• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Bugquest time.

I was kinda expecting Fuga to be a Camus like, but instead he's more like Gotoh. He feels the need to test us by mean of hitting each other with deadly force. Or... not, I guess. Kabbãge spared everyone and their mom (except Kaden, fuck Kaden), why wouldn't she spare Mr. Clean overhere?

Speaking of Mr. Clean, did you know "fuga" in Spanish is one of the words for "escape"? As in, an escape, not to escape. I guess in his case it'll make sense that he pulls the ol' "strategic retreat on death" trick.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bugquest time.

I was kinda expecting Fuga to be a Camus like, but instead he's more like Gotoh. He feels the need to test us by mean of hitting each other with deadly force. Or... not, I guess. Kabbãge spared everyone and their mom (except Kaden, fuck Kaden), why wouldn't she spare Mr. Clean overhere?

Speaking of Mr. Clean, did you know "fuga" in Spanish is one of the words for "escape"? As in, an escape, not to escape. I guess in his case it'll make sense that he pulls the ol' "strategic retreat on death" trick.

The Emperor protects Rubenio.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Greetings, Wraith!

I’m curious, because Twilit doesn’t seem to like the Trails of Cold Steel arc does that mean he’s committed Teehee heresy?

Edited by Wraith

Just now, Wraith said:

I’m curious, because Twilit doesn’t seem to like the Trails of Cold Steel arc does that mean he’s committed Teehee heresy?

I'm not entirely fond of Trails of Cold Steel either (at least Trails of Cold Steel 2 and 3; 1 was pretty okay/good, and I didn't play 4), and it was the arc that turned Shrimpy off of Trails, which used to be his favorite game series.
twilitfalchion hasn't played those games yet, as far as I'm aware.

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm not entirely fond of Trails of Cold Steel either (at least Trails of Cold Steel 2 and 3; 1 was pretty okay/good, and I didn't play 4), and it was the arc that turned Shrimpy off of Trails, which used to be his favorite game series.
twilitfalchion hasn't played those games yet, as far as I'm aware.

Why doesn’t Cold Steel match up to the other arcs?

33 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Why doesn’t Cold Steel match up to the other arcs?

Shrimpy named the black hole that is Rean as his main reason, I believe.

For me, personally, it was the incessant "characters get saved by Deus Ex Machina" or "beat the boss in gameplay, but the cutscene after will still play out like you lost" or "villain you capture gets away because f*** you" or "someone else captures fleeing villain for you, usually via Deus Ex Machina (as in there's no rhyme or reason that someone else should even be there) because what even is a satisfying conclusion?".
Now, I don't mind these three things if they are used sparingly (like, once per story, IF that), but Trails of Cold Steel 2 and 3 used these or variations thereof for nearly every single goddamned boss fight, and it took me out of the games like you wouldn't believe.
Honestly, I wouldn't know if the other arcs are any better, since I only got to the end of Chapter 1 of Trails in the Sky FC, before I kinda stopped playing.

Edited by DragonFlames

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I misclicked once and that resulted in a death.

How I hate when this happens. Skills like swap should ask for confirmation, goddamnit.

Carry the Emperor’s will as your torch!

31 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Shrimpy named the black hole that is Rean as his main reason, I believe.

For me, personally, it was the incessant "characters get saved by Deus Ex Machina" or "beat the boss in gameplay, but the cutscene after will still play out like you lost" or "villain you capture gets away because f*** you" or "someone else captures fleeing villain for you, usually via Deus Ex Machina (as in there's no rhyme or reason that someone else should even be there) because what even is a satisfying conclusion?".
Now, I don't mind these three things if they are used sparingly (like, once per story, IF that), but Trails of Cold Steel 2 and 3 used these or variations thereof for nearly every single goddamned boss fight, and it took me out of the games like you wouldn't believe.

And that's not even getting into the mess that is the "secret society" Ouroboros, but they seem to be a blight on the entire series.
They are vague and mysterious for the sake of it, their plans and actions make absolutely NO sense when you get right down to it, and you have to wonder if there even was a plan to begin with, because all they throw around are fancy names for plans that are so ill-defined you could be excused to believe their leader is just a giant troll with a serious case of eighth grader syndrome.

Honestly, I wouldn't know if the other arcs are any better, since I only got to the end of Chapter 1 of Trails in the Sky FC, before I kinda stopped playing.

There’s always The Book of the New Sun or The Dying Earth series of you want good fantasy fiction.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

There’s always The Book of the New Sun or The Dying Earth series of you want good fantasy fiction.

Thanks for the offer, but I read so much for my studies that I can't imagine doing it in my free time for the time being.
Only recently, I read the Niebelungenlied again in preparation for a lecture, and I still have to finish the Epic of Gilgamesh for an essay.

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Only recently, I read the Niebelungenlied again in preparation for a lecture, and I still have to finish the Epic of Gilgamesh for an essay.

Good man. Once you’re out of university you maybe in a better mindset to want to read more.

Okay, Kumagera just beat up Mr. Clean. All of Kabbãge's existential doubts were solved because her allies beat up Mr. Clean and his tribe for her. Sure, whatever you say, Fates.

That was an interesting map. The gimmick was a bit overwhelming at first, but eventually I got a hang of it. Until I forgot about it and Benny and Nyx got thrown in the middle of all the enemies. Thankfully, Benny was able to just barely survive the two mages, and then Nyx nosferatanked a bit while reinforcements arrived to aid them. Beyond that, it went about as well as it could've.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

@twilitfalchion reasons for finding Trails of Cold Steel not to your liking, go!

I haven't played them. That's it really, like Draggy mentioned earlier.

I'd need to play them for myself to know whether or not I'd actually like them or form any opinion on them.

This stair map would be all right if it wasn't for the bastards with wary fighter and sky-high defense that throw 30+ damage rocks at my squishies. As it is, I had to have Nina ferry Kumagera to the upper area so I can pray he gets crits against the stoneborn. He got one, which was enough for me to just barely make it.

I was also forced to leave the arms scroll behind. No way I could've beaten the boss without getting overwhelmed by all his cronies. Meh.

As for the plot... Here I thought Mikoto's death was underwhelming. Boohoo, the girl who appeared in two scenes before the route choice is dead. Big whoop.

...wow, I can level up her ghost. That's so shitty, hahahahah! Even the game has no respect for the poor girl.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This stair map would be all right if it wasn't for the bastards with wary fighter and sky-high defense that throw 30+ damage rocks at my squishies. As it is, I had to have Nina ferry Kumagera to the upper area so I can pray he gets crits against the stoneborn. He got one, which was enough for me to just barely make it.

I was also forced to leave the arms scroll behind. No way I could've beaten the boss without getting overwhelmed by all his cronies. Meh.

As for the plot... Here I thought Mikoto's death was underwhelming. Boohoo, the girl who appeared in two scenes before the route choice is dead. Big whoop.

...wow, I can level up her ghost. That's so shitty, hahahahah! Even the game has no respect for the poor girl.

45D6A8F6-F468-4D5A-B663-D580AF1ACE62.jpeg