Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Personally, that's what I like of IV's gameplay. More so than other FF's (save X at least at first thanks to how the Sphere Grid is structured). Too much freedom it overwhelms me. Of course, the DS version had to add Augments, but for the most part it's still restricted enough to not have to worry about it.

Frankly I like what Augments bring to the table, but they're also not necessary to clear it either and the complexity they isn't massive.

(Can you tell that I like FFIV?)

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Frankly I like what Augments bring to the table, but they're also not necessary to clear it either and the complexity they isn't massive.

(Can you tell that I like FFIV?)

Certainly. It's not as egregious as other FF's tend to be.

Haha, IV is also my most favorite FF.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

I've only played IV on the DS, and I personally didn't like the pacing of the difficulty, but the game was really fun! Oh and the CPU battle, fuck that. 

Well, the DS version did made difficulty tweaks, compared to other versions.

And also changed the dynamics of the CPU battle, as a matter of fact. So long you know which node to kill and which one to ignore for the most part, the battle's alright.

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I've only played IV on the DS, and I personally didn't like the pacing of the difficulty, but the game was really fun! Oh and the CPU battle, fuck that. 

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And also changed the dynamics of the CPU battle, as a matter of fact. So long you know which node to kill and which one to ignore for the most part, the battle's alright.

They forgot to edit the text in the DS version, so what is said in game will get you killed instead of being the solution.

So that's a mark against it in fairness.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, the DS version did made difficulty tweaks, compared to other versions.

Yeah, the game tells you to kill the defence mode first when you should kill the attack mode first, haha.

Edit: ninja's with that one.

Edited by lightcosmo

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Movement level ups.

They're one hell of a drug, let me tell you that much.

Oh?

Who got one?

1 minute ago, Spara said:

Oh?

Who got one?

No man, that's not how it works. I say something vague to pique your interest, and then you click on my LP and give me views. That's the way things are.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

No man, that's not how it works. I say something vague to pique your interest, and then you click on my LP and give me views. That's the way things are.

Oh. Wasn't sure if it was SGW, lol.

Spoiler

If Lex gets another one...

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Personally, that's what I like of IV's gameplay. More so than other FF's (save X at least at first thanks to how the Sphere Grid is structured). Too much freedom it overwhelms me. Of course, the DS version had to add Augments, but for the most part it's still restricted enough to not have to worry about it.

That I do appreciate V's gameplay a lot says we're of different minds here. I like a good class system, mix & matching two classes not necessary.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-11-at-1-22-07-PM.png

Does this scare you?😛

I don't need classes, totally fixed characters with some options as to where I can take their skillset/role works for me. Dragon Quest VIII's five skill trees per character or XI's grid system for instance. And not all class systems are equally fun, Octopath Traveler's felt too stiff and simplistic, while FFXII the Zodiac Age's was an egregious disappointment.

IRL, the "Paradox of Choice" (the technical term for too many options creating bothersome indecision), does get me in a variety of things, and one of my core faults is indecisiveness (the other standout being a lack of drive). But in video games -provided I'm not doomed if I choose poorly and can't correct my mistake- I like gameplay options. 

As for "classless freedom" like FFVI-VIII, which are generally the same, wherein the characters themselves mean little and the Magicite/Materia/Guardian Forces you give them mean everything, I generally don't like them. There is neither "structure" built around the characters, nor around classes you can put them in. And the structure of the magic rocks/junctions is as solid as a vat of gelatin. Everyone feels like an amorphous blob and that ain't fun. Bartz and Lenna might play identical if you make them both Summoners, but at least you have to pour their liquid flesh into a bronze cast called a class. Assigning both Tifa and Cloud a Fire Materia doesn't feel like it does the same IMO. 

Oh. Wasn't sure if it was SGW, lol.

I mean, the only other game I'm playing right now is Berwick Saga, and I'm not using Marcel, so there's not much chance of getting one.

Hide contents

If Lex gets another one...

Tune in in a couple days to find out! Please do I feel insecure if my viewcount goes down aaaaaaaaaa

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

while FFXII the Zodiac Age's was an egregious disappointment.

Ooh, this is so true. This idea has so much potential and they did... nothing with it! 

What makes the classes feel unique? Besides weapon type, that is.

Er, wait, to be fair IZJS only allowed you to choose 1 job, not 2.

Edited by lightcosmo

42 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Gold is most difficult to manage on a Domination play.

You could pinch a little savings by merging units into Corps, and later Armies. Corps are unlocked with the Nationalism civic, and combine two units into a single one with +10 Combat Strength (having 30 Combat Strength more than your opponent equates to OHKOing them I think). Corps are 25% less expensive to maintain each turn than two separate units. Armies can be formed by combining a single unit with a Corps and are unlocked with the Mobilization civic, they cost 1/3rd less in daily upkeep than three separate units.

Thank you.

42 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For Scythia in particular, if you're desperate, you can have your Builders lay down some Kurgans. These offer only 1-3 Gold per turn each if you assign population to work the tiles (hopefully they'll be buffed later this month), but it is a source of additional Gold.

Assign population to work on the tiles..? That wasn’t on the tutorial...

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That I do appreciate V's gameplay a lot says we're of different minds here. I like a good class system, mix & matching two classes not necessary.

