Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I hope future remakes give us the option to turn off enemy phase music (and battle music as well) ala feh

SoV for example had S-tier player phase themes, but enemy phase themes on the other hand...

Edited by Shrimperor

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

It's time to out myself as having taste. Bad or good? You decide!

735019740_Screenshotfrom2021-03-2116-19-52.png.19660ab5c3e85bd779b995002b413e5b.png

I had a bit to think about where I'd rank 3H, because it's one with some bad tracks but it has instant classics at the same time and I wouldn't rank it's between map music at the level of GBAFE that's for sure. It really comes down to Genealogy that is to me still strong 25 years later. End of Despair's a class all it's own if you ask me, Sakurai gets it.

Also F isn't really a rank, just felt I had to put these titles on the list to indicate they existed. You can count MotE as part of it too

Baten Kaitos has a boss that is just an octopus with tits huh.

8 minutes ago, Dayni said:

It's time to out myself as having taste. Bad or good? You decide!

735019740_Screenshotfrom2021-03-2116-19-52.png.19660ab5c3e85bd779b995002b413e5b.png

This is mostly similar to my list, barring a few exceptions. You're good.

I still would actually rank Gaiden tho, kinda insane what they did with that game's limited OST.

Soundtracks? Okay. oVTkjyI.png

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Birthright and Conquest have it pretty damn good too (i'm pretty sure they play on each other's route but that's not what it's labeled as in the thumbnail).

Those aren’t the generic boss themes, those are the non-royal playable character fight themes for each faction.

This is the generic Hoshidan boss theme.

This is the generic Nohrian boss theme.

This is the generic Vallite boss theme.

And THIS is the generic boss theme for those that are unaffiliated, usually bandits.

Sooks. Bro. Say what you will about SoV, i know you ain't slandering the soundtrack.

Well, you see, when you forget 90% of a game’s maps/the experience in general, the soundtrack tends to vanish from memory as well...

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

YExklmS.png

FE's music biggest problem imo is that most enemy phase themes absolutely suck ass

Wait why is fe6 music at E rank? What is that bad?

28 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, this again.

Hah!

Edited by Sooks

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait why is fe6 music at E rank? What is that bad?

Yes. The music there drives me crazy. Only track i like the normal battle theme

Edited by Shrimperor

Oh yes I forgot to mention, I beat chapter seven. It was actually easier, I didn’t even need to use all of my divine pulses, and one of the ones I did use was because of RNG.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Three words.

Beyond. Distant. Skies.

I never disliked that one.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Yes. The music there drives me crazy. Only track i like the normal battle theme

Huh. Well, at least it was the music of the game that drive you crazy anyway.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Those aren’t the generic boss themes, those are the non-royal playable character fight themes for each faction.

Oh.

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well, you see, when you forget 90% of a game’s gameplay, the soundtrack tends to vanish from memory as well...

I mean, i don't really think that's fair. You can acknowledge a game has a good OST even if you don't like....the rest of the game.

Otherwise, i would've put FE4's OST straight in bottom tier by association.

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Three words.

Beyond. Distant. Skies.

This one's actually fine, i don't mind it too much.

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Baten Kaitos has a boss that is just an octopus with tits huh.

Those are its eyes actually, and the two inner tubes around the waist are I assume the lips of its mouth, considering it has to speak out of something.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This fight's actually kinda hard.

Not even because of the insta-kill (that he used on Kalas twice in a row), he just hits really hard.

Unlucky as unlucky gets. They do have a personal distaste for Kalas.

Due to the Chaotic Trio being the prior boss, this one is perhaps overshadowed, but it's not the easiest thing either. Mira having comparatively weak bosses makes the spike in Alfard all the sharper too.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, i don't really think that's fair. You can acknowledge a game has a good OST even if you don't like....the rest of the game.

Otherwise, i would've put FE4's OST straight in bottom tier by association.

It’s not like I tried to forget it. I just did. The two tracks I do know are fantastic anyway. And I put Revelation in S tier despite Revelation.

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I still would actually rank Gaiden tho, kinda insane what they did with that game's limited OST.

Not gonna lie, it's so blown out of the park with SoV and so little's changed in terms of placement of tracks that haven't straight up been replaced by new tracks alongside the old tracks still being fairly recognisable that I don't think it's that necessary. It being NES era (and older than me, just to clarify) is also too unfair of a disadvantage to rank it fairly.

I hope people don't read too much into me not directly responding to their rankings, I feel like there isn't much more for me to add beyond where I stand.

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, this again.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I just listen to the music and enjoy it.

Ranking, ranking never changes.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

...alright, after listening to it, The Scions’ Dance in Purgatory does really slap.

There's more good stuff down there. Just happy to see you're happy.

