Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, analog controls were required there.

Guess this final dungeon will be the Pro Controller's time to shine.

Since you're in the final dungeon, I wanna get this off my chest...

Spoiler

How in the world did they hide Tarazed?!

It's a giant floating island in the sky for crying out loud!  It's not like you can bury it in the earth like any world set on the ground could. It'd be impossible to miss it if you approached Alfard from almost any angle. The thing looks (although 2D images can be deceiving) to be comparable to Alfard itself in size.

And yet, I love Tarazed. It's so absurd Baelheit could keep it a secret for months if not years. Yet how can I not love that absurdity combined with it being a giant manmade island, that contrary to Baelheit's forward-looking, abandoning the past worldview, nonetheless relies on the power of dead gods like the other major islands mostly do?

If Tarazed suddenly showed up in Alrest, I've daydreamed Almathus would take an immediate interest in it. If he could capture it, he'd take it for himself. If he couldn't- destroy it! He would not allow a sinful world to persist, if a machine island could outlive the Titans, it would have to go.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, almost 30 years of history...

Fun fact, the first SRW game debuted in April 20, just like the first FE game. So both series are exactly one year apart.

If not after the closure of Cross-Omega, hopefully they reveal something for the 30th anniversary on April 20...

Watching the entire thing, although it could be the attacks they chose to show here that are problematic, I think 2012 looks to be the year around which animations got out of hand to be optimally appealing to me. Longer isn't always better.

I'm having a harder time defining where things are no longer so dated that they actually have enduring coolness. The first Masoukishin's original version is dated, but I can't determine from this whether Shin SRW in 1996 actually looks good, or if the turning point is later.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Watching the entire thing, although it could be the attacks they chose to show here that are problematic, I think 2012 looks to be the year around which animations got out of hand to be optimally appealing to me. Longer isn't always better.

I'm having a harder time defining where things are no longer so dated that they actually have enduring coolness. The first Masoukishin's original version is dated, but I can't determine from this whether Shin SRW in 1996 actually looks good, or if the turning point is later.

Hah, long animations were already there before 2012. Like Ain Soph Aur, or that one from J's final boss. Both clocking over a minute.

Coincidentally both ditching the SD look. They're outliers, as it were.

That said, there's a reason why people tend to joke about the (Hi) Nu Gundam's budget every game...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Okay, I decided to have that prologue section include a segment beyond the flashback. Now, to write a good transitioning piece into its next segment.

But before that, I'm gonna test out Another Eden. Though sheesh, with recommended specs like those, no wonder it lagged so hard in my phone when I tried it out long ago...

Hold on, you mean to tell me

This was the final boss theme all along?

Damn. I won't give the context but damn, it was used very well. Me like.

Although it has become clear that the image used in the thumbnail has literally nothing to do with the actual game.

Anyways, i beat Baten Kaitos Origins. Won't give full thoughts yet but i do wanna talk about the climax and ending real quick. Of course, major spoilers

Spoiler
  • Why did Verus become a Disney twist villain? Wouldn't it have made way more sense for Geldoblame to become one? And you're telling me Geldoblame literally only became evil because Verus told him he wasn't beautiful? Ngl, you dropped the ball hard here Mr. Koh Kojima. Verus instantly went from a decent supporting character to one of Monolith Soft's worst villains.
  • The actual final area is very cool conceptually, though navigating it can be confusing as it all looks the same.
  • Wiseman being the final boss is out of nowhere but he did need some closure. Even if it's never actually explained who he was.
  • This game has the Xenoblade 2 effect of making Malpercio much better. Even if the Malpercio that is actually fought in Eternal Wings is just a Frankenstine's monster.
  • GUILLO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i mean i know the ending implies Guillo is still alive in some way but GUILLO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Sagi and Milly marrying at 15? Alright then. It's a fantasy world, this is fine. And them living quietly in Mira makes a lot of sense why they don't show up in Eternal Wings beyond them not existing due to this being a prequel made after.
  • Love how the game shows Gena getting her wings back in a small slideshow during the credits. I think it's more important than that game.
    • But i did like the tease of Savyna starting her journey to become Lady Death.
  • Love how the game says "the story will continue in Baten Kaitos" at the very end, as if this game didn't come out three years later.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Since you're in the final dungeon, I wanna get this off my chest...

