Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

You did get actual maps, which is actual content.

But ehhh, maybe $20 would've been better. 

So not really enough to say it's worth it?

That's fine, as long as i have my playable Lucina mod (and Eirika somewhat) i don't really mind either way. XD

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There's actually more to this story that I think simply painting it as "hacker got his life destroyed" just strips it of the legal nuance.

Like I think that punishment was too far but the guys Nintendo went up against weren't some guys in their basement, it was like an actual (digital) piracy ring. Like the Feds were involved in this, this wasn't just a simple copyright infringement case or whatever.

Oh. Well, that's my mistake. I guess I fell for the headlines. I just heard that a hacker was effectively condemned to lifelong destitution for cracking open what's effectively expensive toys and though "yeah that adds up, typical big corp"

Maybe I'll watch the video later, see what's what.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Emulators are 100% legal, the intention is that you play games you own on it. As in you buy the games yourself and then extract the code or whatever. This is why every emulator tells you to do that. It's why Dolphin can go on Steam officially.

But of course most people don't give a shit. They'll just visit rom sites and whatnot. I do too, because I'm not tech-savvy enough to extract the code.

Yeah, I know all of that. But when you know that Nintendo wouldn't hesitate to have you and your entire family executed if they could get away with it, well, I cannot blame them for being scared.

And yeah, if we are being honest, "you must extract your own game code" is just the obligatory ass-covering statement. In truth, why waste an hour doing something someone else did already? Might as well just grab the files they put up.

I mean, the game's that i have modded are usually ones that i own, why can't i do what i want with my property?

Edited by Lightcosmo

And as for Steam: well when you have the game files literally sitting on the computer, the devs should expect them to be modded:

7f0d165ff49c66fa86481bcd70187d2e.png

See: Trails of Cold Steel files.

Yeah modding never hurt no one, and the companies aren't nearly as hard on it as piracy, for obvious reasons. Plenty of companies even accomodate the modders. Even Ninty, the CEO of DMCA itself, tends to only go after fan projects that overlap with their own, like that fan remake of Metroid 2 or Mario Royale. But then look at FE, people straight up make new FEs hacking FE8 and they've never given half a shit.

43 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Even Ninty, the CEO of DMCA itself, tends to only go after fan projects that overlap with their own

Things like Project M for Brawl as well when that was big.

Shump doesn't seem like it'd be the first fit for Maz', but then who woulda thunk it'd be tied up in SRPGs?😆

Arcades Archives is overpriced for their releases of short single games from yesteryear, they really need to start bundling their prolific output to make these old games worth considering. Although in this case, they did have spend extra for the Z-Great-Gren licenses.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wario Land 4 is a masterpiece.

Do I disagree with you? No, I don't think I'll say that. It is an excellent game.😀

I never played Super Hard difficulty, but the game was fun. The levels were big, and thematically quite varied. I particularly love the retro pinball-themed level, but the Topaz Passage/toy ones were great too.

I have seen a playthrough of World as well. Those bosses are way too weird.

-You say this after praising WL4. Do you remember what Spoiled Rotten (the first boss) looks like? Wario Land 4 is some kind of prolonged acid trip.

With Wario, he is already not heroic whatsoever. The sore-nose giant head cloud boy, the baby angel doll, and the giant lizard lady are indeed very weird, but I kinda get how this could be the case. Wario isn't Mario, Mario has to be sanitized, Wario could be strange, and WL4 and World were the peak of this -before Wario's weirdness got stuck in WarioWare instead. Curse those manias of microgames for whatever role they may have played in the demise of Wario platformers, bring Wario Land back Ninty!

11 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

The days when that Miiverse social media service or something Nintendo offered would not allow you talk about Paper Mario in abbreviation, not speak of any time of day after noon. B/c they were too lazy or too paranoid to let anyone write "PM". -Or so I heard secondhand.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

So not really enough to say it's worth it?

It is one of the better FE DLCs at least.

Oh. Well, that's my mistake. I guess I fell for the headlines

Yeah it's very easy to just write a "fuck Nintendo" headline, especially given Nintendo's history with piracy.

Yeah modding never hurt no one, and the companies aren't nearly as hard on it as piracy, for obvious reasons. Plenty of companies even accomodate the modders. Even Ninty, the CEO of DMCA itself, tends to only go after fan projects that overlap with their own, like that fan remake of Metroid 2 or Mario Royale. But then look at FE, people straight up make new FEs hacking FE8 and they've never given half a shit.

Nintendo also went after a BotW multiplayer mod but in that case it was because the YouTuber commissioned it for $10,000.

Nintendo also went after Game Genie in the 80s (the video I linked talked about it) but the courts shut them down, saying that all it does is alter the game temporarily.

