• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

43 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Currently playing Final Fantasy 13. the best way I can describe  it is being all over the place. I can tolerate (somewhat) the excessive linearity, the little exploration, but what gets on me is the  game feels designed for having 3 party members. But for the early chapters are mostly restricted to two members. And when the leader dies it's a game over. Boss fights are a coin flip if it is a breeze or a paradigm shifting mess.

Earlygame is the most difficult. 

Stagger is important, Dual RAV can make quick work of the enemy. 

You know that feeling when everyone says your haircut looks good, but you think you look terrible?

I should just go for the man-bun look so that I don't have to get haircuts

20 minutes ago, Benice said:

You know that feeling when everyone says your haircut looks good, but you think you look terrible?

I should just go for the man-bun look so that I don't have to get haircuts

That feeling is the worst, and them saying it makes it all that much more awkward.

So a friend of mine ordered a Metroid Fusion cart from a retro game store, since he has a GBA SP and uh

Screenshot_20210626-141311.png?width=576

Can he sue? I think he should sue tbh.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Easily fixable, change it to "Went inside a black hole to stop a demon from devouring the Earth with it, and then upon the demon's defeat and the black hole's dissolution, wound up on the Moon. There, a pretty maiden from lunar civilization fell in love with this silver fox, and proceeded to give him legendary reverse-aging moon medication to make him young again". He then decides to map out the Moon's surface, unearthing an ancient spaceship he immediately uses to revisit Earth to reverse-age Dogi for his ship's first mate, before settling sail into the endless sea of stars aka the "Final Frontier of Adventure". 😛

I feel like you're referencing something but idk what lol.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

we still don't know what the deal with the 2 moons in the Ys world. I bet we will have to deal with it some time

Is that actually relevant? I just assumed it had two moons because why not.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I am a happy man in this moment. 'Twas a good purchase. Thanks, Steam sale.

...Well, and you. It was your post comparing it to Ecclesia that caught my attention. So thank you.

Glad you're enjoying it. You mentioned liking Ecclesia and i remembered Observer that that was the game most similar to Bloodstained so i was like "if Ruben like that, he might like this".

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Is that actually relevant? I just assumed it had two moons because why not

we don't know. I just suspect they might do something because the Ys world is pretty much a mythical version of the real one, so i think they might to something with the moons

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

feel like you're referencing something but idk what lol

lunar civilization and drug feels like Tale of Kaguya to me, but i am not sure

8 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

JmNJYm6.jpg

Mood

Indeed.

8 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

lq0R4YW.jpg
9PJYtt8.jpg
I killed him 3 seconds after XD

lmao

7 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Awww, that's really cute!

Thanks, hehe~

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

1st or near-first areas should usually have good or great music in video games, because there is only one chance at first impression, draw the player in with a high note. And if the early location music is subdued, try to hit the player over the head with an excellent battle tune instead.

Yeah, I fully agree with this! 
Sorry to bring it up again, but Nights of Azure does both, quite excellently at that!

(The first two are the area themes, the last one is the first boss theme)

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So, has DragonFlames met the teary one already?

Can't say that rings a bell at the moment!

---

awwhCfo.jpglhVmhUe.jpgyXbCDCV.jpg

I love funny dialogue options. XD

Also
HBsBdmQ.jpg

AvaloDraggyl! XD
Fun boss fight, too! Very enjoyable~

Edited by DragonFlames

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I love funny dialogue options. XD

You might enjoy Celceta then xD

It might be a weak game, but when it comes to dialogue options it's pretty lolzy

AvaloDraggyl! XD

ayy

But you will meet one later on that fits you really well, you shall see xD

Edited by Shrimperor

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

we don't know. I just suspect they might do something because the Ys world is pretty much a mythical version of the real one, so i think they might to something with the moons

Well the last time a mythical version of the real world had two moons, one of them ended up being a Death Star-like space station.

