Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

MNQP4SfI_o.gif

Look, you can hate on FE6 for a variety of reasons, but even you - yes, you, the biggest FE6 hater - have to admit that taking the memiest units in the game and giving them a triangle attack was the funniest idea.

Like, Bors and Barthe I get, they are both decently experienced and fought together for some time. But Gwen was canonically knighted a single day before chapter 8! How the fuck does she know how to do this? She's never even fought with Bors! I love it, it's great.

That settles it, I'm using all three of these stooges. This will be the first time I ever exploit a triangle attack to its fullest potential.

Maybe it's standard practice for Ostian knights.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Look, you can hate on FE6 for a variety of reasons, but even you - yes, you, the biggest FE6 hater - have to admit that taking the memiest units in the game and giving them a triangle attack was the funniest idea.

I just have my doubts that these units were actually intended to be bad.

I've been watching peeps play Sacred Stones ironmans as of late. I have been having to re-evaluate how easy it really is because the peeps in question make moves that are just plain stupid. Like allowing someone who gets doubled to face Valter. No prizes for guessing how that ended. And putting Neimi and Lute out in the open... in a fog of war map... when they were already damaged... and not bothering to heal.

20 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

This oughta be interesting to read about as you get into it 😁

I can only hope so. I have managed to train both Gwen and Lili up to level 5 in chapter 8, plus Barthe to level 12, but chapter 8x will be the true training grounds, as always.

It's so silly how 8x is pretty much just the Lilina drill grounds, until you get to Henning, then it becomes Hell on Earth. But I'm just now realizing the triangle attack might unironically make him a lot simpler to beat... Barthe and Bors should be able to survive a couple hits from Henny, and they'll be guaranteed do deal a good hit in return even if their damage and hitrate are deplorable... Hmmmm.

20 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

I used it with the pegasus kinghts. Made pretty quick work of one boss fight that way

Bah, pegasus knights. "Ooo, we got high speeeeed, we have flier utility, ooo look out everyone, she's gonna hurt you with her 4 strength, ooo scary." Real men and women become knights and patiently walk the distance.

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe it's standard practice for Ostian knights.

Perhaps that's why they're so terrible, while Oswin was good. Back in Oswin's day, the Ostian knights had actual, strict training regimes, but when Hector took over, he forced the new recruits to waste their training days practicing fancy flourishes, Hectorcopter style.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

I just have my doubts that these units were actually intended to be bad.

Gwen, absolutely. She's established to have been knighted the day before chapter 8, I mean, that's just absolutely hilarious. I have no doubt that she's meant to be a complete meme. She doesn't even have a good defense growth lol

Bors and Barthe, though... Yeaaah I don't think they quite meant for them to be as terrible as they are. Bors desperately needed sword access, and Barthe is just way too gimped in every area outside of defense and strength to compensate for his amazing strength and defense.

Just now, Shadow Mir said:

I've been watching peeps play Sacred Stones ironmans as of late. I have been having to re-evaluate how easy it really is because the peeps in question make moves that are just plain stupid. Like allowing someone who gets doubled to face Valter. No prizes for guessing how that ended. And putting Neimi and Lute out in the open... in a fog of war map... when they were already damaged... and not bothering to heal.

It's easy to underestimate how stupid you get when you have to split your mind on playing the strategy game and giving engaging commentary to an audience. You lose focus, overlook things and go on autopilot more easily. I found out for myself one day I tried playing FE6 chapter 23 with a friend next to me. I was making completely asinine moves that even normal me, bad at these games as I am, wouldn't make, because I was constantly getting distracted by the conversation.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But I'm just now realizing the triangle attack might unironically make him a lot simpler to beat... Barthe and Bors should be able to survive a couple hits from Henny, and they'll be guaranteed do deal a good hit in return even if their damage and hitrate are deplorable... Hmmmm.

Spoiler alert: you cannot use it there. Only one space can be accessed from melee range. 

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Then add that the Right Wing has also been defanging the IRS on top of that...

Oh yeah, DeSantis staright-up said he'll abolish it if he becomes President. Never mind the logistical nightmares that would come from that.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, that's what the Spanish moderate right party is called. PP. In Spanish it's nothing unusual, and I had it so ingrained in my mind that I didn't even realize the funny until I typed it here and subconciously read it in English. But now I will never be able to unsee the PeePee. Wonderful

In Spanish it's funnier too because it's just "pepe". That's just a normal-ass name. Pepe.

If all else fails, you could move overhere

Not actually far-fetched. I already have a cousin over there and as far as I know, she just....moved there. No marriage or family members to do any paperwork, she just went and found a place. 

