• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

37 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For the Deutsche on this board, does this fill you with pride, or with some other feeling?:

luigi-mario-kart-tour.original.jpg

Pure and utter disgust and contempt.

So basically the same as any other gacha related image. Except for that extra sliver of disappointment, with it coming from Nintendo of all things.

15 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I used to watch more than that daily XD

Not anymore, but i used to be heavy watcher xD

I've never been much for shows in general. I've always prefered videogames. Found them more enticing. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Of the six animes that I've watched, half of them were on recommendation from a friend, two were due to Youtube recommendations spoiling critical parts of the plot and me being curious as to how the situation got there, and one was from Youtube recommending the opening to me. The latter is my absolute favorite, by the way. I can go through the whole list, if you're at all curious. It's not like they're 600 animes.

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Pure and utter disgust and contempt.

So basically the same as any other gacha related image. Except for that extra sliver of disappointment, with it coming from Nintendo of all things.

Oh, it's Mario Gacha. At first I thought it was that one cute game where you set up your own circuits at home. Bleh.

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, it's Mario Gacha. At first I thought it was that one cute game where you set up your own circuits at home. Bleh.

The other game is Mario Kart Home Circuit.

Edit: I don’t know why I felt like sharing this.

Edited by Sooks

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Please do! I actually am xD

Here we go, then.

- Another. When I was a kid, I was terrified of blood. The mere sight of blood, even fake blood in a game, was enough to scare the crap outta me. Then I just... sorta lost the phobia and jumped straight into watching this at the ripe age of 13-14 (somewhere around those years). It was dumb fun, not much else to it. I'll give it credit for taking the customary beach fanservice comic relief episode and making it cool by having a wholesome surprise at the end.

- School days. Shortly after Another, Youtube recommended me the ending to this. Those of you who know what it is will understand why I was curious as to how that came to happen. So I watched the anime.

Everyone was a terrible person and then some of them got what was coming to them. That's about it. If it had ended in the penultimate episode it would've been the most unmemorable thing in existence.

- Code Geass. My friend's first recommendation. He described it as the best anime he'd seen. I agreed, because the competition wasn't exactly stellar. I no longer agree, but it's pretty decent. The anime suffers from an aversion to killing characters comparable to that of Fates, and the pace is insanely fast due to its short length, and the fanservice is... probably mild by anime standards, but at times too much for me. But it's good, even great at times.

- Danganronpa. Yes, the anime. Never played the game. I don't remember it all that well anymore, but it was pretty good as well. Good mysteries, good characters. Fanservice, at times, but it was tolerable.

- Death Note. The biggest issue I had with this one was Light. I hated Light with a passion. A narcissist with delusions of grandeur that pretends he's God? Bah. I know it's intentional, but I had no fun watching the show constantly tell me that Light is a perfect human being.

Then again, L wasn't much better. And Misa was just obnoxious. Heck, the only ones I ever rooted for were the FBI chick and Light's father. The story was good, but hating most of the characters soured the experience a bit. It's telling that my favorite part was when Light was stuck in a cell with no memories of anything. Oh, and I quit in episode 25, like people often do.

- Evangelion. Another really popular one that my friend recommended to me. The best so far. Shinji was a really pitiable character. Really, most of them were. I don't think there was anyone that was truly hateable. Except Gendo, but Gendo was so over-the-top asshole that I couldn't help but love him, in a way. The "End of Evangelion" movie was by far the best part of this one, I'd say. Also, why does Pen Pen exist? I've genuinely never understood it.

- Paranoia Agent. Ruben can't count, he's actually watched seven animes. This one's the best of the bunch, for me. Probably because it's the least anime-ish of them. The creator, Satoshi Kon (perhaps may sound familiar to some), was better-known for his movies. He had some ideas that he could not fit into movies, so he took them and made a small anine with them. The result is a really bleak and brutal experience, following a bunch of characters and exploring why all of their lives are shit and why life sucks in general. I don't do it justice with this bad summary.

I find it to be excellent, but it's completely unlike the rest of the list, and really not what you'd expect when you hear the word "anime." It's a lot more grounded in reality than that.

- No Game No Life kinda...? Ruben still can't count, he watched 7.011 animes. Only one episode of this one. This is more what you'd call a generic anime, so to speak. It's about an unbearable, condescending, misogynistic pile of shit who enters the game world with his little loli sister that the anime loves to sexualize. They encounter this other waifu, and the protagonist makes it his life's goal for the episode to ruin her life as much as he possibly can. Then I stopped watching out of sheer disgust.

And there it is. Ruben's anime list. It's quite impressive, if I do say so myself. I bet none of you can watch more animes than me.

