• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

20 minutes ago, Benice said:

Luckily for you, Easy mode is a thing!

Do you take me for a scrub?

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You should correct that, specifically with Majora if you have a 3DS lying around. Ocarina is good too, and so is Twilight if you have a wii or Wii U (or a GameCube for some reason). Breath of the Wild is excellent as well, but pretty different.

I have access to all Zeldas on my 3DS and Wii.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If "genocide" equates to "100% extinction", tweaking things to avert that whilst keeping the general feelĀ of genocide wouldn't have been impossible. What you'd need is to select an Adam & Eve, or several pairs of them, but no more than enough to fit on maybe a space battleship, depends somewhat on the scope of the world. The bigger the world, the more Lif and Lifthrasirs you can live behind and still preserve the very bittersweet ending.

The world hated the Subjects of Ymir, Eren and his entire island's race, and they wanted to wipe them out. Eren needed to genocide the world because that was the only way he could protect all his loved ones. The main cast simply decided "Genocide bad no matter what" and went to stop him. The problem is, Eren was simply too powerful, so there was no way the author could make a believable way for him to lose.So there was no other narrative option than for him to win and complete the genocide, and that would probably cause the death of all his friends who came to stop him.

6 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Do you take me for a scrub?

Well, you'd do better than me at Karaoke, which is all that matters.

30 minutes ago, Zan Partizanne said:

What is Katamari?

The Katamari series is a well beloved series of videogames starting on the PS2 with Katamari Damacy. The idea of the game is simple, you roll a ball like Katamari, and if it bigger than an object it rolls over, that object will be incorporated into the Katamri making it bigger (and possibly a little lopsided), which lets it roll up more stuff getting bigger, and able to roll up more stuff.It has a very charming aesthetic to it, excellent music, and a goofy story to it. The story being that the King of All Cosmos has destroyed all the stars in the sky in an act of (drunken?) catharsis, but seeing the consequences of this has sent his pint sized son, The Prince (you) to earth to roll up some katamari, that will be used to replace the stars in the sky. The King was the real star of the show, with a hubris that was amusing, and managed a comedic and sincere take on that old trope of the father that condescends to you if you only get a B+ on an assignment. The second one, We ā¤ļøĀ  Katamari, takes a very meta approach of having the King gaining massive popularity thanks to Katamari Damacy, and points out that there is still plenty of room in the sky, and so the young Prince gets asked by many of the King's fans to get the King to perform some fabulous or novel feat with the Katamari.

It has an interesting history with the director having made a surprise move from sculpture to videogames after college, and at this point in his career he was tired of the mind numbing process of popping out sequels that Namco had become, and pitched the Katamari idea as a low risk budget title using the modeling efforts of students at a school affiliated with Namco to reduce the cost of development. Once in control he ignored a lot of "advise" from the higher-ups about adding powerups or complicated objects, instead focusing his attention on making the underlying feel of the moment to moment gameplay as satisfying as possible, and in this I feel he really succeeded. Now he was reluctant for the game he made to escape the sequel farm hell getting a sequel, but was coaxed into working on the second one anyway, and he expanded the objectives out a bit, and I honestly think it is the best game of the series.

Ā 

18 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Ocarina of Time is fine on the 3DS. As for Majora's Mask... well, I suppose it's the kind of remaster you get if people if the original devs weren't involved. There is no rhyme or reason behind them.
Quite frankly a lot of these changes seem downright meant to parody the dull formula of the post Ocarina of Time era. Like changing every single boss to give them a big glowy eye weakpoint. Or changing the Ice arrows so they can no longer create platforms at will but instead only activate existing platforms. They turned from a fun tool that encourages creativityĀ to a glorified door key.
And needing magic for swimming is just a huge pile of random nonsense.

So yeah, most changes to the remake make no goddamn sense. Only reason to play it over the original is the improved framerate. Which is of course significant, not gonna lie.

I am strangely reminded of the Schaffrilas rant about the importance of empty bottles in the original version, and how the 3DS version missed this entirely...

Super Metroid review, copied from my Backloggd.

"After 10 years, i finally conquer a childhood demon of mine. I played Super Metroid as a kid and i got stuck early on because my dumb dumb kid brain didn't figure out that enemies dropped items so i just assumed that i got softlocked and never went back to it.....until now.

Super Metroid is a great game. I don't have any experience with other Metroid games so i don't know how this compares to the rest of the series but this is a damn good first impression. The gameplay is simple yet engaging thanks to the perfect controls (unless it's Space Jumping, then it can be a bit of a pain) and although backtracking is a staple of the Metroidvania genre, it never felt like it was tedious. The maps essentially get smaller the more powerups you get and i like this, because you'll be revisiting areas a few times. Keeping it from feeling tedious in a game without skip travel was a good decision on Nintendo's part.

