Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So Zech (as in, the one with Athol) is an impostor, and the real Zech is that armor dude i take it.

That's the most obvious takeaway from everything in Vestaria 1, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I will do ch3 later tonight

Yeah, I will too.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Shrimpy:

Spoiler
1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

So Zech (as in, the one with Athol) is an impostor, and the real Zech is that armor dude i take it.

One small wrinkle is that Ch2 is designed in such a way that Armor Bro will more likely than not get killed by Adonsphair (sometimes the translation calls it Adros). Make of this what you will.

Ruben:

Spoiler
32 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Gonna assume this is Drake

Drake is the best boy. I love him. He and Karajan are probably my favorite units in the game, along with Bertholia (whom you'll meet later). 

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Can’t you remap the controller yourself?

Well yes but actually no.

I can absolutely change what button does what, (I made strong attacks Right Trigger, for example) but because the way the Joycons work, Steam interprets them as an Xbox controller, meaning that button positions are flipped- B is where A is, X is where Y is. Which works fine for most things, just not reaction-based imputs like Karaoke or QTEs.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Well yes but actually no.

I can absolutely change what button does what, (I made strong attacks Right Trigger, for example) but because the way the Joycons work, Steam interprets them as an Xbox controller, meaning that button positions are flipped- B is where A is, X is where Y is. Which works fine for most things, just not reaction-based imputs like Karaoke or QTEs.

That's not just the joycons, it's most games (there are some that have button displays for every controller, though) 

So it's not just you, that's an issue that's been complained about alot actually. 

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

So they can't become little snowmen? 0/10 utter trash /s

Oh, Jack Frost still appears, he can randomly show up and ask you 100 trivia questions in the second game. King Frost is in the first as a super boss too. But no Demoneeho, Frost Ace, Raiho, Lucifroz, or even Black Frost I think. Why didn't SMTIV give us a Bushi-ho? Pyro Jack is still around as a generic enemy tho'. 

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

So it's not massively rough either? I don't know why I was thinking otherwise.

Not saying the duology are the easiest games around, but silent MC death doesn't equal a game over this time. And they were nice enough to nerf Hama/Expel into HP % reduction, leaving Mudo/Death as the sole form of insta-kill, easily lockable once you know an enemy can use them via the Void Expel/Death spells.

The presence of a fixed and voiced cast makes Digital Devil Saga narratively somewhat closer to more typical JRPGs. And the tone/setting is not wholly unlike a Young Adult Dystopian Novel, which exploded in popular in the past decade or two (although DDS came out in 2004, well before the trend jumped from books to movies).

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I do know the first two Prime games are on GameCube as well but Prime 3 is Wii, right?

Correct, MP3: Corruption is Wii.

I might still have my old Nintendo Power game guide for the first game, in case you need help.

As a word of advice, use the Scan Visor on everything. On enemies, it may help you figure out how to best deal with them. Chozo Lore, Pirate Logs, and scanning the environment might help you figure out what to do next, and these things tell the "story" of MP1 especially. It's a not-unusual approach, but not one you usually see in major games, more the indie adventure/walking simulator stuff.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's the most obvious takeaway from everything in Vestaria 1, yeah

Spoiler

So Athol will probably need saving again

''I don't want to be a burden''

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:
  Hide contents

So Athol will probably need saving again

''I don't want to be a burden''

Cut her some slack, she's the main character's love interest in a Kaga game. That's not a great position to be in... unless you're called Caeda.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Screenshot_3057.png?width=772&height=432

"Friendly".

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I might still have my old Nintendo Power game guide for the first game, in case you need help.

I'll keep it in mind when i eventually get to it, thanks.

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Cut her some slack, she's the main character's love interest in a Kaga game. That's not a great position to be in... unless you're called Caeda.

I was gonna say Celica but then i remembered even she needs saving in the end.

Damn, Kaga's one female Lord and he still has to go the damsel in distress route with her. Although this applies moreso to Echoes than Gaiden, because Gaiden's story does not exist.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I was gonna say Celica but then i remembered even she needs saving in the end.

Damn, Kaga's one female Lord and he still has to go the damsel in distress route with her.

If you count her as a main character (which I would, she gets as much screentime as Reese and Ward), Tianna never needs saving.

Of course, there's someone in Berwick that you can count, but she's not nearly as much of a presence as Tianna. Or as much of a great character. Or... anything, really.

Although this applies moreso to Echoes than Gaiden, because Gaiden's story does not exist.

Even without a story, OG Gaiden had... pretty much every woman in the game needing to be saved. Isn't it like, all of them except for Palla and Catria? Hot damn, Kaga. Could you be any more blatant?

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

This is why Shiida is one of the best FE characters.

Caeda be like "damisel in distress? Fuck that, I'm gonna seduce half the population of the continent into my boyfriend's army."

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Caeda be like "damisel in distress? Fuck that, I'm gonna seduce half the population of the continent into my boyfriend's army."

And she can kick your arse.

How much more perfect could a woman be?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Even without a story, OG Gaiden had... pretty much every woman in the game needing to be saved. Isn't it like, all of them except for Palla and Catria? Hot damn, Kaga. Could you be any more blatant?

Only since Celica's entire party needed rescue. Otherwise Mae did not.