Reveal hidden contents

How in the world did they hide Tarazed?!

It's a giant floating island in the sky for crying out loud!  It's not like you can bury it in the earth like any world set on the ground could. It'd be impossible to miss it if you approached Alfard from almost any angle. The thing looks (although 2D images can be deceiving) to be comparable to Alfard itself in size.

And yet, I love Tarazed. It's so absurd Baelheit could keep it a secret for months if not years. Yet how can I not love that absurdity combined with it being a giant manmade island, that contrary to Baelheit's forward-looking, abandoning the past worldview, nonetheless relies on the power of dead gods like the other major islands mostly do?

If Tarazed suddenly showed up in Alrest, I've daydreamed Almathus would take an immediate interest in it. If he could capture it, he'd take it for himself. If he couldn't- destroy it! He would not allow a sinful world to persist, if a machine island could outlive the Titans, it would have to go.

Spoiler

It's honestly amazing. It's canon that Tarazed could be seen from any island, how they hid it i have no idea. They couldn't have hid it far away either, i know they say that the "continents were lifted" but i'm pretty sure that the population of the Baten Kaitos world is comparable to that of Alrest, which is to say, it's not that big.

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

This battle is actually lagging, what the heck?

Yes.

I really noticed it here and it was certainly something seeing the game go below 20 frames over the smallest things. If the game's badly optimised elsewhere, here it might as well not have been.

Keep in mind this was the last map I'd have played. (Outside the context of Maddening)

5 hours ago, Sooks said:

I love how the game is being so nice to me with miracle because it has a chance of 41 to activate but has only triggered once.

The real miracle in this map is it not triggering.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Although it has become clear that the image used in the thumbnail has literally nothing to do with the actual game.

Well...

Spoiler

The backdrop, the rose petals, the angel on the thorny cliff, none of it makes sense. But, the monstrosity that hogs the image looks like fanart where Verus-Wiseman wasn't drawn right. 

Damn. I won't give the context but damn, it was used very well. Me like.

Considering The Key We've Lost, you seem to have a preference for unusual final boss themes. On the final battle...

Spoiler

If you hadn't gone back to Atria and "slain" Wiseman there, Verus-Wiseman wouldn't have showed up for some unexplained reason. The game would've ended anticlimactically with Verus and the Machinanguis fight.

Anyways, i beat Baten Kaitos Origins. Won't give full thoughts yet but i do wanna talk about the climax and ending real quick. Of course, major spoilers

First, congrats! Second, to comment on all this.:

Spoiler

Ngl, you dropped the ball hard here Mr. Koh Kojima. Verus instantly went from a decent supporting character to one of Monolith Soft's worst villains.

You trusted a Quaestor who told a 15-year-old boy he could save the world all this time? What a fool are you.😜

-I get your stinging criticism.

BTW if you had left Tarazed and gone back to Verus's residence, the door to his "spiriting room" would've been unblocked now. There is nothing to be had inside it, only various torture devices like an Iron Maiden that reveal how mad Verus was. 

Furthermore, the assassination of Olgan that kicked off the game makes more sense this way. Shanath sent in the Afterling that was the first boss and Geldoblame retrieved Sagi thereafter because Verus wanted it, how else do you explain Geldoblame being in a secret passage of all places? The assassination of Olgan was both for Shanath's own hatred of his father for disowning, at least after he failed to become a Malideiter, and probably to force Baelheit's hand on Verus's orders. Baelheit made it clear he didn't want Olgan dead, only to get the second list of Afterlings and draw Sagi closer to him for some unexplained reason. Although, wanting to kill Sagi in unfinished Vega is all Shanath's desire.

