Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Robert Stewart said:

Nope

had no idea that was a thing and don't feel like resetting to get it at this point

Well, if I didn't feel like it was a vital item, I wouldn't lament the fact that it has such an arbitrary requirement.

Being able to negate enemy critical hit chances makes a lot of situations much easier to deal with.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Uuhhh.

...I don't know, I'm wondering if Iga isn't really just a pseudonym of Kaga.

Impossible.

Iga makes good games.

31 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Use the wall jump skip. Bypasses around half that segment! Xd

I don't even know what that is but doesn't matter, I beat it already.

I didn't want to ever consult a guide for Bug Fables, but I can't for the love of Venus find an NPC who tells me where that second half of that key for the desert ruins is! 😫

I also want to see what the recipe is for that "Hearty Breakfast" food the one old man has been wanting since Chapter 1, the game gave me clues for a slew of recipes, but not that one.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The wonders of Iga's hard mode. Nothing surprising, it was this way in Ecclesia too. Most infamously, the second level of the game, an unremarkable corridor in normal mode, was filled with medusa heads in hard. They turn you to stone, which 99% of the time amounted to an instant kill. It was wonderful.

IIRC, all of OoE's Hard Modes increased the minimum damage dealt by all enemies to 61, even those in the starting area. Why, I do not know.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

IMG_20210626_215440.jpg

Congrats on another Metroid down!

This was one of the better but not best ZM ending images by the way:

Zero_Mission_Ending_5.png

And if you ever wondered what Samus looked like as a child, from Fusion in Japan only.:

Metfusionendj-3.png

And there a few more like it, I didn't want to overload on the pics.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I didn't want to ever consult a guide for Bug Fables, but I can't for the love of Venus find an NPC who tells me where that second half of that key for the desert ruins is! 😫

Ch. 4, right? Yeah, I'm stuck there too, lol.

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't even know what that is but doesn't matter, I beat it already.

That hostility.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wait, you dont mean literally, do you?

YEAH! Another KH III DLC boss down on Critical mode! God its stressful on my mind and my hands! People who think their gameplay is lacking in the DLC need their eyes checked. XD

The gameplay is top notch for the series standard, easy.

Metroid: Zero Mission is a masterpiece:

Now as of this review, the only 2D Metroid i have yet to play is Samus Returns (and Dread but that ain't out yet lol), but, i think Zero Mission might actually be peak 2D Metroid. This game is exquisite, it is sublime. Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion were already fantastic games but this one just refines the Metroid gameplay absolutely perfectly. Everything feels exactly right and it's all packaged in one of the best-looking games of the GBA.

For the first time, i feel that a Metroid game had a stellar soundtrack. This may be a hot take but while i wouldn't call Super Metroid and Fusion's soundtracks bad, i can't really call them memorable. But Zero Mission? *chef's kiss*.

I love the decision to show the player where to go but still letting them figure it out on their own. I love that the game can show you a nearly completed map of the area but only when you find a map room, as opposed to Fusion, which showed you most of the area at the start. And it's all done in a way that avoids the "what the fuck do i do" moments that plague Super and to a lesser extent, Fusion.

And then there's the Zero Suit stealth segment. I will admit, i was concerned at first because stealth segments usually aren't great. But not here. Zero Mission's stealth segment works wonderfully while also being perfectly tense in the times you get spotted. And then when you finally get your full-powered Power Suit back and that remix of the Brinstar theme (the theme that plays in the starting area), it's all just so fucking good.

The only real complaints i have here are that the two bosses that in tiny-ass rooms are just really annoying to deal with. Most of the bosses being in large rooms does make them much easier to fight but easy boss fights do work in favor of such a short game like this.

Metroid: Zero Mission is a masterpiece.

Screenshot_3904.png?width=796&height=432

Man, i'm so glad i bought a Wii U back in October. I got to play my second favorite game of all time, reunited with a childhood favorite that is also a masterpiece, and was able to find a brand new masterpiece from a classic era.

38 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Zero_Mission_Ending_5.png

And if you ever wondered what Samus looked like as a child, from Fusion in Japan only.:

Metfusionendj-3.png

And there a few more like it, I didn't want to overload on the pics.

