• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

As someone who didn’t know of it before the launch controversy, where did the main hype for the game even stem from?

You get to be a Punk who is cyber!

Or...Something. I also had barely heard of it, actually.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Zelda as a series is overrated, tbh.

That doesn't mean I dislike it. It's just that I think it doesn't deserve as much praise as it gets as a series. BotW is one of my favorite games I've played, but it doesn't deserve a perfect score by any means if you ask me.

My long-asserted dogma concerning the Zelda franchise is that it is mild.

• Want puzzles? There are games with more complex ones.
  • Want action? Zelda is far from a Bayonetta May Souls.
  • Want exploration? Breath of the Wild and Wind Waker deserve mention here, but for the rest, you could find better.

But, Zelda, for many, is pleasantly mild. I'm bad at action games, I don't want the intense stuff, I want more substance than pure peaceful exploration, and whilst I like puzzles, I'm not sure if I'd be any good with the old Professor Layton franchise.

Narratively, they could step it up. Though not everyone wants JRPG turgidness, light and simple is readily digestible, and that ain't bad. American beer tastes changed from British ale to German lager not solely because the German immigrants were numerous, lager is significantly lighter in flavor than ale -so I've read in passing.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I'd say it's a bit less praised than it seems. It's often regarded as part of Nintendo's big three but it does feel like there is a big gap between Mario/Pokemon and Zelda.

Zelda doesn't sell that well in Japan either I think, I know it's a market of like 140 million compared to the United States alone having 310+ million in the West, but that doesn't count for everything. Maybe Japan considers Zelda the Big Fourth and Kirby is the Big Third.

As a recent factoid on this, Age of Calamity has been outsold every week in Japan since its release by this.:

momotaro.original.jpg

Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! A railroad-themed (dentetsu means "railroad", densetsu, which almost the same in English, is ironically the Japanese for "legend" in "Legend of Zelda") Monopoly-like game developed by Konami, yes, the modern pachinko company. It has gone so far as to cross 1 million sales, sales that are 100% All-Nippon.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I'd say though, I think Zelda is probably the purest fantasy adventure video game franchise out there. You could argue the same about Dragon Quest, I suppose, but it's not the same imo.

JRPGs are more of a niche genre because they're longer, not so much pick-and-play, and have very wordy stories. Maybe the Japanese are more accepting of the genre, they certainly are of the DQ franchise, but for Western mass audiences, JRPGs can't compare.

Japan might be more tolerant of older RPGs than Western gamers I heard once. So it was said in conversation wherein someone stated Japan actually prefers Earthbound Zero that Famicom/NES game to the GBA's Mother 3, that doyen of forbidden fruits for a cult of Western gamers.

52 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Kid Icarus Uprising is an underrated gem. If you haven't played it, do yourself a favor and play it.

The dialogue alone is spectacular.

True is a good light and breezy story, and perhaps it offers an idea of what a Zelda with better plot would be for you. Although, Zelda does try to be not so self-parodying as KIU. Bottomless Disney resources can't account for all of Pixar's 3D animation movie dominance, theres something to the general formula that works I would think, and KIU I suppose learned from it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Bottomless Disney resources can't account for all of Pixar's 3D animation movie dominance, theres something to the general formula that works I would think, and KIU I suppose learned from it.

If we're looking at the Golden Age of Pixar, sure. But after Cars 2, Pixar's quality has been on a downward slope and never fully recovered. They still dominate, because Disney, but if a comparison is being made here, then we have to look at a specific age and not the whole of it.

...I'll admit, I don't really get your Pixar comparison here.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Japan might be more tolerant of older RPGs than Western gamers I heard once. So it was said in conversation wherein someone stated Japan actually prefers Earthbound Zero that Famicom/NES game to the GBA's Mother 3, that doyen of forbidden fruits for a cult of Western gamers.

If I recall correctly, most of Mother's notoriety in Japan has to do more with Shisegato Itoi himself than the games. As in, "Hey, look, Mr. Itoi made a video game, neat." kind of notoriety.

Of course, outside Japan, specially in the US, you have that "Forbidden Fruit" angle due to lack of official releases for two thirds of the series (until the first game finally got one), and that the first two games were basically "Suburban Not-quite-America" for the setting, which would naturally appeal to Americans.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

@Benice That one also didn't work. Maybe it has to be the same emulator?

Hm. If you really care that much, I use mGBA, and it should work for that. (And I don't think I can transfer that save to your emulator system, sadly.)

57 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If we're looking at the Golden Age of Pixar, sure. But after Cars 2, Pixar's quality has been on a downward slope and never fully recovered. They still dominate, because Disney, but if a comparison is being made here, then we have to look at a specific age and not the whole of it.

...I'll admit, I don't really get your Pixar comparison here.

Ignore it then. I dislike Disney actually, I'm not a fan of the stuff at all, haven't seen a film in decades from the company, and intentionally walk out of the room and tune my ears out if someone else is watching one and it isn't an impolite thing to do.😅 The attempted point was if that if there is a general vibe that good children's 3D animation has, and I do not know if there is, then from afar, it would seem like KIU has it.

I shouldn't have said this in this first place, my mistake.😣

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Path of Radiance doesn't feel like it's 30 chapters tbh. Probably because you can just breeze through it.

Unless chapters 20-30 just ramp up.

PoR, in my opinion, is probably one of the slowest, boring FE games out there. God, its terrible, but I'm glad you're enjoying it!

To me, RD is the superior version, easily. 

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I dislike Disney actually, I'm not a fan of the stuff at all, haven't seen a film in decades from the company, and intentionally walk out of the room and tune my ears out if someone else is watching one and it isn't an impolite thing to do.😅

Ah, I see.

Although just to clarify, when you say you dislike Disney, are you specifically referring to Disney or do you include the properties they bought later down the line in that statement (Star Wars, Marvel, etc)?

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The attempted point was if that if there is a general vibe that good children's 3D animation has, and I do not know if there is, then from afar, it would seem like KIU has it.

Ah, ok.

15 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

PoR, in my opinion, is probably one of the slowest, boring FE games out there. God, its terrible, but I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Turning off animations and hitting fast forward does make it go faster but the latter can only be done on emulation.

Honestly though, I gotta say, I'm 17 chapters in and  PoR's gameplay is.......the most middle-of-the-road gameplay in the entire series. It's not amazing but it's not awful either. It's just right in the middle.

Laguz meter sucks tho. Only reason it ain't super detrimental is because PoR is pretty easy but it's basically a worse version of FE1-3 Manaketes transformation.

Edited by Armagon

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Laguz meter sucks tho. Only reason it ain't super detrimental is because PoR is pretty easy but it's basically a worse version of FE1-3 Manaketes transformation.

Are you using the Demi Band?

I made a sporcle quiz. Huh.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Hm. If you really care that much, I use mGBA, and it should work for that. (And I don't think I can transfer that save to your emulator system, sadly.)

I was just saying that might be the case. I could if I want to, but I’d rather iron man hard mode up to that point.