On that note, play Kid Icarus: Uprising.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

You might enjoy Celceta then xD

It might be a weak game, but when it comes to dialogue options it's pretty lolzy

Nice! XD
If I can, and depending on what impression Ys 8 leaves on me once I finish it, I might look into getting more games in the series! ^^

Though spoiler alert: current impression: VERY positive!
Also bewildered by past me for not grasping combat... XD

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

ayy

But you will meet one later on that fits you really well, you shall see xD

Hype.png

Oh, also, if you were curious as to where I'm at: I just got done getting Alison to join the village! Took a break for now, but I'm definitely excited to see more... especially about this:
AKVBda9.jpg

Intrigued_Draggy.jpg

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Also bewildered by past me for not grasping combat... XD

happens to all of us!

What difficulty btw?

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

especially about this:

Daaaaanaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ❤️ 

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So a friend of mine ordered a Metroid Fusion cart from a retro game store, since he has a GBA SP and uh

Screenshot_20210626-141311.png?width=576

Can he sue? I think he should sue tbh.

Your friend be like

Portrait_sue_fe06.png

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Glad you're enjoying it.

I die in two hits to everything and there's one room that I straight up cannot pass without getting down to 4 HP.

So yeah, I'm loving it.

You mentioned liking Ecclesia and i remembered Observer that that was the game most similar to Bloodstained so i was like "if Ruben like that, he might like this".

Armagon out there playing 4D chess.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

happens to all of us!

What difficulty btw?

I went with Normal to start with!

Daaaaanaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ❤️ 

Well, someone's in love! xD

On a related note: The implication that that scene was Adol's dream is interesting, for sure.

If I can, and depending on what impression Ys 8 leaves on me once I finish it, I might look into getting more games in the series! ^^

I will warn you about Ys 7. Every boss takes 10,000 years to die for no good reason.

But i'm not that experienced with Ys either, as the only other game i've played was Origin (which is decent, you should play it even if you watched a playthrough already).

So i'll let Shrimpy do the recommendations.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Your friend be like

Portrait_sue_fe06.png

I looked up the store he ordered from and it turns out they have a history of doing this.

In other words, he got scammed hard. And the store only allows returns for in-store credit, as if anything else in their inventory is legit.

I suggested he chargeback cause that's really the only way he's gonna get his money back.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I die in two hits to everything and there's one run that I straight up cannot pass without getting down to 4 HP.

tumblr_23262c111487977e659a1e39906caa4d_

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Well, someone's in love! xD

I mean

I make it no secret that i love her haha

she's up there with Estelle for me, and you know how much i love Estelle

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I will warn you about Ys 7. Every boss takes 10,000 years to die for no good reason

I have to agree with this, sadly, as much as  i love Ys 7.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So i'll let Shrimpy do the recommendations

I'll say this: you can start anywhere aslong as it isn't Ys 2.

At least the combat itself is solid. Which makes the fact that the boss fights bring everything to a screeching halt hurt even more.

Not what I was expecting from the game, would not fight into Paper Mario at all. Sounds like something that belongs in a standard JRPG, not sure which franchise exactly. Although I'm also tasting select notes of SRW. Points for following PM for the 64128th time and giving each end of chapter boss fight its own theme, I think. 

I haven't actually paid much attention to the soundtrack so far, not to say it's bad. There is a ingame sound test, but I think I'll wait until I'm done with the game and then listen to the whole thing on YouTube. I'm developing this weird habit of wanting to wink whenever the battle victory tune plays.

One new gameplay criticism- I'm done with Chapter 3, and the heroes have not received an increase to their basic attack damage. By now, Mario would've given me the Super Boots and Super Hammer. Was it necessary to deflate PM's already low damage values? When I get the timing right on the Action Commands, I still deal literally 1 damage against some enemies with just one or two Defense. Enemy HP looks to be creeping up at the same time my offense is stagnating -don't get drawn out and tedious BF!

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I feel like you're referencing something but idk what lol.

