Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Honestly, the Dawn Brigade as a whole is pretty underwhelming, both from a character standpoint and a performance standpoint.

The lack of Support Convos hurts the new characters the most while in terms of combat, the Dawn Brigade gets outclassed in every way by the returning characters. The exception to this is Micaiah, who has a niche as an Armor slayer and the new Laguz characters, because Laguz (even if meter still sucks).

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

That moment when you start reading and suddenly it’s been hours and 180 pages. Oops.

Oh well, Harry Potter is a timeless story.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Honestly, I'm not seeing it.

Linde - Fire Emblem Wiki

Maybe mid-teens... but certainly not a kid.

The slave market where you recruit her is referred to as one for children and looking around at them, Marth says something about children.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

You guys don't go to beaches, do you?

It’s not really about being at the beach here....

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd mention about it being par for the course for seasonal themes... but we all know the meltdown that happened because of Bridal Festival Sanaki...

I don’t!

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Honestly, the way I see it, age doesn't actually exist for fictional characters, especially for anime style ones. It's much more about what they look like rather than how old they are (and even that can be exaggerated). Case in point: Lyn is 15 in the Japanese version but 18 in NA and it changes literally nothing because a fictional character's specific age is just an arbitrary number creator tacked on, if they do it all.

Linde functions as a child in the story though.

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Linde.png

🤔

I don't see how she's a kid

People overblow the whole fanservice thing, and even though i don't think fanservice really has a place in FE, due to the nature of the series, at the end of the day it's fiction.

Even if it's aimed at a certain crowd (which i doubt most of the time), better that crowd stick to fiction.

The switch localization.

3 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Linde doesn't look like a child to me, but I am completely opposed to the idea that, just because it's fiction, it's okay. Fiction or no, appealing to certain audiences with art like that is unacceptable in my mind.

Maybe shadow dragon changed it...

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You couldn't span the strongest Artes in Berseria anyway.

Really? If set up the right way I could. 

The others simply require some strategy at least.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Honestly, the Dawn Brigade as a whole is pretty underwhelming, from a performance standpoint.

This isnt a surprise. Aran has the best chance, as being 3 stat focused makes him actually pretty good considering RD engine. Other than that, they are all bench warmers.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The slave market where you recruit her is referred to as one for children and looking around at them, Marth says something about children.

Tbf, a lot of young characters get refered to as children in fantasy stories for some reason. Even if they aren't actually children.

Usually it's in an insulting way.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Maybe shadow dragon changed it...

Linda_TCG.gif

Nope. She has never looked like a child. This is from the original TCG btw.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Aran has the best chance, as being 3 stat focused makes him actually pretty good considering RD engine

Even then, Taureno is right there.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Tbf, a lot of young characters get refered to as children in fantasy stories for some reason. Even if they aren't actually children.

Usually it's in an insulting way.

The more y’know I guess. I read it as her literally being a child, I suppose that’s on me.

Linda_TCG.gif

Nope. She has never looked like a child. This is from the original TCG btw.

Oh, that’s... a tall child. xD

Edited by Sooks

An entire of one of RD’s factions are bad? There isn’t one who could be considered good?

Well technically no, there are good Dawn Brigade characters. It's just most of them are returning characters from Path of Radiance. The only members of the Dawn Brigade that are both new characters and at least decent are Micaiah and the Laguz.

Oh and Black Knight but he's a special case.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The more y’know I guess. I read it as her literally being a child, I suppose that’s on me.

Marth was referring in general, since there were a significant number of children anyway.

Also, keep in mind that back then the concept of teenagehood didn't exist. You were a child, then an adult. What determined the change would depend. Puberty, gaining a job, stuff like that. So even the "scrawny brats" as that guy put it or Marth using "young boy" when describing Linde's disguise could still mean as old as 15, for example.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Why did Tales of Graces and tales of Berseria remove the TP cost from artes? I personally liked this aspect of the game, as it makes it so it's not always spam strongest artes because they can be strapped with a high cost. 

I mean, if Yuri could just Azure Edge + Azure Storm and win for free, what would be the point? It wouldnt be any fun, in my opinion.

Nerf the strongest conventional Artes then and make it less a vertical divide than a horizontal one based on what the enemy is more vulnerable to and what comboes better in that particular moment. Nerf Yuri a little, make his attacks less painful.

TP, as I pointed out before, can feel limiting. If a melee character like Judith or Regal or a hybrid like Anise needs frequent Artes usage to be fun to play as, then TP is a mistake if the rate of consumption necessary to make a character fluid greatly exceeds their ability to generate TP. 

I’m not wholly against the concept of MP/TP/SP in RPGs. However, thinking on Xenoblade makes me think it is worth asking if a consumable stat that is used for the performance of various attacks and replenishes naturally on a limited basis and instead is mostly restored via consumables and healing spots, contributes to the game in question. I’m not saying abolish the stat in all games henceforth, or go back the RPGs of yesteryear and interrogate each and every one of them. This is but a modicum of critical thinking for video games.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Even then, Taureno is right there.

Spoiler

He's kinda absent for a really important DB chapter later on, and Aran is in a better class...

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

An entire of one of RD’s factions are bad? There isn’t one who could be considered good?