However, perhaps because this was the 90s but Super Metroid has someĀ dumbĀ cryptic shit in it. Breaking the tube in Maridia with the Power Bomb (no indication that this would work) andĀ thatĀ wall in Lower Norfair that is not visible with the x-ray genuinely had me question how the fuck anybody was supposed to figure this out. I know part of the appeal of Metroidvanias is exploring and don't get me wrong, i love exploring in games (when it's done right) but i think there's a difference between exploring and just finding out by pure chance.

Now the biggest conflict i have with this game is the music. See, on one hand, the music fits this game perfectly. Exploring a hostile planet by yourself, not knowing what dangers await? Yeah, music fits. And yet, the music for this game is actually pretty unmemorable. Samus' theme, Vs Ridley, Brinstar Overgrown and Lower Norfair are like the only memorable songs in this game. The rest of the soundtrackĀ worksĀ but i don't know, i feel like i've already forgotten the songs.

Super Metroid is a fantastic game. I could do without the cryptic-ness and i do wish the soundtrack was more memorable but as i said earlier, this game was a damn good first impression to someone who had never played a Metroid game before."

14 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Nice

VBzse1gM_o.gif

I hope Samus doing a thumbs up at the end of the game is series tradition.

5 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I am strangely reminded of the Schaffrilas rant about the importance of empty bottles in the original version, and how the 3DS version missed this entirely...

Ok deadass what the fuck is this supposed to mean?

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Ok deadass what the fuck is this supposed to mean?

Well the remake adds an empty bottle, running empty bottles... somehow.

On an actually series note though, I would like to know as well.

ST. ELIMINE

HAVE MERCY ON ME

I'm probably gonna be here for a while.

At least the theme is an actual banger.

Ā 

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

hope Samus doing a thumbs up at the end of the game is series tradition.

Not in every game, no. Actually, I think it was only in a few of them.

As an aside, if you enjoyed Super, then I'd really recommend AM2R to you. It's the fan made remake of Metroid II (if you haven't heard of it already), and IMO, is the superior remake.

Ninty's official remake is alright, but it kills the spirit and atmosphere of the original while tacking on a certain combat gimmick. Not bad, but not nearly as good as AM2R, if you ask me. Just a suggestion, of course.

Wow.

What a fight. Hope every boss is as fun as that, 'cause that was phenomenal.

7 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This whole video is well worth a watch, but I have set the embedded version below to start with the bottle rant

I only watched the timestampped version (i'll check out the rest of the video later, i have seen some of Schaffrillas' content and i think it's neat) and.......ok?Ā I know he wasn't actually complaining about the bottle change but i don't really see the issue here.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

As an aside, if you enjoyed Super, then I'd really recommend AM2R to you. It's the fan made remake of Metroid II (if you haven't heard of it already), and IMO, is the superior remake.

Ninty's official remake is alright, but it kills the spirit and atmosphere of the original while tacking on a certain combat gimmick. Not bad, but not nearly as good as AM2R, if you ask me. Just a suggestion, of course.

Well since i've never actually played the original Metroid 2 (and probably not going to, Metroid on tiny ass GameBoy does not sound fun), i don'tĀ what it's spirit and atmosphere are, so if i ever play the 3DS remake, that aspect would not factor into my judgement.

The only thing i know about the 3DS remake is that it apparently seems to be setting up a future Metroid game that has yet to be released (possibly Metroid Prime 4 but who knows).

Ā 

Just now, Armagon said:

The only thing i know about the 3DS remake is that it apparently seems to be setting up a future Metroid game that has yet to be released (possibly Metroid Prime 4 but who knows).

No future game. The lead is to Metroid Fusion, a GBA game from 2001. Now that they can retroactively stablish the connection.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No future game. The lead is to Metroid Fusion, a GBA game from 2001. Now that they can retroactively stablish the connection.

Ahh ok. I remembered hearing that it was a setup to a future game but i'm wrong on that looks like.

36 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The Katamari series is a well beloved series of videogames starting on the PS2 with Katamari Damacy. The idea of the game is simple, you roll a ball like Katamari, and if it bigger than an object it rolls over, that object will be incorporated into the Katamri making it bigger (and possibly a little lopsided), which lets it roll up more stuff getting bigger, and able to roll up more stuff.It has a very charming aesthetic to it, excellent music, and a goofy story to it. The story being that the King of All Cosmos has destroyed all the stars in the sky in an act of (drunken?) catharsis, but seeing the consequences of this has sent his pint sized son, The Prince (you) to earth to roll up some katamari, that will be used to replace the stars in the sky. The King was the real star of the show, with a hubris that was amusing, and managed a comedic and sincere take on that old trope of the father that condescends to you if you only get a B+ on an assignment. The second one, We ā¤ļøĀ  Katamari, takes a very meta approach of having the King gaining massive popularity thanks to Katamari Damacy, and points out that there is still plenty of room in the sky, and so the young Prince gets asked by many of the King's fans to get the King to perform some fabulous or novel feat with the Katamari.

