• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait what?

Octopath did this

Persona 5 good? xD

it's not exactly a revolutionary concept. Pokemon has been using for decades now. Though persona does put a unique spin on it by allowing you gain an extra move after hitting an opponent's elemental weakness. It keeps the flow of battle smooth and snappy especially with the baton pass mechanic in 5

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yep. It makes sense in context too, the main protagonist of Like a Dragon is a huge Dragon Quest fan and he thinks of everything in terms of Dragon Quest. Hence, the shift to turn-based combat.

Nanba is still my favorite.

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well, I know nothing about dragon quest...

Theres a very long demo on the eShop for Dragon Quest XI. Just sayin' if you want a free sample of the very first JRPG franchise, which to this day modernizes, but remains rooted in tradition and always has a place for charm and cheeriness.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yep. It makes sense in context too, the main protagonist of Like a Dragon is a huge Dragon Quest fan and he thinks of everything in terms of Dragon Quest. Hence, the shift to turn-based combat.

Sounds strange for a game about the Japanese mafia, but I got the impression Yakuza doesn't take itself very seriously.:

dance.gif

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds strange for a game about the Japanese mafia, but I got the impression Yakuza doesn't take itself very seriously.:

Maybe. But not strange for a Japanese.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe. But not strange for a Japanese.

The DQ love? True, considering the myth that DQ can't be released on weekdays there because too many people will skip work or school that day. Dragon Quest is quintessential in the Japanese gaming soul. More than Zelda, considering Age of Calamity sold less there than a Konami game (yes, they still make them) thats railroads and Monopoly. -Just felt like throwing that weird tidbit in as an aside.

13 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Though persona does put a unique spin on it by allowing you gain an extra move after hitting an opponent's elemental weakness. It keeps the flow of battle smooth and snappy especially with the baton pass mechanic in 5

Someone who has played both please confirm but this description sounds very similar to TMS' Session Attacks. You didn't get an extra move by hitting an opposing weakness but hitting one allowed the other party members to preform follow-ups, eventually including those in reserve. Of course, the enemy could do it to you too.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I got the impression Yakuza doesn't take itself very seriously.

It absolutely does not. From what i can tell, the series is very cheesy and campy and it knows it.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The DQ love? True, considering the myth that DQ can't be released on weekdays there because too many people will skip work or school that day. Dragon Quest is quintessential in the Japanese gaming soul. More than Zelda, considering Age of Calamity sold less there than a Konami game (yes, they still make them) thats railroads and Monopoly. -Just felt like throwing that weird tidbit in as an aside.

Apparently, not a myth:

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2018/2018/06/13/myth-confirmed-square-enix-talks-selling-dragon-quest-on-school-days

Kids did skipped school to go buy DQIII when it first came out.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't think it does. The karaoke scenes are fabulously over-the-top.

43 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well, I know nothing about dragon quest...

How's this then? Metal slimes are very good experience - if you can defeat them, which most often you will not because they are quick to run.

Oh, I got reminded of that post I made when I reached that point of DQV...

On 6/4/2020 at 11:35 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

Because of the length of the following part of my DQV playthrough update, it has been placed within spoiler tags for your convenience.

Hide contents

There comes that time in the life of an adventurer when they start to reflex about the future. They have traveled lots. Seen many places. Met many people. Perhaps the goal they set out at the beginning has been fulfilled and a new one has replaced it, or they’re still working on it. Either way, the big question comes: Do they continue their journey, or perhaps it’s finally time to settle down, if only for a while?

For young Madason, the answer was easy. He knew his adventurer days were far from over. He still had to find his mother, the rest of the Zenithian Equipment, and the Legendary Hero. The fate of the world likely depended on it, at least when it came to the last two; but the first one was a very personal matter to ignore. How long has it been since he set off? Almost two years now? Already over that? In any case, such a consequence of being on the road for so long, was the craving of companionship. 

