+ Fates runs while i am still in my 2nd Engage run lol (and first Lunatic).

You know what Engage needs tho? Engage 2 because i want another 50 maps with the same gameplay system lol

Engage is quite a meaty game gameplay wise isn't. 26 Main maps + 15 Paralogues + 12 DLC. That's quite meaty.

Yeah, turnwheel but no battle saves really seems like the perfect balance here. A completely hopeless strategy won't do it because you'll run out of crystals, but you can at least make one or two careless mistakes / misclicks and if the overall strategy is sound, you'll get by.

yeah it's pretty good. Most of the time i use turnwheel to test attack ranges and stuff, honestly lol. You have got lotsa terrain manipulation tools this game and that messes with the movements quite a bit lol

Also RNG XD

...Welp.

Leave it to me.

Tbf

I have seen a video where a lvl1 Jean deafeted the final boss on Maddening, thanks to True damage abilities

29 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Engage is quite a meaty game gameplay wise isn't. 26 Main maps + 15 Paralogues + 12 DLC. That's quite meaty

Some maps are a tad short though. Lucina's paralogue comes to mind here.

Pushing people off cliffs in Triangle Strategy never gets old.

28 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

You know what Engage needs tho? Engage 2 because i want another 50 maps with the same gameplay system lol

Haha, well, honestly, while I definitely want Engage 2: Now With Story for the next FE, I feel like this game's going to take a while for me to get my fill.

Engage is quite a meaty game gameplay wise isn't. 26 Main maps + 15 Paralogues + 12 DLC. That's quite meaty.

It's fucking massive more like. 53 maps, that's more than Berwick fuckin' Saga. And this isn't even taking tempest trials into acount. Definitely the biggest FE we've ever had. And it didn't even need roots to do it, incredible!

Tbf

I have seen a video where a lvl1 Jean deafeted the final boss on Maddening, thanks to True damage abilities

Yeah, I saw that as well. If they can do that, surely I can use Bunet in maddening.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

Some maps are a tad short though. Lucina's paralogue comes to mind here.

Tbf it's an Awakening Map

It and Celica's maps you can'T do much with xD

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Definitely the biggest FE we've ever had.

Fates

5 Prologue + 22 per route + 22 child Paralogues + 22 DLC

That's 115 Maps.

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Tbf it's an Awakening Map

It and Celica's maps you can'T do much with xD

That's not totally true honestly, they just wanted to make it basically a 1:1 recreation for reasons. XD

6 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

ln3Sb2S.png

Hey, it's a guaranteed win.

4 hours ago, Benice said:

9CYxp3c.pngn0hAQ0O.pngyryf7HB.pngUrixAA8.png

I FINALLY FRICKIN' FINISHED A NUZLOCKE

Here's the squad that finally did it!

j2alezr.pngjTtsoVy.png

Blue Bossa the Altaria was used sporadically throughout the run, coming in especially handy during Juan's gym, Maxie, and Aqua Hideout. Blue Bossa ultimately edged out a Flygon for a place on the Elite Four team because I wanted the better defensive typing against the champion. Though useless in the Glacia fight, he was great in all the other ones, getting some lucky paralysis hits on Drake's scarier pokemon. She also single-handedly won the Champion fight by setting up dragon dance against Wallace's Whiscash, then, after getting a lucky OHKO on his terrifying Milotic, sealed the deal with a perish song on the champ's last pokemon before switching out. Blue Bossa, though a late bloomer, certainly was a boss!

Wn5E8UD.pngTeEnF5V.png

Peebs the Crobat, in spite of the headache caused by grinding friendship for its evolution, was a key part of the team for several terrifying fights from Winona onwards. Because the Zubat line is PBG's favorite pokemon, I named it after my childhood's favorite Youtuber! I never really capitalized on Peebs' offensive capabilities, but his tremendous bulk and speed both came in handy, and he won me the fight against Phoebe by standing up to the Dusclops that would have otherwise swept us.

