Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

So Vestaria Saga thoughts hmmm

Well, it will be a rumbled mess, but here we go

I went in expecting a Kaga game, and a Kaga game is what i got. For better or worse. If you played post Mystery Kaga games you will know what i am talking about haha.

I want to start by saying the game's difficulty is really really overrated. I heard many times how this is some of the hardest FE out there, and i went in maybe expecting Conquest Lunatic, or maybe Berwick Saga, but it's nothing even close to that. While i would put it in the ''harder half'' of the series, it's definetly on the lower end of it. Below Radiant Dawn or so.

Thing is, Map difficulty is done not by strong enemies or enemy composition, but by Map events and triggers. Is an approach, that sometimes works when mixed well with enemy composition and unique elements (like ch17 and 19, who are my fav. in the game), while sometimes falls flat on it's face and a big chunk of the map becomes 💤, like was the case in pacifist simulator (ch18) or lever simulator (finale). And the map triggers weren't really that hard to figure out, they were alot of times a chore more than anything.

Also, the game was very incosistent with how it does reinforcements, and i am not talking about chapters where the game tells you there are ambush spawns. On the same map, or even in the same turn, you can get both kind of reinforcements. This first happens in that cave map early on where after killing a regular reinforcement enemy an 38 atk ambush spawned happened and forced me to reset. From the same tile. That inconsistency was really annoying.

In  alot of way, this game feels like the missing link between Thracia and Berwick, rather then someting that came out after Berwick. And no, i wasn't expecting something as innovative as Berwick, especially considering the engine, but i am talking more about the design and balance philosophy. Definetly feels more closer to Thracia than Berwick.

Maps i was a very big fan of: ch5, ch14, ch15, ch17 (all time fav. candidate), ch19

Maps i really didn't like: all of Cyltan arc maps, desert, ch18, ch20

Kinda funny how early on i was enjoying Zade's maps more, while later on i liked Cyltan's more haha.

Now let's talk about Story and characters.

Story is what you'd expect from a Kaga game. Lordling and Princess are on the run and want to take back their country with Dark Cult ™️ behind it all. However, the Dark Cult doesn't want to revive plot destroyer of doom like it happens in most FE games, Kaga and non-Kaga, and other countries and politics are more involved as well . I wanna see how this will evolve in later enteries. I just hope it doesn't end up being revive plot destroyer comically evil of doom...

Comically evil villains Kaga style are there, you know them, i know them, everyone does. Also Kaga's fetish of slave girls is very apparent. Heck, we even got a slave boy this time! Equalitiy and all that stuff. 

Also cringy romance.

For the characters, Theo and Hoelun are my favs. they were just savage tbh. Cyltan i grew to like, but i think his development was a bit rushed. Zade at first was a non-character, but later on the whole Duty vs. want thing was cool, and how above all, he wanted his personal freedom back.

Biggest dissapointment however has to be Athol. Rant incoming.

At first, i thought we would get another Elincia (as i love her), however once we got closer to endgame i knew that wouldn't be the case. At first i actually quite liked her and liked how she wanted to help at all...

Then the stupidity at the end of ch14 happened. And it's stupidity from both character and story writing somehow. Than after Zade saves her and hands it to her right in her face, i thought she would actually grow...

yeah, she grew to become more of a burden, that has to be protected like a precious doll at all times. While Hoelun was freeing prisoners and fighting cultists Arrows swinging, Athol was taking a stroll through the country in Auto-scroll simulator or just sat on the bench while everyone was fighting for her Kingdom. Like execuse me, what?

And at the end of it all, instead of a bittersweet goodbye to her friends and fondly remembering the times she spent with her allies and Zade, she cries in her room while everyone is saying their farewells. Instead of growing into a strong Princess like her arc was leading to, she just becomes a mess. While yeah her duties are hard, it feels like her arc at the end didn't amount to anything. She's still the weak emotional princess. And if i am guessing right, she will still be in the future, considering what the stoy alludes to.

So yeah, she is probably my least fav. of the cast. Maybe, not sure.

Well, that was alot of negativity in the last part, so to end it with a positive note, i did like quite a bit of what the game tried to do, and i am interested in the still open plot points and Zade's future, enough to play HSoS atleast, especially with how Spara said the game can be crazy alot of times, and consider i loved some of the craziness in VS1, i hope there's more of what i liked 😉

Rating:

SvovSSm.png

@Saint Rubenio

Defeat Armstrong go go! I am waiting for you!