40 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Overlap with Smash Ultimate's online, most likely.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Do I disagree with you? No, I don't think I'll say that. It is an excellent game.😀

An excelente game, you mean.

I never played Super Hard difficulty, but the game was fun. The levels were big, and thematically quite varied. I particularly love the retro pinball-themed level, but the Topaz Passage/toy ones were great too.

I beat it not long ago, but I don't think I knew of super hard. Hmm.

Personally, I quite loved the final level of the toy area where you had to play a whole minigame to get out lol

You say this after praising WL4. Do you remember what Spoiled Rotten (the first boss) looks like? Wario Land 4 is some kind of prolonged acid trip.

Well, I only stated the fact! Didn't say it was a bad thing, now did I?

With Wario, he is already not heroic whatsoever. The sore-nose giant head cloud boy, the baby angel doll, and the giant lizard lady are indeed very weird, but I kinda get how this could be the case. Wario isn't Mario, Mario has to be sanitized, Wario could be strange, and WL4 and World were the peak of this -before Wario's weirdness got stuck in WarioWare instead. Curse those manias of microgames for whatever role they may have played in the demise of Wario platformers, bring Wario Land back Ninty!

Wario Land feels like a natural progression from its mother series, Mario Land. Those two games were pretty weird on their own right. Not as much as Wario, but definitely outliers compared to the rest of Mario - and no wonder, they weren't even made by the same people!

Definitely agree they should bring it back. WarioWare has its place, but it shouldn't be the only Wario outlet.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah it's very easy to just write a "fuck Nintendo" headline, especially given Nintendo's history with piracy.

It just feels believable lol

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nintendo also went after a BotW multiplayer mod but in that case it was because the YouTuber commissioned it for $10,000.

Nintendo also went after Game Genie in the 80s (the video I linked talked about it) but the courts shut them down, saying that all it does is alter the game temporarily.

Yeah Nintendo hates it when you cut a profit from their property or overlap with their projects. But the dozens of full-blown FE games made by hacking prove they don't necessarily care all that much if they don't feel threatened by it.

The Game Genie thing's likely explained by the existence of guide books and magazines. If the kids have cheats, they won't buy Nintendo Power to find out how to win!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The Game Genie thing's likely explained by the existence of guide books and magazines. If the kids have cheats, they won't buy Nintendo Power to find out how to win!

Nah, it was because they felt it was infringing on their copyright in the game's code. But because Game Genie used it's own code and only as long as the game was on, it wasn't deemed infringing. It was considered a derivative.

Or something like that, idk, the video goes into more detail.

36 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The days when that Miiverse social media service or something Nintendo offered would not allow you talk about Paper Mario in abbreviation, not speak of any time of day after noon. B/c they were too lazy or too paranoid to let anyone write "PM". -Or so I heard secondhand.

True!

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It is one of the better FE DLCs at least.

I see. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Overlap with Smash Ultimate's online, most likely.

PM was erased from existence during Tr4sh's era. Xd

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lindon does not know what lava is.

Actually, it's really weird. Half the army seems to have no idea what lava is, but the other half just... does. I mean, I'd believe that they don't know what lava is, there doesn't seem to be any volcanoes in the Elyos at all. Quite believable, going by the theory that Elyos is the size of a mid-sized municipality. Kagetsu does know, but he mentions there's a volcano in his homeland. But then, why does Rosado know what lava is?

Found it in a book at the academy?

Still, so weird Lindon wouldn't know. So much from being from the Kingdom of Knowledge...

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Emulators are 100% legal, the intention is that you play games you own on it. As in you buy the games yourself and then extract the code or whatever. This is why every emulator tells you to do that. It's why Dolphin can go on Steam officially.

But of course most people don't give a shit. They'll just visit rom sites and whatnot. I do too, because I'm not tech-savvy enough to extract the code.

At least doing that with PS2 discs ain't hard...

Or I just shove them into an external drive, now that most laptops nowadays don't have their own to put discs in.

37 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Shump doesn't seem like it'd be the first fit for Maz', but then who woulda thunk it'd be tied up in SRPGs?😆

Arcades Archives is overpriced for their releases of short single games from yesteryear, they really need to start bundling their prolific output to make these old games worth considering. Although in this case, they did have spend extra for the Z-Great-Gren licenses.

Well, nothing is impossible when mechas are involved!

Which reminds me that Grendizer is gonna get that open world game. Or it is already out? I forgot when it's its release date.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah Nintendo hates it when you cut a profit from their property or overlap with their projects. But the dozens of full-blown FE games made by hacking prove they don't necessarily care all that much if they don't feel threatened by it.

FE is just not mainstream yet.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I beat it not long ago, but I don't think I knew of super hard. Hmm.

