Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

13 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

Rule34

Oh my, how lewd!

---

One thing that comes to mind as a particularly glaring example of this disconnect Ruben and I were talking about is a certain character's, er, size.
In official stuff, she's basically normal (she wears pajamas practically all the time), but in fanart, she has mammaries that would make Camilla jealous.
And it's horrifyingly unfitting, tbh.

13 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

XD

9 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I feel like I've heard about Touhou entirely on the side, as something popular but mostly online and not being a titanic series.

Have I.... just been in the wrong circle to just know it exists and isn't insanely popular as you put it?

(At this point I should just shut up as I clearly don't understand)

The series itself is kind of lowkey, to be honest. I've read that most of its fans haven't even played any of the games.
It's just the absolutely ludicrous amount of fanwork made for it that raises it to seemingly titanic status.

Edited by TeeheeFlames

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Meanwhile, FE has 8 characters in Smash while Sakurai pretends Touhou doesn't exist. I know I'm sounding like a salty Smash fan here, but c'mon. Surely even the most rabid FE fans here see the issue with this?

Reimu in Smash has potential, now that I've seen her in her home series and the fighting game spin-offs.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Even the more innocent artwork I've seen of Touhou characters attaches big balloons to their chests, while the official designs tend to... well, not.

Patchouli.
Dear lord, that poor girl...

2 minutes ago, TeeheeFlames said:

The series itself is kind of lowkey, to be honest. I've read that most of its fans haven't even played any of the games.
It's just the absolutely ludicrous amount of fanwork made for it that raises it to seemingly titanic status.

Longevity more than anything elevates it. It really cannot be stressed enough - this is an indie franchise made by one 19-year-old who primarily started making games as a medium to share his music, if I recall correctly. And yet it's the oldest indie franchise in the world, that's still going almost 30 years later. That's fucking impressive. Of course, 30 years means there's a crapton of games, so it's no wonder most people haven't played them all. But it's known. It's very well known.

1 minute ago, TeeheeFlames said:

Reimu in Smash has potential, now that I've seen her in her home series and the fighting game spin-offs.

Definitely has. And with Reimu comes some of that glorious Touhou music. It'd be perfect, perfect I tell you!

Patchouli.
Dear lord, that poor girl...

The worst part is that officially she looks like 8. Yeah... I mean, let's not get into this discussion, everyone here has heard it a million times, but... Sheesh.

No, I only ever wanted Porky.

I meant isn't there two slots left?

This is the most likely reason they keep ignoring its existence. From what I've gathered, they're on PC first and foremost. ZUN is not fond of the idea to port his games to consoles, it seems. Still, in Japan (and heck, even elsewhere to an extent) Touhou is just... so much more relevant than like half of the franchises that actually got in, it's not even funny.

It'd be far from the only one that's for sure.

Touhou for PC Fight Gameu? (I know there's fangames, shush. I meant for a thing with more than Touhou)

Yes. 100%. I mean, for fuck's sake, even I've known it for a really long time, and you know how I am with this stuff.

I know it existed, sheesh. I friggin' knew it existed for years. You think people mention Touhoumon unprompted without knowing Touhou is a thing?

Just, I am trying to parse the idea of the series being huge.

So it's status comes entirely from people just taking the characters and music and doing more with it. Especially with how the official games are bullet hell (emphasis on hell), a genre not exactly made to be the most accessible.

A lot more, considering what I know exists is a tip on the continental shelf apparently.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The worst part is that officially she looks like 8.

Swr-portrait-patchouli.png

that doesn't look like 8 to me, (if anything 3 times that) or i talking about a different character?

Edit: ok i've seen art of her lookin younger exists, but this is the one i am most familiar with

Edited by Teeheemperor

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Longevity more than anything elevates it. It really cannot be stressed enough - this is an indie franchise made by one 19-year-old who primarily started making games as a medium to share his music, if I recall correctly. And yet it's the oldest indie franchise in the world, that's still going almost 30 years later. That's fucking impressive. Of course, 30 years means there's a crapton of games, so it's no wonder most people haven't played them all. But it's known. It's very well known.

That is also very true.

Definitely has. And with Reimu comes some of that glorious Touhou music. It'd be perfect, perfect I tell you!

Indeed! I may actually have an interest in playing Smash again, should that happen!

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The worst part is that officially she looks like 8. Yeah... I mean, let's not get into this discussion, everyone here has heard it a million times, but... Sheesh.

To be fair... everyone looks basically prebubescent in the main games. xD
The portrayals where they look older are usually the spin-offs.