It has an interesting history with the director having made a surprise move from sculpture to videogames after college, and at this point in his career he was tired of the mind numbing process of popping out sequels that Namco had become, and pitched the Katamari idea as a low risk budget title using the modeling efforts of students at a school affiliated with Namco to reduce the cost of development. Once in control he ignored a lot of "advise" from the higher-ups about adding powerups or complicated objects, instead focusing his attention on making the underlying feel of the moment to moment gameplay as satisfying as possible, and in this I feel he really succeeded. Now he was reluctant for the game he made to escape the sequel farm hell getting a sequel, but was coaxed into working on the second one anyway, and he expanded the objectives out a bit, and I honestly think it is the best game of the series.

It sounds a bit like Monkey Ball series (only watched, never played it).

I saw it has a demo for Switch is, will check it out.

Thanks for explanation!

Ā 

Today will beĀ a busy day.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I only watched the timestampped version (i'll check out the rest of the video later, i have seen some of Schaffrillas' content and i think it's neat) and.......ok?Ā I know he wasn't actually complaining about the bottle change but i don't really see the issue here.

The ones that did the remakes did not understand the reverence that the world of Majora's Mask had for empty bottles. The Legendary Treasure of the Ikana Royal Family was an empty bottle they took with them to their grave, and in the remake they changed that to a piece of heart, which is the same as a lesser treasure you and Danpe already dug up on another day. Instead they moved it over to a prize Koume and Kotake can give you, making it the second bottle they give you, leading to a dull loss of diversity in rewards for both characters. This bottle change was what he saw as the strongest evidence that the ones that made the remakes didn't understand what made the original game so appealing, and what keeps him from calling it the definitive version...

Actually forgot about the way Ganon is lighted up rather then being in a permanent shadow where you can only see any real texture during the brief lightning strikes.
Which yeah, missing that means missing some of the atmosphere of the original game here, but at the same time it was probably unavoidable because it's on a handheld and you can't assume to always have ideal lighting conditions.

Edited by BrightBow

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ahh ok. I remembered hearing that it was a setup to a future game but i'm wrong on that looks like.

I mean, we could have a Fusion remake somewhere down the road.

Though as it is, Metroid as a series is kinda stuck at that point. Fusion is chronologically the last game of the franchise, and they haven't really gone to explore the ramifications of Fusion's ending. Any game made after takes place before Fusion, so...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The ones that did the remakes did not understand the reverence that the world of Majora's Mask had for empty bottles. The Legendary Treasure of the Ikana Royal Family was an empty bottle they took with them to their grave, and in the remake they changed that to a piece of heart, which is the same as a lesser treasure you and Danpe already dug up on another day. Instead they moved it over to a prize Koume and Kotake can give you, making it the second bottle they give you, leading to a dull loss of diversity in rewards for both characters. This bottle change was what he saw as the strongest evidence that the ones that made the remakes didn't understand what made the original game so appealing, and what keeps him from calling it the definitive version...

I know what he said, i'm just saying it wasn't a big deal.

I mean, in the first place, who even thinks about the bottles in Majora's Mask, let alone any Zelda game? Yeah, it's funny how some characters in Majora's Mask will treat it like it's gold but i just saw it as a goofy Zelda moment and it wasn't meant to be deeper.

Anyway, I am most certainly not saying the remake ruined the original game. Those issues areĀ too minor for that, thoughtless and baffling as they may be.
I'm just saying it's not worth to jump through any extra hoops to play the 3DS version specifically. Go for whatever version is more accessible. 3DS hardware can probably still be easily gotten, but of course N64 emulation works a lot better then 3DS emulation. So make the decision based on the options available to you.

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I know what he said, i'm just saying it wasn't a big deal.

I mean, in the first place, who even thinks about the bottles in Majora's Mask, let alone any Zelda game? Yeah, it's funny how some characters in Majora's Mask will treat it like it's gold but i just saw it as a goofy Zelda moment and it wasn't meant to be deeper.

I mean the video is called "Why Majora's Mask is My Favorite Work of Art Ever Made", he clearly was looking at the deeper meaning of the work, and a part of the appeal of Majora's Mask is that it rewards you for looking deeper into it... plus

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Anyway, I am most certainly not saying the remake ruined the original game. Those issues areĀ  too minor for that, thoughtless and baffling as they may be.
I'm just saying it's not worth to jump through any extra hoops to play the 3DS version specifically. Go for whatever version is more accessible. 3DS hardware can probably still be easily gotten, but of course N64 emulation works a lot better then 3DS emulation. So use what works best for you.

the ultimate conclusion is basically this. The 3DS version isn't necessarily the best version of it, with both having their own advantages.

One bad thing about playing with joycons: Because of the way button mapping works, Karaoke is basically unplayable...

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

One bad thing about playing with joycons: Because of the way button mapping works, Karaoke is basically unplayable...

That is unfortunate, but at least the rest of it is playing better (hopefully). I will probably end up grabbing Yakuza 0 on the sale, but it might be a bit before I get around to playing it...