Hah, I do like class systems. Just I prefer otherwise having too much freedom of changing between them.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-11-at-1-22-07-PM.png

Does this scare you?😛

I don't need classes, totally fixed characters with some options as to where I can take their skillset/role works for me. Dragon Quest VIII's five skill trees per character or XI's grid system for instance. And not all class systems are equally fun, Octopath Traveler's felt too stiff and simplistic, while FFXII the Zodiac Age's was an egregious disappointment.

IRL, the "Paradox of Choice" (the technical term for too many options creating bothersome indecision), does get me in a variety of things, and one of my core faults is indecisiveness (the other standout being a lack of drive). But in video games -provided I'm not doomed if I choose poorly and can't correct my mistake- I like gameplay options.

Not really. That looks very straightforward.

On those cases I just make a plan beforehand and work towards it ignoring the rest that I won't use or isn't as critical to get.

As for "classless freedom" like FFVI-VIII, which are generally the same, wherein the characters themselves mean little and the Magicite/Materia/Guardian Forces you give them mean everything, I generally don't like them. There is neither "structure" built around the characters, nor around classes you can put them in. And the structure of the magic rocks/junctions is as solid as a vat of gelatin. Everyone feels like an amorphous blob and that ain't fun. Bartz and Lenna might play identical if you make them both Summoners, but at least you have to pour their liquid flesh into a bronze cast called a class. Assigning both Tifa and Cloud a Fire Materia doesn't feel like it does the same IMO. 

As above. For those cases I just plan everything in advance. Which to me is its own kind of fun, as I like planning things, but ultimately I still prefer skipping over the need for it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Omg is that a JoJo reference???

Lmao

I don't JoJo fyi

42 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Movement level ups.

They're one hell of a drug, let me tell you that much.

that they are indeed.

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Lmao

I don't JoJo fyi

Neither do I, but eh, memes.

that they are indeed.

Movement level ups are like capture. They deserve to be in more games than just Thracia.

In fact, doesn't 3H have the ability to set move growths coded in? They just set everyone's growth to 0 because 3H can't do anything right, and even when they could, don't.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

In fact, doesn't 3H have the ability to set move growths coded in?

Yeah i think so lol.

B7FsGVc.png

Youtube, you had one job...

for some reason i've been in a berwick mood today, and if the randomizer actually randomized classes, i would've actually tried it haha

38 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Ooh, this is so true. This idea has so much potential and they did... nothing with it! 

What makes the classes feel unique? Besides weapon type, that is.

Armor and spell options I suppose? Maybe a handful of extra Lores worth 1 stat point in Str or Mag each.

The classes they picked sounded like a good set of twelve. Except we don't get class costumes, Shikari and Foebreaker could've looked awesome, and that is the symbolic tip of the iceberg. There are those who like the XII system, I mean them no offense, but for me, it was the half-hearted adaptation of a too broad not-class system into a "class system". It's untraditional, XII does make equipment matter a lot in gameplay so equipment options do matter, and there might be be merit in experimentation. However, in the end, a more typical job system would've been more fun, personally speaking.

36 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

As above. For those cases I just plan everything in advance. Which to me is its own kind of fun, as I like planning things, but ultimately I still prefer skipping over the need for it.

Planning things seems to be some of the most fun I have. I often plan more than I put into practice.😝

36 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Assign population to work on the tiles..? That wasn’t on the tutorial...

The game will normally assign the citizens of a city to work on the tiles it thinks should, and adjust this as the tiles available to the city change.

Select the City Center tile of a city, then, select the icon with the head on on it, to the left of the cog icon. This will show you all the tiles the city own and which tiles the citizens of the city are presently working (dark blue means no citizen on that tile, white mean it's being worked) and the yields provided from by each tile if they were worked.

If you want to force a citizen to a work a tile presently not being worked (the City Center tile will always be worked), all you have to do is click that tile and citizen will be reassigned to it. The citizen reassigned might not have been from a tile you wanted them to stop working. In that case, you can lock citizens to tiles they're presently working if you want to make sure the city keeps working that tile until you want otherwise.

If after selecting the City Center you press right of the production cog, you can fill in one of the little circles with Culture, Food, Production, Science, Faith, or Gold next to them. This will put the city on a focus towards that yield, meaning if you fill in the Food🌽 circle, the city will work the tiles that provide the most Food possible (if the city doesn't have any tiles that offer something, like rarely found in terrain Science, it'll proceed with its normal tile selection priorities).

Micromanaging tiles isn't necessary, on its own the game does a generally good job of this, though I do check it once in a while. The time when I'm most particular is in the very beginning of the game, if I have a 3 Food Wheat tile next to a 1 Food 3 Production Wooded Plains Hill, the game will naturally prefer the hill to the Wheat. I'd prefer growth on turn 1 of the game, and working that Wheat will get me to 2 Population faster, allowing me to get out a Settler sooner if I wanted, and at 2 Pop I could work that wooded hill too. Once a city has grown up to like 4-5, unless the city is starving itself when it doesn't have to, I leave things alone.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah i think so lol.

B7FsGVc.png

Youtube, you had one job...

That is the wrong channel to listen to extensions, you must give ME views! Me, only me!

for some reason i've been in a berwick mood today,

Berwick mood is always a good mood!

and if the randomizer actually randomized classes, i would've actually tried it haha

Yeha, this is how I feel about it too.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

I mean, it can't be a coincidence that Salem looks so much like Kakyoin.

Wasn't it confirmed to be reference? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I seem to recall it was..