• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Watching that reminds me how Daimos rarely appears in SRW. SRW MX was its last appearance, at least when it comes to main-series SRW. A shame.

I finished Vestaria Saga Gaiden: Holy Sword of Silvanister today. Gonna drop some thoughts in here, spoiler-tagged just so people can choose to ignore it if they like.

Spoiler

For map design, I found it quite good.
15-19 and 21-25 were all quite great maps, and while midgame was a bit of a dip, I didn't mind much. Maps like Chapter 9 were super cool in concept despite needing a slight touch-up for stuff (the bottom GBJ fence is just weird), and some maps were just fantastic. My favorites off the top of my head were 7x and 21. 24, despite being levers and warp tiles everywhere, was also fantastic
Earlygame was mostly great though 2 was still Zade's Marathon Simulator and 3 stops you dead in your tracks once you approach Drake, but 1 and 4-7x make for a solid earlygame
I really like the story despite it being so rough due to machine translation; while the Margulites are important, the game only focuses on them when it needs to, and instead keeps a lot of its attention on the details behind the war in the first game
Though SRPG studio did crash twice during the playthrough, and lagged a bit during Ch20 and 25. Just restarting it was fine, but the one crash I had in Ch18, which caused me to lose some progress, did hurt.
Ultimately, though, Holy Sword of Silvanister was an incredibly unique experience. It's still super inaccessible right now, but if it gets a proper translation like VS1 got, I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's still very enjoyable story-wise with the rough machine translation and Zephgarus's scripts, but it's very hard to get used to, and a bit cumbersome.

So... yeah. Not sure how to rank it just yet, will take a bit of time to do so. It's up there, though, despite its rough patches.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

First slave I actually meet and he’s happy he’s a slave. Yiiiikes...

Who even WANTS historical accuracy in games?

Don't be fooled. You'd be surprised just the amounts of "rights" a slave could actually be entitled to in Ancient Greece. Depending on the city, of course.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Don't be fooled. You'd be surprised just the amounts of "rights" a slave could actually be entitled to in Ancient Greece. Depending on the city, of course.

Slaves are still slaves.

But you have the floor. What rights?

Just now, Sooks said:

Slaves are still slaves.

But you have the floor. What rights?

"There were different types of slaves in ancient Greece, and their living conditions and expectations were strongly linked to their occupations. The most unfortunate were the slaves involved in mining, who were condemned to a miserable life and almost certainly an early death. However, not all slaves were doomed to suffer cruelty and abuse, and some could expect a more or less decent living. Slaves specialized as craftsmen, for example, could work and live separately from their masters and could engage in commerce and generate income, though a portion of what they earned had to go to their masters’ pockets. Spartan slaves (helots) could enjoy family life. State slaves in the Athenian army who died during combat were even honored with a state funeral, the same as free citizens."

"Some slaves could hope to gain their freedom. It was possible mainly for those in a position of saving money, especially those who where involved in wage labor and therefore had some degree of financial autonomy. Slaves who were able to save enough money could buy their freedom by paying their masters an agreed sum. We also know of slaves employed in the army who were granted their freedom as a reward for their service. At Delphi, many inscriptions displaying the names of slaves who bought their freedom have been found. They illustrate the diverse array of regions from which the slave were procured: Caria, Egypt, Lydia, Phoenicia, Syria, and many other countries appear."

"Household slaves didn't have it so bad especially if their masters were kind and easy-going. They were often treated as members of the household. Slaves that worked in the fields had a hard life but they were not nearly as bad off as the slaves who worked in iron, copper, tin and silver mines. They spent their entire day laying on their stomach in hot, suffocating, narrow passageways."

Taken from: http://factsanddetails.com/world/cat56/sub406/entry-6234.html Can find more info there.

Simply put, slavery was a spectrum. 

21 minutes ago, Sooks said:

First slave I actually meet and he’s happy he’s a slave. Yiiiikes...

This needs more context. Who exactly is this slave?

In fact, it was common throughout history. What entailed being a slave always depended. A slave could be the one working at the plantation, but slave could also be the slave driver / overseer, ordering the former to work in behalf of their master. Of course the latter would think himself as better off than the former, even if both were still slaves.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This needs more context. Who exactly is this slave?

He is the local magistrate’s “most trusted servant”. That’s the most you learn about him, from that quest anyway, I think that might have been the beginning of a quest line.

