Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I would go full Sombron if my ISP decides to pull that bullshit

I think I've heard that Canadians get kinda porked by our ISPs in terms of cost and service, but I'm not certain of that.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Breath of the Wild is so damn good

Like many, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was the first Nintendo Switch game i owned. I got it on launch and i really liked it at the time. Now, after six years, with Tears of the Kingdom on horizon and every mainline Zelda game under my belt (excluding the Four Swords and DS games for reasons), I return to a game i haven't touched since I beat it. Does Breath of the Wild hold up? Is it truly as amazing as it is?

The answer was always going to be yes. There is no world in which I would've replayed this game and gone "yeah this isn't that good". It would've been incredibly delusional of me to even think of that. Breath of the Wild is a damn good game, a game i've come to appreciate more. It is both a great game and a great Zelda game.

For this replay, I decided to play the game without activating any of the Sheikah Towers. I explored the world using only landmarks and directions from NPCs, as well as just going off of memory. It 100% enhanced my experience with the game and the best part is that this game is that the game is designed around that. In fact, the game is designed around you doing anything you want. This is common knowledge but i wasn't aware of just how far the game went to achieve that. It truly made me appreciate this open-world Hyrule. Exploring it without a map felt fresh and in doing so, I discovered far more shrines than i did on my main file.

Speaking of the Shrines, it's definitely a quantity vs quality situation. On one end of the spectrum, there are incredibly well designed Shrines, whether the puzzles are inside the Shrine itself or outside of it. On the other hand, there are literal braindead puzzles and the combat trials (at least the latter is nice for a somewhat steady supply of Guardian weapons). And then there's the Divine Beasts. Fans of traditional Zelda hate them. They're too short, they all look the same and the enemy variety is non-existent. And to an extent, i agree, mainly with the latter too points. However, mechanically speaking, the Divine Beasts go hard. I love the idea of manipulating parts of, or the entire dungeon, to solve puzzles. Are they short? Well yes, by design. They couldn't be overly long because they're designed to be cleared however you want. But the length should not determine the quality, at least that much. Skyward Sword you could have banger dungeons that are relatively short. And like Skyward Sword, the Divine Beasts are more mechanically focused than just being a place to solve puzzles in.....ok maybe that doesn't make too much sense but i write these off the top of my head. You know what i mean. Could the Divine Beasts been more varied in terms of design? Sure. Same applies to the Shrines. But the good outweighs the bad here in my opinion.

Combat is good. There's a lot of things you can do. Durability is good, at no point did i ever feel like i was running out of weapons. At no point did i ever break the Master Sword either because i only used it when it counts. However, what does suck is the item management. Inherently, there's nothing wrong with the Korok Seeds, the currency used to expand your weapon slots. The problem is that you can only expand them at a rate of one at a time and yet the cost to do so only increases. It's like inflation and minimum wage in the United States. I never found myself running out of weapons but i did find myself sometimes having to choose which weapon to keep and which one to let go. But eh, at least they respawn.

The story is arguably the most mixed aspect of the game. Telling the story mostly thorough flashbacks about events that have already happened is not as satisfying. However, for the context of this game, it works. It's a post-apocalyptic Hyrule, it makes sense. And for what it's worth, they do reveal that this game's incarnation of Zelda ranks among the best. For the first time, Zelda actually struggles with something. The thing with Zelda is either she's a damsel in distress or she has an actual role in the story but is never really challenged. Even in Spirit Tracks, where she literally dies, she's somehow more useful dead than alive. And with so many stories about Zelda having the blessed power, a story where Zelda hates herself because she seemingly can't access that power is very interesting. On that same token, Ganon just giving up on reincarnation and assuming a form of pure malice is also a very good idea. The potential is squandered a little bit because all that already happened in the past in-game but i can't deny the good stuff. And hey, the story bits that take place in the present aren't that bad either. I am very curious to see how Tears of the Kingdom follows up on that.