Wouldn't it have made way more sense for Geldoblame to become one? And you're telling me Geldoblame literally only became evil because Verus told him he wasn't beautiful?

It isn't quite as simple as that. Geldoblame acts like he is an ideal civil servant, he sincerely believes in the common good, in virtue, in striving to help the world, etc.. Furthermore, he had an unhealthy reverence for Verus as the ideal public official, his house in Greater Mintaka has a "My Verus Scrapbook".

To discover the god among men you worship believes in absolutely nothing you thought he did, and that you were purely a tool to him, must've broken Geldoblame to the core. Virtue is a total sham, selflessness is purest idiocy, power is everything, enrich oneself and don't give a damn about the lives of others. Those are the things Geldoblame learned from his last encounter with his "paragon" of humanity.

Wiseman being the final boss is out of nowhere but he did need some closure. Even if it's never actually explained who he was.

He doesn't seem at all human, like an otherworldly being. Likewise, the Dark Brethren don't seem like they belong in this world either. Mysterious entities from other dimensions- the truest enemies of Baten Kaitos?

This game has the Xenoblade 2 effect of making Malpercio much better. Even if the Malpercio that is actually fought in Eternal Wings is just a Frankenstine's monster.

The real enemy in EWatLO now seems to have been the leaderless, faceless, Dark Brethren. They, through their ability to manipulate Malpercio whose souls they've taken, were able to manipulate Melodia. Cor Hydrae/Zaurak Keep was their fortress, and freedom from being sealed away is what they sought.

GUILLO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i mean i know the ending implies Guillo is still alive in some way but GUILLO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What do you mean Guillo is dead? Guillo isn't dead, he chose to stay in Hassaleh and watch over Gena for the rest of her life while Sagi and Milly went to Mira.

-Hardest scene in the game to watch.😭

Sagi took Guillo's head, which appears to have a trace of life left in it. Not sure why one of the still images from the credits make it look like his body went missing from the machine he threw himself in.

Guillo had to die, as a Godcraft, Guillo doesn't age and could very well be around for EWatLO. And why then if it were, would Guillo sit back and do nothing while Malpercio's power is being abused again? Guillo would've gone and killed that prissy Geldoblame and then gone all shining arms on Malpercio had it been "resurrected" on its own if it had to. Marno ar XXXX and his siblings mustn't be allowed to suffer. 

The exact scene in which Guillo sacrifices itself is a bit contrived, machines grabbing Sagi and the only way to free him is for someone else to die, it doesn't feel the most natural. It might've been more epic if Guillo had dealt the final blow to Verus-Wiseman and died there with the ancient past. However, my epic alternative would not have allowed for the Guillo-Milly conversation, which is well-written.

But i did like the tease of Savyna starting her journey to become Lady Death.

Maybe the reason she took up fisticuffs is because Guillo saved her 5-year-old life by punching a robot six inches from her?😛

I believe there is an anonymous letter later in the game, which seems to have been written by a child and can be summarized as "I want to get stronger. I need to get stronger!". Savyna may have written it.

And there is a touch of irony here, the thing that made her snap out of being a mindless Lady Death killing machine in EW, is killing a little girl's father. The thing that started her along that path all this time was witnessing her own father's death.

Giacomo got a touch of side development too. Giacomo is pitifully obsessed with power, and writes a letter to Sagi after his three losses saying "Why can't I defeat you Sagi? What is your secret?". It is unknown if Giacomo found out the secret was Malpercio, but a mild form of Malpercio's power is infused into him and his two goons in EW. 