Sure, he had Saber, and his other monster friends; but he knew there was still something missing. Back when he set off, he had his best friend Harry at his side. They journeyed together for what was months. Until Harry’s longing for his old home, the Kingdom of Coburg, led to a big flurry of events that ended with Harry staying behind, having regained his title of Prince of Coburg, which had been taken from him years ago. All while Madason continued with his own journey, not alone but soon coming to miss the company of fellow humans.

Though when did that longing turned into a desire to find a wife? Was it when he heard Harry had married? When he once returned to Coburg and saw how happy he was with his wife? Was it when he finally found the Zenithian Shield, but its current owner, Rodrigo Briscoletti, would only give it away through a challenge that would also grant the privilege of marrying the man’s younger daughter, Nera? In any case, the idea had long gripped him; and as he fulfilled the challenged, it weighted on his mind that it might be something he may not have a choice about after all.

It was then that the fateful day had arrived. He had fulfilled Rodrigo’s challenge, and had returned to the man’s home of Mostroferrato. He knew that soon he’d have the Zenithian Shield... as well as Nera’s hand in marriage. Was it really going to be inevitable? The terms of the challenge were that the reward would be for both, and he wasn’t sure if to dare ask for otherwise, if it meant the shield would be out of his grasp too.

However, just as the eleventh hour struck, fate decided to throw a last second wrench to that plan. Or perhaps more accurate to say, two of them.

ml6swa5.png

That’s right, at that very moment what had been cut and dried became otherwise. Not only he was going to choose who would become his bride, but it was choice between who of three! A very confounding situation, that had left Madason speechless. Rodrigo, however, took it in stride and thus declared that Madason would be free to choose his spouse to be and still be rewarded with the shield as promised. Which for the poor boy, only exacerbated things further. It was clear now he definitely had no choice now but to get married. The quandary now was: Who? 

Would it be Nera still? Compassionate and soft-spoken, she had spent years preparing for this moment. Though even she was surprised at the prospect of the challenge. If it carried some other motive in light of what it conveyed, she didn’t know. She and Madason had only socialized a few times, in the times he had to pass through Mostroferrato as he did the challenge, but perhaps that had been enough for a spark to appear. Perhaps with time and the right opportunity said spark could ignite further.

The first of the two choices was Rodrigo’s other daughter, Deborah. Prideful and haughty, she was an almost complete opposite in demeanor from her sister. She was a woman who definitely liked to be in charge. She had practically forced her way into the situation, after all. Almost as if offended that she was not deemed a prize to win. Though perhaps under that outer layer was a hidden heart of gold? Which only needed the right situation to reveal itself. At the very least, choosing her would mean for interesting times ahead.

Finally, the last choice was Bianca, Madason’s childhood friend, whom he had not seen in over ten years. Kind and courageous, she had helped Madason with the last part of the challenge. Intrigued by the prospect of it, had accompanying him to Mostroferrato. Ironically, it had been Nera the one to point that maybe the childhood friends’ feelings for each other may be more than that. Was that really the case? At the very least, their friendship could indeed be the foundation for things yet to come.

This was to become one of the toughest and most important decisions Madason would do in his life. After all, a spouse is meant to be a lifelong partner. Someone with whom to share laughs and tears. To support as well as be supported by. Through prosperity and hardship. This situation was not how he would’ve liked to choose, but it was the one to be. As such, he would have to think thoroughly and carefully, weight in his options, and be prepared to commit. No doubt it would take a considerable amount of time…

……………

*0.68 seconds later*

u1MSKV7.png

I regret nothing.

Thankfully it was still there, hahaha...

Just now, Ottservia said:

I swear to god if they got A1 to do this. Please don’t let the studio be A1

I will be in pain if they got A1.

A1 isn't even like, a bad studio but Star Wars deserves better.

Is A1 the Phoenix games/LJN of the animation industry?

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, what I like of the change of season... perfect excuse for some hot chocolate...

Enjoy!

Anyways I'm just glad Star Wars is getting more animated content.

What I don't like is that new Ahsoka show they announced. Ahsoka's one appearance in The Mandalorian was fine, she doesn't need her own show. Especially because she already had her own show, it's called The Clone Wars.