Breath of the Wild is a fantastic game. A game that redefines Zelda in a new way while still keeping what makes Zelda "Zelda". Zelda was never about the "traditional dungeon structure", it was about the journey, the adventure. The feeling of discovery. This is what made Zelda 1 so great. This is what made most of the other Zeldas great. And this is what made Breath of the Wild so great.

9/10

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Ayy Majora’s Mask in S!

Always has been.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

HoySngC.png

I've heard Horizons is more of a "an anime set in the Pokemon world" as opposed to being "an anime about Pokemon".

31 minutes ago, Benice said:

I thought that said "Link's Awakening NSFW" and I was afraid.

The Link/Marin sex scene was a bold addition ngl.

39 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

And some people just like to revel in despair

5c6.jpg

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fumj7N_acAAY-iA?format=jpg&name=large

Alright guys, it's time.

Lucky

It's 3 am here and i am trying (and failing as usual) to sleep. Will play tomorrow after work. Maybe.

Enjoy 😄

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

I think I've heard that Canadians get kinda porked by our ISPs in terms of cost and service, but I'm not certain of that.

Other Canadians i know tell me horror stories of your internet as well

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I've heard Horizons is more of a "an anime set in the Pokemon world" as opposed to being "an anime about Pokemon".

From the clips i watched seems that way. Also Riko seems fun lol

Dunno if i watch it (probably not) but the clips i've seen is the closest i have been to watching Pokemon in like 17 years.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The Link/Marin sex scene was a bold addition ngl.

6zauZ1I.png

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Other Canadians i know tell me horror stories of your internet as well

Fortunately for me, I am still not an adult and don't have to deal with that stuff!

45 minutes ago, Benice said:

New Teehee lore: Acacia is in fact the Elder God of Serenes Forest and created everyone on the forums.

Well, I mean, there are those older still. I may have joined in the ancient times that are pre-2010, but still...

52 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

The film also has a different ending. But what does SRW Z do with the series? Does the story just continue from there or do they manage to stop Earth from being destroyed?

I think it's actually possible to trigger that ending, but it's naturally a Game Over inducing Bad Ending.

Suffice to say, SRW being SRW, of course Earth isn't destroyed. Z1 has the Baldios story avoid that fate (except for the above tidbit, but it's not canon). Which reminds me, it was among the cast culling in Z3. Then again, most of the Z1 entries never returned beyond Z2.

I'm not going to play Future Redeemed just yet, I'll get to it... sooner or later.

Also today is my seventh Serenesversary, woohoo.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Take this in the meantime

I can't believe one of the best reviewed games ever is the third worst Zelda game.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

1984 + 2 = 1986 ya dolt

But that would mean 1984 itself is 1984 0. Therefore the first 1984, 1984 1, should be called 1985. Or would 1984 2 be 3968?

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Do the 100% evade build for Lloyd.

I did, I'm having trouble imagining what Hard mode would be like without it... I think most of the bosses have attacks that can one shot the entire party at this point.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Hey wait, did you read the Triangle Strategy spoilers? How could you do this to yourself? Unless you played it

No, that's just what I inferred from what you wrote.

1 hour ago, Newtype06 said:

It's the longest final dungeon of the series. Prepare yourself for battles and exposition.

At least I can look forward to future final dungeons not being quite as long. More exposition is good though; I don't need sleep, I need answers.

Edited by Lightchao42

Man, I got reminded this year will be 14 years of being in Serenes.

Two more and then it'd mean I've been here for half my life.

Well, Aria time!

Oh, found Blutgang too. Well, Burtgang... Aria actually has quite a few typos and mistranslations, huh...

Okay, done exploring here, now for the Underground Reservoir.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

...And now I'm done with Super Robot Wars J. From the 5th to the last hours of the 25th, a good 21 days of play with only a few break days. Feels so long ago.

The penultimate battle reminded me of the Inspectors' last stand in OG2, which I'm pretty sure was intended to partly copy AP's penultimate, does SRW like long indoor corridors for near-conclusions? The time limit in that fight wasn't a problem, I finished it with four turns left.