And for Gibari, I can't help but smile during the Diadem arc, the writing was so joyous. I don't know why, but Gibari & Ladekahn's silly adventures were very entertaining to me. It does at the same time explain the bad blood between Alfard and Diadem in EW- they killed the two leading knights. And in retrospect, when Gibari and Ladekahn met after Ayme shot him in EW, that very well could've been the first time Gibari and 'kahn had ever met since Rambari and Celsica died. 'Kahn ordered Gibari away to protect the last surviving person he cared for, but it ends up being Gibari needing to protect 'Kahn. Gibari got more development than in all of EW.

Sagi and Milly marrying at 15? Alright then. It's a fantasy world, this is fine. And them living quietly in Mira makes a lot of sense why they don't show up in Eternal Wings beyond them not existing due to this being a prequel made after.

They're not "living quietly".

Tell me, who was that baby after Geldoblame spoke? -Well, Monolith never officially said who it was. Did you think it was Kalas? Possible. I beg to differ. For me, it was Melodia.

What does she have to do with anything? Well, I've heard, secondhand, I can't confirm it myself, that supposedly, that the translators for EWatLO really fudged up at Cor Hydrae. In the Japanese, when Duke Calbren talks to Melodia, he might had have said they aren't actually related. I would love to have someone confirm this for me.

Do you see it now?

Spoiler

Mira, the credits CG of Calbren welcoming Milly and Sagi, the post-credits CGs looked like a room in Calbren's manor. He must've gotten along so well with them that he must've declared them his heirs. You've been playing as Melodia's parents the entire game!

This in turn gives her an interesting genealogy of Gena, BKO's villain ...and BKO's hidden villain. Because as if Verus saying Gena worked as a maid for him wasn't enough, showing her the Portrait of Verus that is the ultimate Coliseum reward gets her all flustered. The implication is obvious.

And where are Melodia's parents? They died with her during that plague that stuck Mira some years prior you see their bodies right there in the flashback, only Calbren didn't bother trying to bring them back the bastard. The unfortunate result of this, is that neither Sagi nor Milly lived to the age of thirty. 

Should such a revelation have been indirectly saved for a snap reveal in the ending? Or should we -ignoring all else it could've brought too- have gotten a Mira arc earlier in the game that curtailed the element of surprise to a degree, but in turn made it clearer and more developed as to what happens regarding Calbren and Sagi & Milly. -Purely fair narrative criticism for the sake of it on my part.

Again, congrats on finishing the game! Shame the gameplay failed you, but it's delightful to see the writing mostly worked for you. I don't like seeing people not enjoying things -unless it's a saucy review of something I don't have any affections for.

Could a third game happen? Well...

https://www.siliconera.com/baten-kaitos-3-was-canceled-but-monolith-soft-art-director-wants-it-back-for-a-new-development/amp/

BK3 was in pre-production, but Namco looks to have sealed it in a gilded card.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

(Copied from my Backloggd)

Baten Kaitos Origins: when the characters are so good you play the game for them.

Baten Kaitos Origins is a weird game for me. Because as far as the game side of it goes, it didn't really work for me. And yet, i finished the game. Not in a "i've come this far, might as well" way but i finished it because i wanted to. I think Baten Kaitos Origins is a perfect example of why characters are so important.

But let's start at the beginning with the gameplay. It's not actually bad. It makes sense mechanically and there are even bursts of adrenaline rush when you manage to pull off a big combo. My problem with the combat is that it's just.......not what i wanted. Eternal Wings' combat was pretty good, if flawed, and i wanted to see a refinement of that. Origins' combat is technically fine but the stuff i liked about the combat in the previous game is gone. In particular, i missed the freedom i had in Eternal Wings. Origins making the decision to have everyone share the same deck did not mesh well with me and as a result, i ended up finding it more restrictive. By the time i reached Disc 2, i had pretty much accepted that the combat system was not one i was ever gonna get used to.

