Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That is the wrong channel to listen to extensions, you must give ME views! Me, only me

you don't have City of Ventures extended, i think. Atleast i didn't see it xD

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Armor and spell options I suppose? Maybe a handful of extra Lores worth 1 stat point in Str or Mag each.

The classes they picked sounded like a good set of twelve. Except we don't get class costumes, Shikari and Foebreaker could've looked awesome, and that is the symbolic tip of the iceberg. There are those who like the XII system, I mean them no offense, but for me, it was the half-hearted adaptation of a too broad not-class system into a "class system". It's untraditional, XII does make equipment matter a lot in gameplay so equipment options do matter, and there might be be merit in experimentation. However, in the end, a more typical job system would've been more fun, personally speaking.

As far as armor goes, they should have had more than 3 types if that was their goal.

That sounds wicked neat!

I also think the equipment could be a tad more unique overall. Like some form of unique accessory type for all jobs, etc.

16 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

you don't have City of Ventures extended, i think. Atleast i didn't see it xD

Funnily enough, the fellow whose video you found has a comment in my video.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Funnily enough, the fellow whose video you found has a comment in my video.

Welp i am blind sometimes

haha

Funny enough i did find the Tavern version in your playlist, but not this one xD

Edited by Shrimperor

40 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

for some reason i've been in a berwick mood today, and if the randomizer actually randomized classes, i would've actually tried it haha

There is a very meme-y rebalance patch. I'm starting playing it today, in fact!

15 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Welp i am blind sometimes

haha

Funny enough i did find the Tavern version in your playlist, but not this one xD

That's okay, my playlist isn't neatly organized like Aggro's is.

8 minutes ago, Spara said:

There is a very meme-y rebalance patch. I'm starting playing it today, in fact!

Any particularly noteworthy changes?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Any particularly noteworthy changes?

They buffed a lot of durability for stuff like Perseid, and changed around some stuff so, for example, Adel is easier to promote. Or Esteban getting Aim and Pursuit earlier, or Aegina being better now (Pallas Riana is 4x4 and not 3x4, and Aegina starts with 4 mag). The biggest and funniest change is the patch note for Derrick: 

Spoiler

Is now Jesus. Terrain penalties are for mortals.

Just now, Spara said:

They buffed a lot of durability for stuff like Perseid, and changed around some stuff so, for example, Adel is easier to promote. Or Esteban getting Aim and Pursuit earlier, or Aegina being better now (Pallas Riana is 4x4 and not 3x4, and Aegina starts with 4 mag).

Right... So in a way it's like Berwick Saga easy mode? Not bad, sounds like a fun experience to attempt.

Just now, Spara said:

The biggest and funniest change is the patch note for Derrick: 

Hide contents

Is now Jesus. Terrain penalties are for mortals.

YES!

DERRICK!

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

So he can move on Water or something?

It says "All terrain penalties have been reduced to 1."

So, from my understanding, he can move full move on any tile that isn't "X"

The bad thing about this is that it goes directly against Derrick's character. He's supposed to suck.

...But the idea of Derrick Christ is too glorious, so I'm willing to give 'em a pass.

IIRC They also buffed his weapon skill, or at least, his LShield skill, to make him into a tanky boi. 

Another thing about FFXII's job system: they should have change the LP system completely in favor of standard ability learning. 

Whether its job level based, level based, event based. Whatever, anything would have been better than what we have.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Gameplay-wise, you're certainly right, since it is so restricted and simple. Yet narratively, it is where the franchise first tried to go big and ambitious. By modern standards, it is a ho-hum traditional tale, but from a historical perspective at least, it was dashingly dramatic. 

Even narrative wise the game has aged badly. Cecil achieves his redemption in two hours of play. Characters die and revive a while later and the main villains are mentally controlled by the real bad guy, who is one of the worst in the franchise. As you said, the story was the first time that Square was ambitious and we must respect the game for that, but it doesn't hold up to this day. At least imo, anyway.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No man, that's not how it works. I say something vague to pique your interest, and then you click on my LP and give me views. That's the way things are.

How's your LP going? I ain't giving you views /s

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for "classless freedom" like FFVI-VIII, which are generally the same, wherein the characters themselves mean little and the Magicite/Materia/Guardian Forces you give them mean everything, I generally don't like them.

The characters in FFVI are very different from each other. Even if you give them the same magicite and the same spells, the characters are still going to function differently. Locke will always be your only Thief, only Sabin can use Blitz, etc...