On the flip side, you need to rescue Valbar, Leon, and Kamui from Barth, free Jesse from captivity, and Zeke if he counts since he's "blackmailed through hostage". So it's not just the women.

Also, this happened:

46qCU7a.png

Serbia and Montenegro united into Yugoslavia. Somehow.

Though a bit cheeky, Yugoslavia cores appeared within their historical boundaries. Not that they have any chance to get them at the moment, even allied to Germany.

cHeQWSo.png

The Heavenly Kingdom has Westernized and... it lost almost all its territory as the Warlord Era activates. Huh.

Anyway, Pingnan Guo is set to be the one to unite China, so... welp.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah and this is one of Echoes' main criticisms. Perhaps it was fine in the 90s but people don't take too kindly to nearly the entire female cast needing to be rescued.

Other point of criticism was how some of the "strong women" in the game just retire in the ending while their husbands (if they have any) continue to do the heavy lifting.

I love Echoes but these are valid criticisms. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And then in Mystery, when Altea gets invaded, instead of Caeda being captured or some shit, she actually does this neat little thing called escape.

Now if only Elice followed that advice.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

On the flip side, you need to rescue Valbar, Leon, and Kamui from Barth, free Jesse from captivity, and Zeke if he counts since he's "blackmailed through hostage". So it's not just the women

True although in Valbar, Leon and Kamui's case, it was less that they needed saving and more of you simply provided the reinforcements.

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Only since Celica's entire party needed rescue. Otherwise Mae did not.

Ahh, yes. Mae and Genny. Also, I'd forgotten about Sonya. So yeah, it's not as bad as I first thought it was, but it's still rather suspect. It's still over half of them.

On the flip side, you need to rescue Valbar, Leon, and Kamui from Barth, free Jesse from captivity, and Zeke if he counts since he's "blackmailed through hostage". So it's not just the women.

Well, this is true... but on the other hand, Valbar, Leon and Kamui went to Barth's hideout of their own accord and are all fighting for their lives (and they aren't that unlikely to win, either), they just need a hand; and Zeke is being blackmailed to fight instead of being purely kept prisoner in a cell. The women (and Jesse lol) are all helplessly sitting in cells waiting for their dashing knights in white armor to come and save them.

Just saying, it feels... different. I'm not saying it makes Kaga or anyone who enjoys this story a terrible person or anything, but it's a bit grating how much it happens in Gaiden. It's strange, too, because FE1 wasn't nearly as blatant about it. Aside from like, Maria, Elice, Lena (all of whom are clerics who can't fight) and the Archanean prison squad (most of which are men), there aren't really any damisels in distress that need to be saved. Heck, Caeda exists. How do you go from Caeda to... every other MC love interest in Kaga's games?

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And then in Mystery, when Altea gets invaded, instead of Caeda being captured or some shit, she actually does this neat little thing called escape.

Now if only Elice followed that advice.

To be fair, Caeda claims that Elice let herself be captured to buy her time to escape, much like in the first war she did the same to ensure Marth could flee. Elice is too selfless for her own good.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There's also Genny, Mae and Sonya (I don't think she herself was taken hostage in her backstory), unless you count being captured at the end of Act 4 which also affects Palla and Catria.

Faye I guess in SoV, but she still gets cornered by Slayde in the prologue.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

46qCU7a.png

Serbia and Montenegro united into Yugoslavia. Somehow.

Surprise, you're all in one nation now!- the new ruler of Yugoslavia

Just now, Armagon said:

True although in Valbar, Leon and Kamui's case, it was less that they needed saving and more of you simply provided the reinforcements.

Considering how these characters do in Hard, they probably need it.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Other point of criticism was how some of the "strong women" in the game just retire in the ending while their husbands (if they have any) continue to do the heavy lifting.

I love Echoes but these are valid criticisms. 

#JusticeforMathilda

Honestly, Celica's case is more a "tripped right before the finish line". She spends ~95% of the game not a DiD, I don't really consider it a big blemish against her. Or just being a DiD at all, but I know I'm likely alone here of not bothering me at all...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Honestly, Celica's case is more a "tripped right before the finish line". She spends ~95% of the game not a DiD, I don't really consider it a big blemish against her. Or just being a DiD at all, but I know I'm likely alone here of not bothering me at all...

In this aspect the remake actually worsened Celica lol. Doesn't she get saved like, three times from random predicaments by Conrad because they needed to give him things to do?

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How do you go from Caeda to... every other MC love interest in Kaga's games?

It's weird how he just keeps doing it.

It's not farfetched to say that Kaga probably still thinks it's the 90s.

Honestly, Celica's case is more a "tripped right before the finish line". She spends ~95% of the game not a DiD, I don't really consider it a big blemish against her.

Yeah that's fair and i don't really have any negative things to say about Celica.

I just brought it up because "every MC's love interest in Kaga games needs saving".

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In this aspect the remake actually worsened Celica lol. Doesn't she get saved like, three times from random predicaments by Conrad because they needed to give him things to do?

I think it only really counts when Conrad saves her from the landslide.

The first time in front of the castle, it was more of backup since Celica and Saber were by themselves.

The third time......i don't remember what the third time was.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I'd also vouch for Eirika not being as much of that trope either. She holds her own through a good portion of the game.

True but Eirika isn't a Kaga lord.