• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, that was King Kong vs Godzilla. Or was it the other way around? I cannot remember.

It's a little bit confusing.

King Kong vs Godzilla refers to the 1962 original.

Godzilla vs Kong refers to the 2021 rematch.

This is not the first time Godzilla movies have had very similar names. See: Mothra vs Godzilla (1963) and Godzilla vs Mothra (1992). Or how about Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (1974), Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 (1993), and Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla (2002). The movies i just mentioned have nothing to do with each other outside of featuring the Kaiju in the names.

And if we wanna go even further, the Americanized version of the original Godzilla was titled Godzilla: King of the Monsters, which was the exact same title they'd end up using for the 2019 film. 

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, I am pleased to inform that the spoiler did absolutely nothing. Either Armagon wasn't entirely forthcoming or I forgot parts of it, because the movie went in a way that I was not expecting. Either way, I'm happy.

Well i gave you the sparknotes version, didn't actually go into the details.

Very glad you enjoyed it tho.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Becuase my youtube feed has been getting spammed with ''All endings'' memes, i did something...

zEjfUEz.png

As far as i'm concerned, Kaga Ending and Kaga Returns Ending are both the bad ending.

40 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

While not always a rule, general trend is that Super Robots = tanks, Real Robots = dodge-tanks. Granteed is a Super Robot, so try to focus on that.

The fact that there are Real Robots implies the existence of Fake Robots.

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hold up-- I get to customize names!?

It was not a good idea to let me do this.

Clgq9mdp oVicrgzru o

There we go, bunch of oddly specific jokes that the man who got me into this won't even get. Perfect.

Rubenio right now

f6b08efbe82b77db463cee9770223d5e.gif

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The fact that there are Real Robots implies the existence of Fake Robots.

It's more Real(istic). You know, stuff like Gundam, where they try to ground themselves in trying to keep things, well, realistic. Both in terms of storyline and how the mechas work.

In contrast to Super Robots shows, where they go to town on super sciency stuff and the like. Like Mazinger.

It's not a strict rule, but it's a trend.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's more Real(istic). You know, stuff like Gundam, where they try to ground themselves in trying to keep things, well, realistic. Both in terms of storyline and how the mechas work.

In contrast to Super Robots shows, where they go to town on super sciency stuff and the like. Like Mazinger.

It's not a strict rule, but it's a trend.

Oh ok i get it now. So like, the EVAs would be "Super Robots" while.......you know, i'm not that versed in Mecha franchises so i can't think of another Real Robot example aside from Gundam.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Oh ok i get it now. So like, the EVAs would be "Super Robots" while.......you know, i'm not that versed in Mecha franchises so i can't think of another Real Robot example aside from Gundam.

One thing to keep in mind is that when it comes to SRW, their gameplay roles also are defined under Super/Real. Tanks and Dodge-tanks. Since they go hand in hand for the most part.

EVAs, strictly speaking, are neither in the definition sense. In the gameplay sense...

Adventures in Verisimilitude: the Robot Police Patrol, Patlabor OVA | We  Remember Love

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

EVAs, strictly speaking, are neither in the definition sense. In the gameplay sense...

Oh.

Alright but MechaGodzilla is definitely a Super type.

People complain about Berwick Saga being confusing, but this? This is on an entirely different level. The HUD is littered with numbers and names and I have no idea what any of them are supposed to do or convey, because the game hasn't told me anything. It just tossed me into the action, made me one-shot a bunch of robots and left it at that. I suppose I could read a guide, but you'll have to forgive me for liking it best when games teach me their mechanics by themselves.

What I'm trying to say is, tomorrow I'll keep playing at least a little bit. The game deserves its fair chance. But, well... Hate me if you must, Acacia - I am thoroughly unimpressed so far.

The combat animations, though. Now that's some good shit, right there. This much I will say.

Also, because I'll admit I'm a bit pissy about the whole "yeah Ruben doesn't like story games" bit - You know, I think the problem is not that Ruben is too big dumb for story games, but rather the manner of story that's being told here. Now, don't get me wrong, please, before you all start screaming obscenities at me; I am NOT saying this story is bad or anything like that. If there's anything objectionable I would point out, it's that it introduces too many things and characters too quickly, but beyond that it seems perfectly fine.

It's just that, when I think back to all of my favorite games that are more story-heavy, or at least that I prefered for their story... Stuff like Omori, Banner Saga, Return of the Obra Dinn, you could count Papers Please too... Or even the few shows that I've watched and can say I would put above the rest! Well, it's not like this. I think I just generally don't enjoy stories like this. And, hey, I think I've a right to that.

...I hope this post won't generate too much controversy.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's a little bit confusing.

King Kong vs Godzilla refers to the 1962 original.

Godzilla vs Kong refers to the 2021 rematch.

This is not the first time Godzilla movies have had very similar names. See: Mothra vs Godzilla (1963) and Godzilla vs Mothra (1992). Or how about Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (1974), Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla 2 (1993), and Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla (2002). The movies i just mentioned have nothing to do with each other outside of featuring the Kaiju in the names.