@Spara ...There's no global enemy range option in HSoS? Because if that's the case, that would make any maps with those vanish assassins super annoying

• Replies 175.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I heard many times how this is some of the hardest FE out there

...Where did you hear that? Armagon is Armagon, but who else said anything like this?

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Comically evil villains Kaga style are there, you know them, i know them, everyone does.

Volcens is nuanced and I'll die on this hill if I must

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Rating:

SvovSSm.png

Another game that is undeservedly put below the piece of garbage that is Three Houses. Hmph...

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Defeat Armstrong go go! I am waiting for you!

I made it to the "Anthem of the USA" phase, but the furthest I got was 150% HP. I'll give it another shot after lunch.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

...There's no global enemy range option in HSoS?

There wasn't one in original Vestaria either. It was added by the translators. Never forget, Kaga is an old man. He's been working on the same outdated-ass SRPG Studio version forever, he's not about to change.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

but who else said anything like this?

I heard it quite a bit on the subreddit haha

well, compared to the other Kaga ones he quite is, tbf xD

Hmph...

I am actually thinking of correcting Berwick a few points up. Might do it.

I made it to the "Anthem of the USA" phase, but the furthest I got was 150% HP. I'll give it another shot after lunch

For me the hardest part of the fight was always when he threw cars at you that insta game over's you if you don't do it right.

There wasn't one in original Vestaria either.

OOF. The assassins must've been a big pain in the ass

Edited by Shrimperor

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Also Kaga's fetish of slave girls is very apparent. Heck, we even got a slave boy this time!

This made me laugh, ngl, haha! I suppose you can't blame him in that twisted sorta way. XD

Edited by lightcosmo

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I heard it quite a bit on the subreddit haha

Huh... Well, that's news to me. Vestaria is, as you've said before, kinda like Thracia.

well, compared to the other Kaga ones he quite is, tbf xD

These days I honestly couldn't tell you if Volcens or TRS's dark rider (you know who I'm talking about) is my favorite Kaga villain. They're vastly different, but they're both so good in their own ways...

I am actually thinking of correct Berwick a few points up. Might do it.

YES

Dew it.

Replay the game, love it even more, and then dew it.

I'll wait.

...Pfft, okay, no, but really. To be honest, I have troubles with my own tier list too. Aside from Berwick being above all, the others are kinda like... "yeah this sits here for now but I'm not entirely sure", and then time passes and I'm never sure. Like, TRS in my last run was so easy that I thought of taking it down a peg, but then, I loved it so much in my previous three runs, and I respect a lot of the things it does, so... Ahh, who knows.

For me the hardest part of the fight was always when he threw cars at you that insta game over's you if you don't do it right.

Those are horrible. If you just blindly swing, he kills you. If you take your time, you run out of Zandatsu and he kills you. I hate it.

OOF. The assassins must've been a big pain in the ass

I imagine the intent was that you had to watch closely to see their blurry movement frames.

...Thanks, Kaga.

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

This mad me laugh, ngl, haha! I suppose you can't blame him in that twisted sorta way. XD

You cannot fault Kaga for being biased. Boys, girls, men and women, everyone is miserable.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You cannot fault Kaga for being biased. Boys, girls, men and women, everyone is miserable.

I suppose that makes some sense, when you put it that way.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Replay the game, love it even more, and then dew it.

I don't even need to replay the game for that haha (I usually don't like replaying games). I just've been thinking lately on how core Berwick combat system is really really good, despite my problems with it i talked about before. I think i did say back then i would've put it high with Conquest gameplay wise in my opinion if it wasn't for quite a few RNG frustrations xD

I mean, i still rate it pretty highly and in the top 5 of ''FE'', but the more i play the more i want to put it a big higher haha. Vestaria kinda confirmed that lel. Like after i finished Berwick i kinda put it below Thracia at first, now it's definetly above it and PoR xD

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Shrimpy i don't understand how you can't replay games you really enjoy

I really like to try new stuff and don't like repeating stuff.

I do replay Boss fights and and dungeons/sections i enjoy maybe, but never whole games.