LzZ4gNX.pngsWfvJbs.png

The oldest member of the Elite Four squad, I caught Petanque shortly before the first gym, and though she remained in the box for quite some time, she came up huge in the lategame and became a key offensive member of my team. Aerial Ace saved me more times than I can remember, and Petanque managed to bravely brute force through more than one otherwise run-ending opponent, most notably Juan's Kingdra. After the Phoebe fight went awry, I decided to sack Petanque for the sake of wearing down the last Dusclops. Petanque had other plans, though, as she dodged the rock move and finished off the rest of the team. She proceeded to be a minor player the rest of the way, but landed the run's final blow against Ludicolo, who didn't survive the three turns of Perish Song.

olcwxm1.pngCAHlsJE.png

I love Ninetails, and this one had a really good nature- Unfortunately, the lategame isn't very kind to fire types, with Juan's water-type gym backed on to an Elite Four and Champion in which there are a great deal of really strong water and ground types. However, due to an unfortunate other death, Flambé wound up on my team as well. My plan was for him to Sunny Day and Flamethrower through Glacia, but that didn't really end up happening. He landed a few key hits in Phoebe's fight and lived through Walrein's Surf to set up Sunny Day, but I ultimately sacked him there both to get the Overheat off and to get a safe switch into the only member of the team who could possibly scratch Walrein. He also missed the Overheat, but god love him he's trying.

pgeMIEe.pngOZAUeIE.png

Trike was our second-oldest E4 member, joining just before Wattson's gym. After being in the team but not actually being deployed in the Wattson fight, he sat in the box doing nothing for the next five gyms, making it onto the final team for basically two reasons: Glacia's Walrein and Wallace's Gyarados. His Nature was a bit unfortunate (-SpA, +Spe), but he had enough juice to do exactly what I asked him to. The entire run actually did end up coming down to him landing a Thunder against Wallace's Wailord, since I couldn't risk him dying to Blizzard. He landed that, easily eliminated Gyarados, and passed off the baton to Blue Bossa, who took care of the rest.

yryf7HB.pngUrixAA8.png

All praise Quaggles the Whiscash, what a champ. Carried me through the entire game after Tate and Liza, and even managed to be useful there by baiting some Solar Beams. I initially brought her along just because she's a silly little guy with a goofy smile, but as it turns out... Well, Whiscash good! I hadn't really realized just how different Competitive and actual Pokemon are until she came along.

(I also wanted to sweep with Dragon Dance, which Whiscash can learn for some reason, but it turns out to be only through breeding)

Regardless, Quaggles was an absolute sponge for damage, and could equally dish out serious damage with Surf or Earthquake. Quaggles' typing is incredible for the Elite Four because there are so few grass types, meaning that Quaggles could always switch in safely against anything. Not seen here in Quaggles' moveset Blizzard, which she dropped after Drake, because apparently this goofy fish can learn Fissure, which was basically my backup plan if Trike missed the Thunder. Quaggles carried me through Juan by sweeping through the first half of the gym then stalling away all of Kingdra's Aurora Beams, allowing me to safely bring in Petanque. She then breezed through the first E4 member, tanked about half of the second, dealt with most of the third, and then won the entire game against Drake via Blizzard. She hit every single attack she needed to, slaying Shelgon, Altaria, Flygon and Salamence. I had no other good answer to any of them, but Quaggles took everything they threw at her and dished it back in full. She then got to relax as Trike, Bossa, and Petanque sorted out the Champion.

All hail Quaggles! All hail Quaggles!

NRqCYE8.png

Casualties were surprisingly minimal! Taco Brell the Breloom was an absolute champ through the earlygame, but regretfully died while placing down a leech seed on Flannery's Torkoal because I couldn't find any other way to kill it. Spleen the Swellow subsequently died because Torkoal paralyzed four different pokemon with four consecutive Body Slams.

The remaining three casualties were Laurence the Bellossom, who slayed my dad's Slaking, How Lewd the Tentacruel who was a staple of the team right to his very end, and Thelonious the Castform, who was very useful but met a regretfully early grave. All three perished in the Tate and Liza fight.

Of all these deaths, Thelonious' was probably the most impactful; something to control the weather throughout the Elite Four would have been really nice. The task was instead left to Flambe, who would have ended up in heaven as well if he had not been able to walk off being killed thanks to the valor of his teammates. I wish I could have saved Breloom not only because it's really good and probably would have made the Elite Four team, but also because Wattson without it is terrifying, and Breloom deserved a pension after that one.

The most avoidable death was probably Laurence's, since I forgot to give him any damaging moves before tossing him in to the Tate and Liza fight. He was supposed to kill the Xatu, but it's hard to do that with Stun Powder.

rsR7MSL.png

Finally, honorable mentions! Dog. the Mightyena was our first encounter, and was on the team pretty much the whole game! Intimidate is quite nice, so even though Crunch's damage was lacking, he still was pretty nifty, particularly for neutralizing Norman's Slaking.

kabLFYX.png

Ziggy Stardust the Zigzagoon, much like all Zigzagoon, impressed with damage output with STAB Headbutt, and saw use late into the game. She never participated in any major gym battles, but stood alongside us for a lot of Strength push puzzles and defeated Maxie's Crobat.

bqBTyUv.png

I used Vursle the Flygon only once, but could have made the E4 team. I ultimately chose Blue Bossa over him because of the latter's better defensive stats and Quaggles already being able to sweep with Earthquake.

