Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Cool.

Let's hope they don't bring back any previous characters because *remembers how the Sky characters' portraits looked like in Crossbell*

.....yeah.

I have other reasons for not wanting to bring back any previous character....

Namely: Character bloat and the fact that i don't wanna see any CS characters anymore xD

But the character bloat has been very bad after Ao.

Just return to 4 + 2 guests per chapter ala Crossbell or 2 + 2 ala Sky.

No more 20 man parties pls, this isn't a SRPG

Edited by Father Shrimpas

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Father Shrimpas said:

What is giving me hope however is that they used the word ''Heroine''

Are they finally ditching the Harem system? Please tell that they are doing that...

Oh I would recommend not getting your hopes up. Just because pessimism is the order of the day.

Meanwhile, when it comes to FF representation, 7 getting the overwhelming love is rather telling of how they rate it's success as opposed to others, no to mention it had by far the most spinoffs, as well as being part of the only tilelime linking multiple mainline games beyond Gilgamesh (I'm forgetting how canon that is mind, but 10 is treated as a prequel on another planet.). Course, I haven't finished Disk 3 of it and my love of 4, 6 and 9 are recorded elsewhere.

Edited by Dayni

...So apparently there's a FE leak....

Remake next year

African/indo Emblem in 2022 or something

Very probably Fake, since 4chan and all.

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Oh I would recommend not getting your hopes up. Just because pessimism is the order of the day.

Hope dies the last xD

1 minute ago, Father Shrimpas said:

...So apparently there's a FE leak....

Remake next year

IS that where the Gothic emblem leaks started?

6 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

What does that even mean?

6 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

4chan

Accountability stat: 0.

7 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

..So apparently there's a FE leak....

Remake next year

Yeah, this is literally just Gothic Emblem leaks but again.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Fire Emblem with an African/Indian aesthetic.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think it means set in an African/Indonesian setting as opposed to European. (Or Japanese in the case of Fates.)

54 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'd say the closest one is Dragon Quest 11. I've seen quite a lot of praise for that game on the TL, with many saying it's a "must for JRPG fans" (which petty as it sounds, has kinda pushed me away because i know Dragon Quest isn't really my thing).

There is the fairly long demo you could try.

Although I get what you saying. For a time, when people were saying "Nintendo doesn't do HD graphics! They should!" And then they showed Smash 4 and I was like eww! at the HD visuals. I got over it in time, but thats visuals, tastes in games as a whole is different I understand.

It has been awhile since the West got a new mainline DQ. IX was a DS game that didn't exactly hit it big here I think, despite Reggie Fils-Aime being forced to promote the game to try to expand the franchise's market aboard. DQX was a Wii/Wii U/Switch MMORPG and never left Japan because there was the assumption it wouldn't sell here.

XI could be considered a rediscovery of of the franchise by the West, though various ports, such as the DS Zenithia Trilogy and 3DS ports of VII and VIII have kept the mainline games floating around in the background.

“Spriggan”

Screen-Shot-2020-12-20-at-5-16-39-PM.png

You summoned me?

Not sure if this is an accurate depiction of one. Here is a demonic compendium entry from SMT on them.:

"A type of ugly faerie from Cornwall, in southwest England.
They can be seen around ancient ruins, protecting the treasures buried within. Normally they are tiny, but in a fight they transform into huge giants. According to local legends, spriggans are actually the ghosts of giants slain long ago."

Sharing on the slight chance it has any deeper meaning.

“Xipha”

I was reminded of an XCX indigens species. Looking it up, "Xiphos" is a form of shortsword from Classical Greece and also used in the scientific name for swordfish.

“Alignment Flames” system in which your character’s three alignments (“Lawful,” “Gray,” and “Chaotic”) fluctuate depending on your play style, influencing various statuses, allies and adversaries, and even scenario developments."

The game looks too happy for this. Not sure I could see having to murder your friends after choosing a side. Will it be watered down? Will there be thematic incongruence where things are cheery one moment and "Sorry not sorry I had to stab you in the back with this sword because we disagree" the next?

An alignment system was something i wasn't expecting for this series either. This could in theory ditch the Bonding Events that people have been......vocal about because if whole events end up changing, then writing Bonding Events for each and every scenario might be too much. Also how the fuck does this work in an overarching series like Trails? SMT can do it fine because each game is it's own thing but with Trails, this would have to mean that certain alignments are canon and others are not. So far, this is the most concerning thing.

When I started the Triangulum story of Devil Survivor 2 a few days ago, the game offers an optional explanation of what happened. The Septentrione story which precedes Triangulum has five endings. Triangulum is a direct sequel to Septentrione.

