• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I'll have to look into it more but i might play this one?

At least from what was shown, it does seem interesting that the only real character is the guy there. A solo journey through a post-apocalyptic hellscape sounds interesting.

Doesn't appear to be too dark like what's kept me away from the other SMTs either.

Again, Devil Survivor 2 might be a spinoff, but it would be a good pick to safely sample the tone of SMT. Devil Survivor 2 does have some Persona and "anime" lighthearted elements, but it retains enough of the apocalyptic setting, you can tell the world is in serious crisis, but it isn't as bleak as most SMTs. Likewise, the game has an 11th hour ending split wherein you choose humanity's future, typical of SMT. If it's too dark for you, you will know the rest of the franchise is beyond your tolerance level.

The first Devil Survivor has is also good, although the gameplay mechanics aren't quite as refined as DS2, and it has a stronger traditional SMT atmosphere, if with a dose of "popular, serious, but not dark anime" influence. But, baby steps, I wouldn't want you to cross your boundary line all of a sudden. -I don't know what is "too dark" for you, so I can't say upfront if it'd be present.

Truth be told, outside of a few select moments in SMT -IV's Reverse Hills Building being the biggest one for me- I don't actually find Shin Megami Tensei all that dark. I think it prides itself an edginess that is actually puerile almost, utterly shallow compared to certain mangas and normal literature I haven't read and know little or nothing about. I don't think I have much of a tolerance for real darkness, so I find it strange I've gone through SMTs feeling fine almost all the time, despite people calling SMT dark.

I think I'm more turned off atmospherically from Persona 5 of all things, reading secondhand about the sex offender gym coach who likes teenage girls. Ugh. Kill him with Agidyne. At least he is just the first dungeon, that's the silver lining, and the rest of the game seems totally fine -were I to ever consider it.

-Though I am not trying to convert you. I am nothing more than one of these guys:

Screen-Shot-2021-06-15-at-9-32-42-PM.png

Knowledgeable in the arcane arts, welcoming and assisting all who are curious, but not forcing one down a particular path.

At least from what was shown, it does seem interesting that the only real character is the guy there. A solo journey through a post-apocalyptic hellscape sounds interesting.

I can see strong Nocturne inspiration here, while SMTIV was heavily inspired by SMT I & II.

Nocturne I shall mention had very few humans. Other than the Demi-Fiend -the MC- you had five humans who survived the Conception- the apocalypse. The rest of humanity died, some surviving as ghosts chilling out in the post-apocalyptic world, while those who didn't survive at all had their stronger emotions fuse with the soil to become physically weak humanoids with human-level intelligence called Manikins. Other than that, the world was inhabited entirely by demons. -Raidou/Dante not included in the five human survivors, they came from another dimension.

You don't actually witness all of humanity perishing nor hear their screams or anything, so Nocturne felt fine to me.

I've never played Advance Wars but $60 for a two-remake combo is a good deal, is it not?

It's better than Link's Awakening for sure, and it'd be good at $40, less would be bliss. But $60, that is $30 for each GBA game, it'd be a more tolerable $20 if Dual Strike had been packaged in there too it could use the new assets no problem. And if you have a Wii U, you can currently buy both GBA games for $16 + tax right now.

Still, I can get over some excessive pricing and aesthetic critiques -Max has no chin anymore- I'm not obsessed with pixel sprites the way some people are. For AW to have spent nearly two decades with absolutely nothing new and barely any ports, I will settle. Let it follow with a Days of Ruin 2.

Recent modest game revivals like this, which also include: Square's recent Romancing SaGa 2 & 3 and Saga Frontier remasters, Square's Seiken Dentetsu 3 aka Trials of Mana English translation, and the scummy limited-time English FE1 release, are all positive things. They keep the flicker of hope alive for other little returns from the grave -like that Xenosaga HD Remaster.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In celebration of Metroid Dread

IMG_20210615_214255.jpg?width=863&height

I will play it after homework.

The SAXiest game in the world. Hope you're ready for your Metroid Vaccine!

I like Fusion, although some find it too linear, as I've said before.

Speaking of linearity, once you get the Screw Attack at the end of the game (IIRC that's the turning point), if you're still hunting for Missile Tanks and E Tanks, never step into a computer room if you aren't ready for the final boss. You'll be forced to go and confront it once you do. Fortunately, the Screw Attack lets you break the walls that separate the Sectors, so you can still get around that way.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

The real problem with Fusion is that the many cutscenes cannot be skipped.

...yet for some reason the game still scores you for clear time.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I'm more turned off atmospherically from Persona 5 of all things, reading secondhand about the sex offender gym coach who likes teenage girls. Ugh. Kill him with Agidyne. At least he is just the first dungeon, that's the silver lining, and the rest of the game seems totally fine -were I to ever consider it.

Oh hey, a Byleth cameo.

People have 100%'ed it with plenty of time to spare under the 2hrs needed for the best score. It's not that big of an issue, I'd say.

I don't think all the cutscenes combined take even five minutes of an hour and fifty minutes rush.

But then, since getting the absolute "score", or just any score for that matter, is simply a different picture of Samus after the end credits, it's not like you have to rush through.

How long do you think Metroid games take to finish if you're playing blind or as a standard rate of play? Fusion likely takes at worst only slightly shorter than, say, Super Metroid.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Then it boils down that the blind exploration artificially lengthens the game time.

Fusion isn't any smaller than any other game. It only feels so because it's mission-based structure means you know where to go right off the bat.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

38 minutes ago, Armagon said:

n celebration of Metroid Dread

I'll likely play through Super before Dread comes out myself. Never touched it.

I'm still sitting here in disbelief, not because a new 2D Metroid is being released, but that the "Dread" concept is being revived. It's awesome to see them hold on to an idea for so long and see it through.

