Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I think an armor knight called Joe sounds hilarious, personally.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, stupid non-American countries and their egocentrism. They should all learn to be as humble as America, God bless it.

But it’s communism to want everything to be the same! Obviously the names need to be different, how else would we know that American Fire Emblem is the true Fire Emblem?

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I thought "mist" in German was "D'oh I missed."

Ha! Nice!

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I would say they changed it to sound more exotic, but then they changed Kieran to fucking Kevin, so... Who even knows.

Just translators being weird, I guess!

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Pfft, Astrid and Makalov. Forget Fates and Awakening, that's a garbage romance.

You can say that again.

On that note, I always love when things have German words in them.
Particularly when it's just perfectly mundane stuff for something very fancy.

Take FE4, for instance: "Rotenritter" just means "red knight(s)", and it's not even grammatically correct.
It should be "Rotritter" instead, if it's one word, "Rote Ritter" if it's two, or "Die roten Ritter" when it refers to a specific group of red knights, where 'rot' is the adjective. The singular form would be "Roter Ritter", or "Der rote Ritter", when 'rot' is used as an adjective.
Same for all the other "colored knights", actually.

But the worst offender is easily "Lanzenritter". That just means "lance knight(s)". Every godsdamned mounted knight in Jugdral uses a lance!. So having "Lance Knights" be the name some kind of elite force is hilariously silly.

Also, the German word for 'knight', 'Ritter' comes from Middle High German 'riter', which is the same thing as a 'rider'.
Just some trivia for you!

Edited by DragonFlames

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Oh yeah

Honestly the amount of times my brother and i have to laugh/sigh/facepalm at broken german in japanese works is way too high. To non germans it might sound cool, but...

XD

That reminds me when jp. works use words with St (like Stein) and then english speaking peeps pronounce it...

Drives me up the wall xD

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Take FE4, for instance: "Rotenritter" just means "red knight(s)", and it's not even grammatically correct.
It should be "Rotritter" instead, if it's one word, "Rote Ritter" if it's two, or "Die roten Ritter" when it refers to a specific group of red knights. The singular form would be "Roter Ritter".

But the worst offender is easily "Lanzenritter". That just means "lance knight(s)". Every godsdamned mounted knight in Jugdral uses a lance!. So having "Lance Knights" be the name some kind of elite force is hilariously silly.

Also, the German word for 'knight', 'Ritter' comes from Middle High German 'riter', which is the same thing as a 'rider'.

Who can forget the Dreadlords One, Two, Three, Four... etc.

The army divisions are also amusing. Since you have Berhara's White Knights, Jungby's Yellow Knights, Velthomer's Red Knights, Dozel's Gray Knights, Chalphy's Green Knights... Edda is the only place in Grannvale without them.

Not all. Bow Knights use only bows, Great Knights only Axes, Forrest Knights only Swords. So yes, they have to specify this is a division of the Lance-only Duke Knights.

It should be "Rotritter" instead, if it's one word, "Rote Ritter" if it's two, or "Die roten Ritter" when it refers to a specific group of red knights. The singular form would be "Roter Ritter".
Same for all the other "colored knights", actually.

And count your lucky stars. Your language is used to make squads of knights and fancy weapons sound more dignified. My language is used to name brigands 9 times out of 10.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I see. Interesting!

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And count your lucky stars. Your language is used to make squads of knights and fancy weapons sound more dignified. My language is used to name brigands 9 times out of 10.

Now I got reminded Sylvain's middle name is José.

Also, ridiculous name change: Manuela to Miguela.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Sooks said:

At least Manuela actually means something.

So does Miguela. The point is they changed a Hispanic name for another.

I've always felt like German has been Japanese media's go-to language when it comes to foreign names. I'd say English too but English is basically a second language over there.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

To non germans it might sound cool, but...

Yeah I'm told this

is whatever the German equivalent of Engrish is.

It sounds cool because I don't understand it but idk about you guys.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Now I got reminded Sylvain's middle name is José.

That explains his horniness.

