Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah, of course. Berwick is much lower on the ladder than SRW.

Now you're just asking me to take the next plane to Latin America and go beat the shit out of you.

But I won't. I'm lazy.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

and is making us hate our life, literally.

Sheesh... Can't really think of much to say, so I'll just repeat Armagon's words. Hang in there, man!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

It took me over three years to actually finish US.

I can say if you haven't played Gen 7 and are curious go for it instead of S/M. But thing is, this is despite Gen 7 itself. I found it pretty aggravating even with the Exp share (which might not have been helped by my using it to train up a lot more than 6, similar to my use of it in Gen 6). I'd also make the point that the game having you face a superpowered legendary at level 65 when you mightn't even be near that level's pretty bad, but it's worse when the pokemon you face around that time are sub-50 in the wild and the trainers you face around it specifically top out at 55. At least it doesn't have you face a legendary during the credits and doesn't save beforehand, forcing you to refight the elite four if, say, your power runs out during said fight where you're trying to focus on catching it, so that's an improvement. Even still, throughout the game I felt like I'd face so many battles which just moved so slowly and turns took so long, a problem that a feel is unique to this generation and I don't think it's all on the more defensive pokemon that were put in as the devs had said they were doing. I never felt this slowed down by fights before Gen 7, but mainly with this game. It somehow got even worse balanced with the Exp share, as I ended up having to continuously chop and change to not be stupid overlevelled, but the game kind of frustrated me when I was underlevelled. Because the worst part is I did feel like I had hard fights, but I felt slowed down as a result more than anything.

And even then I'm not sure I'd recommend it over S/M, partly because some of the additions are unneeded and add essentially nothing (see: that tunnel they made accessible, everything I've seen about the Ultra Space minigame they added), while some of the plot choices also didn't work imo (Lusamine got retconned, I'd argue for the worse and the UB plot from the original's gone, though it seems like they could have kept it too alongside what they add in its place. There's also the problem that the 2-year timeskip effectively exists solely to justify the differences and doesn't make changes that might have occurred in the two years to any of the characters). The game's still clunky and slow about moving around places that aren't as big as they could be (The amount of stopping and starting on the first island alone should tell you something), with the characters getting shoved in the player's direction quite often. Overall, I do feel frustrated by how they turned out, but I am not articulating it well.

It's by far a worse continuation of a prior version than any other. Continuing off a game that was already slow. I would understand deciding skipping the generation entirely. If you were to ask me what pokemon games are worth skipping I would probably say Gen 7 was more of a miss. This is a mess of a write up, apologies.

(Also, I got an Awakening when I went to sleep in my bed, was the game telling me to take a nap on the ground?)

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, good job. You're now ready to go play FE12 reverse lunatic. Get to it.

Are you mad?

I would argue it wouldn't make you ready for that, the difficulty's not all that similar.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Are you mad?

I would argue it wouldn't make you ready for that, the difficulty's not all that similar.

I mean, no. Maddening may have its difficulty spikes, but it's manageable if you know chapter 13 is coming and play the entire game around it.

Reverse Lunatic will break you in half. And then pick up the halves and break them too.

But he needs to find out what a good FE looks like.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

But he needs to find out what a good FE looks like.

I mean, I would argue trying to make the case NMotE is a good FE with having them play LunaR is as mad as making the case Maddening is balanced and a sensible difficulty.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I mean, I would argue trying to make the case NMotE is a good FE with having them play LunaR is as mad as making the case Maddening is balanced and a sensible difficulty.

Well yes.

I have no counterpoint, I haven't even played lunatic reverse.

All jokes aside, though, FE12 is a great FE. More people should play it.

16 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I just want this all to fucking end and then i am gonna visit my parents who i haven't seen in a big while.

Sorry to hear that moving's been such a stresser. If there's anything I could do to help, let me know!

I'd say, if NMotE is suggested, then go over SD first.

But that's just me, since why play a sequel game without going first through the, well, first part.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, if NMotE is suggested, then go over SD first.

But that's just me, since why play a sequel game without going first through the, well, first part.

Heh... Yeah, that would be stupid, wouldn't it.

Shudders in played FE12 like 4 years before FE11.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Before playing DSFE tho, Sooks should play an actually good looking FE. Playing three uggy Fire Emblem games in a row does not sound like fun.

B E R W I C K   S A-- Okay no. I mean okay yes, but it's probably not gonna happen, so... The SNES games are pretty good looking, but I'm not sure if Sooks is ready for Kaga Emblem...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What do they even have of ugly...

Frankly, the only part of DSFE that I find ugly are the battle animations. The maps are beautiful and I'm fond of the semi-realistic, bleak artstyle the portraits have going. It's unique. Also, FE11's HUD is just gorgeous. Prettiest interface of any FE, no contest.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The SNES games are pretty good looking, but I'm not sure if Sooks is ready for Kaga Emblem...