28 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I'm still sitting here in disbelief, not because a new 2D Metroid is being released, but that the "Dread" concept is being revived. It's awesome to see them hold on to an idea for so long and see it through.

Some developers retain design documents for a long time. The SaGa Frontier remaster released a few months ago added a few cut scenes to game from 1997, and restored the missing 8th character's story, sizable content recoveries, the notes were good enough to do it. And Yasuyuki Honne said Namco has a bunch of pre-production planning papers sealed away for Baten Kaitos 3.

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

My Fusion times stink, haha. Now Zero Mission? My best is like 1:13 or so. Much better than Fusion, overall. 

Imagine speedrunning.

There is simply no way I could ever muster the reflexes or quick thoughts necessary for that art. My mind is as scattered as the frozen guts of a Metroid, smashed by a Super Missile. I take things at my own pace.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Nothing like spending like three-four days in a row grinding...

9owIm7y.png

The cat levels. And I still don't have every cat registered in the catalogue, so eventually I'll have to do this all over again, haha...

Thankfully it's not as complex as the main game. Just a Rock-Paper-Scissors structure for the most part.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

And I still am not done. There's an additional sidequest to do... and the super bosses. Because even this part of the game has super bosses.

I kid you not, these space alien cats have their own Shitennou/EliteFour/FourHeavenlyKings esque... thankfully not a gauntlet like in Pokémon...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Now that I think about it, the only 2D Metroid I haven't finished is the first one. I bought the 3DS early so I got Fusion for free, I played Samus Returns when it came out, and I played Super with the Switch Online.

My main question with Dread is, how will they bring back Ridley this time? It's the end of the Metroid saga so they can't just not include him. Hopefully they'll bring back Kraid too.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Where are the rioting Smash fans that complain about the new character being to similar to Ryu/Terry!?

Kazuya isn't anime or a swordsman, so he's fine. He also threw Marth into a volcano, which means he doesn't like Fire Emblem either.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

It looks like the deciding factor might've been that since Kazuya was the original protagonist of Tekken, he was chosen due to that even though Heihachi is far more recognizable.

Of course, Kazuya may have been the protagonist but he was the protagonist in the same way Thanos was the protagonist of Infinity War. Because he is not a good guy and that makes him the only other villain besides Sephiroth to join as DLC.

To refresh my Tekken lore, Kazuya was the main character of Tekken 1, but he wasn't really "good" even then. He became the main villain in 2, was busy being dead in 3, and is still a villain (though not the main villain) in 4, 5, and 6. He's also arguably the main character of 7, which focuses on concluding his and Heihachi's rivalry. But it was Kazuya's idea to make a genetically engineered boxing dinosaur, so he can't be all bad, right?

Kazuya, Heihachi, and Jin can all be considered Tekken's main characters, so all three had valid reasons to be chosen for Smash. Heihachi appears in all seven games, while Kazuya missed out on 3 which Jin was introduced in. Of course, the real reason Heihachi wasn't added is because he was in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, and Sakurai didn't want to double dip.

The problem with the first game isn't even necessarily that it has no map. But to preserve memory, it also often reuses rooms and is of course lacking in any kind of landmarks.
So the lack of a map is much more painful here then it would be in any other game in the series.

I think Heihachi might've not made it due to the fact his most recent Seiyuu died.

I mean, his whole "reverse aging due to experimental drug" was the excuse to give him a new voice that one time. But now he doesn't have even that.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-I don't know what is "too dark" for you, so I can't say upfront if it'd be present.

It's honestly hard to like, properly explain. It's just like, a feeling.

Although in some cases, like with Berserk, yeah that's too dark for me but that's also cheating lol.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Speaking of linearity, once you get the Screw Attack at the end of the game (IIRC that's the turning point), if you're still hunting for Missile Tanks and E Tanks, never step into a computer room if you aren't ready for the final boss. You'll be forced to go and confront it once you do. Fortunately, the Screw Attack lets you break the walls that separate the Sectors, so you can still get around that way.

Good to know.

57 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I'll likely play through Super before Dread comes out myself. Never touched it.

Super is a very good game but be warned, it does have some dumb obscure shit in it.

40 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Going for that lower thwn 2hr completion? 

I didn't even know that was a thing tbh.

I took 4 hours to clear Super Metroid but that's because of the stupid shit lol.

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Some developers retain design documents for a long time. The SaGa Frontier remaster released a few months ago added a few cut scenes to game from 1997, and restored the missing 8th character's story, sizable content recoveries, the notes were good enough to do it.

Brb, hacking into Takahashi's harddrive to see what the fuck Xenogears Episode 6 was supposed to be.

8 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

My main question with Dread is, how will they bring back Ridley this time? 

1618bfa38a1175f4eaf666df9d80e3478bf9b9bd

11 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

But it was Kazuya's idea to make a genetically engineered boxing dinosaur, so he can't be all bad, right?

Alex should've been the Tekken rep.

I'd laugh if they pull another Fusion and Other M and we find yet another Metroid cloning lab... for third time's sake.

As for Ridley... I'm pretty sure a copy of Ridley-X could've escaped from B.S.L before it exploded...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

You know, I could see it now. Ridley-X copied itself before its fight with Samus. The clone escapes. How we avoid stablishing the X are rebuilding? Some handwaving that Ridley's will/soul/memories imprinted so hard on the X, this Ridley-X is only driven to enact revenge on Samus (doubled-down as avenging the rest of the X parasites too while we're at it). Thus, one final clash. Due to this, this Ridley-X didn't made a copy. Thus, both Ridley and the X are finished off for good...

Wait, she is already on that planet due to rumors of X parasites... yeah, it can check out...

Edited by Acacia Sgt