2 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

Ya know, i played a few spin offs myself, but the main games i only touched at anime cons

Oh, nice! Have you played that one fighting game with the blue-haired lady? I think Tenshi was her name?
That one's story is... weird. XD

4 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

And usually fail after 1 stage hahaha

I would probably fail IN stage 1. XD

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

So it's status comes entirely from people just taking the characters and music and doing more with it. Especially with how the official games are bullet hell (emphasis on hell), a genre not exactly made to be the most accessible.

A lot more, considering what I know exists is a tip on the continental shelf apparently.

That is the impression I have, at the very least.
And yeah, the "hell" part is emphasized... particularly in games 11 and 12... ESPECIALLY 12.
Like... I was just watching and even I was sweating bullets during game 12's final boss! That being Byakuren, who is most likely my favorite character in the series right now.

that doesn't look like 8 to me, (if anything 3 times that) or i talking about a different character?

Edit: ok i've seen art of her lookin younger exists, but this is the one i am most familiar with

You should see her in her first appearance (game 6, I think). She really does look very, VERY young there.
Though young-looking or no... the big bazongas just don't fit her, no matter how you slice it. XD

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I meant isn't there two slots left?

I thought it was only one.

Reimu and Porky, let's go--

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I know it existed, sheesh. I friggin' knew it existed for years. You think people mention Touhoumon unprompted without knowing Touhou is a thing?

Sorry if I sounded overly harsh there. Just trying to stress the point that it's huge because, well, even I know it. And I never know anything lol. Remember the time people referenced Roundabout and I completely missed it? Multiple times?

Or maybe I'm just overplaying its importance simply because I find it extremely impressive that it's been going for almost 30 years with one guy at the helm.

6 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

This is, I believe, from the original game where she appeared.

683746-th06patchouli_portrait.jpg

Okay, maybe 8 was going a bit too far, but that still looks like a small kid to me. 12 or 13 at most.

Either way, I really don't want to get into this topic and send half the thread running again, but... yeah. The fans really could've calmed down a bit on the gratuitous sexualization. With her, and with everyone else.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

5 minutes ago, TeeheeFlames said:

Oh, nice! Have you played that one fighting game with the blue-haired lady? I think Tenshi was her name?

nah, didn't play a fighting one, but a RPG/jump'n'run one, and tried to get a two SRPG ones running

4 minutes ago, TeeheeFlames said:

You should see her in her first appearance (game 6, I think)

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

first time i see that art, honestly

but yeah here she does look like a kid

I am more faimiliar with her lookin like 

ZlFvj7p.png

which is like 2 to 3 times as old as that official pic

you see how much more i am familiar with the fanworks rather than official ones xD

The fans really could've calmed down a bit on the gratuitous sexualization. With her, and with everyone else.

Edited by Teeheemperor

nah, didn't play a fighting one, but a RPG/jump'n'run one, and tried to get a two SRPG ones running

I see!
I want to play one or two spin-offs someday, too!

you see how much more i am familiar with the fanworks rather than official ones xD

That's what I'm talking about! If people know Touhou, it's usually the fan stuff. XD
Also, this picture is great! She at least looks normal!

---

q6ubNSF.png

This is Tenshi, btw.
Great design, I think! The character itself? Kind of an asshole, really. XD
Then again, Reimu is also kind of a douche. XD

Also, blue hair... uses a sword...
Oh god!

Edited by TeeheeFlames

first time i see that art, honestly

Yes, well, that's THE art. It's how she came to exist.

I am more faimiliar with her lookin like 

ZlFvj7p.png

which is like 2 to 3 times as old as that official pic

Yeah, that's a lot less gross, at least.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. Fanworks are consistently better than ZUN's attempts at art, which is fine, the guy's no artist. But faithful fanworks are impossible to find, I swear...

Ahahahahahahah... Okay, this is amazing. And too true!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Also, this picture is great! She at least looks normal!

one of my fav. designs, honestly xD

Nerd-ish purple haired bookworm look? I dig!

This is Tenshi, btw.

Ah, i know her...

again from a fanwork xD

One of the songs i liked to OSU to the most

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But faithful fanworks are impossible to find, I swear...

why would you want artwork for 8 year old lookin Patchouli and not 20 year old lookin one?

Edited by Teeheemperor

Or maybe I'm just overplaying its importance simply because I find it extremely impressive that it's been going for almost 30 years with one guy at the helm.

I feel like it's being somewhat elevated here, but still, 30 years isn't nothing.

Again, it's older than me. DAMMIT TOUHOU, WHY ARE YOU SO AGED?

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Remember the time people referenced Roundabout and I completely missed it? Multiple times?

Good times, good times.

