Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Ah. I was expecting the finale to be honest, but that section can be a bother.

Yeah, the jump from Hard to Lunatic isn't as big as from Normal to Hard from what I've seen. Though you can also more easily prep a 1-round (much as it's not helped by your Corrin's stats)

Maybe I could've figured it out, but everything after (and including) Takumi's castle drained me. It was all I could do to get past Iago with save states, and when I reached Garon and his map was even worse I just got the hell outta there. An unfortunate ending to a game that I otherwise really enjoyed.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

56 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Fates has been out about 5 years internationally and it's amazing seeing the strats people can pull off sometimes.

Take this one, where the best line is reminding us Bifrost sells for 5k.

Fates is still, by far, the best gameplay in the series and it has so much stuff in it people will keep finding new stuff. The base gameplay alone is amazing, add to it Conquest's amazing maps...

Conquest is still the best gameplay experience i had in my gaming life, not just FE. It's the only game i ever completely replayed. And 3 Times at that. Or was it 4? Or 5?

Also Zoran is kino.

10 hours ago, Maof06 said:

What's the problem with the modern ones? Waifus too?

Oh boi. I will try to be brief otherwise i will run out of the forum limit lmao. 

what @Armagon and to some extent @Sooks said is true. 

Trails in the Sky trilogy is my fav. Trilogy in the existence, and the Crossbell duology that followed were also super good. However after that we got 5 (yes five) Cold Steel games...

And they are everything i hate in a nutshell.

The classic gameplay on higher difficulties was unforgiving, brutal and some might even call unfair, but i loved it, i loved coming up with tactics to defeat the bosses, i thrived in and enjoyed the Challenge. Modern Games on highest difficulty can be compared to older games on low difficulties. No thought needed, everything ezpz.

The Story went to shit, but more importantly i hate the modern cast.

Forced school setting, a cast that's slave to the MC and follows his every whim, and a shitty harem/romance system where the cast are just player romance options and nothing more. It's like they had a damn check list. And following the same MC (who i fucking hate) for 5 games.... yeah...

To be fair though, the shitty romance system started in the Crossbell games, and i hated it there, but the story was amazing there at least. not to mention there were only 4 choices in Crossbell. Cold Stell gives you 12 choices iirc 😂. The MC was a bigger damn black hole than Corrin. Atleast Corrin was there to only ruin 1 game, not 5...

The only reason why AoT ending is worse really is because modern Trails games go out of their way to not assassinate their old characters. It's like they themselves know that their new cast is shit and when the old cast comes they are handled with more care. 

AoT's Hallu-chan got nothing on Y O K O S E, which effectively destroyed 9 fucking games of build up and ruins the backstories of some characters from the earlier games, too.

Tl;dr:

FLFpxTM.png
4th and 5th Cold Steel game not there because i 'watched' them because i couldn't play that shitty gameplay and was not willing to put 200+more hours in Story, gameplay and Characters i hate.

Also, modern Falcom music fucking sucks. This is not only Trails, but also their other modern games as well. From what i considered the best in the industry to some of the worst atm. Freaking bees and chickens in my boss themes...
It's so bad, while playing Cold Steel 3 i had to mod music out and add older music or i would've thrown my headphones away due to how bad it was.

Anyway, that's my tl;dr on how my former fav. series became something i want to forget, yet i am still holding into 1% hope that it becomes good again because i spend like atleast 1000 hours in the series (and probably another 500 discussing it), and used to tell everyone to play it, and i know many people who got into the series because of me, used to manage team let's plays, discuss strategies, etc. This series was literally my life for a while xD

Edited by Shrimperor

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

equally powerful enemy, and there were unavoidable staves all over the place that whisked my units away.

pair up your weak units into strong units. Also, the units in the rooms where you get staff'd don't attack on the first turn

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

pair up your weak units into strong units. Also, the units in the rooms where you get staff'd don't attack on the first turn

At this point it's old news, to be honest. As I said earlier, I probably could've figured out, but all the maps starting with Takumi's Castle were so unenjoyable that after barely making it to Iago I was just done.

Once again, maybe next time, with a better team, things will go differently.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't like his new outfit at all, staring the artwork It does fit his end of ToX career, but it doesn't work for me. The not-insignificant change in art direction (looks like the use of huge swathes of solid, bold colors was outlawed in ToX2 comparing all the heroes original and redesigned) overall combined with the total change of clothes, makes him look extraordinarily different, passable as a separate character if you tried.

-Not to say I wouldn't like him as a character if his personality remained the same. 

I agree actually. Nothing against it but as you said, it just doesn't work for me.