Got another cousin also over there studying in college. Idk which one, all I know is she chose Spain to study abroad in as opposed to the US. Tbf she doesn't know much English whereas the biggest obstacle in Spain would be accidentally saying a slur or something that isn't offensive in Venezuela.

Wait, oh my fucking Christ, seriously? They make you pay tribute even after you leave? How does this country manage to surpass my worst expectations every single time I learn something new about it...?

No taxation without representation they said.

It's not a huge tax but you'd be paying US tax+the other country's tax.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, if you are still claiming citizenship, you still gotta owe up to what that entails, then. If he leaves, renounces citizenship, and then he's still expected to pay taxes, then that'd be a problem.

US is the only country that does this to my knowledge. The taxes part I mean. Singapore arrests it's citizens if they break a Singaporean law even outside of the country. They get arrested when they get back.

The US actually does that part too but only in regards to CP charges. Turns out some Americans think they can get away with having sex in a country where the age of consent is lower. The US will arrest you if you do this. Sorry terminally online weebs.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

May the French keep their revolutionary spirit alive, just, not too bloody, please.🇫🇷

I remember a tidbit about how the new Americans actually praised the French Revolution.......only to be like "woah woah woah" once they found out about what was actually happening.

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

As the extremism of the right is on the rise I like to think more people are realizing politics is not a hobby but a civic duty that everyone must partake in

Like I said a few days ago, with the US attacking it's own people, it's forcing them to wake up. 2024 is not going to go as smoothly as Republicans think it is. More and more young people become eligible while more and more boomers just stop living.

And that's not just politically but culturally too. Saw a post that was like "in 10 years millions of Americans will have kids that straight-up just don't talk to them. Not just gay people but anybody who had to put up with a "culture war soldier" as a parent". Even the children of prominent Republican politicians. They may pose nice for pictures but just a few days ago we had the son of Lauren Boebert call the police because his dad was physically abusing him only for his mom to make him call back to say "no everything's fine". This shit's recorded btw, because all 911 calls are.

The fact that republicans are weaponizing their bigotry to force minorities to leave the state not just withing the state government but also within the red populace is terrible since they know it will give them more voting power.

I'm not saying you should stay no matter what even if your life is at risk but it's still really frustrating.

The good news is that it's not like the states are completely unsalvageable. Maybe something like idk Arkansas which has always been redneck territory would just always be that way but Florida and Texas are swing-states with huge populations. There was a time where California was right-wing too and now they are arguably the most progressive state in the country. So we can't give up.

Again, privileged Oregonian, but if things get bad up here I always have the possibility of getting duel citizenship in El Salvador....which I'll admit is not a great upgrade but...but.

Right-wing state or gang-violence capital of the world. But, El Salvador is actually fighting back. A mega prison feels like something out of a dystopia but like what else are they supposed to do at this point? Ever since they built it, they've actually done a pretty good job of cleaning up last I checked.

It's often said that in a fascist society most people would be fascists because it's the path of least resistance, but it is equally as true that in a fascist society there will always be rebels, revolutionaries, and protesters continuing to fight the good fight.

Mussolini thought he had it all and then the Italians beat him to death.

Edited by Armagon

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's easy to underestimate how stupid you get when you have to split your mind on playing the strategy game and giving engaging commentary to an audience. You lose focus, overlook things and go on autopilot more easily. I found out for myself one day I tried playing FE6 chapter 23 with a friend next to me. I was making completely asinine moves that even normal me, bad at these games as I am, wouldn't make, because I was constantly getting distracted by the conversation.

Perhaps, but I don't think one can make any excuses for losing two ironman runs in the freaking prologue. In a row. It gets better: they apparently cleared Maddening on Engage. Which makes this level of tactical incompetence all the more inexcusable. 

Edited by Shadow Mir

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Barthe is just way too gimped in every area outside of defense and strength to compensate for his amazing strength and defense.

He's also too heavy to be carried, meaning he has to get around on his own two feet in one of the most move-centric games.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In Spanish it's funnier too because it's just "pepe". That's just a normal-ass name. Pepe.

I once read that that's how we got the term Pepe to begin with. At least as a nickname for José.

Since supposedly, as José got named by the Church as Pater Putativus, it got shortened to P.P. Hence, Pepe.

Don't know how truthful that is, but it's kinda amusing nonetheless, heh.

No taxation without representation they said.

And as most other things they said, Terms and Conditions apply.