Because of the way the game is structured, yeah, pretty much. People say that Jill is really good...But I honestly don't see it. The good ones, (Nailah, BK, Tauroneo) are absent during a lot of missions, soooo...

Somebody here played Touhou Gensou Wanderer IIRC, right? How is that? I have a bunch of eShop money still unspent but not many games I'm interested in getting, but since I've been on a bit of a Touhou streak, I thought maybe getting one of the games on Switch could be interesting.

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

Aran is in a better class...

If only Aran didn't suck.

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

People say that Jill is really good...But I honestly don't see it.

Jill is good because she's a Wyvern Knigt, a class that has never really been bad.

I've been advised not to recruit her and Zihark over to the Greil Mercenaries in Part 3 because doing so would cripple the Dawn Brigade.

I don't know about any of the Touhou games on the eShop other than Luna Nights. I looked into it after hearing some of the songs on YT and totally did not add another game to my backlog.

Looks like fun though. Short too, so it won't take up too much time when I get to it.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If only Aran didn't suck.

Hey now, my boy Aran is a decent unit.

Jill is good because she's a Wyvern Knigt, a class that has never really been bad.

I get that part-But I'd give her no more than a 3.5/5 as a unit, (Low bases, low availability) whereas people call her 5/5 a lot.

Aran's pretty bad, tbh. He makes for a good meatshield, but that's about it. Not worth the training if you ask me. There's other, better units who would benefit from the EXP.

JIll is a unit that needs a bit of love to get going. She's not ready-to-go like Haar is, but she's got great potential. I'll definitely be investing in her next time I play RD.

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nerf the strongest conventional Artes then and make it less a vertical divide than a horizontal one based on what the enemy is more vulnerable to and what comboes better in that particular moment. Nerf Yuri a little, make his attacks less painful.

TP, as I pointed out before, can feel limiting. If a melee character like Judith or Regal or a hybrid like Anise needs frequent Artes usage to be fun to play as, then TP is a mistake if the rate of consumption necessary to make a character fluid greatly exceeds their ability to generate TP. 

I’m not wholly against the concept of MP/TP/SP in RPGs. However, thinking on Xenoblade makes me think it is worth asking if a consumable stat that is used for the performance of various attacks and replenishes naturally on a limited basis and instead is mostly restored via consumables and healing spots, contributes to the game in question. I’m not saying abolish the stat in all games henceforth, or go back the RPGs of yesteryear and interrogate each and every one of them. This is but a modicum of critical thinking for video games.

Well Yuri is one of the fun to play characters though. And that's why you have Emerald Ring, Fairie Ring, etc. 

Dont nerf him, make the others better. Hes supposed to be strong and fast, with literally no flexibility in artes at all. I think his design is fine. That and he is combo centric. 

Well, in Judith's case, the games engine simply doesnt favor her cause the aerial combat is... wonky. 

The mages just need the ability that Xillia has and they are golden. The one that decreases magic CT for every spell used.

33 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

Somebody here played Touhou Gensou Wanderer IIRC, right? How is that? I have a bunch of eShop money still unspent but not many games I'm interested in getting, but since I've been on a bit of a Touhou streak, I thought maybe getting one of the games on Switch could be interesting.

Stardew Valley’s cheap and fun!

25 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I am really hooked. I was suppose to resume the next story of my queue, but I keep writing the one I started yesterday.

That good, eh? So, when are you sharing it?

——

Also, ignoring the investment if you don’t arena abuse like I suppose I did, Linde is better than Merric right? I mean she’s faster and has more skill than him and the same amount of defense.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Stardew Valley’s cheap and fun!

That's one of those game like Animal Crossing or something that's basically meant to be played continuously? Those sorts of games aren't really to my liking.

1 minute ago, Robert Stewart said:

That's one of those game like Animal Crossing or something that's basically meant to be played continuously? Those sorts of games aren't really to my liking.

What do you mean continuously? It’s not like Animal Crossing where you have to wait irl time not counting cheating if that’s what you mean.

Edited by Sooks

What do you mean continuously? It’s not like Animal Crossing where you have to wait irl time not counting cheating if that’s what you mean.

I think he means games without a set goal. Which is what Animal Crossing is.

Games like Stardew/SoS/Rune Factory have set goals at least.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That good, eh? So, when are you sharing it?

Eh, don't know if it's really that good...

Actually, this one I wouldn't mind sharing. At least what I have so far. Though after a point... well, maybe I could still.

For a certain point maybe, but it seems like at some point the point becomes just kinda to keep playing for the sake of keeping playing.

I don't like open world or open ended games in general. Metroidvanias are an somewhat of an exception, but those still have a fixed end point.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Stardew’s set goal is flimsy at best as far as being a set goal. Assuming I know what you’re referring to.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Eh, don't know if it's really that good...

Actually, this one I wouldn't mind sharing. At least what I have so far. Though after a point... well, maybe I could still.

Whatever you want to do. Always looking to learn, though!

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Stardew’s set goal is flimsy at best as far as being a set goal. Assuming I know what you’re referring to.

That's true for everything else I mentioned but it's not like Animal Crossing where there's no set goal at all.