As for the last battle, phase one of the final boss I didn't use a drop of SP against, the second phase- it lost its Orgone Cloud? That made it seriously easier as I could Dragon Fire its damage output away without concern of it getting negated b/c too weak, and I had no worries of an annoying Afterimage activation and with it being XL-sized with near-zero Mobility I didn't need Strike, no HP Regen or any size either. It being immobile meant I didn't have to worry about it combo attacking me, and it refused to use its map whenever one of the infinite reinforcements showed up. I barely needed to use SP whatsoever. All in all, a very easy finale. After A Portable's nightmarish end, I was afraid J was going to be the same and dragged my heels on finishing the game -it was farthest thing from it.

Oh, and the final battle ally reinforcement was okay. Where have they been all time? Only 4000 attack on its strongest was bad, but 50000 HP sorta compensated a wee bit for that, I gave them the final blow on the final boss, but they left it with like 628 HP left, so Calvina support attacked in the actual final hit, befitting. Ending was much shorter than AP's, but it was fine.

As I love Super Robot Wars, it needn't be said that this was enjoyable. Probably too many enemy reinforcements though. Three waves becoming the norm per battle got to be too many. In the end, I like 220 kills on Calvina, about 120 on Koji as well, and Masato amazingly climbed the lategame ranks to perhaps 160 kills.

An irrational fragment of my brain wants to start on a Toya-Granteed second playthrough right away and see the route selections I didn't pick. But, I need to seriously need to give myself a rest from SRW.😆

---

Now, what to play next? I should go from mecha game to game with mechs and resume Xenosaga at last. ...Though I also want to get back to Rune Factory 5, I did not intend to leave it hanging this long either.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...And now I'm done with Super Robot Wars J. From the 5th to the last hours of the 25th, a good 21 days of play with only a few break days. Feels so long ago.

The penultimate battle reminded me of the Inspectors' last stand in OG2, which I'm pretty sure was intended to partly copy AP's penultimate, does SRW like long indoor corridors for near-conclusions? The time limit in that fight wasn't a problem, I finished it with four turns left.

As for the last battle, phase one of the final boss I didn't use a drop of SP against, the second phase- it lost its Orgone Cloud? That made it seriously easier as I could Dragon Fire its damage output away without concern of it getting negated b/c too weak, and I had no worries of an annoying Afterimage activation and with it being XL-sized with near-zero Mobility I didn't need Strike, no HP Regen or any size either. It being immobile meant I didn't have to worry about it combo attacking me, and it refused to use its map whenever one of the infinite reinforcements showed up. I barely needed to use SP whatsoever. All in all, a very easy finale. After A Portable's nightmarish end, I was afraid J was going to be the same and dragged my heels on finishing the game -it was farthest thing from it.

Oh, and the final battle ally reinforcement was okay. Where have they been all time? Only 4000 attack on its strongest was bad, but 50000 HP sorta compensated a wee bit for that, I gave them the final blow on the final boss, but they left it with like 628 HP left, so Calvina support attacked in the actual final hit, befitting. Ending was much shorter than AP's, but it was fine.

As I love Super Robot Wars, it needn't be said that this was enjoyable. Probably too many enemy reinforcements though. Three waves becoming the norm per battle got to be too many. In the end, I like 220 kills on Calvina, about 120 on Koji as well, and Masato amazingly climbed the lategame ranks to perhaps 160 kills.

An irrational fragment of my brain wants to start on a Toya-Granteed second playthrough right away and see the route selections I didn't pick. But, I need to seriously need to give myself a rest from SRW.😆

Congrats on finishing!

Say, you saw Gu-Landon's more-than-a-minute-long attack? XD

Hey, at least Al-Van fulfills his Gotoh role decent enough, heh.

Speaking of, once you do play with Touya... well, perhaps you've already looked up the game keeps track of how many times you had the girls deploy...

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Now, what to play next? I should go from mecha game to game with mechs and resume Xenosaga at last. ...Though I also want to get back to Rune Factory 5, I did not intend to leave it hanging this long either.

Hmm, I'd say... hmm...

