Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Or is the level adjusted to your party?

It's adjusted. Although Temperantia's level balance is kinda all over the place due to being a mostly optional area. 

Anyways, since you have Zeke now, you can go and try to get Elma now (you might have to unlock this in the DLC menu before it shows up). Unlike Shulk and Fiora, you actually can bring Elma with you before beating the main story.

You might have to cheese with Custom though, the Elma rematch is brutal.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Eyy, the vote's still not over! I get one more vote! Stupid timezones confused me, I thought I wouldn't be able to throw a vote at Hicks. Pretty sure it's over, now. All that's left is to wait for the results and the meltdown that will doubtlessly ensue.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

...warcraft 2? Not 3?

Yes, Warcraft 2. You see, I uploaded a Berwick Saga track yesterday, and Youtube decided that it belongs to the game Warcraft 2. Here, take a look for yourself. As far as I'm aware, all the other tracks were correctly assigned to Berwick Saga. I'm not entirely sure what happened here. Is the track similar to a Warcraft 2 track, is there a song called "ambition" in that game too, or is Youtube just plain flipping out? I thought perhaps someone familiar with Warcraft 2 might be able to explain this.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, Warcraft 2. You see, I uploaded a Berwick Saga track yesterday, and Youtube decided that it belongs to the game Warcraft 2. Here, take a look for yourself. As far as I'm aware, all the other tracks were correctly assigned to Berwick Saga. I'm not entirely sure what happened here. Is the track similar to a Warcraft 2 track, is there a song called "ambition" in that game too, or is Youtube just plain flipping out? I thought perhaps someone familiar with Warcraft 2 might be able to explain this.

I didn't play 2 (but i did 3) and the track does sound like something you might hear in an rts, maybe that's why?

Okay, I've got another one. This track was assigned to a game called Legend of Heroes III, for the Sony PSP. What in the world, Youtube? Why these two tracks in particular? All the others are either correctly assigned to Berwick Saga, or just not assigned to any game at all! Fascinating...

22 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

@lightcosmo

@Armagon

Hmm, ok. Since iam that overlvld and i don't want bosses to die when i look at them funny, what options chould i change in custom difficulty?

I am thinking attack x 1.25 and HP x 1.5 hmmm

@Saint Rubenio

...warcraft 2? Not 3?

Hmmm, I suppose enemy HP would be the best for starters. 

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, I've got another one. This track was assigned to a game called Legend of Heroes III, for the Sony PSP. What in the world, Youtube? Why these two tracks in particular? All the others are either correctly assigned to Berwick Saga, or just not assigned to any game at all! Fascinating...

... i can see why xD

Although the Leitmotif makes it obvoius it's Berwick

Knowledge is power as they say, and I've put in a lot of time, and it pays off! It's like when you vs a boss enough times so you know its patterns? Yeah, I'm at that point, which makes it hella easier.

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Knowledge is power as they say, and I've put in a lot of time, and it pays off! It's like when you vs a boss enough times so you know its patterns? Yeah, I'm at that point, which makes it hella easier.

Yeah but like, it's not fun.

And I am done with Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. 🌾

To get to the point, although I do profess my slight distaste for numerical scores again, I'll say it's in the 7-8/10 range, in line with that what the review average has been.

Do I regret buying this? No, I don't think so. Would it have been nice had I waited for a sale? Yes, but a game could be 10^9437/10 and I'd be happier getting it for less, sales make everything better. Did I enjoy the game? Yes, yes I did. Was it exhilarating and make me yearn from the depths of my soul for more? No. But putting a genuine smile on my face was satisfactory.

The final boss took a few tries to understand it, but it was otherwise easy. Final phase had blind spots which only easily-mitigated attacks could reach. The ending which followed was fine. And with this, I'll go into some critiques.

To continue on the topic of the final boss, that gets to one of my major criticisms of Sakuna, it is too easy. I played entirely on the normal difficulty, never the easy one, and as long as you're around the recommended level for an area, the enemies shouldn't be a challenge, barring a few things to look out for. A couple bosses were difficult, but they mostly melted away too. If you wanted a challenge you could try fighting everything at night or whilst neglecting your rice crop, but that wouldn't be a real challenge, just tedium. This game could use a Hard Mode, and I say this as a mediocre Action game player.

The second combat-related problem with this game is the enemy variety, I hope you like demon rabbits! The game needed more unique grunts and bosses alike.

However, the enemy diversity issue I believe stems from two things.:

• This game is 3D. And the graphics were sufficient for me, everything looked clean and fairly modern technically. Nothing that made me go "64 blockiness" or "PS2 textures", and I didn't notice any frame rate issues either. It's not a gorgeous game, but it holds its own.
  • The game was developed over four years by 2 people.

Yes, the two individuals hired a composer, and VAs, translators/localizers, and a publisher, and marketers, and judging from the credits a little technical help. But at the core it's indie, if I have the definition correct. Most indie games I can think of go for 2D, and often those overused 8 or 16-bit aesthetics; 3D of acceptable quality (albeit using 2D side-scrolling areas outside of the mountain pass, that greatly decreases the potential for bugs), with only one minor instance of a graphical glitch experienced the over my 31 hours of playtime, is quietly appreciable.

I would attribute most of this game's flaws to that 2-man team. If the game had a bigger crew, then it could expand what it currently has -what it currently has is good- more of the same quality could lift this game into amazing status.

The combat system has good bones, fun for a casual like me, with room I can visualize for the unceasing flow of complicated attacks and precise dodges I'd associate with a hardcore Action/Action RPG/Beat 'em Up fan. The weapon, armor, and food crafting systems are basic, without painful material collection tedium. The music is appropriate for its feudal Japan setting, the places on Hinoe align with this too. Sakuna, and her Literally Green Mini Dromarch, are fine. The five humans with them are earthly, a little nuance to each of them, but they're ordinary people overall and I'm okay with this. The story isn't great, but it does its job. The overall world this game paints is pleasing, though we see so little of it.

As for the rice farming that comprises the non-Action side of the "Rice and Ruin" equation, I like it. It is solely rice, and wet-rice farming to be precise, with many little steps. It achieves a quaint feeling of simulating agriculture as it historically happened, without being burdensome or overwhelming. You won't grow a perfect harvest the first time, but thats okay, the game tells you more as things progress, and you'll realize it isn't actually that esoteric. A year is short without feeling too short, twelve days with three per season, so you'll be able to try again soon.

Rice is essential, because you don't gain stats from killing enemies whatsoever, the growth of your rice makes you stronger. I don't believe you can "level down", each rice crop adds to your stats permanently, messing up the next year's harvest somehow won't weaken you. You can cultivate your fields to favor a particular trait of the rice (Yield, Tastiness, Hardiness, Stickiness, Aesthetics, Aroma), each of which correspond to one of Sakuna's six combat stats, but, you don't have to. I never grew my rice for a specific trait once, I followed Tauemon's advice for generally good rice, and I turned out fine. If you wanted to, the game provides scrolls telling you exactly what you need to do for each quality during each season (yet, I think I was glitched here, I coulda sworn I obtained the Tastiness and Stickiness scrolls, but they never showed up in my inventory; I never unlocked this sorting rice with salt feature that exists either, not sure why).

And so I end my review. I could pick up the game later and attempt the 100-floor dungeon I set aside. But for now, I'm good.

zidQQrJWfK48j7v262a4PzAKu9rI8lexsyChESEu

Edited by Interdimensional Observer