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Someone who has played both please confirm but this description sounds very similar to TMS' Session Attacks. You didn't get an extra move by hitting an opposing weakness but hitting one allowed the other party members to preform follow-ups, eventually including those in reserve. Of course, the enemy could do it to you too.

I haven't played Persona, but it's worth noting that Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (a mainline title using the Etrian Odyssey engine that is between SMTIII: Nocturne and SMTIV, but isn't numbered) and TMS share a director- Eiji Ishida. Whereas SMT since Nocturne has used Press Turns, extra actions when you target weaknesses, Strange Journey has Co-Op Attacks instead. If you hit a weakness, the initiator shares its alignment with at least one ally, they'll team up for an additional attack. The more that participate, the more damage that is dealt. TMS could be referencing Persona's All-Out attacks, but Sessions could be a natural expansion of SJ's Co-Op Attacks instead.

In addition, the materials enemies drop that you can sell for money and unlock new items and equipment in the shop in Strange Journey are called "Forma". Tack three letters on it, and you've got the term for enemy materials in TMS. And you know how the entrance to the TMS final dungeon is in a stadium? It's called the Cosmic Egg, which sounds weird, unless you know the Cosmic Eggs are the eleventh hour Macguffins necessary to radically reform the world in Strange Journey.

Fortunately, TMS left out the snowy war hellscape, red light district, shopping mall, and giant garbage dump mocking humanity's sinfulness found inside a giant black hole over Antartica gradually consuming the planet of SJ. There are other SMT nods in TMS, but no others specific to SJ.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, what I like of the change of season... perfect excuse for some hot chocolate...

Enjoy the hot chocolate. I don't mind it, but I never manage to finish mine, too much liquid for me or something. A few sips and I'm good.

Just found out about the "Latinx in gaming" segment of The Game Awards and that's the real reason it sucked. Because only Americans use a word that factually does not exist to refer to a group of people.

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's called the Cosmic Egg, which sounds weird, unless you know the Cosmic Eggs are the eleventh hour Macguffins necessary to radically reform the world in Strange Journey.

Wasn't aware of that, I just though Cosmic Egg was a cool name for a stadium.

21 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Speaking of anime studios, did you guys know that trigger helped work on fates? There’s an interesting bit of trivia for ya

Would explain why Fates has the nicest looking cutscenes.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Would explain why Fates has the nicest looking cutscenes.

No the cutscenes were done by studio anima. Trigger helped work on the Live2D stuff Y’know for the confession scenes and the face petting.

Edited by Ottservia

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Just found out about the "Latinx in gaming" segment of The Game Awards and that's the real reason it sucked. Because only Americans use a word that factually does not exist to refer to a group of people.

"Latinx in gaming"? Either Latex has become a genre of characters of games or they badly misspelled something here.

Another interesting factoid for y’all madhouse actually helped work on awakening. They basically helped design some of the generic background characters and npcs. I think they also did some armor design as well.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

No the cutscenes were done by studio anima. Trigger helped work on the Live2D stuff Y’know for the confession scenes and the face petting.

Ohhhhhhhh.

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

"Latinx in gaming"? Either Latex has become a genre of characters of games or they badly misspelled something here.

"Latinx" is a term invented by the white gringos (gringo is what a lot of Hispanics like to call Americans, I usually don't say it but "Latinx" pisses me off so the Hispanic in me is coming out) who are trying to be woke and think that the Spanish language needs "helping" because it's a gendered-language. They use "Latinx" as an all-inclusive term except they fail to take into account that "Latino" and "Latina" are all-inclusive depending on the context and that "Latinx" completely fucks with with the linguistics. By replacing the "a" or "o" at the end of "Latino/a" with an x, the implications are that you can do this to other words, which just completely destroys the language. You cannot add an x to "amigos, nosotros", etc.

Most Hispanics don't know "Latinx" exists and the few that do despise it. There are a few Hispanics who use it but these are usually people who don't actually speak Spanish, they just simply happen to be of Hispanic descent.