I mean, at least from the people I know, Hispanic men tend to be hornier than Americans.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So does Miguela. The point is they changed a Hispanic name for another.

Presumably something better though.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, at least from the people I know, Hispanic men tend to be hornier than Americans.

Meanwhile me: hello, I'm Spanish from Spain. My superpower is that I am invisible to the American eye.

18 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

That reminds me when jp. works use words with St (like Stein) and then english speaking peeps pronounce it...

Drives me up the wall xD

Same. XD

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Who can forget the Dreadlords One, Two, Three, Four... etc.

Well, they're dead, so they don't have the brains to come up with something more creative, I suppose. xD

The army divisions are also amusing. Since you have Berhara's White Knights, Jungby's Yellow Knights, Velthomer's Red Knights, Dozel's Gray Knights, Chalphy's Green Knights... Edda is the only place in Grannvale without them.

I think the weirdest part to me is how they didn't just use Japanese/English as names for these squads in these respective languages of the game.
Why do they have to be German? Wrong German, at that?
It's a bit stupid. to be honest. xD

Not all. Bow Knights use only bows, Great Knights only Axes, Forrest Knights only Swords. So yes, they have to specify this is a division of the Lance-only Duke Knights.

Fair point, fair point!

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh yeah, plenty of brigands have Spanish names. That's unfortunate. But the 'dignified' part is a matter of perspective, because to a German, there is nothing dignified about the name "Ernst", for example.
And the example I brought up above is just plain stupid to me, because just calling them "red/green/whatever" knights would have completely sufficed. At that point, it's just being fancy for the sake of it, and that stuff is no good.
It's like throwing an apostrophe everywhere in a vain attempt to make a name sound more exotic than it is.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I've always felt like German has been Japanese media's go-to language when it comes to foreign names. I'd say English too but English is basically a second language over there.

They do seem fond of it, it's true!

It sounds cool because I don't understand it but idk about you guys.

It does sound weird, I admit.
Very weird. xD

I admit, I only understand about... 10% of that?

That reminds me: if you're Italian, French, or Hispanic in a German show, you're horny. End of story.

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

But the 'dignified' part is a matter of perspective, because to a German, there is nothing dignified about the name "Ernst", for example.

Oh, I know. When you're german it just looks dumb, I imagine. I'm just saying, at least they're using your language for something good. My language is used to name rapists half the time.

...And Gonzales. Gonzales is best boy, I've got to admit. Also, Garcia. But that's about it, as far as I can remember...

At that point, it's just being fancy for the sake of it, and that stuff is no good.
It's like throwing an apostrophe everywhere in a vain attempt to make a name sound more exotic than it is.

M E I S T E R S H W E R T

Plenty of German in SRW too.

Alteisen, Weissritter, the Einst. Just the Einst.

Einst Knochen, Einst Glied, Einst Gemmuet, Einst Regisseur, etc.

Although, for the Balmarians they went with Hebrew instead.

Things got "fun" in SRW OG, when you have something like Alteisen beating up a Megillot.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, I know. When you're german it just looks dumb, I imagine. I'm just saying, at least they're using your language for something good. My language is used to name rapists half the time.

I get you. I'd probably be a bit... not okay with that, myself.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

M E I S T E R S H W E R T

XD
For example!

"Master Sword". Taken right from The Legend of Zelda, ladies and gents!

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Guy must be serious

Badum tss

Haha! Nice!

Spoiler

Also, hilariously enough, the name of the guy who is the final boss of the game with this girl in it:
Jin88d0.jpg

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...And Gonzales. Gonzales is best boy, I've got to admit. Also, Garcia. But that's about it, as far as I can remember...

And then they changed Inigo’s spelling for when the playable character was supposed to be a hot husbando.

I mean, maybe Gonzales is inaccurate too, I wouldn’t know.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Meanwhile me: hello, I'm Spanish from Spain. My superpower is that I am invisible to the American eye.

Spain’s Spanish is? What do you mean?

Edited by Sooks