Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Xenoblade Trinity spoilers (i think that's what they want to officially call the saga, just going off the upcoming OST release)

Spoiler

Zanza's Trinity

FubMPOkXoAA41Vb?format=png&name=900x900

Trinity Processor

FubMpIjWcAEoHuA?format=png&name=900x900

The last three letters of the alphabet

FubN929XwAcfvd7?format=png&name=900x900

but also applies to A

FubPYXPXoAACu75?format=jpg&name=medium

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Alright here's the deal, I'll put the images in spoilers if they show a major spoiler in them but aside from that I keep them out in the open so they're easier to reply to.

wZjNgF1.jpg

Oh yeah I'm also playing AC 2 and decided to take this scenic photo. Ain't it just grand?

eaxcsFM.jpg

Cave rat

L71nrfI.jpg

I can't quite put my finger on it but something about the movement in this game reminds me of how characters would move in 2010s era MMO games.

e4mDCs0.jpg

Huh?

04IBaQA.jpg

This isn't going to be a situation where I sell a bunch of my shit and then later realizing that I actually needed some of it to craft something right?

75JtKQN.jpg

Oh-

Oh my

PbAtRwz.jpg

The gang's all here!

XbUuAL3.jpg

I'm unreasonably happy that they keep the outfit options in the cutscenes.

u5eXkYB.jpg

Holy shit it's the guy from Smash Bros!

sOTq1sL.jpg

So, having a nice stretch there, Shulk?

Desert banger

12 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I can't quite put my finger on it but something about the movement in this game reminds me of how characters would move in 2010s era MMO games.

That is around the time the game originally came out yes. MMO-like is also what people compare the combat too, especially for this game.

10 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

04IBaQA.jpg

This isn't going to be a situation where I sell a bunch of my shit and then later realizing that I actually needed some of it to craft something right?

Eh, these are incredibly common. I wouldn't worry about it.

11 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

75JtKQN.jpg

Oh-

Oh my

clothes-really-arent-that-important-shul

I'd say, it just came to me.

There's no indication as to when exactly does the school year at Garreg Mach lasts, no? Dialogue states graduation definitely happens in March (well, the Fodlan equivalent). Although, you still have an instruct week in the second to last week of the month. But it could perhaps be excused if the impending attack had to change things around, or maybe graduation is at the very end of the month? And then as the beginning... even by late April the professors had yet to choose which class to teach. And considering it takes until the second Monday of May to actually instruct the students, then that's when the school year officially begins? Or at least the classes, with the Mock Battle being a gauge test of their skill before it's affected by class? Though then the students are already at the monastery much earlier, which is fine since it's a boarding type of school, but then as seen in the prologue, they were already doing stuff like training missions, so...

Ah well, not like I have plans to write TH fanfics where that is absolutely critical yet. Still, would be nice to actually know, if there is an answer at all...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Hide contents

Did we make completely different choices tho? We both surrendered Roland, both went to Hyzante to expose Sorsley. I know we did different things in Hyzante because you went to court and I didn’t, but other than that I allied with Aesfrost in chapter 8 (which is the most railroady choice in the game btw), and then went full evil ending and flooded the crown city and surrendered the Roselle. And also went to their empty houses to pick up Travis. The only reason we had the same ending the first time was because you were full evil but weren’t committed enough to pick the racism ending and went for the reasonable one, while I was reasonable all game.

All that is true but it’s hard to feel unsettled by it when that was the entire point of the ending. Roland’s whole argument is that a ton of people get to live pretty good lives while a minority of people will live awful lives, so seeing happy children and people wanting for nothing after submitting to Hyzante couldn’t really feel creepy. It would have felt creepy if it was juxtaposed to the Roselle, or Frederica, or any actual suffering. I get that we know about them but I feel like it undermines the weight of the ending when we get to see the positive consequences of the choice and not the negative ones.

To that end, people spouting the false religion didn’t really unsettle me because, well, they’re happier. Who cares that their god is completely made up for the sake of a corrupt government to hoard an essential resource? The Roselle do, but we didn’t get to see them. Roland and co know this stuff is false, but choose to expect it for a better world, so it’s hard to be 100% unsettled by their submitting without seeing the Roselle, but watching them bow in front of the hierophant in saint’s robes was pretty cool.

Incidentally, now that I’ve seen both paths, I wonder how surrendering/protecting the Roselle affects Frederica’s ending. If you go to the source after surrendering them and Jerrom doesn‘t pop up and go “ayy he kept his word and actually came back for us!”, I’m going to be disappointed.

Spoiler

Hahaha, yeah, too true. I wasn't committed enough to the evil. Weakness...

