Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

The more i play Breath of the Wild, the more i absolutely fundamentally disagree with "Breath of the Wild is a good game but a bad Zelda game". I think too many people got caught up in the formula of the "game" that they missed the "feel".

Zelda at it's core has always been about an adventure. Even the two Zelda games i don't like are about this. Whether it follows a traditional dungeon formula, adds it's own spin on it or flat out does away with it, as long as the philosophy of an adventure is there, I think that's what makes a Zelda game. And Breath of the Wild is arguably the most adventurous game in the series. I can't in good faith call it a "bad" Zelda game simply because it doesn't follow traditional dungeon structure. 

Anyways here's how my mapless run is going

FuNSQR0agAExs8b?format=jpg&name=large

making some detours before i board Vah Medoh. Honestly it's been really satisfying to see this fill up as i go without activating the towers.

• Replies 175.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Oh, I just realized I forgot to show y'all the pictures of my experience in New York.

...I'll have to do that later, because HOLY FECKIN' CHRIST I GOT ACCEPTED TO PARTICIPATE A NATIONWIDE MUSIC COMPETITION IN MAY AAAAAAAAAAAA-

CONGRATS!!!🎉

https://strawpoll.com/polls/PbZqRq4VvyN

Tell me what game you'd like to see me play and talk about

I'm doing this because I'm an indecisive little bastard who is terrified of trying anything new by their own accord

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The more i play Breath of the Wild, the more i absolutely fundamentally disagree with "Breath of the Wild is a good game but a bad Zelda game". I think too many people got caught up in the formula of the "game" that they missed the "feel".

Zelda at it's core has always been about an adventure. Even the two Zelda games i don't like are about this. Whether it follows a traditional dungeon formula, adds it's own spin on it or flat out does away with it, as long as the philosophy of an adventure is there, I think that's what makes a Zelda game. And Breath of the Wild is arguably the most adventurous game in the series. I can't in good faith call it a "bad" Zelda game simply because it doesn't follow traditional dungeon structure.

It's a bizarre idea to me as Zelda games have historical been perfectly fine with upending any "traditional" Zelda formulas for something new. Ocarina of Time was completely different in it's core focus compared to previous titles, as was Zelda II and Skyward Sword. Not the mention the fact that BoTW follows a formula very similar to that of Zelda 1.

8 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Wyvern can't quad easily. Fists can. Don't forget, Eirika deals% damage, so more attacks is better

Especially since non Fists braves are pretty heavy

That's true, but getting a character whose power doesn't get crippled by the arts' damage calculation isn't so easy.

...or at least, so say the pros. I've had great success with Zelkov and he's not exactly all that magically inclined.

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, trying to find the defined timeline of events in Engage can certainly be a bit hard. Like, I'm trying to look up what happened over at Elusia before the game began, for TDatP, and while there's certainly stuff, it's still not enough to piece a full sequence of events.

Let's see...

Spoiler

1. Brodia and Elusia are at constant one-off wars.

2. Hyacinth was a kind, gentle man who loved his kids.

3. Hyacinth fell under the Fell Dragon's "thrall" (his own words) even though Sombron was still dead then? Does he have passive manipulation magic that works very subtly, or...

3. Zephia came and fucked Hyacinth's brains out until she had him wrapped around her little finger.

4. Shit happened.

That's the best I got.

6 hours ago, Benice said:

Oh, I just realized I forgot to show y'all the pictures of my experience in New York.

...I'll have to do that later, because HOLY FECKIN' CHRIST I GOT ACCEPTED TO PARTICIPATE A NATIONWIDE MUSIC COMPETITION IN MAY AAAAAAAAAAAA-

Very nice. Go get 'em, break a leg or two!

5 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

He is a man of many *interests*. Variety is the spice of *life* after all.

"I could *cut* my enemies loose of their *lives* with these knives, but where is the *fun* in that? I think I will take up the *martial* arts instead. Going to the field of battle with only my *bare* fists, it should be quite the *thrilling* experience."

- Zelkov probably

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, for the subject of my fanfic, as I mentioned, I was looking up regarding Elusia's events shortly before the start of the game.

Looking up has yield me that:

Hortensia, and by association Rosado and Golmary, were at the Academy when Sombron was already at Elusia Castle, as it was after that that King Hyacinth called Hortensia back to the castle.

But the thing I was trying to look up specifically was in regards to Ivy. In her own words, Hortensia had catch up to her at the Academy. But then unlike Hortensia who still talks about needing to finish her education, hence wanting to get Lindon to teach her while the events of the game are happening, there's no word regarding Ivy needing the same. So when she said Hortensia had catch up, did it meant only in certain classes and Ivy had by now fully graduated, or not? Though, I suppose it could be the case. There's no specifics as to how Hyacinth handled appointing retainers to his daughters, but considering Ivy already had Zelkov for some unspecified time already (Kagetsu is more recent, considering he can celebrate the anniversary during the events of the game), then unless he had to follow her to the Academy, I would think the appointment was made after Ivy graduated. Hortensia still not having retainers in an official capacity (as Rosado and Goldmary just followed her for not wanting to separate from her) while still attending the Academy could imply this too.