Just now, Sooks said:

Oh yes I forgot to mention, I beat chapter seven. It was actually easier, I didn’t even need to use all of my divine pulses, and one of the ones I did use was because of RNG.

Good job, any particular surprises from that?

As as aside, Chapter 8 can be rough to try and save all the villagers in (I barely managed, even with Stride to get units far enough), Solon will move if he attacks someone so watch out if you were as unprepared as me to deal with that, DK can actually be beaten with the Horselayer in the chest near where he spawns if your attacker's strong enough and the generics will not last long, but Jeralt's made of sterner stuff at least (though watch he doesn't get to Solon like I let happen, it caused a panic that's for sure). It was after this I saw more recruits so my experience is liable to differ far more.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Three words.

Beyond. Distant. Skies.

Oh no it's in my head! Again!

DAMMIT!

As an aside (and counter), I leave an offering of a track from a different game.

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Good job, any particular surprises from that?

The surviving half of the Blue Lions class randomly charging me. I dealt with that surprisingly easily though.

I think it’s because my units are really picking up. They’re not super weak sauce anymore as most of them can do noteworthy damage and sort of have an enemy phase.

Edited by Sooks

I think I liked every FE's music a LOT, with the exception of FE7, (which had some themes I really didn't like, but also a few good ones) and TH. (For a wide variety of reasons.)

EDIT: Also PoR, but that was at about 1/3 speed so it doesn't count.

I think my favorite soundtrack is...Berwick's, I suppose? I played most of it with music off due to slowdown, but all the themes I've heard slap and fit the context well-You don't randomly get something epic like Clouds of War when you're fighting generic bandits.

Edited by Benice

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Due to the Chaotic Trio being the prior boss, this one is perhaps overshadowed, but it's not the easiest thing either.

I'd say this one is harder on the scale because

• It hits really hard (even defense cheats on Kalas and Savyna that i can't turn off didn't seem to make a difference)
  • Rare insta-kill
  • Gargantuan amount of HP (and it doesn't have a visual indicator that it's on it's last legs either, i was caught off guard when the fight ended)
  • Can heal itself for 110 every turn
27 minutes ago, Dayni said:

It being NES era (and older than me, just to clarify) is also too unfair of a disadvantage to rank it fairly.

Normally i'd be in agreement but idk, i feel like they actually tried with Gaiden's OST instead of just making one iconic tune and calling it a day.

BATEN KAITOS MAJOR SPOILERS

Spoiler

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

I'm with Geldoblame on this. Legitimately didn't expect this.

And at first i thought "well this came out of nowhere" and then i put two and two together: Melodia and that voice that speaks whenever an End Magnus is released are the same. 

Damn, the story really got me here.

Just now, Sooks said:

Sure, sure 😜

Well,

1. I don't think that Fodlan winds is that good of a theme-It's fine.
  2. The map music is most often tone-deaf to the situation, especially in part one. We got epic, dramatic music for generic bandits, the large inter-house competition, monsters, etc. When a theme for a simple and quieter part of the narrative is already out there being melodramatic, the more intense parts have nowhere to go.
  3. Consequently, most of the map themes felt the same. Like, over my VW playthrough, I recall three themes-Final chapter's theme, Lorenz' paralogue's theme, and other than that, I recall it being mostly Fodlan winds or something that sounded somewhat similar. The music does not tend to evoke the emotions I felt they were intended to.
  4. Many of the themes I dislike are the ones that play often. Most notably, the part 2 monastery music.

One of the most hype moments I've had in a game ever was Chapter 12 of Berwick Saga, and that was in no small part due to the absolutely epic prep/battle music. It was intense, dark and driving. Because of previous maps that were less important or intense narrative-wise having music that matched the situation, you felt like the whole world hinged on your actions. If most previous maps had used themes equivocal in intensity, it would have fallen flat.

On 3/21/2021 at 5:13 PM, Sooks said:

I think it’s because my units are really picking up. They’re not super weak sauce anymore as most of them can do noteworthy damage and sort of have an enemy phase.

Sort of tending to be the operative word if you had a larger cast like I'd end up doing.

On 3/21/2021 at 5:38 PM, Armagon said:

Normally i'd be in agreement but idk, i feel like they actually tried with Gaiden's OST instead of just making one iconic tune and calling it a day.

While that may be true, I feel like it's hard to compare the NES games (plus MotE to a lesser extent) with the later titles generally and SoV represents the tracks so well I don't think it's fair to put in what can be said is an out and out lesser soundtrack of what's ranked as series best so far.

I didn't finish Gaiden before SoV was announced, but when I did proceed to play it I was looking forward to how it'd sound in SoV for definite. I suppose it could have been in C rank thinking about it for a second, but it probably would have scored lower because of it still having a small tracklist and thus being forced into excessive track reuse.

The OG version of Songs for a Bygone Age still slaps though.

Edited by Dayni