He was playing through FE4.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What do they even have of ugly...

I just hate how everything is just washed out.

Just now, Armagon said:

He was playing through FE4.

How do I keep forgetting all the games Sooks has played?

...Okay but no seriously, I'm still not sure if Sooks is ready for Thracia.

Just now, Armagon said:

I just hate how everything is just washed out.

Fair enough. Matter of tastes.

68 turns for that final battle. I mean I don’t particularly care, but wow! Shamir definitely earned her spot as MVP, she was the white beast slayer.

Ferdinand von Aegir got the kill on the final boss.

Here was my final team for anyone that cares or wants to know how I possibly did this:

Spoiler

S5LLT39.jpg
One of the best units in the game in one of the best classes with a great prf to boot. You do the math. We4U3fb.jpg
Pretty good overall, I mean he was a wyvern lord. Like many students in maddening, he took quite a while to get off the ground but when he did, he was quite the asset. He was a phenomenal dodge tank, 104 avoid if he used alert stance, I used him a lot for baiting enemies. Shatter slash was pretty good for enemies I needed everyone else to gang up on, and swift strikes was a brave combat art so of course it was good. Although he did usually end up just short of one rounding things with it... worth nothing that he did get the kill on the final boss. So yeah, he was Ferdinand von fire as a Ferdinand von flier. BhJpHvZ.jpg
My faith magic bot. He was great at healing with both heal and physic, so I definitely wanted max uses of those. He also has warp, which I surprisingly didn’t need that much, but two warps is definitely great. I mean, even then, it’s not like Linhardt is good as anything other than a bishop.

Definitely very important for the team as a result, you always need a good healer. vDW4qoq.jpg
Caspar, known far and wide as one of the worst units and the game. And I won’t deny it, his start was abysmal and he took forever to get going. But like most students, when he did get going he was good. Especially as wyvern lord. He did massive damage with axes (especially with combat arts). He was also very accurate with a training axe+ and smash and axe prowess. I used him on very dodgy enemies (unless they had axe breaker) and he could tank their doubling as well. Qdrn05j.jpg
She played the typical bow knight role of chipping from afar and cantoing away while one rounding fliers with a brave bow (although Bernadetta doesn’t really need a brave bow to one round fliers below maddening, for the most part). She had a 50% bass speed growth and yet rarely doubled without a brave bow. Oh well. Encloser (bow combat art that gives the enemy 0 move for the rest of the turn) was essential for this last map. The white beast reinforcements could not gang up on me only because of her. So yeah, she helped to save this last battle making her a vital member of the team (every team member is vital on maddening, as you’ll notice. If they’re not, they die.), though she helped a lot in earlier stages too. Especially because she picked up a bit earlier then the rest of the students, she probably doubled the most pretimeskip behind the lords (I’m counting Byleth as one because silver snow) and Petra. Although that was mainly when she was a peg, she kind of got worse when she went from that to sniper... still a great asset though.

TH2g97a.jpg
Dancer. Next unit.

...okay but seriously, she mostly did just dance near the end. Whenever I was in a jam with fortress knights or great knights she was one of the units I counted on because fiendish blow + darting blow + spell = dead armored unit. Maddening armors are very difficult without magic, they manage to be actual good physical tanks.

Dorothea’s charm is also incredible so I gave her one of those magic gambits that hits 50 billion tiles (I think it was empire magic users right up until the end of the game where she got Macuil Magic Users (or something similar)) which saved me many, many times from enemies that grouped up on me. Also of note that is that Dorothea’s spell list is incredible, though I fell into the trap of not really using meteor to save uses, but then just not using it ever. Same applies to agnea’s arrow, but I only really used her for offense against armors thanks to her eh speed. Still great though. 2rXzS5v.jpg

Dodge tank number 2 and easily in the top 5 units of this play through (maybe top 3, I can’t decide). Petra is an absolute beast, even on maddening mode she was never doubled! Unlike most non-lord student units, she got off the ground really quickly and was reliable before the time skip. Heck, before she certified for wyvern rider! Alert stance+ and her incredible speed are what made her a good dodge tank, though she could certainly dole out some damage. To be doubling not-armor enemies before the timeskip... people who haven’t played maddening won’t understand, but it’s beautiful.

Her strength kinda sucked though. Not helped by swords being her weapon type, which don’t have the highest might. Overall fantastic though.X89WV9m.jpg
Potentially my best unit. Holy cow was he insane, he starts in the lesser version of the best class in the game, has rally defense, an easily accessible brave combat art, a lot of strength, quite a bit of defense, incredible charm and a boon in authority with a high base in it. Everything you could ever want in maddening. There were few units he wasn’t one rounding with swift strikes and his “prf” lance (for mounted units) before the late game difficulty curve. MVP.