Edited by Sooks

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

He is the local magistrate’s “most trusted servant”. That’s the most you learn about him, from that quest anyway, I think that might have been the beginning of a quest line.

Then that explains it. He's likely happy that by being a magistrate's slave, his job likely only entails administrative work and gets to live in a high-class dwelling, even if as a servant. Instead of being a slave forced to toil in a mine. Or even a free citizen that can't get any decent-paying job due to lacking class or connections and lives in squalor.

It's still wrong, make no mistake, but things are never simple.

30 minutes ago, Benice said:

Who even WANTS historical accuracy in games?

And yes, it WAS historically accurate.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's still wrong, make no mistake, but things are never simple.

Indeed. Thanks.

He only says he gets “food, shelter, safety, and security.” When he’s talking about it anyway.

Maybe he’s just an optimist, he doesn’t really say he likes it...

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Indeed. Thanks.

He only says he gets “food, shelter, safety, and security.”

That basically sums it up, yep.

And yes, that was also accurate. Ironically, being a slave sometimes, key word: "sometimes", meant you were better off than many free citizens. In Ancient Greece at least. Or at least, that was more the norm back then. Of course, this can bring to mind the quote about trading freedom for security.

Better than the more "modern" concept of slavery, but still worse than just having everyone be free.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I've enjoyed having that Godzilla pfp for like two months but now that Godzilla vs Kong is finally out and i've seen it twice (still not in theaters tho), i think it's time for a new pfp.

And what better pfp to go with for now than one of my new favorite characters of all time. Guillo Baten Kaitos is truly based.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Luigi. Luigi is the pattern. Every time I play Mario World, it's the All Stars version that has that unique Luigi sprite that Newgrounds loved to use for animations back in the 2000s.

Oh i was poking fun at the fact that your favorite 2D Mario is Super Mario World while your favorite 3D Mario is Super Mario 3D World.

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, it's not a problem in SRW J itself, maybe. Definitely with the final boss, maybe. It's just that in some games, they house animations like this one:

So sometimes you want to skip them. Though after a point they gave you a fast-forward option to just speed them up instead of skip.

Is it bad i think this is still faster than Tellius animations?

If you ask me why, it's because this one justifies it's length. But you'd still want to fast-forward/skip eventually.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

So someone asked me for good motivational/advice quotes from games...

any suggestions?

Screenshot_20210404-220541.png

43 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

In fact, it was common throughout history. What entailed being a slave always depended. A slave could be the one working at the plantation, but slave could also be the slave driver / overseer, ordering the former to work in behalf of their master. Of course the latter would think himself as better off than the former, even if both were still slaves.

So from what i gather, slaves in ancient Greece were more like unpaid interns with some extra steps, right? I mean heck, the fact that some slaves could buy their own freedom suggests they did get paid somehow.

Still not right but it does sound like ancient Greek slaves were generally treated like people.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So from what i gather, slaves in ancient Greece were more like unpaid interns with some extra steps, right? I mean heck, the fact that some slaves could buy their own freedom suggests they did get paid somehow.

Still not right but it does sound like ancient Greek slaves were generally treated like people.

Only some of them. As I mentioned, it was a spectrum, which would vary depending on the city-state. Some slaves had more freedoms than others. Some could have their own jobs and income and simply had to pay a tax to their masters.

But yes, ultimately, even if they were classified as property, they were still considered citizens for the most part.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I must point out that history was written by the slave owners, so take all this benevolent slave talk with a grain of salt, and there are still records of plenty of slaves murdering their slave owners. There is even a notable speech in ancient Greece discussing the murder of a slave owner by one of his 12 year old slaves....

Edit: younger than 12 years old, I missed that the boy was described as not yet 12...

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
for accuracy....

Oh, that's also true. But at the same time we as a society have changed over the centuries and millennia, and things like slavery have changed too. The way slavery was enacted just a century or two ago, or even today, was not the same as how it was practiced thousands of years ago. Depending on the era, the civilization, and other factors.

Perhaps there is a grain of salt in there, but some things aren't necessarily false either just because of who recorded them.

I finally find someone in Smash that actually wants to go alot of rounds and then... Smash Ultimate internet says "nope, have a communication error instead!" 

How dissapointing. 

26 minutes ago, Benice said:

I am small-brained.

The treatment of Ancient Greek slaves is a very very specific aspect of history. One I’m almost certain they wouldn’t teach in many schools, and certainly not elementary through high (or however you do it in Canada).

Besides, I’m the one who implied something negative about it.