It started with a reference, SMT Strange Journey to be precise, since that game takes place inside a black hole forming over Antartica- the other polar region. But then I went off the rails afterwards. Sending Adol to the moon is slightly borrowed from Strange Journey Redux's enhanced Neutral Ending. Yet, after arriving on the moon, the rest is pure zaniness I invented on the spot. Adol can't die until he's reached the ends of the universe I decided, as a true explorer's desires would be, hence the need for the anti-aging, the spaceship, and his eternal travel bro to share the experience with.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well the last time a mythical version of the real world had two moons, one of them ended up being a Death Star-like space station.

Or an alternative, to cite old FFIV, the second moon is the planet home to a foreign civilization, slumbering above. More technologically advanced than the planet below, they don't interact, barring the one inevitable traveler. Said traveler ends up teaching the people on the planet important stuff, like magic, and siring the main character and their Vader-ish manipulated brother. The second moon flies away in the ending after the 1.5/10 true villain is slain in its depths.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I will warn you about Ys 7. Every boss takes 10,000 years to die for no good reason.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I heard!

I did defeat a boss in Final Fantasy XII that had no less than 25 million HP. It was an optional boss, granted, buuuut... I know a thing or two about bosses that just won't die. XD
That same game has a boss with 50 million HP... that I never managed to beat.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But i'm not that experienced with Ys either, as the only other game i've played was Origin (which is decent, you should play it even if you watched a playthrough already).

So i'll let Shrimpy do the recommendations.

That one is on my list, definitely!
Yunica was that good of a protag for me.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I mean

I make it no secret that i love her haha

she's up there with Estelle for me, and you know how much i love Estelle

Hehe, just teasin' a little! ^^

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I'll say this: you can start anywhere aslong as it isn't Ys 2.

Then I will start with Ys 8! XD

Joking aside, I will see what games are available for me to play on the consoles I own first, most likely. Though depending on how long 8 takes me, I might even play 9 after.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I looked up the store he ordered from and it turns out they have a history of doing this.

In other words, he got scammed hard. And the store only allows returns for in-store credit, as if anything else in their inventory is legit.

I suggested he chargeback cause that's really the only way he's gonna get his money back.

Oof... Well, I hope he's more careful in the future, them.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

tumblr_23262c111487977e659a1e39906caa4d_

Damn right I did. Every attempt I get a bit further.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not what I was expecting from the game, would not fight into Paper Mario at all. Sounds like something that belongs in a standard JRPG, not sure which franchise exactly

I got Pokemon vibes from the opening notes.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

did defeat a boss in Final Fantasy XII that had no less than 25 million HP. It was an optional boss, granted, buuuut... I know a thing or two about bosses that just won't die. XD

But that was a turn-based game at least.

But the first boss of Ys 7 alone can take like 15 minutes. My guess is that they wanted incentive to use the Specials but the Specials also take way too long to charge up. And even then, it doesn't do anywhere near enough damage to justify the wait time.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Damn right I did. Every attempt I get a bit further.

You're like that one guy in Greek mythology who got punished by having to push a boulder uphill. But no matter how hard he tries, it will just roll back down.

But that was a turn-based game at least.

Actually, FFXII has an MMO-type system that feels VERY similar to Xenoblade 2's combat.
Minus the button prompts for combos. Instead, you "program" your allies' actions via things called "Gambits" (basically stuff like "if ally HP > 50%, use x item/spell"). It's interesting stuff, actually!

Though detractors might say that the game basically incentivizes you not to play it, which... is kiiiind of understandable. I don't really agree, but I do understand where people who say this are coming from.

But the first boss of Ys 7 alone can take like 15 minutes. My guess is that they wanted incentive to use the Specials but the Specials also take way too long to charge up. And even then, it doesn't do anywhere near enough damage to justify the wait time.

Oh boy.
Every boss is the (aptly named) Hell Wyrm! Yay! xD

Edited by DragonFlames