But well, it's fine if I have to tweak or make up things for my fanfic to work the way I want it to go, but still...

We don't even know what is taught in this academy. For all we know Hortensia's passion was gardening all along.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Do not buy Advance Wars physically (for the time being).

Ahahahahahahah

Okay that's just a silly goof.

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

https://strawpoll.com/polls/PbZqRq4VvyN

Tell me what game you'd like to see me play and talk about

I'm doing this because I'm an indecisive little bastard who is terrified of trying anything new by their own accord

Much more interested in seeing what you think of Xenoblade, even if it runs the risk of turning this into Xenoblade: The Thread again, and the guarantee of heated arguments.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade 2/3/Future Redeemed

Spoiler

So can we say Rex fucking saved the world XD

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Weak

need healers

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

but getting a character whose power doesn't get crippled by the arts' damage calculation isn't so easy

Lunar brace goves you all the power needed.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

even if it runs the risk of turning this into Xenoblade: The Thread again

It's gonna happen in 4 days anyway 😛 

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Lunar brace goves you all the power needed.

True enough. Can't go wrong with 20% of enemy def.

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

It's gonna happen in 4 days anyway 😛 

4 days? It's already there lol

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Can't go wrong with 20% of enemy def.

30% on plus

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

4 days? It's already there lol

it will be more

MOAR

If you can reach ~35 ATK Late game + Lunar Brace+ with your Flashy Fister and quad with it, you are set honestly, @Saint Rubenio

And you only need that 30+ for Mages since they don't have the best Def, other units you will rely on Lunar Brace+

30% on plus

That's true. I'm in no hurry to play her paralogue, though. Lyn was very fair at this point, I think I'll do one paralogue per chapter going forward, in order of unlock.

it will be more

MOAR

I will continue to oppose by mean of *Zelkovposting*.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

If you can reach ~35 ATK Late game + Lunar Brace+ with your Flashy Fister and quad with it, you are set honestly, @Saint Rubenio

Duly noted.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And you only need that 30+ for Mages since they don't have the best Def, other units you will rely on Lunar Brace+

I only have Ivy as my mage.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

no no

I meant as in "against Mages" as they have low Def.

Brainderp lel

Honestly I didn't even stop to think about enemy mages because martial artists don't need the 20 or the 30 against them lol. With their low speed and bulk, they get eaten up by arts. Even in the unlikely event that the arts fail to kill, the mage gets broken, so it is easily finished off.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

If you can reach ~35 ATK Late game + Lunar Brace+ with your Flashy Fister and quad with it, you are set honestly

Are you saying Eirika is broken? Xd

I wonder if a 100% critical hit rate is preferable to raw damage Sparks. I suppose if nothing else the fact that there are only so many damage buffing Sparks makes it a good thing that there are multiple ways to bring up damage. And at least Rabbid Rosalina only needs one crit boosting Spark to reach 100%. In fact she can get 100% crit right from the word go.

This reminds me, I really hate how they suddenly have you use all 9 characters for the finale.
By all accounts it should be cool. In practice it's disappointing. For the endgame you want to see everyone at their best. But because there are not anywhere close to enough Sparks to satisfyingly equip all 9 characters, most attacks will be quite noodly indeed.

35 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

One thing the devs never realised, the higher stats for the enemies, the better things like Lunar Brace will get due to how math works in FE.

I am pretty sure they realised that. It seems intentional and not an oversight

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I am pretty sure they realised that. It seems intentional and not an oversight

if it trivialises challenge as much as you say, then it's probably not intentional.

6 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Ocarina of Time was completely different in it's core focus compared to previous titles, as was Zelda II and Skyward Sword. Not the mention the fact that BoTW follows a formula very similar to that of Zelda 1.

As was Majora's Mask, as was A Link Between Worlds.

But nah, we're gonna single out Breath of the Wild specifically. It always "it not what I look for in a Zelda game" as if that's the game's fault somehow.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Much more interested in seeing what you think of Xenoblade, even if it runs the risk of turning this into Xenoblade: The Thread again, and the guarantee of heated arguments.

It's gonna turn into Xenoblade: the Thread again anyways next week.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

need healers

Skill issue (ok yeah but it typically doesn't matter until like post round 20).

Pro trip, the game makes an auto save after every boss round so if you see yourself losing, you can reload (but you have to manually exit the game).

6 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

if it trivialises challenge as much as you say, then it's probably not intentional.

It doesn't trivalise anything at all. I never said that it does XD

It's strong, but it's also Player phase only and only with certain setups.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Pro trip, the game makes an auto save after every boss round so if you see yourself losing, you can reload (but you have to manually exit the game).

ah ok thx for the info

12 hours ago, Benice said:

CONGRAAAAAAAAATS

Break a leg!!

6 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

What's with the recent uproar of Nintendo taking down Youtube videos about their games' content? 

Thing that has happened for quite some time now happens again.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Thing that has happened for quite some time now happens again.

It seems most specifically directed towards Breath of the Wild. It's almost like they are doing this now since Tears of the Kingdom is coming out soon. lmao

Edited by Lightcosmo