I married him to Catherine though, he probably didn’t deserve that... YLuXeeb.jpg

My other armor unit slayer. She packs a punch with exclalibur, but with darting blow and her incredible magic she could one round armors with wind (though needing to use cutting gale after the late game difficulty curve). She was slow, painfully slow, but not slow enough that she couldn’t fulfill her niche of obliterating armors (usually). Her nuclear magic combined with Excalibur and that staff her paralogue gives that increases her magic range made her great for chip damage as well. Rally luck was also occasionally useful for getting those scary low crit rates lower or down to zero. cWkSIL3.jpg
I’m not sure what to think about Catherine. She had incredible speed, very much helped by darting blow and falcon knight. She never seemed to have much might though, but looking at her strength it was quite good, and she has a great growth in it too. Maybe swords are the problem? Byleth had good strength too but wasn’t doing much damage at the end either. Anyway, with thunderbrand in hand she one rounded most units, but if she couldn’t that would have been very concerning. Thunderbrand is a relic though, and doesn’t have great hit, so I usually opted not to do that.

She was key in defeating the final boss though. Seiros shield + thunder brand is a devasting combination for a monster, I can tell you that right now. And thunderbrand having a brave effect allowed her to nicely cancel out miracle, although I don’t recall if she ever needed to.

Anyway overall good, she suffered from low might at times but has great speed that leads to her rarely being doubled. And of course, gets you thunderbrand, which is itself worth a recruitment (though recruiting her isn’t very hard). RIvtJgu.jpg
The other unit vying for the slot of best. Hunter’s volley (a brave combat art with extra range and some crit), bow crit + 10, death blow, bowfaire from
 sniper and from max bow rank with a killer bow+ lead to her one rounding almost any unit. I mean she had 100 crit against some of the golems in this chapter! The only thing that really held her back was killer bows not having many uses and being expensive to forge (and using a rare mineral iirc), but I managed. I mentioned this above but she was the white beast slayer on this chapter, she took out their last two health bars almost every time! She is how I managed to be able to leave the reinforcements spawning until the end of the map and not die. MVP. fqc0m9m.jpg
Easily my worst unit. Gah these stats... all he was good for was spamming point blank volley (a brave combat art) with a silver bow (which fell off towards the end because Cyril) and breaking the barriers of the white beasts without being countered (since bows are effective damage (which breaks a monster’s shield in one hit) and have 4 base range with a bow knight). However most units would one round him, and since Point Blank Volley required him to be adjacent to the unit he was attacking... well, he was only used when I needed all hands on deck or when he needed exp, really (other than the white beasts of course, but I kinda did need all hands in deck for those).

SF I swear if you delete this whole quote... please, I spent forever writing it.

Maybe I’ll copy it...

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

GADSOOKS YOU DID IT

That surprising? I mean I thought it would be hard, but not like GAD-

I just noticed the pun.

Congrats, how was the last map then?

Surprisingly easy (thanks to Shamir) until the boss, for whom I used some good old fashioned 🧀.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Congrats, Sooks!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

79c.gif

Thank you! I still kinda can’t believe I did the...

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I am proud of you,

It was your wyvern strategy that saved me, sensei.

I mean I guess it wasn’t really your strategy, but...

but more than anything, I am baffled glad that you were able to enjoy that hodgepodge of a difficulty. Way to go!

I don’t know why I’m being complimented for enjoying a video game difficulty, but thank you nonetheless!

It was great. I actually liked the early game gameplay of having to dogpile all your units onto the enemies, which is probably where I differ from most people. There is no reunion at dawn in ba sing se.

Edited by Sooks

If Sooks finished FE4, he would likely enjoy FE3, perhaps. Book 1 scraps the bad chapters from FE1/11 and has a very pleasing art style. Book 2 I can't speak for, as I have yet to play through it fully.

Good game. Worth a playthrough along with DSFE, since they are quite different from each other in several ways.

Oh, and a late congratulations to you for beating maddening, @Sooks

788080642117468171.png?v=1

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

It was your wyvern strategy that saved me, sensei.

See, I'm always right. People should listen to me more.

Now here's five paragraphs on why you should play Berwick Sa--

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There is no reunion at dawn in ba sing se.

Ironically enough, in pushing you to make most of your army wyverns, I saved the difficulty for you. I'd love to argue this, too, but Reunion at Dawn was outright gamebreaking for me...

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Book 1 scraps the bad chapters from FE1/11

I don't know that I'd agree, it kept Lefcandith and dropped Pyrathi.

Among the others it dropped, no real complaints besides finding it odd they dropped two maps that they used in Book 2, the Sable Order (Chapter 8 in Book 2) and Clash in Macedon (Chapter 2 in book 2 with some edits)

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There is no reunion at dawn in ba sing se.

Oh it exists alright. We should be angry about a map that contradicts everything 3H argues it focuses on.

Edited by Dayni