Future Redeemed

FunLx62WcAIgRUR?format=png&name=900x900

this really is a treat for everyone who's played through the trilogy.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

can't believe one of the best reviewed games ever is the third worst Zelda game.

Ocarina of Keys.

Okay, this area is quite big. Or feels big due to being slowed down in the water. Stopping for now, will continue exploring next time.

While Toya's themes are still verboten until my second run of J, after writing the above post, I immediately got to this.:

😁

I love this! Wonderful remix! Wouldn't be half as good if I didn't experience the context. -But how dare they leave Orgone Brachium Finish out of the Coustwell Brachium's attack list! The pinkish punchy kicky afterimages and punching drones flurry was too awesome, so why did they forget it? The Brachium's design grew on me, the extra armor perfectly enhanced the skinny base frame.

Calvina is good and all as I'd say. Not incredible, but I like her. They went with the strong & cool direction, certainly not the same as Lamia though, nor Leona (although, she isn't ever a central protagonist in OG which is the only place I've seen her). Can pretty emotional though actually, which is perfectly fine. "Serious" might be the better word for her, whether chill or blazing, she stays deadly serious about her state of being. The love aspect of was fine, I don't think it undermined her strength.

36 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Say, you saw Gu-Landon's more-than-a-minute-long attack? XD

I might've missed it actually!😆 I must've forgot to leave the animations on when someone using Wall attacked him, and Alert users miss out on it the whole shebang. 

The initial portion with the Raftclans illusions firing Orgone Rifles made me think of it as a long-range version of the Zweizergain's ultimate, and the OGs & beyond version of Howling Rifle E. -The part of the attack that plays if it hits... makes absolutely no sense and looks utterly cataclysmic -sooooo basically the norm for an SRW final boss.😆

I'm Ruben wouldn't 100% hate the Gu-Landon, always angry and complaining about eradicating misbegotten seeds.

Hey, at least Al-Van fulfills his Gotoh role decent enough, heh.

I'm just don't understand where he had been in all the time since his final fight with the protagonist.

Character-wise, honorable sorrowful knight yadayada, if he rode a horse and grabbed a lance and he'd totally fit in Fire Emblem. He was not bad though (Fu-Lu Mu-Lu was decent too). Al-Van is in the top percentile for Banpresto Originals who would appear in a Super RobOtome if such a thing existed. 

And, Orgone Sword F Mode is great 🤩. Good choice, if i'd have liked another 500 power on it Al-Van.

Speaking of, once you do play with Touya... well, perhaps you've already looked up the game keeps track of how many times you had the girls deploy...

I have.

The sub-pilot girls were weak characters to me, I couldn't really tell their personalities apart. So my decisions about who to use will be based purely on gameplay.

I think I'll stick with Melua next time b/c +1 Move and +200 Armor right to benefit the Granteed the most early on. Later on, when I know I'm track to accumulate enough deployments to unlock the upgraded mech's finisher right away, I wouldn't hesitate to swap to Festina again if I feel like could use Strike and Toya's spirit list doesn't have it. Tenia would have to wait a looooong time for a third playthrough for her chance as the primary sub.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I might've missed it actually!😆 I must've forgot to leave the animations on when someone using Wall attacked him, and Alert users miss out on it the whole shebang. 

The initial portion with the Raftclans illusions firing Orgone Rifles made me think of it as a long-range version of the Zweizergain's ultimate, and the OGs & beyond version of Howling Rifle E. -The part of the attack that plays if it hits... makes absolutely no sense and looks utterly cataclysmic -sooooo basically the norm for an SRW final boss.😆

I'm Ruben wouldn't 100% hate the Gu-Landon, always angry and complaining about eradicating misbegotten seeds.

Here's a video with it, just in case, haha.

Pity he couldn't handle SRW.

I'm just don't understand where he had been in all the time since his final fight with the protagonist.

Character-wise, honorable sorrowful knight yadayada, if he rode a horse and grabbed a lance and he'd totally fit in Fire Emblem. He was not bad though (Fu-Lu Mu-Lu was decent too). Al-Van is in the top percentile for Banpresto Originals who would appear in a Super RobOtome if such a thing existed. 