And yet, i kept playing. I kept playing because this game has one of my new favorite casts in gaming. Baten Kaitos Origins does something bold with it's cast: there are only three. That's right, there are only three playable characters in the entire game. If you're someone who likes switching up parties, sorry, but trust me when i say that just having three characters works so much to this game's benefit. Sagi, Guillo, and Milly all have great character moments and interactions because the writing could focus on them. I'm not saying bigger casts can't work, but one of the main problems of JRPGs is what i like to call character irrelevancy syndrome, where some characters just feel less relevant than others. By just having three characters in the party, Baten Kaitos Origins is able to avoid this completely. The amount of JRPGs that make it's entire party feel relevant is honestly pretty small. Xenoblade 2 is like the only other example that avoids character irrelevancy syndrome and that game's main cast is much bigger. And as side note, both Xenoblade 2 and Baten Kaitos Origins' cast are on the same level for me.

The best character is Guillo easily. Guillo is not only the best character in the Baten Kaitos duology but one of Monolith Soft's best characters. Free S-tier placement. The thing about Guillo is that despite not being comic relief, Guillo is just naturally funny. A lot of their lines are very based and their interactions with the other two members of the duo, especially Milly, can be hilarious. It's honestly amazing how this puppet was written with so much personality and so many great lines.

Sagi himself gives off a basic first impression but he's pretty likable. If i were to compare him to another Monolith Soft protagonist, the easiest comparison would be to Rex. I think Rex is better but they're like the same kind of character when you think about it. And by the end of the game, i think i liked Sagi more than Kalas from the previous game. Kalas is funny and an asshole and had a very interesting moment but i felt like Sagi just had more characterization overall and his interactions with Guillo and Milly were great all around. My only nitpick with him is that his voice actor, while not doing a bad job, just feels like he's just here for the paycheck.

Milly shows once again that Monolith Soft is very much capable of writing female leads. Very likable with a lot of personality and i was invested to see how she'd resolve her personal struggles. I was surprised to see she uses maces in combat, since i figured she'd just be a mage but i guess that's Guillo's job. And man, oh man, i know i already said this in another way, but Milly interactions with Guillo are some of the best. Never a dull moment between these two.

The main cast is the reason why this game ended up being so enjoyable. If the main cast failed, i actually would've just dropped the game. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

The story itself has seen improvement from Eternal Wings. Gone is the McGuffin fetch quest from the first game, now we have an actually well-written prequel. This game essentially has two plots: the main plot in the present and then the other main plot that happens in the distance past. Having a prequel that has a prequel in it is really weird but it works, trust me. The villains have seen some improvement as well. The Machnia Vanguard and the younger Giacomo serve as serviceable minor villains and the main villain of the distant past plotline....isn't explained at all but he has rule of cool going for him. Unfortunately, the main villain of the present plotline doesn't have a lot going for him.

One particular aspect of the story i'm not too sure on is that the trio of heroes loses a lot. And that can be very frustrating, to the point where even Sagi is like "this sucks so bad". I like that losing in the story isn't handled as a "oh whoops, i had to get bailed out" but it happens a bit too much where i can understandably see people being upset by it. Thankfully, you get to rematch those losses and come out on top.

The music is good as before. Battle themes are bangers, area themes are actually pretty good this time and the final boss theme is very special. The true final battle is probably the most atmospheric fight Monolith Soft as far as the scenario goes (Tri-Cres handled the actual battles) and this is held up by the choice of final boss theme. If you listen to the song on it's own, it does not sound like a final boss theme at all but it works really well with this given context and i love it and i think Motoi Sakuraba needs to stop composing for Tales because i get the feeling that Tales just holds him back.

One of the biggest improvements though is the English voice acting. It's actually good. Guillo's voices are amazing and yes, i said voices. They did this thing where they gave Guillo a male voice and a female voice and had them play at the same time.

As i said when i started writing this review, Baten Kaitos Origins is a weird game. Because despite never clicking with the gameplay, the game still ended up being very enjoyable for me. Under normal circumstances, i might've just given up, even if i was liking the story and characters. That's what happened to me with Final Fantasy 7. And yet, i kept playing because i was so invested in the characters that i wanted to see their journey from start to finish.

