• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

48 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah, i see. They went the Bayformers route where you can't actually tell who's who.

Exactly. Alucard was made less pretty and this was a mistake.

Apparently it was forecast to snow today. It's been pretty sunny instead, chilly though it may be due to northern winds.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hence me needing to distinguish myself as a moderate. I know those crazies who think Byleth and Pyra ate their parents and shat them out on grandpa's grave exist. The Internet assures they'll exist and be vocal about it.

That's not even the worst part, these same people think that Sephiroth is completely justified as a sword character! 

Honestly, how dumb can some people be? He uses a SWORD. Being the villain of FF VII does not automatically give him a free pass. That logic is stupid.

Okay DQIII, I found the Bottomless Pot, I found the NPC who tells me the general direction of where to use it, but I can't find the location where it actually works! Old school obscurity over what to do next hasn't been that bad in this game, which is surprising, but all of a sudden, it is.

I'm all of a sudden in the mood to start my fourth and final Etrian Odyssey V playthrough, not sure why. But I feel conflicted about starting it, because I still have my two EOU2 runs and my Nexus run unfinished. Do I start it anyhow, or do I force myself to finish the other ones? Will banishing the desire to play EOV ever again make it easier for me to swing back into EON and U2?

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Does it sound strange if his Judgement redesign makes his face look androgynous enough in a specific way that he could be an Alucardia? A lady who is stuck-up and cold and bossy?

44 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That's not even the worst part, these same people think that Sephiroth is completely justified as a sword character! 

Honestly, how dumb can some people be? He uses a SWORD. Being the villain of FF VII does not automatically give him a free pass. That logic is stupid.

As someone who finds Sephiroth, setting aside my thoughts on his character, a totally unnecessary addition, I agree.😉

What does he add? Nothing, besides more FFVII really. Not like IV-XV are complete junk undeserving of the slightest attention. If we wanted someone from VII with potentially unique gameplay at least, I'd choose... Yuffie, or Vincent, or Barret. We don't have anyone with a large shuriken in Smash, we need a better ninja than Sheik and no to licensed anime ninjas.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

50 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Hey don’t talk crap about my pretty dhampir princely husb...*coughs*...favorite Castlevania character.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Does it sound strange if his Judgement redesign makes his face look androgynous enough in a specific way that he could be an Alucardia? A lady who is stuck-up and cold and bossy?

I will say I don't see it to that extent.

Maybe more than Netflix!Alucard, but I'd say even SotN's design is more so.

Looking at this from an artbook for the game I can see it. Certainly a cold character.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Hey don’t talk crap about my pretty dhampir princely husb...*coughs*...favorite Castlevania character.

Hey, I said Judgment was at fault. He's been designed as pretty for some time, it should be consistent imo. To call him pretty is not an insult, merely an observation of him from what I've seen

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Okay DQIII, I found the Bottomless Pot, I found the NPC who tells me the general direction of where to use it, but I can't find the location where it actually works! Old school obscurity over what to do next hasn't been that bad in this game, which is surprising, but all of a sudden, it is.

You know, when I played DQIII I actually had a document with a text dump of the NES's version text. I used it to compare it with the text of the mobile version, precisely to see just how much the game is telling you or not. I did with the full Erdrick trilogy.

My find? They actually changed text to tell you less straight stuff in the mobile versions, kinda. Not by much, but it's noticeable. And that part of III is one of them. At least, I'm sure of it. Was it the horse at Persistence did you talked to? Since he's the one who tells you about the shoals in the ocean west of the town. At least in the NES text. Forgot what exactly he says in other versions.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As someone who finds Sephiroth, setting aside my thoughts on his character, a totally unnecessary addition, I agree.😉

What does he add? Nothing, besides more FFVII really. Not like IV-XV are complete junk undeserving of the slightest attention. If wanted someone from VII with potentially unique gameplay at least, I'd choose... Yuffie, or Vincent, or Barret. We don't have anyone with a large shuriken in Smash, we need a better ninja than Sheik and no to licensed anime ninjas.