These are all pretty nice. I had already known what child Samus looked like thanks to that one cutscene in ZM although it did make her appear a bit more like a boy there.

23 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That hostility.

Haha, i'm sorry if i came across that way. Didn't mean to.

Edited by Armagon

Bonus: Metroid (NES) review:

It's really cool that Zero Mission comes with a fossil as a bonus for when you beat it. Metroid on NES is really cool in that you play it for 10 minutes and then realize that not only is it awful by today's standards but it was awful even for the time. Yeah, it started it's own genre but this is not a game you want to play unless you're really interested in how it all started.

Literally just play Zero Mission instead lol.

17 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wait, you dont mean literally, do you?

I meant in terms of stringency for acquisition.

*Double checks*

Okay it the best timed image in Normal, requiring <2 hrs with 100%. Under 2 hrs 100% Hard is:

138px-Zero_Mission_Ending_6.png

And <15% of items obtained on Normal and Hard (no time constraints) give these images:

138px-Zero_Mission_Ending_7.png138px-Zero_Mission_Ending_8.png

But I picked the "Samus at the bar" image, because it shows her with the most attitude. I like it. Girl gotta relax sometimes, can't be a stoic warrior every day of the month. Between escapes from giant explosions/crashes, exterminating all Metroids, dancing with Ridley, looking for Artifacts and Temple Keys, getting corrupted with Phazon to the point of vomiting, being in Other M... the list goes on for reasons Samus deserves a drink.

25 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ch. 4, right? Yeah, I'm stuck there too, lol.

I checked, looks like we need to find a well in Defiant Root, the NPC is hiding at the bottom there. I'll beat 'cha to the end of the game first!😝

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Metroid: Zero Mission is a masterpiece.

Glad to see you've a newfound beloved franchise! Hopefully Samus Returns doesn't suddenly turn out to be a major disappointment for you. I'm afraid putting a prior game on your masterpiece list might raise your expectations too high.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Bonus: Metroid (NES) review:

It's really cool that Zero Mission comes with a fossil as a bonus for when you beat it. Metroid on NES is really cool in that you play it for 10 minutes and then realize that not only is it awful by today's standards but it was awful even for the time. Yeah, it started it's own genre but this is not a game you want to play unless you're really interested in how it all started.

Literally just play Zero Mission instead lol.

A-greed! A few franchises were great on the NES. Some 2D Mario fans argue SMB3 is the best, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse commonly contends for the best Classicvania. Kirby's Adventure holds up well. The NES Ninja Gaiden trilogy was great. Mega Man put out 6 good-to-awesome titles.

But Metroid, oh dear... that lack of a map damns it to Hell by itself. The Japanese version had save files instead of passwords, which makes it slightly better, but still very very bad.

Pft

8RRP9F3.png

Weapons with all sorts of names... and then suddenly: Espada.

The fact it's one of the most powerful ones (from the craftables at least) makes it even more hilarious.

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But I picked the "Samus at the bar" image, because it shows her with the most attitude. I like it. Girl gotta relax sometimes, can't be a stoic warrior every day of the month. Between escapes from giant explosions/crashes, exterminating all Metroids, dancing with Ridley, looking for Artifacts and Temple Keys, getting corrupted with Phazon to the point of vomiting, being in Other M... the list goes on for reasons Samus deserves a drink.

"Being in Other M" lmaooooooo man i really need to play that game for myself. Another day tho.

Btw, i would like to see a Metroid game tackle the more civilized parts of the Metroid universe. Well maybe the Prime games do this but 2D Metroid at least takes place in very hostile environments and the one time it should be civilized, it gets taken over by X-Parasites.

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Glad to see you've a newfound beloved franchise! Hopefully Samus Returns doesn't suddenly turn out to be a major disappointment for you. I'm afraid putting a prior game on your masterpiece list might raise your expectations too high.

Yep yep. I didn't expect to like Zero Mission as much as i did but halfway through, i was like "yeah, if it keeps up this momentum, we've got a masterpiece here".

Really, the only concern with Samus Returns is that i'll be spending full price for the first time. Super came free with NSO, Zero Mission and Fusion were $7 a piece.

Of course, i'll be buying Dread at full price anyways so might as well get used to it.

24 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

8RRP9F3.png

Weapons with all sorts of names... and then suddenly: Espada.

