• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

I honestly didn't get the impression that he seemed to care from Blaze Union either.

Especially not at the end where he was manipulating peeps

At the very least, he definitely cares for Gulcasa. Maybe that's just not easy to convey in the translation guide you're using.

If not... at least consider this. for Gran Centurio to power up, it was either Fantasia or Bronquia left standing. He chose Bronquia, despite the sword being in Fantasinia's hands.

He also went through the trouble of reuniting Eimi/Emilia with her brother, despite how inconsequential that would be for someone like him.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Wraith’s Iceland Diary Day 1:

I’ve tracked the source of the Teehee madness to the mysterious island of Iceland. After going through the basalt pillars I’ve spent the day exploring the island for the eldritch horror. Through rain and ice I will continue my search, so that Draggy, Twilit and Shrimp-kun will be avenged.

36BA3AAA-BF4E-4A0D-93D5-594C25CE973C.jpeg

Edited by Wraith

10 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

...until he decided to betray them

could be

or maybe i will see more in the other routes

Mhm, that's also true.

But to the theme of both Union games, it just shows how he's no different from Gulcasa or Yggdra.

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Wraith’s Iceland Diary Day 1:

I’ve tracked the source of the Teehee madness to the mysterious island of Iceland. After going through the basalt pillars I’ve spent the day exploring the island for the eldritch horror. Through rain and ice I will continue my search, so that Draggy, Twilit and Shrimp-kun will be avenged.

36BA3AAA-BF4E-4A0D-93D5-594C25CE973C.jpeg

Any lava pop up out of the ground?

Yeah, call when you're going down the Snæfellsjökull and ending on the center of the Earth...

Or emerging from Mount Etna. Whichever happens first.

...Is IX really going to force me to play the card game until I win three matches in a row? It won't just get a move on with the story when I lose and all I'd miss out is some rare bauble?😑

Makes me appreciate in other games the lack thereof of a minigame intrusion that infected some PS1 to early PS2 JRPGs.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, call when you're going down the Snæfellsjökull and ending on the center of the Earth...

Icelandic is a most eloquent language. My favorite volcano is Eyjafjallajokull, it rolls right off the tongue.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...Is IX really going to force me to play the card game until I win three matches in a row? It won't just get a move on with the story when I lose and all I'd miss out is some rare bauble?😑

Makes me appreciate in other games the lack thereof of a minigame intrusion that infected some PS1 to early PS2 JRPGs.

Yes.

I don't remember being too stuck by it, considering the attacking directions are on the cards at least.

Icelandic is a most eloquent language. My favorite volcano is Eyjafjallajokull, it rolls right off the tongue.

Ah yes, as it did off so many journalists's tongues in 2010.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Yes.

I don't remember being too stuck by it, considering the attacking directions are on the cards at least.

They are? I threw whatever cheap cards I had into my hand so I wouldn't lose anything good, and then played them without understanding any of the game. If you can't tell, I wanted nothing to do with Tetra Masters, as I didn't with Triple Triad.

This is a real mood killer to play the game anymore today. I seriously won't stop here, but I already disliked the sudden break in the action to create a calm after the intensity of the Iifa Tree, since I am concerned that the game could end up feeling rushed because it wasted time and resources elsewhere. Tomorrow, I'll throw myself into getting past this unwarranted inclusion so I can get back to hacking things.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They are? I threw whatever cheap cards I had into my hand so I wouldn't lose anything good, and then played them without understanding any of the game. If you can't tell, I wanted nothing to do with Tetra Masters, as I didn't with Triple Triad.

This is a real mood killer to play the game anymore today. I seriously won't stop here, but I already disliked the sudden break in the action to create a calm after the intensity of the Iifa Tree, since I am concerned that the game could end up feeling rushed because it wasted time and resources elsewhere. Tomorrow, I'll throw myself into getting past this unwarranted inclusion so I can get back to hacking things.

You mean you never noticed what those arrows on the corners and sides of the card were?

File:FFIX Cactuar card.png

Like, this card here. Says it can attack whatever is down, right, or diagonally up-right from it. Then Attack value of 2, Physical attribute, B (11 Hex) for Defense, 0 for Magic Defense.

It's not that complex. But well, that's just me.

Though admittedly, it is more complex than VIII's Triple Triad.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Yeah, Triple Triad apparently being throughout the entire game is a bit of a bother.

Acacia's gotten it sussed out for you though.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You mean you never noticed what those arrows on the corners and sides of the card were?

Like, this card here. Says it can attack whatever is down, right, or diagonally up-right from it. Then Attack value of 2, Physical attribute, B (11 Hex) for Defense, 0 for Magic Defense.

It's not that complex. But well, that's just me.

Though admittedly, it is more complex than VIII's Triple Triad.

The cards were too small and not that high resolution in the actual PS1 game for me to notice the arrows.

Although again, I didn't have a single ounce of care, I didn't come for Yugioh, I came for a JRPG. And if I wanted the two in one, I'd clock myself in the head and pretend BK3 exists.

Understandable.

Personally, I like minigames in JRPG's, but I can understand that it can annoy people when they're mandatory. I'm reminded how VII is also quite forced minigame heavy.