Honestly, if they had to add a third SE rep, and another sword user, might as well had been Crono. We've been had!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

One thing to keep in mind is that in the original game everyone was slower. Not entirely sure why they made them run faster in the Switch version, but I imagine Toad must give Sonic a run for his money now. Quite literally!

I thought they simply made the entire game run faster.

Kinda like how Age of Empires II runs at 1.5x speed by default. Or 1.7x for the Definitive Edition.

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I thought they simply made the entire game run faster.

Kinda like how Age of Empires II runs at 1.5x speed by default. Or 1.7x for the Definitive Edition.

I'm pretty sure the original already ran at 60 FPS. From what I read, they just upped everyone's speed for some reason.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm pretty sure the original already ran at 60 FPS. From what I read, they just upped everyone's speed for some reason.

Framerate and gamespeed are different things.
It's just that some games are coded in a way that links those two things.

20 minutes ago, Sooks said:

@Interdimensional Observer

I have attracted enough tourists to make my culture dominant over Egypt.

But what does that mean?

It means you're one step closer to the Culture Victory, you're getting more Tourists from them then they have at home. Once your culture is dominant over everyone, you win.

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

My find? They actually changed text to tell you less straight stuff in the mobile versions, kinda. Not by much, but it's noticeable. And that part of III is one of them. At least, I'm sure of it. Was it the horse at Persistence did you talked to? Since he's the one who tells you about the shoals in the ocean west of the town. At least in the NES text. Forgot what exactly he says in other versions.

Do they mean in the thin little rivers or that big rectangle of water in the rivers just west of Persistence? Because I've tried a tens of times and nothing has resulted from any of it. Or do they mean I have to sail around "North America" and reach the coast of "California" and use the Pot there? I haven't tried that.

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Honestly, if they had to add a third SE rep, and another sword user, might as well had been Crono. We've been had!

True, CT is the defining soul of a good 16-bit RPG for many gamers and game developers. He'd keep the Japanese sword too, albeit a much shorter katana than the tachi of Sephiroth. Which Triple Tech for the Final Smash- Delta Force or Frost Arc?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Do they mean in the thin little rivers or that big rectangle of water in the rivers just west of Persistence? Because I've tried a tens of times and nothing has resulted from any of it. Or do they mean I have to sail around "North America" and reach the coast of "California" and do use the Pot there? I haven't tried that.

The horse outright tells you "western ocean" (again, at least in the NES English text), so yes, you have to go to the "Pacific Ocean". The shoals are hard to miss.

I take it then you didn't talk to the horse at Persistence? Just for clarity's sake, go talk to him, and see what he tells you.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

True, CT is the defining soul of a good 16-bit RPG for many gamers and game developers. He'd keep the Japanese sword too, albeit a much shorter katana than the tachi of Sephiroth. Which Triple Tech for the Final Smash- Delta Force or Frost Arc?

Not to mention, CT was basically a Square-Enix project before SE was a thing. It's quite symbolic for the history of the two companies.

Good question. Frost Arc is what the art of the game box showed. But Delta Force is the tripple tech for the 1000AD trio. Hmmm... I'm inclined to say the latter. Since 1000AD trio.

Or maybe Luminaire becomes his Final?

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There is nothing like that feeling of spending 100 turns on a world wonder only for it to be finished by someone else. Pain.

comic422.png

Edited by Acacia Sgt

"dayni, are you really talking up something you like getting more shit yet again?"

https://www.icegif.com/wp-content/uploads/yes-icegif-2.gif

Spoiler

Apparently Caslevania Season 4 is soon too.

Honestly?

(Once I started laughing at this I had to link it.)

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There is nothing like that feeling of spending 100 turns on a world wonder only for it to be finished by someone else. Pain.