Like I said a few days ago, with the US attacking it's own people, it's forcing them to wake up. 2024 is not going to go as smoothly as Republicans think it is. More and more young people become eligible while more and more boomers just stop living.

And that's why they're acting now as they pass all those draconic measures, to ensure they can curve that incoming tide. Clinging to as much power they can for as long they can.

Mussolini thought he had it all and then the Italians beat him to death.

Guess he heard the Jerusalem bells ringing and Roman cavalry choirs singing.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And that's why they're acting now as they pass all those draconic measures, to ensure they can curve that incoming tide. Clinging to as much power they can for as long they can.

Mm. Their ultimate goal is to raise the voting age which.....they literally cannot do.

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bors ate an armorslayer and lived.

Me, playing Path of Radiance: "And that's noteworthy because...?"

Like, Bors and Barthe I get, they are both decently experienced and fought together for some time. But Gwen was canonically knighted a single day before chapter 8! How the fuck does she know how to do this? She's never even fought with Bors! I love it, it's great.

It's because Wendy is a fighting prodigy, duh.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I remember a tidbit about how the new Americans actually praised the French Revolution.......only to be like "woah woah woah" once they found out about what was actually happening.

It's probably more that the French Revolution had a lot of different faces, sometimes following in very rapid succession. The initial revolution was quite in line with the ideals of the Americans, with respectable bourgeois men and liberal nobles leading it. Heck, one of the leading figures was Lafayette, who was basically Washington's adopted son, but he was already a counterrevolutionary enemy of the state like three years later. Shit moved fast during the first few years of the revolution.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

BASED

Yeah, that minigame is really boring after a... Few forevers of grinding it without NG+. So I just... Boosted it a little bit! 

Pyra's cooking also is now not a nightmare to get done. And her meals are actually worth the effort now. Xd

58 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Spoiler alert: you cannot use it there. Only one space can be accessed from melee range. 

...Oh fuck, I forgot.

Goddammit, FE6! Why must Henning be such a fucking dick?

52 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well, the party name is pronounced slightly differently, as if it were Pepé rather than Pepe, so I... actually never drew that connection either lol

52 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not actually far-fetched. I already have a cousin over there and as far as I know, she just....moved there. No marriage or family members to do any paperwork, she just went and found a place. 

Got another cousin also over there studying in college. Idk which one, all I know is she chose Spain to study abroad in as opposed to the US. Tbf she doesn't know much English whereas the biggest obstacle in Spain would be accidentally saying a slur or something that isn't offensive in Venezuela.

Come, and I shall save you from your terminal weebness by burning down all your Xenoblade copies.

47 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

He's also too heavy to be carried, meaning he has to get around on his own two feet in one of the most move-centric games.

Right. That's probably his bigger flaw, in fact.

29 minutes ago, gnip said:

Me, playing Path of Radiance: "And that's noteworthy because...?"

Because this game actually has enemies

29 minutes ago, gnip said:

It's because Wendy is a fighting prodigy, duh.

"I fear not the man who has practiced a thousand kicks once, I fear the woman who can perform the triangle attack on her first day on the job."

How are Wendy and Bors siblings, anyway? Wendy is the most generic anime girl in existence (and this is the only FE universe where unique girls exist, so she has even less excuse than most) and then there's Bors who is like, funny. I wonder who the parents were.

...Gee, if only there was a prequel that could've showed their parents, or young Yoder, Niime, Dayan and Dougy instead of completely unrelated characters--

...I wasn't expecting to have a nerd outburst today.😡🤓😆 I was so left in rage and disbelief that someone didn't know such """basic""" information, that I struggled to speak and give them a history lesson. And I still hadn't completely recovered my breath ten minutes afterwards.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

To add on to Ping/gnip's point, the French Revolution began peaceful and promising enough.

• First it was a constitutional monarchy, the good part.
  • Then the French get rid of the royals and became the First Republic, which is when Robespierre and the Reign of Terror get underway
    • It's at this point that the French Revolution becomes an abomination. And any idea of "reform", no matter how mild, becomes anathema in the rest of Europe for decades afterwards. Because conservatives and reactionaries could point and say "Do you want this country to end up like France did?".
  • The Directory that followed the First Republic tried to bring France back from the wild days of beheadings and radical revolutionary rhetoric. It was a kind of republic, but cooled and much more centrist or even conservative.
    • -The problem is that the damages done to the international reputation of the French Revolution were already irreparably done (France remained at war with the rest of Europe too). 