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although again, I didn't have a single ounce of care, I didn't come for Yugioh, I came for a JRPG

Hmmm that's too bad. 3 paragraph card descriptions dont suit you?

43 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hey, that card design reminds me of the ones from the card minigame in that one Shovel Knight campaign!

...Just thought I'd point it out. Carry on.

Now I'm reminded that SRW had a TCG.

That's where Katina from the OG games came from, actually. She originated from the TCG:

QNvvNc2.jpg

Originally a sniper from the Divine Crusaders, complete with her custom mech, the GAB-L.

With SRW OG making her a melee attacker, who knows if the OGverse will ever give her the GAB-L...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, that card design reminds me of the ones from the card minigame in that one Shovel Knight campaign!

To me, it looks something out of Mario Party.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Lol... what? Why? What game even?

A Metroidvania called Ghost 1.0. The gimmick of this game is that you can posses enemies and use their abilities, sometimes solving simple puzzles.

The AI knows when you posses enemies tho, they're actually smart about that.

There's two modes, Classic and Survival. Classic is your standard Metroidvania (although you lose all money when you die, not counting certain upgrades that let you respawn with a set amount). Survival is kinda roguelike in that if you die, you lose everything. I'm playing on Classic because Survival sounds like hell.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

This would actually be the greatest thing ever if it ends up happening.

Like, it would be incapable of being bad.

I mean, quotation marks and all, but it would finally be Vin Diesel outspeeding an island full of dinosaurs.

It would truly be a pioneer if it came out.

43 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Understandable.

Personally, I like minigames in JRPG's, but I can understand that it can annoy people when they're mandatory. I'm reminded how VII is also quite forced minigame heavy.

I've heard it said that it was praised back then. Something about innovating with new forms of gameplay, adding to the experience.

It would be interesting if this was true, but I haven't solid evidence to confirm the hearsay.

I think it's also arguable this played out in other genres, like the Sonic Adventures having 6/3 different characters, with Sonic & Shadow the core experience while the rest modify the 3D platforming to various extents, or outright abandon it to fishing for Big; and Spyro 3 focusing on multiple non-Spyro characters.

It seems FFX-2 might have been the turning point in the JRPG genre where people realized the minigames went too far. Although, the gaming industry as a whole was either oblivious to this issue specifically in JRPGs, or forgot about it. Because come the next generation, Quick-Time-Events become a bugbear not unlike minigames.

31 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Hmmm that's too bad. 3 paragraph card descriptions dont suit you?

If two of those paragraphs are pure flavor text, then sure.

One paragraph of text to describe the effects of a single card is enough. Any more, and the game is spiraling out of control trying to invent newfangled effects, and counters to the cards that counter the counters that counter the first big problem cards in the card game.

26 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I managed to get through most of the card matches there actually. Not all. And I never finished King of Cards actually, I was at the end, but like Plague of Torment? and Specter of I Forget, I never actually finished any of them. Wasn't a waste however, the platforming was still thrilling through all three DLC adventures.

26 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Now I'm reminded that SRW had a TCG.

That's where Katina from the OG games from, actually. She originated from the TCG:

QNvvNc2.jpg

Originally a sniper from the Divine Crusaders, complete with her custom mech, the GAB-L.

With SRW OG making her a melee attacker, who knows if the OGverse will ever give her the GAB-L...

I remember hearing of this before. Thank you for showing me the actual card, she looks a little less angry there.

Those Gespy II Ms must be approaching the limits of viability by now. They were usable to the end in OG1, because you didn't have very many spectacular units, OG2 saw them being bench material almost the start, and now it's three games later. I know they got a tune-up customization in either OG Gaiden or 2nd OG, but you're still talking mass-production mediocrity. Heck Gilliam I can imagine is finding the original R model not up to snuff and trying to banish thoughts of restoring XN-Geist to stay competitive. Probably the only "good" Gespenst around is Haken's fancy new toy.

So yes, Katina needs something anything better than what she has got. If her card game mech was a sniper mech, she did for all three minutes badly want to pilot the R-Gun in OG1, so I don't think she's entirely opposition to it, despite her preference for the fist. And Haken does remind me that it's possible for a gunner to go in on melee, all you need is a spike and a bayonet. The rules of SRWOG do permit overriding a mech's original combat purposes- see Arado's use of Wildwurger-L for one minute at melee range, and Sanger's demanded-in-a-crisis reprogramming of DDG1 from its inbuilt weapons to the Type 3 Colossal Blade.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

I mean, quotation marks and all, but it would finally be Vin Diesel outspeeding an island full of dinosaurs.

It would truly be a pioneer if it came out.

The fossils get revenge against the fossil fuels. And then the movie misleads people into thinking they destroy dinosaur skeletons when they load up on petrol. The guilt increases electric vehicle adoption and the world is saved.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The fossils get revenge against the fossil fuels

You joke but this was a plot point in Transformers Animated. Sort of.

The Dinobots start destroying the city because Megatron convinced them that humans were killing dinosaurs and using their remains to power their machines or something like that.

Edited by Armagon

Wow, Death Stranding really goes on sale a lot...I assume it'll make my computer die if I try it, though.