That happens, Wonders are a race, and it's terrible when its close. Worse than the instances where I haven't even researched the tech/civic that unlocks one I want that and I get a report it has already been built. I'm looking at you Forbidden City.

Never try to go for Stonehenge by the way, the AI looooooooves it and its the first Wonder available. You have to luck out and neglect everything else to get it. That, the Hanging Gardens, and the paid DLC Great Bath and Etemenanki get picked off real fast. The Pyramids, Oracle (of Delphi), and Apadana tend to go quickly too nowadays. But the Pyramids are totally worth it and the Oracle is good If you can get them.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I take it then you didn't talk to the horse at Persistence? Just for clarity's sake, go talk to him, and see what he tells you.

I did. I just thought it was weird he said it's "west of Persistence", as if it was a hop skip and a jump away from the town, not "sail around the entire continent" far. It'd be faster Zooming to Jipangu and sailing east from there.

Thank you for the clarification!😄

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

comic422.png

From 2015, which feels like forever ago, but this is timeless.🤣

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I did. I just thought it was weird he said it's "west of Persistence", as if it was a hop skip and a jump away from the town, not "sail around the entire continent" far. It'd be faster Zooming to Jipangu and sailing east from there.

Thank you for the clarification!😄

If he mentions the ocean, then yeah, the game wasn't being vague about it. You wouldn't mistake the rivers and lakes for the ocean now, would you? XD

Yeah, overall game tells you in straight directions, not how to get there, heh.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Worse than the instances where I haven't even researched the tech/civic that unlocks one I want that and I get a report it has already been built. I'm looking at you Forbidden City.

Hey I got that one!

Never try to go for Stonehenge by the way, the AI looooooooves it and its the first Wonder available. You have to luck out and neglect everything else to get it. 

I considered going for it before I knew there could only be one of each wonder but didn’t and it paid off because someone swooped in and grabbed it.

the Hanging Gardens

I got that one too.

and the paid DLC Great Bath and Etemenanki get picked off real fast. The Pyramids, Oracle (of Delphi), and Apadana tend to go quickly too nowadays. But the Pyramids are totally worth it and the Oracle is good If you can get them.

Someone got the pyramids before I even had the ability to construct them.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As someone who finds Sephiroth, setting aside my thoughts on his character, a totally unnecessary addition, I agree.

What does he add? Nothing, besides more FFVII really. Not like IV-XV are complete junk undeserving of the slightest attention. If we wanted someone from VII with potentially unique gameplay at least, I'd choose... Yuffie, or Vincent, or Barret. We don't have anyone with a large shuriken in Smash, we need a better ninja than Sheik and no to licensed anime ninjas.

I dont mind if hes there, but dont try to justify it like it's okay for one and not all.

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As someone who is growing his hair long right now, I think I'll wait on that a bit. If the state of my father's head is any indication, I think I'll have plenty of time to be bald in the future.

You should start now to be used to it in the future. Well, I hope your hair turns out great!

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ah, i see. They went the Bayformers route where you can't actually tell who's who.

Reminds me of what Adam Wingard said in regard to designing that guy in GvK: “The Transformers, they just looked like metal. They looked like a plane crash. So I thought, that's the thing I wanted to avoid. They were too complex. There are too many moving parts, and I couldn't latch on to anything. Nothing felt iconic with that Transformers design.” That guy ended up being inspired by the simplicity of classic Transformers instead.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What does he add? Nothing, besides more FFVII really.

To be fair, FFVII might as well be a new series for how much content it had before Sephiroth. Judging a character for just using a sword is dumb; if a character can only use a sword and has no other unique abilities (like Chrom) then sure, but that doesn't apply to the majority of potential sword users.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

We don't have anyone with a large shuriken in Smash, we need a better ninja than Sheik and no to licensed anime ninjas.

Sorry, Team Ninja said there are no plans for Ryu Hayabusa at the moment, so you'll have to wait until next game for a better ninja.