Conquest is the one big exception here.

Edited by Shrimperor

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't even need to replay the game for that haha (I usually don't like replaying games). I just've been thinking lately on how core Berwick combat system is really really good, despite my problems with it i talked about before. I think i did say back then i would've put it high with Conquest gameplay wise in my opinion if it wasn't for quite a few RNG frustrations xD

Berwick combat's amazing, yeah. I love it, and so should everyone but Armagon, because Armagon wouldn't know quality if it sat on his face.

I mean, i still rate it pretty highly and in the top 5 of ''FE'', but the more i play the more i want to put it a big higher haha. Vestaria kinda confirmed that lel. Like after i finished Berwick i kinda put it below Thracia at first, now it's definetly above it and PoR xD

Watch, if you're talking like this already, you'll end up replaying it.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Shrimpy i don't understand how you can't replay games you really enjoy, but hey, whatever works for you i guess. XD

Well, to each their own, but yeah, I like replaying games too. I think I've played every FE but the bottom five to completion at least three times each. Except Conquest, but to be fair, I only first played Conquest really recently. There'll be time to get there - heck, I'm already feeling like replaying it!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Breaking the tube in Maridia with the Power Bomb (no indication that this would work)

The now so-called "Noobtube", it's infamous.

For the other 2D games...

• Avoid the NES original Metroid and Metroid II: Return of Samus. Of these, MRoS has aged relatively better, but still not very good. I've played both, the first to varying states of incompletion, the latter to completion. I'd say the first Metroid is worse than playing FE1. Why? Because at least with FE1, Marth won't get lost trying to find Ridley and then try to find their way back. The first two Metroids don't have a map 😨, and the original uses a password system instead of save points. It bad. 
  • Instead, go for Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid: Samus Returns. The GBA and 3DS remakes of the first Metroid and RoS. Zero Mission is fairly good. Samus Returns, although I never got to finishing it, is pretty darned good too. If a bit difficult b/c reflexes in boss fights. I never play fangames, so I haven't a clue how that Metroid 2 fan remake is.
  • Metroid Fusion is the other 2D Metroid offering, and it's good. Some complain it's too linear for a Metroid, and thus prefer the subsequent Zero Mission. Although Fusion does have better bosses in its favor vs. ZM. I think the games are about equal actually. They and Samus Returns compare favorably enough to Super Metroid.
  • The Metroid Prime subseries is a whole 'nother beast. It is first-person perspective, but some people prefer to call it a first-person adventure instead of shooter, because they aren't like your standard FPS. To like 2D Metroid and not gel with 3D Metroid is totally fine.
    • Metroid Prime 1 is basically taking the spirit of Super Metroid and adapting it to 3D. I played up beating to Flaahgra in this, which is the end of the "earlygame", so to speak. Thats as far as my MP experience goes.
    • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is a little more independent, but more of the same with a light-dark gimmick. More and better bosses than the first MP, and the narrative is more present, not merely background logbook scans.
    • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is notably more linear and normal FPS-like in the overall experience.
    • Metroid Prime Hunters is the DS spinoff title with touch controls. Not bad, but being on the DS, there is a lot less exploration to be done because of its limited 3D capabilities. Does not actually have any Metroids in it.
    • Metroid Prime Pinball, is MP1's adventure turned into a pinball game.
  • Other M... I don't think it is totally terrible from a gameplay perspective, but they brought back the "Father of Metroid" -Sakamoto I think his name was- and his changes to the portrayal of Samus's character ...oh boy. Fanbase not happy! Evidence that "Fathers" of franchises don't always know best, as if in your perspective Kaga didn't already teach you that.
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force- Why is this a Metroid game and it doesn't feature playable Samus? It might be an okay game on it's own, but it's multiplayer-oriented for the best experience and gets hammered by fans as well due to Other M before it being controversial.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ahh ok. I remembered hearing that it was a setup to a future game but i'm wrong on that looks like.

The Metroid timeline:

• Metroid I/Zero Mission
  • Metroid II Return of Samus/Samus Returns
  • Metroid Prime
    • MP1
    • MP2: Echoes
    • MP3: Corruption (which completes the nicknamed "Phazon Trilogy", due to the super-radioactive blue stuff found in all three games).
    • MP Hunters & Federation Force and probably MP4 all happen somewhere in this timeframe too.
  • Super Metroid
  • Other M
  • Metroid Fusion
Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

hate that I know who this is

Of all the references to get

Goddamnit, I'm a filthy weeb after all...