1 hour ago, Maof06 said:

The characters in FFVI are very different from each other. Even if you give them the same magicite and the same spells, the characters are still going to function differently. Locke will always be your only Thief, only Sabin can use Blitz, etc...

Some of the distinguishing abilities are thin however. To run through them all with a loose X/10 rating.:

• Sabin's Blitzes are great through and through, that is true. Aura Cannon and Raging Phoenix for much of the early & mid games, Phantom Rush for the World of Ruin. 9/10
  • Edgar's Tools are awesome pre-magic, and continue to have some use post-magic, but they do fall off. 6/10
  • Locke's thieving is useful, against a slew of bosses at least, though I forget if it's worth using on common foes. 5/10
  • Terra's is a temporary damage boost, that can't be bad, unless you've already hit the damage cap. 7/10
  • Strago's Lores can be learned quicker than some ultimate spells, which means if you aren't grinding they can good. -If you can find the Lores monsters that is. 5/10
  • Celes is second in importance only to Terra, and yet Runic, outside of the boss where you're told about it, is a little problematic. It stops you from casting Cure while its active, and Osmose is better for MP regeneration. I won't call it junk, but I never spammed it for anything. 3/10
  • Cyan's Bushidos start good, though the charge times get too long for the latter ones -though I hear iOS offers some form of corrective for Bushido. 6/10
  • Gau is absolutely defined by Rage. If you know which enemies provide the good ones and don't mind losing control of a character who does one thing for an entire fight barring any random basic attacks he does, Gau is great. Gau is better in a sense if you don't stop and take time to learn spells, because then his Rages are comparatively stronger than otherwise. 10/10
  • Mog's Dances mean you lose control of him, and while the abilities he can use are mostly alright (barring the ones insta-death immunity block), Gau has him outdone. And Gau has far greater availability. 4/10
  • Relm's Sketch seems objectively weak, and Control isn't good either -I think. I never used either really. 2/10
  • Shadow's Throw can have its uses, but I'm not sure how much. 5/10
  • Setzer is a gamble, I'm not sure how often Slots got me something other than Prismatic Flash, Gil Toss is literally tossing money out the window. His dice weapons are RNG, but interesting. 3/10
  • Gogo is flexibility and Mimic at the expense of stats, but he isn't worthless. I'll give mark him high. 8/10
  • Umaro is a joke. 1/10

So, most of these have at least conditional usefulness. In the end, and I may have been placing too much focus on it, magic can render their differences irrelevant. But early on, that isn't the case, and Gau and Sabin at a minimum remain distinctive for their abilities for most of the game. 

Nonetheless, magicite degrades the distinctiveness of FFVI's cast to the point where their unique commands mostly feel like an extra atop the basic attack command and spellcasting, they're not what drives my use of these characters in battle. In this regard, they are not unlike VII and VIII, where Limit Breaks are the tips of icebergs made of materia/junctions.

If I want to go back to an FF for the gameplay, my first pick is V, it is lightyears ahead of the next three games and its four predecessors in this regard. -Or so I see it. I'm fine if you differ. 

1 hour ago, Maof06 said:

and the main villains are mentally controlled by the real bad guy, who is one of the worst in the franchise.

True, Zemus's presence is nonexistent and his motivation lacking. Dare I say he makes FE's Medeus look good? Because seriously, Medeus the Shafted Dragon has it better than Zemus. Darth Golbez has to do all the heavy lifting with his ominous presence.

I see your criticisms. Saving almost everyone from death might be an overly cheery relic of the era; the counterargument would be the first Shin Megami Tensei (actually the third game) released the year after FFIV, Square could've kept everyone dead no problem. Though Cecil's conversion didn't come literally two hours fast, it didn't take the entire game, but it didn't feel rushed, for me. I can respect your opinion.

5 hours ago, Sooks said:

I gotta say, a domination run after you’ve cleared your starting continent is a worse walking simulator than fe4.

You can select a tile far away and end turn and the game will move the unit for you every turn until it reaches that destination, barring a unit blocking the way. The game won't necessarily select the best path, but does reduce the tedium somewhat. I do this if I'm crossing empty distances, if enemy units are near, I won't of course.

But yes, I understand this. It's the issue with "1 combat unit per tile".  I think I prefer going a size down on the maps for Domination and Religious Victories, to Small, it cuts down the default number of civs per match to 6. Or, you could pick the Terra map option. That forces all empires onto one landmass, placing all or almost all City-States on the other. You'll have barely any room to expand on your landmass, but it does mean all your opponents are right there, pick someone like Sumeria and you can conquer the whole world by the medieval era.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer