• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Sephiroth from Final Fantasy.

Almost Sephiran. We nearly got the FE rep we didn't want.

Edited by Benice

I just happened to watch the stream at the end of the trailer with "I will never be a memory" and I thought "Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2 already?" But then it showed the Smash copyrights and I thought "Huh, what?" Then I went back and realized my mistake. That being said...

Honestly Sephiroth is much, much cooler than what I was expecting, and I'm not disappointed to see him in. Final Fantasy is also the first third party to get more than one unique character, and while I think people will complain that VII got another character over a character from a different FF game, Sephiroth is one of gaming's most iconic villains so I think his inclusion makes sense.

It's funny that Sakurai wanted to include One Winged Angel so badly that he added a whole character with it.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

Am I the only one who wants to have, like, 5-8 supports per unit again?

5-8 does not ensure quality. PoR had duds and most characters there had only 3 chains on average. However, I don't object to less, I'm simply cautious of treating less = better as a divine axiom.

3 hours ago, Spara said:

FE can have great character interaction without supports AT ALL. Just look at TRS's cast.

I was left wanting for more. There are some scenes that worked nicely there, and maybe it's because I liked those scenes that I wanted more. More from Sierra and a Tia-Xeno conversation come readily to mind. Of course, what I really want is a cool Tia & Sennet campaign, why Kaga have them do so much stuff offscreen with a band of nice characters and a donkey?

Although now that I think about it wouldn't be that hard or different from usual, when I get to emulating again, I think I'll do an all-males run of TRS. It'd be my third, I already did an all-females run (that admittedly wasn't finished), so the menfolk deserve a chance. Enteh and Katri will receive honorary manhood because living is manly, Lee will be the second Marlon pick (I'm gonna try Narron for the first time), and Ms. Warp Staff will receive the manhood honor too, because losing one's sanity to a godawful map is not manly.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

That sounds like a lot of dialogue or not many characters...

For a second opinion on SRW, judging solely from the two GBA OG games and the first Masoukishin (and the two Endless Frontier games, the second of which has a good SRW-esque vibe to its cast and writing in spite of being a JRPG spinoff), it kinda is. Some maps being short and more cinematic than challenge can create a feeling of "3H imbalance" at times. But the games do let you fast forward through the dialogue. And first time around, I think all the dialogue is still enjoyable. It's well presented I suppose, and an interesting for being an alternative direction to what FE does.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know, I can't believe it has taken me this long to say it but...

Raguna. Raguna for Smash! RF should totally have a rep there!

It could be all of them (minus Aaron & Aria) in one as different costumes like DQ Hero, actually. Their physical frames should be similar enough that nobody would notice if it seemed odd. They can all use the same weapon types, and Micah doesn't need to use his Wooly aspect. 

I would ask, in the absence of a Story of Seasons rep (the classic SNES-64-Back to Nature appearance would be my pick for a such character), that the RF character throws hoes, hammers, axes, sickles and watering cans into their arsenal of attacks.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

This is why we shower with hot water

Unless you live with others and they complain you've left them with water that'd be right at home off the coast of Antartica. Also, water thats too hot is bad for your skin, though I keep repeating this health error.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

My favorite thing to see in anything is when characters just hang out.

It doesn't look like nobody noticed when I slightly edited Spara's post but to follow up on that, Tokyo Mirage Sessions unironically has some of the best character interactions in all of FE because a lot of the character interactions is just the characters hanging out and being friends. The text messages they send back and forth to each other? Genuinely one of my favorite parts about the game.

Tmsfe-sticker_20.png

One could say, I'm not sure how much I believe this or what makes me want to suggest this, is that the more casual moments can be more humanizing. Plot can give people stuff to say, "Oh no, we must stop Evil Dude at the Cave of Importance. Let's go!", "I'm sorry your big brother had to sacrifice himself in front of us Cute Dudette.", these sentiments are constructed by the narrative, they can be customized to align with the character's personality, but they're artificial and generic to an extent. When things are chill, the characters aren't being guided as much, there is less prefabricated tropey text to fall back on, hence, there is a chance for things to be more natural, more real. A hero is acting extraordinary in heroic moments, they aren't as relatable, because IRL we're rarely heroic; hanging out is never heroic, it's mundane, as we are.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Zhou Yu is looking just a little devious there. Does he see a Wei wooden coffin-to-be floating on water in the distance? 🔥

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, the father and sons triple "Imbecile!" they deliver to Jiang Wei in 8's Jin Hypothetical was a sight to behold.