I'm not so knowledgeable on this heavily detailed topic as to when things turned. But certainly, part of the issue was a king reluctant to fulfill his role in a constitutional monarchy. The failed (but almost succeeded despite multiple sometimes comical mistakes) attempted escape of the royal family to Austria (Marie Antoinette's homeland) was something of last straw that turned things against Louis XVI and his children.

Foreign powers concerned about the Bourbons then started eyeing intervention. This created a "We true Frenchmen have the world against us, and our revolutionary flame will not be doused!" mentality; revolutionaries can be confrontational, even if it isn't the smartest thing to do. These wars weren't all defensive, France undertook invasions of other countries to spread the Revolution abroad.

• However, the French were very haughty, so intellectually/culturally superior they believed they constituted a newly breed of humanity compared to everyone else. That, and the French economy wasn't doing so well with all the upheaval, and war is expensive. So "establishing free revolutionary governments who are our friends and equals", gave way to the cynical, practical reality of establishing puppet/satellite regimes in the conquered lands that could then provide France with the resources it wanted. That ought to leave the conquered a wee bit skeptical of the "benefits" of liberalism (in the "classical" sense of the word).

There were also simply long-term grievances. The North American colonies that become the United States were happy enough in the British Empire until close to the Revolution. France is an old country, it had simmering tensions that went back generations. During the French Revolution, the tombs of long-dead royals and aristocrats going back to the Middle Ages were raided and their bone fragments smashed to pieces. Illogical acts of purest vengeance (how does destroying human remains fix the problems of the living?). Louis XVI was generally incompetent and unable to read the room, but it was Louis XIV whose long absolutist reign had planted the seeds which would lead to the execution of his great-great-great grandson. Louis XV in the meanwhile had allowed France to fill with talkative intellectuals, not all of whom got along with absolute monarchy, nor were happy with enforced Catholicism for that matter.

Move ahead to the Russian Revolution. Centuries of grievances were even greater and more severe there; the immediate problems that sparked the revolution were heftier as well. Russian revolutionaries had the French R' long in the history books and the world had a much longer history of revolutionary ideology by this point. Thus, the Russian Revolution had a much shorter "promising" period, and gave way to the October/Bolshevik Revolution and the beginnings of that bloodshed, inhumanity, and atrocities of totalitarian socialism, within one year.

Perhaps that's why they're so terrible, while Oswin was good. Back in Oswin's day, the Ostian knights had actual, strict training regimes, but when Hector took over, he forced the new recruits to waste their training days practicing fancy flourishes, Hectorcopter style.

Shouldn't that fix their movement problem then? If they keep twirrrrrrrrrling! in one direction, they ought to smoothly glide in the opposite.

Gwen, absolutely. She's established to have been knighted the day before chapter 8, I mean, that's just absolutely hilarious. I have no doubt that she's meant to be a complete meme. She doesn't even have a good defense growth lol

This was statement was made in a pre-release Path of Radiance Q&A, recorded eons ago on SF.:

Q) How many recruitable characters will there be? I really enjoyed having so many characters in Sword of Seals to promote, but the number was greatly reduced in The Sacred Stones to my disappointment.

A) There will be 40-50, which is an average amount for the series. The number of characters depends on the contents of the game. Since in Sword of Seals we wanted to have a female character for almost every class, there were an exceptionally large amount of characters.

Wendy.🤨 

-And yet we still didn't get a female cavalier! There apparently was a female Paladin named "Aigir" at some point...

https://serenesforest.net/2016/02/06/making-of-binding-blade/#more-31166

...and according to the above link, she would appeared as an NPC during beta-Chapter 8, which has the same name as the Chapter 8 in the final product, so possibly approximately the same scenario. She then would have joined if she survived in Chapter 12 -albeit one that could very well have been like nothing the finalized game.

(There are unused promotion bonuses for Female Paladin in FE6. +8 Spd and +6 Res tell me IS probably realized they wouldn't matter halfway into programming them.)

51 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How are Wendy and Bors siblings, anyway? Wendy is the most generic anime girl in existence (and this is the only FE universe where unique girls exist, so she has even less excuse than most) and then there's Bors who is like, funny. I wonder who the parents were.

...Gee, if only there was a prequel that could've showed their parents, or young Yoder, Niime, Dayan and Dougy instead of completely unrelated characters--

Most certainly sounds more interesting than a prequel centering on the guy who spends the whole game sick at home and that other guy who died in chapter 2.

Well, that was a very pleasant chapter. In any other game I would call it a complete bore, but considering FE6 is no slouch, least of all in hard mode, I am convinced this chapter's the way it is because they intended for you to use it to train Lilina. And, y'know, the rest. Frankly, I'll take it. It's a fun time training these idiots.

h5f2tcnm_o.png

So I just spent 30-something turns watching this happen. The reward for my efforts?

