Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

On 12/5/2020 at 9:18 PM, Armagon said:

It's ok, you can say Twilight Princess opening.

I had Pokemon RSE in mind, actually, because it sometimes required several button presses just to see what you caught (Hopefully this was fixed in ORAS). And that's not even getting into the Feebas debacle. Also, Sun and Moon to some extent since if you wanted rare Pokemon, you had to beeline to the one fishing spot with bubbling water; didn't get what you wanted? Too bad. You gotta leave the area to try again.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I would’ve given it to Ghost of Tsushima

Yeah, that game looked cool as well. Can't say much about it as i don't know enough but i would've done at least one playthrough in black-and-white mode lmao.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Hey, Persona 5 worth it? I don't know anything about it, but it seems pretty popular. I don't really have time for it right now, but maybe in the future.

It's one of the few non-Square Enix JRPGs that managed to enter mainstream status, at least relatively. I don't actually know a whole lot about it's specifics but it's got a cool aesthetic. On a side note, Persona as a whole is also M-rated for some reason, which is weird to me because it never struck me as an M-rated series. But i only bring that up because you like to play games with your family and idk what their stance is on M-rated games.

Anyways, P5  is on my list (well Royal anyway, i wouldn't have gotten Royal if i already played the OG tho) but unfortunately, i do not have a PS4 so that game is inaccessible to me.

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But at the end of the day we all know award shows are bought in advance.

At least for movies, they sometimes point out the obscure artistic stuff that doesn't make bank (which does disconnect them from the mainstream, but I'd say let that public TV aspect die and focus the ceremonies on the praising of good art), not to brush diversity problems in that industry aside. Video games I don't think need award ceremonies.

31 minutes ago, Benice said:

Hey, Persona 5 worth it? I don't know anything about it, but it seems pretty popular. I don't really have time for it right now, but maybe in the future.

A JRPG franchise created by Atlus, wherein a group of teenagers live ordinary lives of high school and side jobs and the silent MC bonds with his fellow heroes over the course of weeks and months. When you're not doing that, you leap into dungeons and engage in traditional turn-based RPG action, using the power of Persona, one's inner self manifested in the form of a deity, demon, or other mythological entity with magical powers. The plots always involve some aspect of human psychology and fighting the evil that lurks humanity's collective unconscious.

My current avi is Apollo, Tatsuya Suou's ultimate Persona, from Persona 2. Persona 1 and the Persona 2 duology- Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, define "old Persona". The changeover to including life-sim aspects happened with Persona 3, and because Persona 3 financially succeeded where P1 and P2 failed, it became the formula copied by Persona 4 and Persona 5. Spinoffs include two Etrian Odyssey-styled dungeon crawlers, two 2D fighting games, three dancing games, and one Warriors-esque game.

Persona 5 has brought the Persona franchise to new levels of popularity and acclaim. Although Persona did begin as a spinoff of Shin Megami Tensei, with Persona 3 and beyond, it has greatly exceeded SMT in popularity and has truly come into its own as an independent series.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona share in turn-based combat and dungeon crawling, but thematically, SMT is a lot darker and bleaker. The first SMT involved Thor pretending to be the US Ambassador to Japan, who on the Abrahamic God's orders, sent ICBMs to nuke Japan because demonic infestation made it unclean and undeserving of salvation, after a demon ate your mother and pretended to be her to try to kill you. -This was just halfway into the game. The demon wanted to kill you, because you are he who art destined to be the Messiah who in the end shall side with: the law-or-die angels led by the God, the chaos-or-die demons led by Lucifer, or humanity itself. In other words, it's the happiest line of video games on Earth.😁

35 minutes ago, Benice said:

Speaking of, what is the pull of animal crossing? It's huge and SUPER popular, but I don't really see the appeal.

It's a little bit of living a simple, cheery fantasy life. Decorate a house, catch bugs and fish, befriend cute villagers, make elaborate pixilated prints for clothing. It's very relaxed, and not for me. The games are best enjoyed playing slowly, a little bit every day or a few times a week, you appreciate its charms in bits as your life progresses IRL. It's too slow and uncomplicated for me, my tries with the games have seen me play it for about a week IRL before getting totally bored and dropping it, but I can see how someone might like it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

LET'S GOOOOOO

FINALLY GOT OVER 30 KMH

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Persona as a whole is also M-rated for some reason

Oh.

Well.

Looks like it'll be a few years until I try it, then.

Then again, if I move out, it''s possible that I'll inherit the switch and can play it when I'm in university!