So, how did it address the five possible outcomes? It chose an impossible sixth ending, which is mostly one particular route. However, it blended in another route as well, though it's more like two routes, considering the second ending it integrated is almost incontestably a better version of a third ending. The game still excluded 2/5s endings altogether from this, for reasons that'd be readily understandable for someone who understands the game. But, they tried to hammer out a compromise.

Also, not all SMTs are wholly independent of each other.

• SMT2 happens after the SMT1, wherein its silent protagonist sided with Neutral and was later killed.
  • SMTIV: Apocalypse starts shortly after Flynn the protagonist of the original SMTIV (IV and IV: Apo are separate games) chose to side with Neutral, but Apocalypse prevents the IV Neutral ending from actually happening. And because Flynn doesn't make it happen, the Apocalypse protagonist Nanashi is forced onto his journey.
  • The SMTIV Apo DLC boss battle wherein the protagonists of previous games join up, has it stated the Demi-Fiend, the hero of SMTIII: Nocturne, died during the final battle exclusive to the True Demon Ending.

Nocturne introduced the Amala Network, a multiverse, and thusly all endings possibly happened some-where over the dimensional plane! But when in doubt, Neutral is assumable as the "preferred/canon" ending in SMT. Nocturne itself aside, the True Demon Ending is too edgy awesome to not love, so the hype around it goes.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

I think it means set in an African/Indonesian setting as opposed to European. (Or Japanese in the case of Fates.)

Indonesia is Southeast Asia. "Indo" likely means India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, which alongside Bhutan and Nepal, comprise South Asia. Different regions.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Indo" likely means India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, which alongside Bhutan and Nepal, comprise South Asia

That makes a lot more sense.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The game looks too happy for this. Not sure I could see having to murder your friends after choosing a side. Will it be watered down? Will there be thematic incongruence where things are cheery one moment and "Sorry not sorry I had to stab you in the back with this sword because we disagree" the next?

knowing Trails, your choices there matter less than Fire Emblem and any choice will be non-canon next game anyway

That, it can even make the worst mass murderer a saint or something because ''not really hist fault'' or some equally stupid reason.

Worse than ''dragon mind wash of FE'' i tell you

so definetly no murdering friends xD

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

More Claude?? PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR

More best boi never hurts 😉

Edited by Father Shrimpas

15 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

More Claude? Yes please!

14 minutes ago, Benice said:

More Claude? OH NO

The duality of man.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The game looks too happy for this. Not sure I could see having to murder your friends after choosing a side. 

The problem is also that Cold Steel has made it super clear that Falcom does not have the balls to kill off any character who was ever playable at any point. Killing off characters doesn't necessarily make something good and I've gone on record saying how I don't like it when a long-term party member is permanently removed from the party through death or otherwise, even if the story justifies it, but I can't see Falcom going for a story where you might end up murdering your friends.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, not all SMTs are wholly independent of each other.

I see. Then I suppose Trails could pull something similar although Trails cares way more about it's continuity than SMT does. 

We shall see.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think I figured out why it is I like Octopath’s combat but don’t enjoy other turn based rpgs’ combat.

Why?

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

Honestly I could never take the title "Trails of Cold Steel" seriously because I'm always reminded of this.

e2e.jpg

Not that I've played them, but the games are nothing like this, right?

Apart from "a special power" not really and that alone doesn't make something edgy.

Although the marketing for Cold Steel 4 was on some shit, because the actual tone of game ended up being the exact opposite of what the marketing was showing.

Anyways yes, the joke on the title has been made a lot.

38 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Honestly I could never take the title "Trails of Cold Steel" seriously because I'm always reminded of this.

e2e.jpg

Not that I've played them, but the games are nothing like this, right?

So that wasn't just me then.

Good to know.

1 hour ago, Father Shrimpas said:

More best boi never hurts 😉

It does when he’s a blight upon the narrative and not even that good of a character on his own.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Why?

Because the system with boosts and breaks means you actually have to put some level of thought into encounters to end them quickly, unlike other ones I’ve played where it’s just what’s the strongest attack? Cool, spam it until they die while occasionally messing with stats/status effects and healing the two times they’re necessary, but encounters take quite a while anyway. That’s probably the only reason the random encounters don’t bother me that much.

59 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

e2e.jpg

This a joke making fun of Sonic “””””OCs””””” (I don’t like that term) right? This isn’t something someone actually made to be taken seriously right?

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Because the system with boosts and breaks means you actually have to put some level of thought into encounters to end them quickly, unlike other ones I’ve played where it’s just what’s the strongest attack?

Ok I know you've acknowledged that you haven't really played much but plenty of turn-based RPGs do what you just described. 

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok I know you've acknowledged that you haven't really played much but plenty of turn-based RPGs do what you just described. 

If only I had the patience to sit through the early game of that 😉

Don’t worry I’m not faulting the genre for that.