Anyway, yeah, Roland's compromise seems successful and that appears to be what the game shows. But we know what the cost was, and seeing all the people (and our "heroes") ignoring or even downplaying it is pretty disgusting. Besides, the way they just kept repeating Idore's nonsense, they felt like brainwashed machines. No freedom, free will or true happiness to be found here, only the false comfort of the Teachings. An empty existence of servitude to a fake deity, under threat of enslavement. And how long till Idore feels like a group is becoming troublesome and creates a different scapegoat? Maybe the Aesfrosti turn out to be distant relatives of the Roselle or something. He has absolute power, he can do whatever he feels like.

All in all, it's a super crappy situation and I simply couldn't see any part of it as "good". The Roselle are thoroughly screwed, everyone else is a brainwashed cog in Idore's machine, up to and including Serenoa and Roland... Really, the only one who is truly happy and free in this ending is Idore. And that's just not right.

...but then, perhaps this is just my interpretation of it, combined with my feelings on churches as institutions in general. Religion has sadly been greatly misused over human history by corrupt dickheads, and it is well reflected in the Hyzante ending.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

It was dicey for me, because he was almost dead but then nuked half of my team with his fire axe attack thing and I got Serenoa killed immediately after by doing something dumb. Luckily an enemy thunder mage was ready to take out his little bit of HP for me instead of making me pray I could get a turn for Hughette. It was funny.

You better have recorded it.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Octopath 2 is still hanging around.

Hah, true. And since I'm on PC, I can use mods to fix the flaws. Maybe someday.

7 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Gonzales finally rekt. Freaking Kamehameha man

Who even is Gonzales? A bandit?

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Spoiler

FubN929XwAcfvd7?format=png&name=900x900

Spoiler

Ahahahaha! Masculine looks funny! Look at that dumb face, it's great. Who is that? Is that Gonzales?

5 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

e4mDCs0.jpg

Huh

Anime and boobie humor. Name a more iconic duo.

75JtKQN.jpg

Oh-

Oh my

I would just like to point out you have a junk sword equipped.

I am going to surmise a guess that you're really feeling it?

sOTq1sL.jpg

So, having a nice stretch there, Shulk?

Hey you're not playing as him? Who is that you control? Where is Vangarre, anyway?

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Future Redeemed

Hide contents

KAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Spoiler

I mean, as far as I've heard Rex fucked anything with a hole, so obviously that would include his family. And the nopon. Probably Klaus too.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

ujcbWT6.png

April's been quite the month.

...Oh lordy, I'm moving out in a few months.

Help.

It's scary at first, but you get used to it.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Future Redeemed

Hide contents

KAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Eh

Spoiler

As long as they only marry into each other after a few generations it should be fine. That and city people are not just descendants of the founders

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Who even is Gonzales?

FXSy62MaUAENklD-800x445.jpg.webp

Immovable Gonzales

2 hours ago, Benice said:

ujcbWT6.png

Help.

Jooooooooooo :D

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Wait healers don't cap at 99 anymore?

Wouldn't surprise me if the Chain Attacks were simplified a bit. Torna simplified the Blade Combos too.

Well, shit. Color me surprised. Under the circumstances, and being GBA games with debatably worse visuals at a full 60 bucks, I sincerely expected this to flop miserably.

Glad for the franchise that I was wrong, though. There's a chance now. Perhaps.

...also I did not know the remake fixed FoW. Excellent change to make carry over from DoR that a certain other company seems adamant not to adopt.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

7 hours ago, Benice said:

ujcbWT6.png

Congrats!

7 hours ago, Benice said:

Help.

I hope everything works out well for you.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

Hahaha, yeah, too true. I wasn't committed enough to the evil. Weakness...

Anyway, yeah, Roland's compromise seems successful and that appears to be what the game shows. But we know what the cost was, and seeing all the people (and our "heroes") ignoring or even downplaying it is pretty disgusting. Besides, the way they just kept repeating Idore's nonsense, they felt like brainwashed machines. No freedom, free will or true happiness to be found here, only the false comfort of the Teachings. An empty existence of servitude to a fake deity, under threat of enslavement. And how long till Idore feels like a group is becoming troublesome and creates a different scapegoat? Maybe the Aesfrosti turn out to be distant relatives of the Roselle or something. He has absolute power, he can do whatever he feels like.

All in all, it's a super crappy situation and I simply couldn't see any part of it as "good". The Roselle are thoroughly screwed, everyone else is a brainwashed cog in Idore's machine, up to and including Serenoa and Roland... Really, the only one who is truly happy and free in this ending is Idore. And that's just not right.

...but then, perhaps this is just my interpretation of it, combined with my feelings on churches as institutions in general. Religion has sadly been greatly misused over human history by corrupt dickheads, and it is well reflected in the Hyzante ending.