And, Orgone Sword F Mode is great 🤩. Good choice, if i'd have liked another 500 power on it Al-Van.

Well, that is the theme of the Fury, heh. The whole knighthood thing.

I have.

The sub-pilot girls were weak characters to me, I couldn't really tell their personalities apart. So my decisions about who to use will be based purely on gameplay.

I think I'll stick with Melua next time b/c +1 Move and +200 Armor right to benefit the Granteed the most early on. Later on, when I know I'm track to accumulate enough deployments to unlock the upgraded mech's finisher right away, I wouldn't hesitate to swap to Festina again if I feel like could use Strike and Toya's spirit list doesn't have it. Tenia would have to wait a looooong time for a third playthrough for her chance as the primary sub.

Touya does have Strike, as part of his Super Robot kit. So he'll have it if you plan to use Granteed anyway.

Gameplay-wise, the girls are tailored to one of the three starting mechs, and Melua is Granteed's, as it were.

For the finisher I think it's 20 stages, but if you want each girl's specific ending, I think the threshold is 25-ish. Basically, so long they're the one you deployed for more than half the game. With 52 stages, being a multiple of 3 plus 1, you will have someone deployed more than the other two no matter what. This is in contrast with Calvina, who by missing out on her Chapter 1, can have all three with equal deployements. But then, she only has the one ending. But just being the one you deployed the most isn't enough. That said, you do get a fourth ending that way.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

yeah that was a fucking problem and i basically had to evasion tank my way through until i reached her.

Thankfully the rest of the maps don't have any such bs. 

That is heartening to hear, at least.

5 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Read Brave New World

That's the other very famous dystopian book, right? I've not read that one.

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Fixed it for you

Oh, c'mon.

4 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

But that would mean 1984 itself is 1984 0. Therefore the first 1984, 1984 1, should be called 1985. Or would 1984 2 be 3968?

No, obviously 1984 is just 1984 and 1984 2 is 1984². Thus, 1984 and its sequel, 3936256.

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Hi

*high fives*

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Sauce?

It's not anime. I, uh, don't think you would like it...

6 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Short review of Assassin's Creed 2 if you're in to that

It's just one of the reasons why Black Flag is so good: Edward is Ezio but better.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Suffice to say, SRW being SRW, of course Earth isn't destroyed. Z1 has the Baldios story avoid that fate (except for the above tidbit, but it's not canon). Which reminds me, it was among the cast culling in Z3. Then again, most of the Z1 entries never returned beyond Z2.

Is this one of the reasons why Z3 is not considered as good as the other Zs (from what I've seen, at least)?

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The game keeps track?

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I have.

Tenia best

I just wanted to say that

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's the other very famous dystopian book, right? I've not read that one.

Yep

https://biblioklept.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/huxley-orwell-amusing-ourselves-to-death.jpg

I guess I am a bit late actually responding to people after my big Pokemon post before...

16 hours ago, ping said:

9BLa0YA.png

[Mega Punch | Sing | Pound | Defense Curl] - waiting for Body Slam at Lv.34 to evolve.

Oof, poor Jigglypuff having to suffer that long without evolving.

16 hours ago, ping said:

bQOpl9o.png

[Peck | Growl | Leer | Fury Attack] - all the birds have really sad movepools...

Eh, Toriyama will learn Drill Peck before long, and Fly isn't that much worse than it, although Dodrio has the best movepool of the three Four (forgot about Farfetch'd for a second) with access to both Drill Peck and TriAttack for good STAB moves. The Pidgey line is the one that really has the bad movepool, as at least Spearow/Fearow already has a flying type move already in Peck, and they never get the best Flying move in Drill Peck...

Just out of curiosity, is this the Team, or do you plan on picking up some other Normal types?

15 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, I lost again.

How long have I been stuck on this map now, four days? Yeah, fun times.

Oof...Good luck finding a way through this hellish map.