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A JRPG franchise created by Atlus, wherein a group of teenagers live ordinary lives of high school and side jobs and the silent MC bonds with his fellow heroes over the course of weeks and months. When you're not doing that, you leap into dungeons and engage in traditional turn-based RPG action, using the power of Persona, one's inner self manifested in the form of a deity, demon, or other mythological entity with magical powers. The plots always involve some aspect of human psychology and fighting the evil that lurks humanity's collective unconscious.

So, by JRPG, does that mean it's a bit like Yakuza?

47 minutes ago, Benice said:

Speaking of, what is the pull of animal crossing? It's huge and SUPER popular, but I don't really see the appeal.

It’s Rune Factory, but without the charming characters, goal-oriented activities, and fun story. 😛 

I kid, I kid. But seriously, that’s kind of what Animal Crossing is. A life sim in its purest form. It just plays at such a slow pace and lacks meaningful goals that I couldn‘t get into it, tbh. Rune Factory does everything AC does better, and with much more variety, IMO.

Just now, Benice said:

Then again, if I move out, it''s possible that I'll inherit the switch and can play it when I'm in university!

Persona 5 Royal is ps4 exclusive though. If you’re talking about the recently announced strikers then that’s a spin off sequel thing that runs horribly on switch(seriously 30 second load times wtf?!). Persona 4 Golden is on steam though.

Just now, Ottservia said:

No more like Final fantasy, Pokemon, Tales of, etc.

So...It's turn based combat? (I seem to recall one of the Yakuza games being like that, but seeing as I've never played one, I have no clue which...)

Apologies, I'm quite the noob when it comes to games.

Just now, Benice said:

Isn't OG P5 on Switch?

Nope persona has historically has always been a playstation exclusive. Where did you get the idea it was on switch? Even so Royal outclasses the original in every way so I would recommend that one regardless.

Just now, Ottservia said:

Nope persona has historically has always been a playstation exclusive. Where did you get the idea it was on switch? Even so Royal outclasses the original in every way so I would recommend that one regardless.

F

Guess I'll hve to qatch a playthrough of it, then.

I’m too lazy to find the quote so @Benice the appeal of animal crossing is the same as your standard life sim, but with cute animals, and giving you a bit to do each day for the more busy folk instead of just having you do everything whenever you want. Whether or not that’s to it’s detriment is for you to decide.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

So...It's turn based combat? (I seem to recall one of the Yakuza games being like that, but seeing as I've never played one, I have no clue which...)

Unfortunately.

If it wasn’t I’d try it, based off of a recommendation I received

Just now, Sooks said:

Unfortunately.

If it wasn’t I’d try it, based off of a recommendation I received

What's wrong with turn-based combat?

1 minute ago, Benice said:

What's wrong with turn-based combat?

It’s just not my thing

Well, in JRPG form anyway

I’m fine with its implementation in fe, since it’s not boring

Edited by Sooks

I keep coming back to this Heart-to-Heart. Honestly one of my favorites in the entire series. "I'd rather be an optimist than just despair at the state of the world". Good line.

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

It’s Rune Factory, but without the charming characters, goal-oriented activities, and fun story. 😛

I mean tbf, Rune Factory's story does not matter at all lol.

Then again, at least it still has one lmao.

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

No more like Final fantasy, Pokemon, Tales of, etc.

Nah, Yakzua can be counted as a JRPG and i don't just mean the most recent entry, pretty sure. JRPG is a broad term after all.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Isn't OG P5 on Switch?

SMT is the one that appears on Nintendo consoles a lot. But, as Observer mentioned, it's the darker and bleaker version.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions counts as a Persona game kinda tho, game's mad underrated as i've stated before.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Unfortunately.

Like a Dragon is the only game in the series that is turned based, the rest of the games are more beat 'em up.

F

Guess I'll hve to qatch a playthrough of it, then.

again there's always persona 4 golden on steam. It's not the same thing I know but I still consider P4G a fantastic experience.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Apologies, I'm quite the noob when it comes to games.

Turn based combat, elemental weaknesses, very story driven, up to 4 party members that fill their own niche, etc. the works really though what makes Persona and SMT unique is the fusion system.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Like a Dragon is the only game in the series that is turned based, the rest of the games are more beat 'em up.

Hey, is this one available on switch? It looked pretty good, from what I've seen.

Hey, is this one available on switch? It looked pretty good, from what I've seen.

No. None of the Yakuza games are.

These are also M-rated so you gonna have to wait a while (or just watch a playthrough).

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

elemental weaknesses

Wait what?

Octopath did this

Persona 5 good? xD

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Really? Huh.

Guess this is why you don’t make assumptions.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Really? Huh.

Yep. It makes sense in context too, the main protagonist of Like a Dragon is a huge Dragon Quest fan and he thinks of everything in terms of Dragon Quest. Hence, the shift to turn-based combat.