S-Hard is unlocked if you beat the game on Hard difficulty. Jewel Piece and CD locations are altered I believe, probably enemy placement too, and ofc, less time to get out 🐸⏲️💣.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wario Land feels like a natural progression from its mother series, Mario Land. Those two games were pretty weird on their own right. Not as much as Wario, but definitely outliers compared to the rest of Mario - and no wonder, they weren't even made by the same people!

I've only played Mario Land 2 myself. Though it does feel different sure, I did like the offbeat level selection. Very charming might I say, if not at all difficult other than maybe bosses (I'm not big on difficulty anyhow).

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Which reminds me that Grendizer is gonna get that open world game. Or it is already out? I forgot when it's its release date.

Still in development. No exact release date yet for UFO Robot Grendizer: The Feast of the Wolves, it's a vague "Q4 2023" right now.

45 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

If there isn't a crossdressing option for Link in ToTK like in Breath of the Wild, than I'm not buying it

TotK: You get to surf or some shit and fuse your sword with rocks.

BotW: You get sexy Link.

Hardest dilemmas of all time.

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah, it was because they felt it was infringing on their copyright in the game's code. But because Game Genie used it's own code and only as long as the game was on, it wasn't deemed infringing. It was considered a derivative.

Or something like that, idk, the video goes into more detail.

Oh, I see.

35 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

PM was erased from existence during Tr4sh's era. Xd

Ah, sorry about that. Well, they might still have felt it would threaten Ultimate's sales when it came out. How long did it take for Ultimate to come out after PM's erasure? If not that, I can't really come up with anything else, but... well, to be fair, their treatment of Smash has been a bit different. Remember when they shut down a Melee tournament for using online mods? Now that, that was completely irrational. I cannot even begin to guess what they hoped to gain by doing that.

32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Found it in a book at the academy?

Still, so weird Lindon wouldn't know. So much from being from the Kingdom of Knowledge...

If Rosado knows because he read about it in a book, why doesn't Lindon? He states in his Jade support that he's read most books ever written lol. Though that might have been a joke. Then again, perhaps calling lava "red water" was a joke. It would be in-character, the man's a loon. He totally would pretend not to know what lava is so he can have an excuse to start firing thunder into it. For science!

32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

FE is just not mainstream yet.

Houses made it mainstream lol

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

S-Hard is unlocked if you beat the game on Hard difficulty. Jewel Piece and CD locations are altered I believe, probably enemy placement too, and ofc, less time to get out 🐸⏲️💣.

Just checked my file. Yeah, I do have S-Hard unlocked now. The run I did not so long ago (two years ago, as it turns out - this thread's kind of a convenient run archive lol) was on hard.

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've only played Mario Land 2 myself. Though it does feel different sure, I did like the offbeat level selection. Very charming might I say, if not at all difficult other than maybe bosses (I'm not big on difficulty anyhow).

Mario Land 2 is great. Not as renowned as other Mario games, but every bit as good, if you ask me. The physics can be a wee bit too floaty, but the level design is great and the creativity in the game makes it so much fun. And with the DX mod you can play as Loogi! Always important.

Ah, perfect. So before going back home, I put my files in a hard-drive that I took with me. I am 120% certain the Engage saves were there. I copied them into a folder inside the hard-drive, then I double-checked to make sure I had copied the right saves. Remember them clear as if I was seeing them... which I'm not, because the save folder's just not where I put it. I also copied a few other things that are here, but the Engage saves aren't.

Awesome. And I just so happen to have free days this weekend, so I'm not even going back tomorrow. Can't play more Engage until Tuesday afternoon. That's gonna be a fun 72~ hours to fill with something that doesn't require too much commitment, because then I'll have to drop that instead. How the fuck did I even do this?

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, sorry about that. Well, they might still have felt it would threaten Ultimate's sales when it came out. How long did it take for Ultimate to come out after PM's erasure?

PM was was killed a while before Ultimate's release. 

It was more popular than Trash, no doubt about it.

36 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, time to venture into Satorl Marsh.

Hopefully you can actually see where yer going there.

Also, wonder what Pokemon got unanimously banned in a suspect test?

It's time

Wish me luck

On 5/12/2023 at 1:17 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

One of these days I gotta give the rebalance mod another whirl. From what I recall I enjoyed what I played more than vanilla Awakening, but the mod went a wee bit overboard with the difficulty and I ended up dropping it. I know the creator worked on it a bit more afterwards, I wonder how much it changed.

Can I offer you a mod in question?

https://gamebanana.com/mods/420332

I played this mod a bit with the rebalance mod, and while making the pair up more like Fates makes the game a bit easier, it also made it more fun (for me) because I got to play around with the dual strikes a bit

30 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hm? There's no visibility issue at all.

They might be referring to the Wii version where at times it could be difficult to see where you were going.