I have not seen this, I'll have to look it up later.🤣

17 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Sephiroth from Final Fantasy.

I've nothing against Sephiroth, but why double up on that franchise? And why from the game where SE first jumped ship from Nintendo? TBF, Nintendo Aerith'ed themselves with the cartridge choice. If they wanted to do a third-party RPG character, why not pick a franchise not in Smash, theres still enough of those. Why not a Tales character? Yuri, Lloyd, this Velvet girl I don't know much about. Or Haken, Namco owns him, and he'd be fun in Smash, total super-duper pipe dream I've spontaneously generated for myself right this second.

Just now, Sooks said:

Well now that that (and dinner) is out of the way, I am back to devising whatever curse/blessing I would like to assign Shrimpy...

I've already blessed him with the power to walk on land:

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It could be all of them (minus Aaron & Aria) in one as different costumes like DQ Hero, actually. Their physical frames should be similar enough that nobody would notice if it seemed odd. They can all use the same weapon types, and Micah doesn't need to use his Wooly aspect. 

I would ask, in the absence of a Story of Seasons rep (the classic SNES-64-Back to Nature appearance would be my pick for a such character), that the RF character throws hoes, hammers, axes, sickles and watering cans into their arsenal of attacks.

Micah without his Wooly powers would just be potential wasted, I'd say.

If I were to chose, I'd have gone with Lest/Frey. Due to the recentness of 4S. Have the alt colors be in the palette of the other RF protagonists, as it were, or something.

I have not seen this, I'll have to look it up later.🤣

Enjoy:

I've nothing against Sephiroth, but why double up on that franchise? And why from the game where SE first jumped ship from Nintendo? TBF, Nintendo Aerith'ed themselves with the cartridge choice. If they wanted to do a third-party RPG character, why not pick a franchise not in Smash, theres still enough of those. Why not a Tales character? Yuri, Lloyd, this Velvet girl I don't know much about. Or Haken, Namco owns him, and he'd be fun in Smash, total super-duper pipe dream I've spontaneously generated for myself right this second.

Or just any other RPG from SE. Or if FF again, then from any other than VII.

But then that's just not SE's vibe, eh.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Popularity, I assume?

Yuri would be awesome, but so would Milla. 

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

678667613878091792.png?v=1

Hehe...

>proceeds to give him the most average unit in the game with no major adjustments

Well anyway, I guess I’m back to three houses...

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Well anyway, I guess I’m back to three houses...

Have fun! I'll finish it once I have the space on my switch.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

>proceeds to give him the most average unit in the game with no major adjustments

I gave some strong skills though, right? Higher speed means better offensive against ninjas?

I just jumped on the FE Wiki and picked the best skills I could find, lol.

I felt like being generous, haha.

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I gave some strong skills though, right? Higher speed means better offensive against ninjas?

I FORGOT TO CHECK THE SKILLS

oops

xD

Just ignore that... Laslow is known by Conquest-ers as being the most average unit though.

Same

Ah, malig knight Elise... I bet she would make a great we analyze interesting fire emblem units.

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

Have fun! I'll finish it once I have the space on my switch.

You have fun as well, even though I feel like you would just be forcing yourself at that point. I feel like VW’s final map is pretty cool so...

Anyway I’m playing CF which is oBjEcTiVeLy a better route. I think I’m just going to use all the black eagles plus maybe an extra or two, in canon classes like always, haha

I really ought to try Valkyrie Edelgard after I beat it on maddening...

Edited by Sooks

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Anyway I’m playing CF which is oBjEcTiVeLy a better route.

I mean, it is hard to be worse than VW...

I feel like VW’s final map is pretty cool so...

It looked okay to play, yeah.

As long as I turn off the music, at least.

in canon classes like always

Waste taste: Emperor Edelgard

Based taste: Bishop-Holy knight Edelgard.

Edited by Benice

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

You don't like God-shattering Star?

I'm surprised, given how you like classical music.

At least to me, it's far too busy as a map theme. It's okay by itself, It's just...Too much, y'know

19 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I felt like being generous, haha.

I wouldn't call any of the skills you chose as best skills haha xD

Only Bow Breaker is good, really xD

But i can live with it xD

Just now, Father Shrimpas said:

I wouldn't call any of the skills you chose as best skills haha xD

Only Bow Breaker is good, really xD

But i can live with it xD

Shows what I know. I just went with stat buffs and all that jazz.

shrugs