Hey, i was able to get Dstone+ to work, too! xD

Sure, i needed a busted Nyx!Ophelia!Kana and some Mag items, but having ~60 mag attack is no joke xD

Well, and i gave her Magictaker so that the -2 Magic doesn't matter lol

af9neAh.png

Rawr

Now i really feel like playing Conquest again haha

Edited by Shrimperor

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Sure, i needed a busted Nyx!Ophelia!Kana and some Mag items, but having ~60 mag attack is no joke xD

Well, and i gave her Magictaker so that the -2 Magic doesn't matter lol

af9neAh.png

Rawr

So similarly kino, considering the video.

Me playing Fates seeing the kids like:

giphy.gif

How Fates wants me to act:

source.gif

I see that there are lots of XC3 rumors flying around, but i honestly would rather see a XCX2, focusing on after the ending (I.E, Elma's story). 

Remove the avatar from the story completely and i think that it would have plenty of potential (it already did, but they wasted that on the avatar).

Obviously leaving the combat similar to X, as it's already perfect as is, but fix some bugs that it has.

30 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Now i really feel like playing Conquest again haha

I really do wanna give it another chance, too, but first I should give Awakening its fair shot before people start trashtalking it again and I lose all motivation.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I really do wanna give it another chance, but first I should give Awakening

Aha, Awakening, well you see—

its fair shot before people start trashtalking it again and I lose all motivation.

This post didn’t happen.

Good luck, I hope you can enjoy it more than I did.

Edited by Sooks

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

see that there are lots of XC3 rumors flying around, but i honestly would rather see a XCX2, focusing on after the ending (I.E, Elma's story). 

*Silence, save for the sound of flowing water* 😨

We are of one mind on this. If/when X2 gets announced, I'm changing my avi to an Orphean. I need re-so-lu-tion!

Remove the avatar from the story completely and i think that it would have plenty of potential (it already did, but they wasted that on the avatar).

I'm not sure if it is the avatar that is to blame for the story issue. Opting to shift away from an emphasis on a main story to emphasizing the world via sidequests is the culprit of that. Takahashi said working with HD graphics for the first time is what caused them to do that, didn't want to try to tell an epic story at the same time they figuring out how to model everything while updating Monolith's technical expertise so, a lesson for 3H?.

Compared to many an avatar (or chatty non-avatar person who feels like a lives-in-their-basement-gamer's wish-fulfillment) Cross was mostly well done. Barring one moment in Chapter 11, their effective disappearance from the plot after Chapter 5 was excellent. 

Cross, so it was said in a Japanese interview, was added and the Lone Hero ejected into Mira's mesosphere, because of the decision midway into the game's development to an online component. The online aspect, as irrelevant as it was for me and probably you and Armagon and yet others, was important enough to be a reason for the game's title.:

"Right, we also named the title overseas Xenoblade Chronicles X, and the X symbolized alien life of the unknown, and exploring an unknown planet. In the Japanese version, we refer to the X as "cross," as in a place that can serve as a crossroad where people can come across one another unexpectedly. The game has an online aspect, so there will be a lot of player interactions, as if they're meeting each other at an intersection or a crossroads. A lot of intelligent life from other planets will also appear, and interacting with them can be a lot of fun as well. For example, they won't come to your town unless you find a way to come across and interact with them."

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/xenoblade-chronicles-x/0/5

I never actually knew this before. I'm delighted to see that, what could easily be brushed aside and ignored as nothing special -all the Xeno species coming to NLA- was considered important enough to be integrated into the game's title. 

Obviously leaving the combat similar to X, as it's already perfect as is, but fix some bugs that it has.

I wouldn't call it perfect.

I know Monolith dumped the "healer" role because players found it boring (and I think most do), but they could afford to add a few more healing arts. If not for me or you, at least for the beginners. 

Skell combat needs to become more sophisticated as well, it's simplistic as is, foot combat ends up being more fun -once you learn how (some actually-existing tutorials would be a massive first impressions improvement too!).

And with ground combat, Overdrive requires two adjustments.

• The first is explaining it to the player and making it more readily understandable how to get the most out of it. On my first XCX run, I used it once or twice, and thought it a waste of 3000 TP, because it did nothing for me. Unlike a Chain Attack, wherein the benefits and usage are explained and recognizable as soon as you unlock them, Overdrive requires effort to make good. If you don't figure how to raise the counter and extend the time effectively, Overdrive fizzles.
  • The second modification is on the other end of Overdrive- the Infinite-Nonstop-Flyin'-To-Where-The-Earth-Was-And-Coming-Back-Before-Miran-Noon Overdrive. That Overdrive can be easily sustained indefinitely barring death once you know its inner workings and set up your gear, arts, and skills appropriately even right after it's been unlocked, is a blow against it. You don't require Overdrive, but if you can and know how, why not? 
    • You could raise the counterpoint "Well, why shouldn't I be discouraged from always using Overdrive? Are you saying XC1/2 should provide disincentive (other than revives) from Chain Attacks?". To which I respond, well, Chain Attacks can be awesome and powerful, but barring the Topple-Lock of XC1, can match the brokenness of unending Overdrive?
    • Overdrive should be great, but, it should be forced to end. 

