Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

What doesn’t help people with student debt is all the boomers who don’t want to forgive everyone’s student debt now because “I had to work to pay it so you should too.”

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Meanwhile in America, you get to go in debt for having an education (except community colleges, those are reasonable).

Here the only debt students will have will be if they ask for student financial help during their studies, and they only have to pay half back, and maximum 10k €.

And the plans to pay em back are pretty generous, honestly. You only start paying back 5 years after last time you asked for help, and if you pay earlier you get a discount.

University itself is almost free (although depending on state). 

I, for example, paid 300€ per semester, and that had public transport for the whole of my city included.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Will you need that research stuff outside of school?

For work, or personal projects, or just educating in your free time, etc.

31 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, I've often stated that I'm not fond of JRPGs, myself. Out of curiousity, would you tell me what those games are that you'd recommend if it wasn't for certain... "lines"? Alongside the lines, if you please. I'm curious now.

One that I can recommend, at least from a story perspective, is Yakuza: Like a dragon. What a shock, coming from me, I know. 

IMO, it's got an amazing story, and the gameplay looks quite good. (Aside from just being turn-based, there's also the Perfect Guard system) There is a difficulty spike midway through the game*, as well as immense grinding required if you wanna finish the final final postgame dungeon (which is 100% optional and doesn't do anything for the story; it's there for those who feel like it.) What's more is that there are a bazillion minigames and substories to do if you ever get tired of the JRPG-style combat.

It is chronologically the eighth game in the series, but it was the first one I watched, and most of it will make sense; there are a few characters (Joon-Gi Han and Kiryu most notably, since Joon-gi was an antagonist from Yakuza 6) that won't hit as hard as they would if you played the older games, as well as many nods and references, but overall the story is 100% fine from a Yakuza noob. Heck, I'd say that these characters appearing are mostly nods and references themselves. (Not to say that they're not plot important, though.)

*The game gives you a good grinding spot right before it, so that at least helps.

Edited by Benice

So yeah, i am not exactly happy about losing all that, but it's only fair, of course, as i had my turn and finished my studies, now i should find work hopefully and others should get their time to study

Edited by Shrimperor

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

personal projects, or just educating in your free time, etc.

Shrimpy is gonna be the next Einstein.

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Here the only debt students will have will be if they ask for student financial help during their studies, and they only have to pay half back, and maximum 10k €.

And the plans to pay em back are pretty generous, honestly. You only start paying back 5 years after last time you asked for help, and if you pay earlier you get a discount.

So is it only loans or are there grants as well? Although I know scholarships are a thing.

Cause here, there is loans (and we all know how much they suck) and grants, which you don't have to pay back. I've technically been going to college for free since the financial aid grants I get are more than enough to cover a full term and any book expenses.

Just now, Armagon said:

So is it only loans or are there grants as well? Although I know scholarships are a thing.

Loans, but not to pay university costs, but for living costs and to help you study without getting a full time job.

And you don't pay the whole loan back, but only half of it

Here, most people get loans to pay for tuition which is almost always super duper duper high that they have to pay back in their entirety with interest that you’re lucky to maybe have paid off before retirement. Of course, this isn’t always the case. There are special circumstances. Like filing for bankruptcy.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Lmao no. My illness completely killed my motivation to go in that deep xD

But doing personal projects and researching just to research!

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Oh hey, it's some serious talk *walks out door*

It’s not serious at all!

But I can understand wanting to forget about student affairs.

So... what are xenoblade-ers from monolith soft these days?

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Loans, but not to pay university costs, but for living costs and to help you study without getting a full time job.

And you don't pay the whole loan back, but only half of it

Ah, gotcha. 

Would you still get those privileges if you live outside of campus? Or does it depend?

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah, gotcha. 

Would you still get those privileges if you live outside of campus? Or does it depend?

yes, aslong as i am a student.

Although the 'loan' is dependant on income of parents as well. Ie if your parents are rich, no loan for you. If your rich parents are assholes who refuse to help, the state will give you the money and then take the money from the parents xD

Also loan is interest free aslong as you aren't an ase who misuses it. Like if you pay back in time and/or do you paper work right, it's interest free

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Yes I liked it. I got a Degree in Not Wasting Taxes.

It seems like your degree is kind of going to waste...

what city/town were you in?