• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Christmas dinner was marvelous yesterday.

Big compliment to my aunt for being a superior cook.

Technically christmas is over for me now.

Anyways since there are multiple people here who have play(ed) Octopath Traveler, I might do a LP of this, since I'm totally lost without help.

People could watch it and give me tips.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

mNhSs8W.gif

Generally one would not want their story-based game to take place in a dream unless it really makes sense in context. I doubt this is Inception

It's stated outright from the start (the Japanese title of the game even). You're shown Frederic Francois Chopin laying in bed, eyes closed, on a dark, rainy night as life ebbs away (no coughing of blood thankfully, the game doesn't mention the cause was likely at least in part from tuberculosis).

Why they did this, no reason other than the game's director wanting to spread greater awareness of the Polish piano perfectionist in a colorful fantasy setting. The dream is the means by which that fantasy world was made to exist. It's hardly relevant to the main story. You get a few snippets of biographical information about Chopin's life when each chapter ends with a composition of his being played, but thats about it on the composer. The game's story isn't some elaborate biography about Chopin's life, the adventure isn't symbolic of Frederic's passions and regrets as interpreted by the game's director.

I'd say thats to its detriment actually. Since a more serious tone would be more depressing, but as is the story winds up being mostly a forgettable, simplistic, kid-friendly JRPG plot. Allegretto the typical sword boy outshines Frederic as the male lead at points. It's a happy and lighthearted (though not comedic) game overall, even the ending finds a way to weave some joy into it.

5 minutes ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Anyways since there are multiple people here who have play(ed) Octopath Traveler, I might do a LP of this, since I'm totally lost without help.

Not sure if the game is for you, it was made by a subset of Square. And I'm aware of your total inability to derive joy from that company.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I don't know, I think the whole...

Spoiler

Question about whether it all a dream, or in spite of it the world had become a real thing of its own... and Chopin deciding its the former and you have to fight him as he plans to "unmake" it...

Was a very interesting plot direction.

Yes, I have never enjoyed one single game by Square Enix, but I think it's because of me for not taking the time to understand the battle system. That's why I would like to play it here to gain some tips from the people here to understand it which would also go for other games. I have Octopath Traveler in my library, so it would be a missed opportunity, if I never tried it out.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I don't know, I think the whole...

Reveal hidden contents

Question about whether it all a dream, or in spite of it the world had become a real thing of its own... and Chopin deciding its the former and you have to fight him as he plans to "unmake" it...

Was a very interesting plot direction.

The ending is a little odd, why did eternal recurrence show up there at the last minute? Nietzsche likely hadn't learned to read and write at the time Chopin died. 

The ending is Chopin-centric, but between the two ends of the game, Frederic, the creator of the entire world, is by no means the focal point of everything. Count Waltz isn't symbolic of big bad Prussia, Russia, and Austria that carved up his Poland; Polka is compared to his sister once (though we haven't a clue if they were truly close IRL), but thats as far as that idea goes. Allegretto is no younger Chopin (mind, he never got old, he died before he was 40), and do tell me if you find a deep meaning behind Beat, Salsa and her twin sister (who I preferred) whose name I forget.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The ending is a little odd, why did eternal recurrence show up there at the last minute? Nietzsche likely hadn't learned to read and write at the time Chopin died. 

The ending is Chopin-centric, but between the two ends of the game, Frederic, the creator of the entire world, is by no means the focal point of everything. Count Waltz isn't symbolic of big bad Prussia, Russia, and Austria that carved up his Poland; Polka is compared to his sister once (though we haven't a clue if they were truly close IRL), but thats as far as that idea goes. Allegretto is no younger Chopin (mind, he never got old, he died before he was 40), and do tell me if you find a deep meaning behind Beat, Salsa and her twin sister (who I preferred) whose name I forget.

Exactly. The player is introduced to the world as it being Chopin's dying dream, but it starts to put that into doubt as things don't start to add up from what you expect of it. Since either Chopin has an active imagination as well as prophetic for the anachronic terms, or something else is going on. The fact he's not at the centre point of what is supposed to be his own dream...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I guess it's better to continue the LP Rune Factory 4 before anyways.

As for Super Thracia I'm not in the mood to do it all alone tbh.

My ranking of played (main) Kirby games:

1. Robobot 
  2. Return To Dreamland
  3. Triple Deluxe
  4. Dreamland 3
  5. Dreamland 2
  6. Superstar
  7. Adventure (NES)
  8. Dreamland

If I had friends with me, I would rank Return To Dreamland as #1 naturally, but I find Robobot a more fun single player game.

I really hope Switch will get virtual console for 64 because I would like to play 64 so badly.