Is the 8/10 score a bit to high for what i just said? Maybe. But the main trio is what ended up making the game so enjoyable for me and it's so rare for me to keep playing a game despite just not clicking with the gameplay and you know what, that deserves points.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well...

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

Yeah, if that's supposed to be Verus-Wiseman, he looks a lot more benevolent.

Considering The Key We've Lost, you seem to have a preference for unusual final boss themes.

Very true. I like my electric guitars of course but i i like it when the final boss themes are just different.

Considering The Key We've Lost, you seem to have a preference for unusual final boss themes.

Spoiler

The assassination of Olgan was both for Shanath's own hatred of his father for disowning, at least after he failed to become a Malideiter, and probably to force Baelheit's hand on Verus's orders. Baelheit made it clear he didn't want Olgan dead, only to get the second list of Afterlings and draw Sagi closer to him for some unexplained reason. Although, wanting to kill Sagi in unfinished Vega is all Shanath's desire.

I always thought Shanath was just plotting something, much like how i thought Geldoblame was plotting something.

I guess i was wrong on both accounts.

And there is a touch of irony here, the thing that made her snap out of being a mindless Lady Death killing machine in EW, is killing a little girl's father. The thing that started her along that path all this time was witnessing her own father's death.

I didn't think about that but it does make sense. Savyna perhaps started down her path as a sort of way to avenge her father but killing someone else's father reminded her of a time when she helplessly watched her own father be killed.

Tell me, who was that baby after Geldoblame spoke? -Well, Monolith never officially said who it was. Did you think it was Kalas? Possible. I beg to differ. For me, it was Melodia.

Well here's the thing about that, that baby had one wing. The fact that the last words you hear in the game are "bring me Georg" and it's followed by the image of a baby with one wing, yeah, that's Kalas. 

Decided to look around, it is a plausible theory.

• Melodia, once freed from Malpercio's influence, resembles Milly while having Sagi's hair color.
  • Meloida is 15 according to the Wiki so timeline-wise, it fits.
  • And of course, the things you mentioned

However, i couldn't find anything where it says that Calbren and Melodia aren't actually related and whether or not Melodia is the daughter of Sagi and Milly is 100% speculation.

I think untimely, it's what you decide. It's possible that they did become the parents of Melodia but it's also possible that this is all just a coincidence. After all, Sagi and Milly did say they wanted to live quiet lives or something and becoming the heirs of a nation isn't exactly living quietly.

As a side note, there's another theory that Sagi and Milly became acquainted with Georg, Kalas and Fee when they were living on Mira but again, speculation.

I don't like seeing people not enjoying things -unless it's a saucy review of something I don't have any affections for.

That goes for all of us haha.

But yeah, as i said in my review, the characters really made this game for me.

Could a third game happen? Well...

https://www.siliconera.com/baten-kaitos-3-was-canceled-but-monolith-soft-art-director-wants-it-back-for-a-new-development/amp/

BK3 was in pre-production, but Namco looks to have sealed it in a gilded card.

Well the site is down right now but i'll take a look at that later.

And yeah, i imagine Baten Kaitos 3 was canceled because of Nintendo acquiring Monolith Soft. Namco still owns the rights to BK and they don't seem interested in doing anything with that.

In addition to Xenogears and Xenosaga being returned to Monolith Soft, Baten Kaitos should also be returned. 

______

Anyways, time to make that HBO Max account so i can watch an oversized lizard slam an oversized ape into a skyscraper.

I don’t like this skill description. “Performs staggering blow immediately”? What does that mean? There’s never a delay in staggering blow. Does that mean it activates every attack?? What? Scary stuff...

Just now, Sooks said:

I don’t even know how I’m supposed to like, approach this.

What'sher range? Maybe....Hunter's volley is an option? Or windsweep, but I dunno if you have rhat.