Tbf, "espada" does sound cooler than "sword". Even if it's literally the same meaning.

52 minutes ago, Armagon said:

"Being in Other M" lmaooooooo man i really need to play that game for myself. Another day tho.

Don't take that seriously coming from me, I haven't played the game myself.😜 I'm open to the possibility of some good gameplay underlying the commonly-cited narrative issues. Not perfect, but I'd settle for 7/10 and still call the game "flawed but good".

Really, the only concern with Samus Returns is that i'll be spending full price for the first time. Super came free with NSO, Zero Mission and Fusion were $7 a piece.

Of course, i'll be buying Dread at full price anyways so might as well get used to it.

I saw one website the day after E3 make an article arguing "Why Metroid Dread will be worth $60". I didn't read it, but given the length of 2D Metroid games, I do recognize why the question is valid. I'll get the game myself day one/holidays, because the franchise is good and should be kept away from C. Falcon's hermetically-sealed tomb and Fox's open pit with a pile of dirt next to it.

Btw, i would like to see a Metroid game tackle the more civilized parts of the Metroid universe. Well maybe the Prime games do this but 2D Metroid at least takes place in very hostile environments and the one time it should be civilized, it gets taken over by X-Parasites.

Outside of Space Pirates, who are pure evil, Samus really hasn't fought many high-intelligence organisms. She's a pest exterminator, not a humanoid murderer. She did fight the Hunters in Prime Hunters- but all of them survived their duels with her.

Prime 3 does start on a Galactic Federation base, fully occupied and normal. It's the one game that features this thinly-developed Federation in a majorly positive role, or major onscreen role at all. This contributes to MP3's "standard sci-fi FPS" vibe, which is different from the more "First Person Adventure" setup of the prior two numbered Prime games.

If "civilized" permits in your definition for the location to be a den of civilized evil built and inhabited by said civilized evil, then the Space Pirates have bases on Tallon IV in Prime 1, and the Pirate Homeworld in Prime 3. 

• IIRC, the Pirate Data indicate life on Tallon IV is running into some problems with the wildlife, but generally proceeding smoothly.
  • The only issue in MP3 the Space Pirates have, is being murdered by their brainwashed comrades if they don't accept Dark Samus as their righteous god and Phazon as her sacred blessings.
  • Aether has Space Pirate bases in Prime 2 as well, but I got the sense reading the Space Pirate Logs that they were pretty much doomed there. Not a goner yet, but Dark Aether and the Ing were going to overcome them eventually.
Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_3904.png?width=796&height=432

By the way, if you liked Donkey Long Country, you might like Yooka-Laylee 2: The Impossible Lair

I played a bit of Samus Returns, only to the first save point since i gotta go to sleep soon (work shift at 10 AM tomorrow).

I like how it plays although i will say that the Morph Ball feels sluggish. Like on it's own you wouldn't notice it but coming from the last three Metroid games i've played, yeah you can feel it.

But other than that, it's good. Like how it plays and i like the presentation.

In other news, i found out that 3DS image share is not the same as Wii U image share. Whereas the latter let you share what was on your screen, the former only lets you share what's in your pictures folder. Meaning the only game screenshots you're able to share are from games that allow in-game picture taking. Which Samus Returns doesn't, so i won't be able to share images outside of like, using my phone.

This also means i'll be emulating Project X Zone 2 after all, as i really like sharing the convos with y'all and i wouldn't be able to do that with a legit copy.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If "civilized" permits in your definition for the location to be a den of civilized evil built and inhabited by said civilized evil, then the Space Pirates have bases on Tallon IV in Prime 1, and the Pirate Homeworld in Prime 3. 

Yeah, stuff like this would be fine. I know in supplementary material, you see Samus' hometown before Ridley decides it's a fun time to play and in the games themselves, some cities in the images you've shared and the opening cutscenes of Samus Returns show the Galactic Senate Federation Council.

I think there's a lot of potential in the Metroid universe besides "hostile planet" but it does look like Prime covers that a bit.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

By the way, if you liked Donkey Long Country, you might like Yooka-Laylee 2: The Impossible Lair

I have heard good things about that game. Especially since the first Yooka-Laylee is considered by many to be mid.