Edited by Jules Necrofantasia

Interesting, I didn't know that Robobot introduced Kirby Fighters. Interesting because I just started the sequel for Switch yesterday, and honestly, I'm really terrible at this. It's funny that minigames like this and Clash (the Smash Bros likish game) from Triple Deluxe became "real" games. And Fighters even has a gacha mechanic from what I've seen, at least ingame transactions can be made.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

...I know I shouldn't start another LP, but...I am so tempted to LP a Pokemon Crystal Nuzlocke...

Its hard not to get inspired by Jaiden animation's Nuzlocke videos, and I almost started this before...well I guess I did start the run, my original plan was to do a smaller thing here, but...well... I started to roleplay, and that isn't a small thing to convey, but I didn't want to start another LP, but...

Its just so tempting...I mean she even named one of her Pokes the same, and I want to share that story...

hmm...

How close are you to finishing your current LP?

I would love to LP a game sometime, but I see so many people all losing the motivations for their LP.

1 hour ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

People could watch it and give me tips.

Well, I did beat the super final boss at the end, so I sUpPoSe I know a thing or two. 😎

What do you mean I used someone else’s strategy? Do you know how cheap that boss is?? All those summons needing to be killed and once they are dead you have to break the boss before it moves again or they will all just come back and the cleric divine skill but it’s AoE...

Yes, I have never enjoyed one single game by Square Enix, but I think it's because of me for not taking the time to understand the battle system. That's why I would like to play it here to gain some tips from the people here to understand it which would also go for other games. I have Octopath Traveler in my library, so it would be a missed opportunity, if I never tried it out.

Oh you do? I was going to recommend the demo but that’s cool! Now pick Tressa.

——

So I did go back and watch Ophelia’s story in the in-game journal since I kinda want to actually know what the plot is about since I did just beat the super final boss. All of her story scenes took me a little under two hours, which was longer than I was expecting. I’m going to look at all the other characters as well, and then try and find a good video on the lore because the lore books in the boss rush room are definitely about some plot elements from the stories and I know my first time through, when I actually read them, I was blown away.

Octopath Traveler was one of my first Switch games actually since I saw it for a price of about 30 € (often goes on sale). The nostalgic artstyle rised my interest in this game. I chosed Ophilia's story, but I couldn't beat first boss because it couldn't be taken down within like 50 turns. That's when I quitted the game...

Anyways how long is this game?

A blind LP of a Switch game which is not Fire Emblem shouldn't consume too much of my freetime.

The alternative is to make a post (screenshot) whenever I get stuck, so this be just a question-answer thing.

Rune Factory 4 has the advantage that the length can be decided by the player.

Alisa on #8 makes me happy although it also surprised me a bit in a positive way. Like her honestly even more in III and IV. Besides Fie she's she most developed female original Class VII member considering her personal backround.

59 minutes ago, Sooks said:

How close are you to finishing your current LP?

Well, at the rate the Awakening on is going...a long time. That one has had a lot of technical difficulties, and writing about that game's story, and god forbid the supports, is draining. I have already felt the need to use both of the following reactions multiple times, and I suspect I will need to do so again...

Spoiler

d5e.jpg

Plus I will get back to the blind Berwick Saga run eventually as well...

59 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I would love to LP a game sometime, but I see so many people all losing the motivations for their LP.

You might as well give it a go. It is fun, although it takes more time and effort than you would think.

6 hours ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

I would recommend Octopath, and I'm not someone who enjoys JRPGs usually. I find them to be tedious 99% of the time. Never could get into the classics, such as Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger. But Octopath's fighting system is really fun, which for me made all the difference.

5 hours ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Octopath Traveler was one of my first Switch games actually since I saw it for a price of about 30 € (often goes on sale). The nostalgic artstyle rised my interest in this game. I chosed Ophilia's story, but I couldn't beat first boss because it couldn't be taken down within like 50 turns. That's when I quitted the game...

It's a pretty common joke in the comment sections of extended Octopath music that it's not really extended because bosses take just as long. That being said, I find it difficult to believe that the very first boss could take that long. Didn't you take advantage of the break system?

If you play again, I would recommend Cyrus as your starter. Cyrus has an ability that lets him reveal one enemy weakness at the start of a battle, and he can learn Analyze to reveal even more weaknesses, so you don't have to fire attacks blindly at the enemy in hopes of finding their weaknesses. His damage is also far greater than Ophilia's, which should make what fights he has to face on his own end faster. He's a good choice for a beginner, I think.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

I can't say I blame them. LPing requires effort and is time-consuming. I find it fun enough to have done multiple, but I'm also lucky enough to have the time for it.

5 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Plus I will get back to the blind Berwick Saga run eventually as well...