The online could use more exclusive special enemies other than the Telethia Plume and Yggralith Zero to make it more fun. It could extend the game's lifespan too, multiplayer games are the biggest ones around nowadays.

Less grind for ultimate augments and Skells and the ilk, half the crafting costs of all of it, now that'd be perfect.

Lastly, some balance tweaks amongst the weapons and arts, and skills. Dual Guns need to be less deadly so the Dual Swords can shine. Javelins need more hits, damage, or just about anything that'd help them.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Aha, Awakening, well you see—

This post didn’t happen.

Hahahaha...

Good luck, I hope you can enjoy it more than I did.

I still have to beat Berwick Saga again. Then we'll get started.

43 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wait a minute, i'm one of those that praise Awakening! What gives here?

I do not deny that there are plenty of people who love it, but all I've ever heard has only made me think that the game is not the sort of FE that I would enjoy in the slightest. Still, at this point it's the only one I've left, aside from the original NES games whose remakes I've played. I suppose it's only fair that I give it a chance. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? Can it truly be worse than that snoozefest PoR?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I do not deny that there are plenty of people who love it, but all I've ever heard has only made me think that the game is not the sort of FE that I would enjoy in the slightest.

I feel like I’m the only here in particular who really complains about it...

Just now, Sooks said:

Oh, I'm not talking about straight up complaints at this point. Just... the things I've heard about it, in general. It doesn't strike me as a game that I'll particularly enjoy. I don't think its chances of escaping the "Ruben's bad FEs" zone in the ranking are high. But it's the only one left, so might as well see if I am pleasantly surprised by it.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I think it might be due to it's distance for most of us in playing it, I originally played it in 2013 and haven't touched it in years, much less played from the beginning.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

I think it might be due to it's distance for most of us in playing it, I originally played it in 2013 and haven't touched it in years, much less played from the beginning.

And in 2013 did you like it?

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

And in 2013 did you like it?

Yeah I did.

It was the third game in the series I played.

I can appreciate the fun I found in it with the cast and making an army of supersoldiers in the long run, while not defending it's balance.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

The saga continues

"Chapter 9 in this H5 ironman begins just like the rest: With Malledus."

I mean, there's only three characters who appear in cutscenes regularly, so that's not so surprising.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I actually want them to keep the avatar lol. Xenoblade X is a game where the side content is the main content, which is contrasted with the numbered Xenoblade games where the main content is.....the main content.

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"Right, we also named the title overseas Xenoblade Chronicles X, and the X symbolized alien life of the unknown, and exploring an unknown planet. In the Japanese version, we refer to the X as "cross," as in a place that can serve as a crossroad where people can come across one another unexpectedly. The game has an online aspect, so there will be a lot of player interactions, as if they're meeting each other at an intersection or a crossroads. A lot of intelligent life from other planets will also appear, and interacting with them can be a lot of fun as well. For example, they won't come to your town unless you find a way to come across and interact with them."

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/xenoblade-chronicles-x/0/5

I never actually knew this before. I'm delighted to see that, what could easily be brushed aside and ignored as nothing special -all the Xeno species coming to NLA- was considered important enough to be integrated into the game's title. 

I'm glad they did that too. I've described Xenoblade X's world as "Star Wars-y" where you have all these alien species co-existing in a way that makes the world truly feel alive.

53 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Still, at this point it's the only one I've left, aside from the original NES games whose remakes I've played. I suppose it's only fair that I give it a chance. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? Can it truly be worse than that snoozefest PoR?

You can do fun meme builds in Awakening so that's something at least.

16 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

The saga continues

Marth: "So, what are you looking to accomplish in this new job"

Generic soldier: "Well, i'm looking to earn money to help my sick mother"

Marth: "Excellent, you'll be assigned to the kamikaze squad and we'll send your mother compensation pay".

Just now, Armagon said:

Generic soldier: "Well, i'm looking to earn money to help my sick mother"

Marth: "Excellent, you'll be assigned to the kamikaze squad and we'll send your mother compensation pay".

Marth: Master tactician of not incurring recurring payments by forcing one-off payments as standard.