Did someone mentioned Evangelion? Ah yes, this is the best part...

What do you mean that didn't happen?

Anyway... I'm gonna say, for having mechas, Code Geass isn't the sort of anime I'd like to watch. Anything that has Manifest Destiny on steroids is an absolute No on my list. God knows which number Hispanics are... but certainly not the 1's. Those are absolutely the Native Americans, logically speaking.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Those of you who know what it is will understand why I was curious as to how that came to happen. So I watched the anime.

What came to happen?

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

- Another.

Classic edge

School days.

Oh god why did you do this to yourself xD

- Death Note.

Classic

Oh, and I quit in episode 25, like people often do

Ayup xD

Shinji was a really pitiable character.

GET IN THE DAMN MECHA

Paranoia Agent

The only one i don't know from the list xD

Then I stopped watching out of sheer disgust.

smh didn't even reach episode 6 (i think it was episode 6 that was really wild, don't remember)

Edited by Shrimperor

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No Game No Life kinda...? Ruben still can't count, he watched 7.011 animes. Only one episode of this one. This is more what you'd call a generic anime, so to speak. It's about an unbearable, condescending, misogynistic pile of shit who enters the game world with his little loli sister that the anime loves to sexualize. They encounter this other waifu, and the protagonist makes it his life's goal for the episode to ruin her life as much as he possibly can. Then I stopped watching out of sheer disgust.

No game no life is an interesting show. I only watched 3 episodes of it before stopping. I enjoyed what I watched simply because of how self-aware and degenerate it is. It’s Otaku fetish pandering in its purest form and that’s okay because that’s all it wanted to be. No game No Life is one of those shows where you kinda have to be deeply engrained in weeb/otaku culture to really enjoy it. Kinda like kill la kill albeit to a lesser extent. Then again personally I’m more of a battle shounen kind of person you know stuff like one piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy tail, MHA, etc. 

Currently on a one piece reread right now actually and it’s been a lot of fun.

I myself have only watched really "entry-level" anime, and while I've liked some, others I've really disliked. 

The best so far. Shinji was a really pitiable character. Really, most of them were. I don't think there was anyone that was truly hateable. Except Gendo, but Gendo was so over-the-top asshole that I couldn't help but love him, in a way. The "End of Evangelion" movie was by far the best part of this one, I'd say. Also, why does Pen Pen exist? I've genuinely never understood it.

Agreed on this. Evangelion is definitely one of my favorites.

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He described it as the best anime he'd seen. I agreed, because the competition wasn't exactly stellar. I no longer agree, but it's pretty decent. The anime suffers from an aversion to killing characters comparable to that of Fates, and the pace is insanely fast due to its short length, and the fanservice is... probably mild by anime standards, but at times too much for me. But it's good, even great at times.

Code Geass to me is an... okay show, I guess? Some parts of the story are really good, and Lelouch and Suzaku's dynamic really carried any enjoyment I had for it. Most everything else in it really annoyed me, though - some parts of the writing were absolutely horrendous, being some of the worst I've ever seen in any show, and I agree on the fanservice front. 

(Copying my Radiant Dawn thoughts from Twitlonger)

Who knew that the last Fire Emblem game i'd end up playing before i could say that i've played every Fire Emblem would turn out to be the best one in the series.

For a long time, i've always argued that Conquest had the best gameplay out of any Fire Emblem game and it is a very solid game in that department. However, after playing Radiant Dawn, i realized that the true chad king of best gameplay belonged to Radiant Dawn, although Conquest is still a very close second. I really liked the height mechanic, as it not only gives ranged attackers an extra niche but also served to make certain defense maps more interesting. 2-E and 3-13 rank among the best defense maps in the series for me. I also liked that Wyverns exchanged their flying weakness for thunder weakness, as an attempt to make them not just better Pegasus Knights. I mean, they still are, but it's a good distinction that helps them stand out more.

The highlight was Part 3, i felt that it had some of the maps there had interesting design or objectives. Like in 3-P where you take control of ballistas to somewhat clear a path on the other side for the Laguz allies. Or in 3-3 where you have to burn all the supplies in a set number of turns. Or once again, 3-13, a unique take on the defense map where instead of just protecting a certain tile(s), you have to defend a perimeter. If an enemy unit crosses the line at the map's halfway point, you lose. These are just some examples, i found the maps to be pretty interesting in other Parts too. 3-E probably has the best gameplay/story integration in the series imo.

Story-wise, this is definitely Fire Emblem's most ambitious title. Of course, it's still a Fire Emblem game, so it does fall into some of the pitfalls that plagues the series. Such as how most of the villains are poorly-written, the worldbuilding and whatnot is pretty much exclusively telling, not showing. The Blood Pact plot device is dumb (although it's not this horrendous can of worms that some people made it out to be imo) and the whole thing about the Branded is kinda just shoved in. The game makes it a point about how Branded have to hide their brand, lest they be turned into outcasts but Soren is a Branded and he was walking around with the Brand on his forehead in plain sight, not giving a damn. And he still doesn't. Nobody seemed to care, yet being a Branded is considered a bad thing in this universe.

Despite all that though, this is probably Fire Emblem's best plot in my opinion. I really liked the different perspectives throughout the game and the fact that two of the factions were not on the same side (even if they join forces eventually) is something that i'd like to see in future games. And not in a branching path style like in Fates or Three Houses. Micaiah is one of the series' better Lords in my opinion, even if she suffers from Ike stealing her spotlight. Although, now that i have full context, it could've turned out a lot worst.

The biggest problem with this game is the lack of Support Convos. Now, most of the cast are returning characters from Path of Radiance so the lack of Supports really only hurts the brand new characters (especially Nailah and Volug, we know jack shit about Hatari and Supports would've helped there) but having Supports would've still meant only good things. As such, Fire Emblem is a rare case where my favorite game in a franchise does not have the best cast in that franchise. I'd still argue that Echoes and Three Houses have the best cast of characters in the series.

Honestly though, a lot of Radiant Dawn's faults don't bother me as much because playing through this game reminded me of a time when i considered Fire Emblem to be my favorite video game series of all time. I would never say that i lost interest in Fire Emblem but the series' flaws have made itself more appearent to me over the years and while i still like it a lot, i don't hold it in as high regard anymore. But Radiant Dawn reminded me of the time i did.

8/10.

32 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

- Another.

Ah yes, Final Destination: Anime Edition.

Just now, Sooks said:

What came to happen?

In spoilers if anybody cares.

Spoiler

So Protag-kun meets Quiet Waifu and falls in love. There's also Bastard, a second waifu who wants to get in Protag-kun's pants. Protag-kun starts playing with both of them, even going after different girls, building up a whole harem by being a cheating dickhead. Suffice to say, everyone who's watched this thing hates this asshat. Eventually, in the penultimate episode, he realizes he's an integral piece of shit, apologizes to Quiet Waifu and they get together for good. The end...? Well, no. There's one more episode.

In the final episode, Bastard tries to guilt-trip Protag-kun by claiming to be pregnant. When this fails, she waits for him in his appartment and stabs him like 20 times. When Quiet Waifu arrives to find his corpse, she cuts off his head with a cleaver, puts it in a bag and calls Bastard to meet up with her on a rooftop. She accuses Bastard of lying about her pregnancy. After she denies it, Quiet Waifu tricks her into looking inside the bag, then attacks her with the cleaver, cutting open her gut. Quiet Waifu looks down into Bastard's entrails, saying "I knew it." The anime ends with Quiet Waifu having a nice boat trip, hugging Protag-kun's head.

No, I did not skip anything. That is the succession of events.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Classic edge

Quite. I must say, I still cringe when I see the umbrella scene.

Oh god why did you do this to yourself xD

Morbid curiosity.

Classic

Light's a piece of shit.

GET IN THE DAMN MECHA

I always called the old guy with Gendo "Jeigan." Because c'mon. He's Jeigan.

The only one i don't know from the list xD

It was to be expected.

smh didn't even reach episode 6 (i think it was episode 6, don't remember)

...Do I dare ask what happens in episode 6?

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

I enjoyed what I watched simply because of how self-aware and degenerate it is. It’s Otaku fetish pandering in its purest form and that’s okay because that’s all it wanted to be.

Yes, I suppose that's the reason I hated it so much: It wasn't for me. Guess I can blame my friend for not telling me he was recommending a glorified hentai to me.

2 minutes ago, Spara said:

Code Geass to me is an... okay show, I guess? Some parts of the story are really good, and Lelouch and Suzaku's dynamic really carried any enjoyment I had for it. Most everything else in it really annoyed me, though - some parts of the writing were absolutely horrendous, being some of the worst I've ever seen in any show, and I agree on the fanservice front. 

Yes, more or less my opinion as well.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

To the moon

Go play the game, you peasant.

...not that I have, either. I probably should, actually. But I'm busy playing Omori.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Do I dare ask what happens in episode 6?

They play some game where they keep losing clothes.

It was...Wild

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Go play the game, you peasant.

Already did. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars agooo. And just bought the sequel during the steam sale and will probably play it soon.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Soren is a Branded and he was walking around with the Brand on his forehead in plain sight, not giving a damn.

Soren lied and told people he was blessed by spirits or something like that iirc