And if we wanna go even further, the Americanized version of the original Godzilla was titled Godzilla: King of the Monsters, which was the exact same title they'd end up using for the 2019 film. 

Godzilla 2.

There, I have solved the problem.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Very glad you enjoyed it tho.

Thanks! I'm glad too. The beginning was a bit slow, because they had to introduce all the human idiots, but as soon as the action properly started it became really fun.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As far as i'm concerned, Kaga Ending and Kaga Returns Ending are both the bad ending.

You just couldn't leave it at that, could you. You just had to break all the positivity and make me hate you again.

SRW J was made when games still expected you to learn from their instruction manuals. So that one is understandable since you're not getting that if you emulate it.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

SRW J was made when games still expected you to learn from their instruction manuals. So that one is understandable since you're not getting that if you emulate it.

Of course. I'll take a quick look through the guide you sent me tomorrow, and see if that helps.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You just couldn't leave it at that, could you. You just had to break all the positivity and make me hate you again.

Eternal Rivals the both of you xD

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Of course. I'll take a quick look through the guide you sent me tomorrow, and see if that helps.

The wiki itself won't tell you how to play, though. It has databases for stuff that is in-game, but also stuff that isn't, so it's still worth checking it out.

Anyway, if you truly get lost, just ask me. I do know how to play these games, after all.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Eternal Rivals the both of you xD

It's his fault, he started it!

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The wiki itself won't tell you how to play, though. It has databases for stuff that is in-game, but also stuff that isn't, so it's still worth checking it out.

Anyway, if you truly get lost, just ask me. I do know how to play these games, after all.

All right. Thanks. I was okay in the first battle because everything died in two shots, but I imagine I might run into problems down the line.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

not the mushroom? xD

...I-I just noticed the mushroom's...

Why did you point this out!? I hadn't noticed, you bastard! My mind was clean...! What have you done?!

Thanks! I'm glad too. The beginning was a bit slow, because they had to introduce all the human idiots, but as soon as the action properly started it became really fun.

Yep, that is how it usually goes.

I'm not someone who's gonna go "the humans don't matter" but this franchise isn't known for it's well written human plots, even if i think some human plots in these movies are better than they are usually given credit. Though i am actually expecting decent character writing from Singular Point since that's a TV series and as such, there's more time for development and so far, it's working.

King Kong movies generally have better humans tho since those movies focus more on the emotional aspect and aren't as much of a spectacle.

LeaSmug.png

Edited by Armagon

I really need to continue that game one day...

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...I-I just noticed the mushroom's...

Why did you point this out!? I hadn't noticed, you bastard! My mind was clean...! What have you done?!

I aim to please

Edited by Shrimperor

Will I get to comment on the cursed page?

I finished unpacking my room! I now have a date with Odessa- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. No idea how that got there, nope...

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Well, it wasn't so much unenjoyable as saddening. It was just going back through the same forest that we've walked through for years...Only to see it mostly torn down. There's just...Nothing there anymore other than dirt.

I’m sorry to read that.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I have tasted the forbidden fruit.

This is going to be a shitshow.

LET'S GO!

That’s barely recognizable to the original.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But... But I've played story games in the past and enjoyed them... Guess that was just a dream.

Ohhh. That explains it, I suppose.

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

People complain about Berwick Saga being confusing, but this? This is on an entirely different level. The HUD is littered with numbers and names and I have no idea what any of them are supposed to do or convey, because the game hasn't told me anything. It just tossed me into the action, made me one-shot a bunch of robots and left it at that. I suppose I could read a guide, but you'll have to forgive me for liking it best when games teach me their mechanics by themselves.

What I'm trying to say is, tomorrow I'll keep playing at least a little bit. The game deserves its fair chance. But, well... Hate me if you must, Acacia - I am thoroughly unimpressed so far.

The combat animations, though. Now that's some good shit, right there. This much I will say.

Also, because I'll admit I'm a bit pissy about the whole "yeah Ruben doesn't like story games" bit - You know, I think the problem is not that Ruben is too big dumb for story games, but rather the manner of story that's being told here. Now, don't get me wrong, please, before you all start screaming obscenities at me; I am NOT saying this story is bad or anything like that. If there's anything objectionable I would point out, it's that it introduces too many things and characters too quickly, but beyond that it seems perfectly fine.

It's just that, when I think back to all of my favorite games that are more story-heavy, or at least that I prefered for their story... Stuff like Omori, Banner Saga, Return of the Obra Dinn, you could count Papers Please too... Or even the few shows that I've watched and can say I would put above the rest! Well, it's not like this. I think I just generally don't enjoy stories like this. And, hey, I think I've a right to that.

...I hope this post won't generate too much controversy.

Godzilla 2.

There, I have solved the problem.

Well yeah, you can be a story game without having a story that would take up five books. Having a focus on the story can be done without massive plot dumps. Case and point: every game that I like.

Edited by Sooks