Spoiler

I mean it’s true that we know the consequences of Roland’s comprise but that doesn’t change the fact that seeing the full consequences of our actions would’ve been more impactful. I mean they had the ability to write about bald Frederica, could we not have instead got a scene with her? We knew what the Roselle’s life was already like, but Hyzante is now directly supplying salt to a lot more people. Is the strain on the Rosellas worse? Better because they have salt from other sources? We don’t know, because we don’t get to see it. Does Idore oppress another group like you wondered? Who knows.

But it could be part of my expectations, coming off of Benedict’s ending where you get to see Roland (which I was not expecting), I had assumed the game was going to do something like that for all three of these endings. The effect of the ending is still there, it just feels lessened by the fact that all we see is the fake happiness and nothing else, even if we already know about it.

But well, the good comes from the fact that people (other than the Rosele, obviously) supposedly don’t have to deal with massive inequality and have cheaper and more reliable access to salt. This also comes at the price of the religious teachings which dictate this order of things being false and used by Idore to cling to absolute power, but in the face of happiness for everyone who can accept lives with no freedom and false religion, does it matter? I mean maybe you think truth and freedom are more important than false happiness and equality for ALMOST everyone, but that’s the argument this ending makes.

And hey man, I get it. I’m an atheist, maybe that’s why I’m not deeply shaken by the idea of a false religion, heh. But yeah, in a real world sense, bowing to a corrupt church sucks.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You better have recorded it.

I mean, I didn’t know it was going to happen.

4 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

wZjNgF1.jpg

Oh yeah I'm also playing AC 2 and decided to take this scenic photo. Ain't it just grand?

How are you enjoying that game? I played back when it was new, and I kinda wonder if it holds up.

4 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

e4mDCs0.jpg

Huh?

It is kinda nonsense when game pretend swimsuits would have better defensive stats than their normal attire...it is also kinda cruel that they point out that she pads her bras.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Help.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good luck at college, it really is a different experience

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, shit. Color me surprised. Under the circumstances, and being GBA games with debatably worse visuals at a full 60 bucks, I sincerely expected this to flop miserably.

...also I did not know the remake fixed FoW. Excellent change to make carry over from DoR that a certain other company seems adamant not to adopt.

The same honestly. I have a soft spot for the series, and its nice to see it survive what looked like a doomed fate for the series.

Also what do you mean about FoW, I thought the series always handled it well with enemies not cheating and all?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Nintendo games rarely flop tbh. Like I think the last legitimate Nintendo flop was Chibi-Robo: Ziplash. Which actually killed the series.

10 hours ago, Benice said:

ujcbWT6.png

Help.

Congrats!

Party Hard Anime GIF - Party Hard Anime Party - Discover & Share GIFs

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Me right now:

🤩

...Though I've heard Re-Boot has abolished the CO Power tunes in favor of remixes of each character's theme. A little mixed on that.

I've also heard that a few name changes happened. Drake's "Tsunami" became "Squall", I'm guessing because of that 2011 Japanese earthquake that was followed by a tsunami and nuclear meltdown disaster. I know Dragon Quest VII's DS version tweaked a skill's name/appearance because of this -although it has been a decade and Re-Boot stands a very good chance of not releasing in Japan at all.

The other name change I heard is Yellow Comet becoming Gold Comet. 'Comet represents Japan, "yellow" can be old racist for "person of Asian descent", and I'm aware that due to its Chinese origins, COVID-19 did cause an uptick in anti-Asian hate in the US. So I can see why they would tweak this.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I was not aware of this. I take it you mean the "move and reveal everything within the version range of the path you moved for the rest of your current phase". Good.

Although, this would only be about half of the DoR FoW fix.

• We still don't have Flares, although in the absence of Ruins terrain and assuming properties still don't provide hiding places as they do in DoR, Flares aren't as needed.

And the other...

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Also what do you mean about FoW, I thought the series always handled it well with enemies not cheating and all?

For Advance Wars, I think you can break down the AI and Fog of War into three stages.

• IIRC, AW1 and Black Hole Rising had the enemy cheat 100%, they saw everything all the time, with the exception of land units hiding in forests and naval in reefs, and maybe submerged submarines -maybe. (I have no idea if Re-Boot Camp has progressed beyond this.)
  • Dual Strike I've heard described as a semi-fixed AI. They still know where you are, but will not attack anything not in their current vision ranges. 
  • For Days of Ruin, from plentiful play, I think I can safely say the AI is as in the dark as the player. I've had fun taking advantage of the AI in the fog, they sure don't act like they know where I am.

So, things have improved from FoW being purely an enemy advantage, to equal grounds that can actually be kinda fun.

Fire Emblem... I think it's still stuck in the GBA era, as Ruben was alluding to. Despite FoW being all the worse in FE since you can't crank out another Swordmaster like a Tank.