Ap5aNgMC_o.png

Gwen grew powerful enough to survive a round against Henning. Incredible, incredible.

As for how it only took me 46 turns...

t2ITS67Y_o.png

I swear, I did not RNG abuse that. It just happened. Between this and his very solid first couple of levels, Zelot definitely wants to stay on the team.

Oh, one more thing. So I just noticed something that had gone unnoticed all these years by me...

5Zv3SG5p_o.png

It's that 12 inside a green box on the lower left corner. It also said 12 on the last chapter, and the next. What's that all about? 12 what? I went on a ROM without a save file and it said nothing. For a moment I thought it was a run counter, but then I tried one of my hack ROMs and it also says 12. And then I tried an old randomized ROM I had lying around and it says... 10?

What?

Still don't let this distract you from the fact that Gwendolyn survives a round against Henning. Attagirl.

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Shouldn't that fix their movement problem then? If they keep twirrrrrrrrrling! in one direction, they ought to smoothly glide in the opposite.

Hector has bad movement too, at least after promotion - which is when he copters anyway. Clearly for all his coptering, he could never quite figure out how to use it for transportation.

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Since in Sword of Seals we wanted to have a female character for almost every class, there were an exceptionally large amount of characters.

I'd actually been thinking about it recently, it does check out. There's a girl in every class line except for zerker, warrior and cavalier, with boys missing out on pegasus, as per usual. I appreciate the effort, it makes for a nice and varied cast.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wendy.🤨 

...Of course, in some cases they had to do some serious reaching. It's not even like the FE6 devs were opposed to strong girls or anything, I mean, Echidna exists, Melady exists, Igrene exists, Niime isn't physically strong but she's an utter menace in the magical department... It's just Gwen that's a complete failure compared to her male counterp-- oh right her Ostian peers are pathetic too.

Clearly what made the difference here was the beard. I bet you didn't see that coming.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-And yet we still didn't get a female cavalier! There apparently was a female Paladin named "Aigir" at some point...

https://serenesforest.net/2016/02/06/making-of-binding-blade/#more-31166

...and according to the above link, she would appeared as an NPC during beta-Chapter 8, which has the same name as the Chapter 8 in the final product, so possibly approximately the same scenario. She then would have joined if she survived in Chapter 12 -albeit one that could very well have been like nothing the finalized game.

(There are unused promotion bonuses for Female Paladin in FE6. +8 Spd and +6 Res tell me IS probably realized they wouldn't matter halfway into programming them.)

Wow, I had no idea. That's super interesting. Shame we didn't get her, a female paladin would've been nice. Though I would question the wisdom of implementing a Dougy scenario with a paladin, of all things. So early on, too, no staves to put that one to sleep. Maybe the gimmick would've been that she'd refuse to attack men and you'd have to surround her with guys

Those weapon triangle ideas, though. Kinda wish it'd happened, it would've made FE6 even zannier and axes less sad.

Just now, BrightBow said:

Most certainly sounds more interesting than a prequel centering on the guy who spends the whole game sick at home and that other guy who died in chapter 2.

Hey, don't forget the most important of them: The girl who                                                                            and then got 10 alts in Heroes, each hornier than the last.

Am I the only one who thinks players need to get into the habit of checking enemy stats and weapons? Because the players I was talking about seemed to neglect that part of the job description...

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Congrats to you guys, I guess.

Speaking of, I did a bit of research on that far-right party to see how it stacks up to America, and...

On the other hand, the party has appealed to conspiracy theories invoking the figure of George Soros as a mastermind behind Catalan separatism 

???

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Am I the only one who thinks players need to get into the habit of checking enemy stats and weapons? Because the players I was talking about seemed to neglect that part of the job description...

If most actually did this, they more than likely wouldnt complain about it taking too long. Xd

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

In general, for they to be more proactive in stuff like that.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

In general, for they to be more proactive in stuff like that.

1 minute ago, Lightcosmo said:

If most actually did this, they more than likely wouldnt complain about it taking too long. Xd

If they did that more, they wouldn't make facepalm-worthy decisions. I mean, seriously, one dude blindly had Cormag charge an enemy... and right into bow range. And another had Vanessa engage a gargoyle without bothering to check if she could survive the other one and the one she attacked. His genius strategy? Rescue her with Tana. Which worked well enough... if you wanted to senselessly sacrifice a unit.