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

I think part of a big reason for my distaste in dystopian fiction is (and maybe this has to do with what I was exposed to) but....it seems these are stories where nothing resolved itself. As in, practically every one of these stories that i've seem ends with like "and so the protagonist was an utter fool to think he could change the way things are". So like what's the point? Like even the fucked up world of Berserk has a message about hope. Dystopian fiction can't even do that.

It was a trend after the use of the nuclear bomb to make dystopian fiction something that must be avoided, rather than can be repaired once you've reached it. Although 1984 has a subtle hint that the darkness of its dystopia isn't endless, in that the textual notes are framed like a historian looking back on some past failing of humanity...

12 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

ej2knp8840wa1.png
5njq9r8840wa1.png
qih8bp8840wa1.png
hblzfq8840wa1.png

That is a funny reversal of expectations. I am curious if this is just a one of gag, or if they try to actually expand upon this idea.

7 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

There are some absurd timeskips which are just really funny, my favorite of which being near the end of the game where it skips a whole fucking ten years just to account for the fact that a certain target of his in Florence was in power for that long in real life.

I seem to remember that jarring timejump as the bait for a bunch of DLC that was supposed to take place in those missing years, but overall I think you are right, Ezio's story has no real sense of time to it. Also its funny how you completely ignore the narrative device of the future guy that is reliving Ezio's memories, which is theoretically the overarching narrative of the series at that point.

8 hours ago, Benice said:

I forgot that I watch Youtube videos at 240p so you'll just have to deal with the horrible resolution

Oof, sounds painful Benice. Hopefully at college your internet will be less shackled.

32 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That is a funny reversal of expectations. I am curious if this is just a one of gag, or if they try to actually expand upon this idea.

The artist just does one shots like that with funny expectation reversal afaik

Oh hey, apparently Yuzu has been updated to run games faster. Mentions Super Luigi Odyssey specifically, which is mighty convenient. Hope it works with Engage too, it runs very well but it'd be nice if this improved things on my other computer.

...however, this is only the Early Access version. Which requires a Patreon subscription, so I guess I will have to wait. Yeah, for sure.

Spoiler

You can very easily pirate that too

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oof...Good luck finding a way through this hellish map.

I gotta do it for Saphir man.

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oof, poor Jigglypuff having to suffer that long without evolving.

Yeah, he isn't doing nearly as well as the other three. :lol: Jigglypuff's non-HP stats really are terrible. But I want to play without MissingNo, so Yoomtah learning Body Slam naturally is quite nice.

(I actually forgot that Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff have garbage SPECIAL in Gen1. In my head, they had their decent Sp.Atk from the following generations and GSC gave them their bad Sp.Def, but it's the other way around)

Eh, Toriyama will learn Drill Peck before long, and Fly isn't that much worse than it, although Dodrio has the best movepool of the three Four (forgot about Farfetch'd for a second) with access to both Drill Peck and TriAttack for good STAB moves. The Pidgey line is the one that really has the bad movepool, as at least Spearow/Fearow already has a flying type move already in Peck, and they never get the best Flying move in Drill Peck...

I was thinking in terms of coverage moves. Having terrible coverage is the standard in Gen1, of course, but Normal types that aren't birds are one of the biggest exceptions to the rule, which makes Toriyama still stand out in this particular run. Even Sagan/Raticate has BubbleBeam to blast all those pesky Rock/Ground types with. That said, Flying/Normal has perfect neutral coverage otherwise, so it's not at all crippling.

Just out of curiosity, is this the Team, or do you plan on picking up some other Normal types?

I'll get one of the Snorlax for my Surfing needs and those are high-level enough to be useful in a fight, if only to buy two turns instead of one for me to use some items. Other than that, this is the team. Keeping the ol' pre-Cerulean scrubs around is part of the charm for me, instead of replacing Toriyama with a Dodrio, or having Tauros (or even Kangaskhan) roflstomp the entire second half of the game. I was considering Meowth, which is technically still pre-Cerulean, but I already used one in my previous randomised run.