Oh, it appears the place where I got my Nintendo PC copy of Engage has vanished. Replacing it is a megathread containing links to other sites that don't even seem to work.

Well, I suppose that's one venue for the future closed. I really don't feel like scourging the web and getting a virus so I can play Super Luigi Odyssey. Or worse, dump my own copy of the game. Fuck that.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Hide contents

I mean it’s true that we know the consequences of Roland’s comprise but that doesn’t change the fact that seeing the full consequences of our actions would’ve been more impactful. I mean they had the ability to write about bald Frederica, could we not have instead got a scene with her? We knew what the Roselle’s life was already like, but Hyzante is now directly supplying salt to a lot more people. Is the strain on the Rosellas worse? Better because they have salt from other sources? We don’t know, because we don’t get to see it. Does Idore oppress another group like you wondered? Who knows.

But it could be part of my expectations, coming off of Benedict’s ending where you get to see Roland (which I was not expecting), I had assumed the game was going to do something like that for all three of these endings. The effect of the ending is still there, it just feels lessened by the fact that all we see is the fake happiness and nothing else, even if we already know about it.

But well, the good comes from the fact that people (other than the Rosele, obviously) supposedly don’t have to deal with massive inequality and have cheaper and more reliable access to salt. This also comes at the price of the religious teachings which dictate this order of things being false and used by Idore to cling to absolute power, but in the face of happiness for everyone who can accept lives with no freedom and false religion, does it matter? I mean maybe you think truth and freedom are more important than false happiness and equality for ALMOST everyone, but that’s the argument this ending makes.

And hey man, I get it. I’m an atheist, maybe that’s why I’m not deeply shaken by the idea of a false religion, heh. But yeah, in a real world sense, bowing to a corrupt church sucks.

Spoiler

I suppose perhaps I'm just projecting my own inability to see it as a fair trade-off into the game. I wanted to punch Roland's shit-eating face every time he prattled on about fighting for "everyone." No, you shithead, not "everyone", you don't get to speak for "everyone."

It really is weird that Frederica only gets mentioned, though. You see Roland in Ben's, and I know you see Ben in Freddie's ending as well, so this just seems kinda weird. Though I guess they had to cushion the blow a bit so this doesn't feel as unbalanced of an ending lol

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I mean, I didn’t know it was going to happen.

Yeah, but if playing on the Switch you could've done the thing to hold down the screenshot button to record the last 30 seconds, right?

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

The Last Promise original! lmao

Hide contents

aeb5a275f734e6bc4c240adeb087b4f2.gif

D I V I N E

L

I

G

H

T

N

I

N

G

The same honestly. I have a soft spot for the series, and its nice to see it survive what looked like a doomed fate for the series.

Too early to party, but it's looking better than it ever has before, at least.

...Personally, I never could get into the series, but I wish the fans of it the best of luck.

I sorta get the feel that you were being sarcastic there, but in case you werent - no, until Days of Ruin, the AI blatantly cheated in FoW. A certain video comes to mind...

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Nintendo games rarely flop tbh. Like I think the last legitimate Nintendo flop was Chibi-Robo: Ziplash. Which actually killed the series.

I guess if someone would be willing to eat up a debatably ugly remake of two GBA games at a full 60 bucks, it's Nintendo fans

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...Though I've heard Re-Boot has abolished the CO Power tunes in favor of remixes of each character's theme. A little mixed on that.

That is correct.

I was not aware of this. I take it you mean the "move and reveal everything within the version range of the path you moved for the rest of your current phase". Good.

Oh no, it means the AI doesn't cheat anymore. They can't see you in FoW either.

For Advance Wars, I think you can break down the AI and Fog of War into three stages.

• IIRC, AW1 and Black Hole Rising had the enemy cheat 100%, they saw everything all the time, with the exception of land units hiding in forests and naval in reefs, and maybe submerged submarines -maybe. (I have no idea if Re-Boot Camp has progressed beyond this.)
  • Dual Strike I've heard described as a semi-fixed AI. They still know where you are, but will not attack anything not in their current vision ranges. 
  • For Days of Ruin, from plentiful play, I think I can safely say the AI is as in the dark as the player. I've had fun taking advantage of the AI in the fog, they sure don't act like they know where I am.

So, things have improved from FoW being purely an enemy advantage, to equal grounds that can actually be kinda fun.

Fire Emblem... I think it's still stuck in the GBA era, as Ruben was alluding to. Despite FoW being all the worse in FE since you can't crank out another Swordmaster like a Tank.

Yes, pretty much this. As far as I've heard, Re-Boot Camp has DoR fog.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

guess if someone would be willing to eat up a debatably ugly remake of two GBA games at a full 60 bucks, it's Nintendo fans

But also Advance Wars fans been starving for like more than a decade now.