KyhIybG.png

I always try to avoid using Gyarados because of how crazy powerful it is, but because I'm sick of losing to Winona, I made an exception and allowed this one onto the team. With literally a perfect nature and insane stats, this Gyarados was named after Diablo the Cheater. After safely defeating Winona's Altaria, Diablo returned to his interdimensional sex simulator (powered by a fucking necromancer), and used that game on a daily basis for the rest of the run as he stayed in the box.

LZ5gqsW.png

Tropius is not a good pokemon. Or so I thought. I caught Ataulfo the Tropius shortly before Winona, and she actually was tremendous both for Tate and Liza and for Juan, the former taking advantage of Chlorophyll and the latter of the grass typing. I was astonished at how she somehow couldn't one-shot Lunatone or Solrock in spite of Solar Beam being super-effective, but the damage she output was still unmatched.

tm8lNzT.png

Moonshine the Dustox for being really darn nifty in the earlygame. Never left the bench after Norman's gym, but played a big role in it and the non-Flannery gyms preceding it.

3dfPGBh.png

Herbie Hancock the Kecleon, because the song Chameleon is good. I never actually used Kecleon, though. I considered it for the E4 thanks to its big special bulk, but decided that there were better candidates.

Wrdn8Nv.png

Chunk the Lairon who appeared once in the entire playthrough- Tanking Slaking every other turn while Dog. intimidated it down. I only bring this up because I really like Lairon, what a cute little guy.

8zcVqwX.png

My dear starter, Pok-Pok. I almost always name my Torchic "Pollo Power", but I switched things up this time. Being a starter, it was nice in the earlygame, but its only real contributions were in Wattson's gym, where it took out the terrifying Magneton, and Norman's gym, where it kicked Norman's three weaker normal types/ Having finally finished Emerald... Zoinks, this thing really does have pretty much the worst possible typing for it. It's not very helpful for either of the first two gyms (though it could suffice), does well in the third, can't do much in the fourth, does well in the fifth, then is weak to the sixth, seventh and eighth gyms, not to mention most of the Elite Four, where it matches well against the already nonthreatening dark types and does poorly against the ghost, ice, dragon, and water types behind it. Maybe it'd be good for the ice fight were it not for the fact that this game has no ice types, so they just made it a water-type fight with hail and two glalie in-between the water types.

F for Pok-Pok, who never even got to evolve.

RehxHQ6.png

Cradily, who I chose over the immensely superior Armaldo because I decided I wanted to be out-of-the-box and use Cradily's great defense to back its pretty decent offense. Plus, I think it's really cool, and kinda cute in its own way too.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't figure out how to make it work. It barely resists anything at all and equally has a terrible offensive moveset that can't be readily offset by TMs because there just really doesn't seem to be any good bug or rock-type TMs available.

These are all 10/10 names.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, I just realized, another difference is that Engage is also more ironmannable. We've had our arguments over this topic in Conquest, but it is undeniable Engage is more lenient here. It tosses a lot more units at you, without requirements of ball-crushingly difficult paralogues (in fact, without requirements period in most cases lol), and they all tend to scale well with the game's progression - so well in fact, there's no argument not to replace the entire Firene squad aside from favoritism lol

Not to mention, Emblems are always there for you to use, regardless. So if worse comes to worst, I can always let some kid or other die horribly for the sake of victory

The biggest difference is still that Engage doesn't force you to hoard that freeze staff you got in Ch.8 in order to have a passable chance at succeeding in the late game.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I mean

How could they've done it better? Arena Ferox is just a flat map. You can't do much with it XD

See the vision

latest.png?width=937&height=526

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The biggest difference is still that Engage doesn't force you to hoard that freeze staff you got in Ch.8 in order to have a passable chance at succeeding in the late game.

Yeah Engage gives you much more tools, and, that's the big thing in Engage's favour, they don't break the game sideways. 

It's honestly quite fun to use Warp staves liberally ala Thracia without the gaming breaking in 10 like Thracia did lol.

I really LOVE Engage's approach of giving the player as many fun and in other games would be outright broken tools as possible and designing a challenging experience around them. In any other game just 5% of the tools you get in Engage would break the game utterly. Even Fates

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

latest.png?width=937&height=526

LOL

Next Patch: Lucina's Paralogue now launches Smash. Alear added as Smash DLC for salt purposes