I hope so, I was enjoying that one. I felt a little bad when I started my own one barely a month after yours. I didn't mean to steal your thunder or anything, but I had been aching to LP Berwick for a while.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I would recommend Octopath, and I'm not someone who enjoys JRPGs usually. I find them to be tedious 99% of the time. Never could get into the classics, such as Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger. But Octopath's fighting system is really fun, which for me made all the difference.

It's a pretty common joke in the comment sections of extended Octopath music that it's not really extended because bosses take just as long. That being said, I find it difficult to believe that the very first boss could take that long. Didn't you take advantage of the break system?

bxQThzp.jpg

I can only assume, but isn't the first boss just a survival?

Considering it's a first boss I can't imagine it can take like 30 hits as it was the case when I played it.

If not, I will take the suggestion and do Cyrus's story.

bxQThzp.jpg

Nope. You can and have to beat that boss.

Considering it's a first boss I can't imagine it can take like 30 hits as it was the case when I played it.

Well, Octopath boss fights can get long. I personally don't think it's such a terrible flaw, but yeah. These are no three hit deals. Doesn't help that Ophilia's initial damage output is garbage, being a designated healer and all. There's ways to improve it (this game's characters are highly customizable), but well, not in time for the first boss.

Cyrus's first boss should probably take at least a little less time, his damage being as good as it is.

Out of curiousity, did you avoid random encounters? In both my runs I was at level 5 when I faced the first boss.

34 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Pixel Speech Bubble Clocks | Redbubble

mood

mood

Beaten Meta Knight's story mode.

Now time for the final and "true" challenge, the True Arena.

Rage forecasted.

42 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Nope. You can and have to beat that boss.

Well, Octopath boss fights can get long. I personally don't think it's such a terrible flaw, but yeah. These are no three hit deals. Doesn't help that Ophilia's initial damage output is garbage, being a designated healer and all. There's ways to improve it (this game's characters are highly customizable), but well, not in time for the first boss.

Cyrus's first boss should probably take at least a little less time, his damage being as good as it is.

Alright, I will play Cyrus's story then!

I was level 4 for that boss.

8 hours ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Anyways how long is this game?

I got every character, did all eight stories, every side quest and every optional job shrine and the super boss at the end plus bosh rush and I have 100 hours clocked in (more but that’s because I watched Ophilia’s story).

Do note that the game is a bit grindy, but if you do what I did for the four stories and grind up your main party and then switch a character out when you’re finished with their chapter for a character you don’t use as much, and repeat this process with your other two replaceable party members they should end up fine and you won’t have to grind that much.

8 hours ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

The alternative is to make a post (screenshot) whenever I get stuck, so this be just a question-answer thing.

I’m down!

4 hours ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

It's fun even if way too easy.

Kirby in a nutshell, from what I hear.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I couldn’t have said it better myself.

When you’re using just Ophelia you have to devote equally as much time to not dying. I think that’s what he meant.

If you play again, I would recommend Cyrus as your starter. Cyrus has an ability that lets him reveal one enemy weakness at the start of a battle, and he can learn Analyze to reveal even more weaknesses, so you don't have to fire attacks blindly at the enemy in hopes of finding their weaknesses. His damage is also far greater than Ophilia's, which should make what fights he has to face on his own end faster. He's a good choice for a beginner, I think.

This is good reasoning, and Cyrus is one of my favorites, at least top four since he made it into my main team, so I say go for it. Analyze does make him really beginner friendly now that I think about it.

I can't say I blame them. LPing requires effort and is time-consuming. I find it fun enough to have done multiple, but I'm also lucky enough to have the time for it.

Heh, I definitely have a lot of time lying around... hm...

3 hours ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

bxQThzp.jpg

Oh, no every boss fight you have to kill the boss (or capture it if you want to, with some optional bosses).

Did you use Ophilia’s insanely poweful light magic attack or were using a staff attack? And of course, boosting and breaking. I would be very surprised if that boss isn’t weak to light.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I got every character, did all eight stories, every side quest and every optional job shrine and the super boss at the end plus bosh rush and I have 100 hours clocked in (more but that’s because I watched Ophilia’s story).

Do note that the game is a bit grindy, but if you do what I did for the four stories and grind up your main party and then switch a character out when you’re finished with their chapter for a character you don’t use as much, and repeat this process with your other two replaceable party members they should end up fine and you won’t have to grind that much.

I’m down!

I could start it once I've completed Kirby Robobot.

And this sounds like good way for just doing the game once.

Kirby in a nutshell, from what I hear.

Main game is easy, but the bossbattle mode mainly isn't, if you want to complete their games 100%.

Oh, no every boss fight you have to kill the boss (or capture it if you want to, with some optional bosses).

Did you use Ophilia’s insanely poweful light magic attack or were using a staff attack? And of course, boosting and breaking. I would be very surprised if that boss isn’t weak to light.

I don't remember.

Just looked up the savefile; it has been exactly two years today when I played the game the last time.