291715015000588292.png?v=1

I know who she is too, but shush you. 

Morning all.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

SMTDDS: I've heard it is quite the gritty title but not much more about it. I don't mind so much as I don't have much of a reference on SMT generally.

From a gameplay perspective, DDS is friendlier than typical SMT. Demon fusion was ditched in favor of five named characters with fixed stats, weaknesses, and the Mantra system for learning new skills. Difficulty isn't too high, not as accessible as SMTIV or IV Apocalypse with their easy modes, but more so than Nocturne and probably Strange Journey.

8 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ninty's official remake is alright, but it kills the spirit and atmosphere of the original while tacking on a certain combat gimmick. Not bad, but not nearly as good as AM2R, if you ask me. Just a suggestion, of course.

And that atmosphere is what exactly? Pure desolation? Because one wonders if that has less to do with intent, and more with being a Game Boy no Color game with a minimalistic soundtrack. It isn't like Samus Returns is a lighthearted singalong, Samus is still alone, on an uninhabited planet, sent to exterminate every single Metroid there is. They added more color and some vibrancy to the scenery, no big deal IMO.

Okay, Armstrong attempt nÂş 2. I hope this time it goes better.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

yup, corrected Berwick a few points up xD

Gameplay B -> A

Music A -> S

Total 80 -> 85

Eyyyy!

59 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

291715015000588292.png?v=1

Don't you laugh at me...!

59 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I know who she is too, but shush you.

Yeah but you aren't the one who's supposed to be an elitist!

7 hours ago, Benice said:

One bad thing about playing with joycons: Because of the way button mapping works, Karaoke is basically unplayable...

F

Can’t you remap the controller yourself?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, is this supposed to be a joke? All I know is you said Garson was a worse version of them and being a better version of Garon isn’t a lot.

Speaking of atmospheres, Fusion's really got to me, heh.

Then again, I first tried it out as a kid, barely 10 at the time, so its survival-horror esque atmosphere was certainly daunting back then, heh.

20 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait, is this supposed to be a joke?

No, it isn't. I do really like Volcens as a villain.

All I know is you said Garson was a worse version of them and being a better version of Garon isn’t a lot.

That's because the only relation between Volcens and Garon is that they're both kings. That's... really it, other than that they're pretty much unrelated. I just call him Gray Volcens to goof around.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

Ah nightmares, that sounds like fun /s

And do you mean all of them?

At least the Team Silent ones (2, 3 and 4).

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

The game is simply slow, as far as gameplay goes. Battles take long, attack animations take long, battles are very repetitive and can only be played one way due to their stock and break system. 

Edit: i forgot this one, but if you aren't using the elemental imbuing ether spells, you are going to be there for quite a while trying to win generic battles. (this is an issue right at the beginning even).

So they made the combat system tedious. Unfortunate.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Pretty sure I was asleep when you did ask, either that or I missed it.

Any other recommendations now that I'm thinking about it?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Blame Youtube recommendations. They have tainted me.

Falling down pitfalls should be easily avoided if you ask meeeeeeee-

*thud

1*rrIY0pi7vohIbeGlCNor0g.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From a gameplay perspective, DDS is friendlier than typical SMT. Demon fusion was ditched in favor of five named characters with fixed stats, weaknesses, and the Mantra system for learning new skills. Difficulty isn't too high, not as accessible as SMTIV or IV Apocalypse with their easy modes, but more so than Nocturne and probably Strange Journey.

So they can't become little snowmen? 0/10 utter trash /s

So it's not massively rough either? I don't know why I was thinking otherwise.

Just now, Maof06 said:

At least the Team Silent ones (2, 3 and 4).

Ah.

So you'll go to bat for 4? I'm curious about that one in particular as there's few who'll actively malign 1, 2 and to a lesser extent 3.

Just now, Dayni said:

So you'll go to bat for 4? I'm curious about that one in particular as there's few who'll actively malign 1, 2 and to a lesser extent 3.

I mean, 4 was the last game created by them. It's a nice send-off.