Speaking of Yes, I always misheard Owner of a Lonely Heart as Horse, so I thought the guy was just wandering a wasteland on his own or the horse wanted friends or something.

2 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

The true sign you've made it: people keep making you into horny shit.

(I thought it was it's own thing, but turns out it's in a musical)

3 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

why would you want artwork for 8 year old lookin Patchouli and not 20 year old lookin one?

Well... You know how I am with these topics. Personally, I'd rather have both. 20 year old looking + non-sexualized. But, it's impossible, it seems.

...I really should just shut up and post some music, I seriously didn't want to start pages of discussion about anime designs for the 27th time.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I feel like it's being somewhat elevated here, but still, 30 years isn't nothing.

Touhou 1 is only 11 years older than Super Mario Bros. 5 years older than Sonic the Hedgehog. I really don't think I'm elevating it too much.

4 hours ago, Benice said:

ALSO THIS DRAGON IS A TROLL

He really is, but once you get to the underside of the bridge, if you have a range weapon you can shoot its tail until it breaks off, which gets you a sword which has functionality similar to a Jagen (high base damage, but terrible scaling, which makes it useful in the early game, but falls off as you levelup, plus its difficult to forge...).

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

20 year old looking + non-sexualized

Patchouli.Knowledge.full.1698746.jpg

😛

anyway, music

xD

Oh god!

Just noticed that edit from Draggy

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Teeheemperor

Mood

atleast i will be seein some of my friends today after a long ass while of not seeing em

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's so stupid

you wot m8

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Touhou 1 is only 11 years older than Super Mario Bros. 5 years older than Sonic the Hedgehog. I really don't think I'm elevating it too much.

Older?

How did I miss this?

Now I'm very confused. The sentence makes no sense now.

Also, that makes it ~25 years, right? Sheesh, trying to give me a heart attack and make me think the dev might retire in a few years.

2 hours ago, TeeheeFlames said:

Thank you for being so supportive. ^^

No problem. Always glad to be there.

I couldn't be here yesterday due to circumstances... actually, because I was binging playthroughs of the Touhou series.
Hot DAMN these games have some godlike music. One theme in particular has earned my highest of praise: to me, this theme is nearly on the same level as Lucia, which I cannot help but name as my favorite piece of music in general whenever the opportunity arises (case in point... xD).
In any case, have a listen to this:

Niiiiiiiiiiiice.

Also, this game's difficulty looks to be sadism in entertainment media form. This boss in particular... holy crap!
... I'll stick to watching playthroughs of this series. XD

Yeah, definitely. I've never beaten one even on easy mode *cough*.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not gonna lie, I feel like Touhou deserves Smash representation more than a couple of the franchises that actually got some. But such is life.

Do it Ninty.

725184583816970282.png?v=1

Just that it's very anime, so I probably wouldn't enjoy it, myself. But gameplay and music are the main draws here, anyway.

Yeah, Draggy's right. Most of the anime is strictly in fan works.

Although I'd definitely recommend you play Touhou Luna Nights. That game is dope, fan made or no. And it's got great pixel art. Alright. alright shilling over.

She's pretty obviously one of the memes of the franchise.

Baka no. 9.

Her theme is one of my favorites.

1 hour ago, TeeheeFlames said:

believe I read somewhere that he doesn't mind it too much, though.

I'm honestly impressed with how much freedom he gives to fanworks while we still have massive companies like Ninty ready to drop the axe on anyone who uses their IP even in the smallest way they dislike.

Okay, maybe 8 was going a bit too far, but that still looks like a small kid to me. 12 or 13 at most.

Either way, I really don't want to get into this topic and send half the thread running again, but... yeah. The fans really could've calmed down a bit on the gratuitous sexualization. With her, and with everyone else.

Agreed. I know I'm in the minority, but I really dislike when a series that was not made with that appeal in mind receives that treatment. I get fans are free to be creative in the way they want to, but idk. I just don't care for it.

ZUN's original designs have plenty of charm on their own. They really don't need edits or anything like that.

Then again, Reimu is also kind of a douche. XD

Her lines though. The insults are great! XD

Oh god!

Hehehe....

But faithful fanworks are impossible to find, I swear...

Ngl, I've not had much issue finding faithful fan art when I've looked for it. Maybe I've just been lucky, idk. Seems to me like there's a good mix of faithful work and not so faithful work.

Patchouli.Knowledge.full.1428191.jpg

:shrug :

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Now I will move to criticizing the hat: It's so stupid, fucking anime, I swear--

--------

Uh, anyway. Started bingingwatching Demon Slayer yesterday. Good stuff.

Obligatory music post