Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean, I get wanting to force feed the kid you’ve come across that you think is starving but won’t eat, I guess, but she could’ve just shoved the chocolate in his mouth with her hand instead of… that. It was totally unnecessary.

Really? To me, that sounds more normal than someone stuffing their hand in my mouth would be.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

and the resurrection spell has always taken too long to be useful to me.

Well... Thats not a thing in Xillia, any spell can go off instantly, so magic doesnt blow without OVL.

One thing I will praise about this game is that, considering its structure (or at least, what I think its structure will be like), I like how they start you off with the characters they know you didn’t use at all in the first two games instead of just handing you Estelle, Joshua, Olivier, etc. out of the gate. Like this is the only way they’d get me to touch Julia other than the side content in the doors (not that I particularly dislike Julia, it’s just that I like basically everyone else more and I am benching Mueller outside of any doors I’ll need him for).

Now that my equipment is getting slightly better and I’ve partially upgraded to level 2 quartz the difficulty seems to be getting better, my characters are starting to not feel like useless scrubs anymore. The first mini-boss type thing in chapter 2 was still pretty bad but now that my characters can actually do damage it was only a matter of running to the water in the Hermit’s Garden, grabbing CP and unleashing S-crafts on them until they died (they each needed 2 to die and all of them were AoE so it was just a matter of positioning them correctly). Which isn’t ideal, but I’m optimistic for this difficulty.

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It definitely is a bit weird but honestly i'm completely unfazed when it comes to le funny anime moments.

The day Trails gets me used to funny anime moments will be a very sad day. At least, funny in this sense.

23 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Really? To me, that sounds more normal than someone stuffing their hand in my mouth would be.

I mean, it could be a cultural difference considering this game is Japanese and I don’t live in Japan, but I don’t think it’s ever not weird to force food in a stranger’s mouth. But when said stranger is a kid and you’re not (at least, I think she isn’t), you could at least not use your mouth for that part.

49 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Nah man, this is how the cops get called.

23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The day Trails gets me used to funny anime moments will be a very sad day. At least, funny in this sense.

Nah, Trails won't do that to you. It's nothing compared to years of watching anime. Now that will make you unfazed.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah, Trails won't do that to you. It's nothing compared to years of watching anime. Now that will make you unfazed.

So don’t watch anime, got it.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was doing work that I had to hand in today because I'm too irresponsible and lazy to do my homework in advance. Here's my pride as a DA fan.

https://images2.imgbox.com/92/7d/FwMe09PI_o.jpg

9 hours ago, Dayni said:

Different isn't necessarily going to lead a game to a bad end, but I assume it changed a fair bit about the combat?

Combat in games since DA2 has become more action-oriented rather than strategy-oriented, but that's not (the biggest) reason for criticism with the DAI. The biggest criticism is about the writing of the narrative (about the protagonist and questlines) and changing atmosphere of the series, which started as Dark Fantasy and is increasingly becoming High Fantasy. Combine that with the big but empty game world (which was made like this to copy Skyrim as people didn't like the setting of 2) that goes against with the more personal style of the first two and so you have the formula for controversy .

The game's story also wastes the phenomenal setup done by the 2, it's cliché (in a bad way) and you still need to read a couple of books to fully understand the events of the game. The Tresspasser DLC, however, is well written and got me hyped for 4.

10 hours ago, Dayni said:

I'm curious to hear about this, because I know 2 gets trashed for quite a bit to the point that specifics are lost in the process, but what works in the story to your mind?

2 gets trashed because it's essentially an incomplete game. While Bioware was working on Origins expansions, EA forced them to make 2, which was rushed to meet the deadline. So the game is full of problems like reused map layout (a lot of dungeons are the same thing), enemies that spawn out of nowhere as you walk around the map, and when you kill them a new wave happens, etc.

The game, however, excels in the fact that as it is on a smaller scale than the others, the connection to the characters' lives is greater. I love Kirkwall's setting, and leaving the game focused on just one city and its outskirts instead of using multiple locations like most RPGs was a bold decision. The conflict involving Mages vs Non-Mages is one of the best and most nuanced conflicts involving cycle of oppression/hate along with the Subjects of Ymir situation in AoT. (TAKE THAT, TELLIUS! PATH OF RADIANCE IS MID!)

September 14, the day the Congress of Anáhuac took place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_of_Chilpancingo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentimientos_de_la_Nación

During September 14, 1813, when the War of Independence had waged on for just about three years now, many of the insurgents convened at Chilpancingo in what would be the first gathering of the nascent government of the independent-to-be country. It was here that the First National Constitution was drafted, though it wouldn't be officially proclaimed in its final form until October of the following year. One of the main contributions was the document "Sentimientos de la Nación", presented by José Maria Morelos, who had become the de facto head of the rebellion after Miguel Hidalgo's death. Serving as the basis for the 1814 Constitution of Apatzingán, it consisted of 23 points:

Spoiler

In the following context, the usage of America refers to the American Continent.

1. America is free and independent of Spain and all other nations, governments, or monarchies.
  2. The Catholic faith is the sole religion, and no others will be tolerated.
  3. Ministers of religion to survive on tithes and first fruits, with the people owing only devotion and offerings.
  4. Dogma as established by Church hierarchy: Pope, bishops, and priests.
  5. Sovereignty emanates from the people and is placed in a Supreme National American Congress, made up of representatives from the provinces in equal numbers.
  6. Division of powers into appropriate executive, legislative, and judicial branches.
  7. Representatives to serve rotating four year terms.
  8. Adequate remuneration for representatives, not exceeding 8000 pesos.
  9. Jobs to be reserved for Americans only.
  10. No foreigners to be admitted, unless they are artisans capable of sharing their skills and free of all suspicion.
  11. Liberal government to replace tyranny, with the expulsion of the Spaniards.
  12. Laws should promote patriotism and industry, moderate opulence and idleness, and improve the lot and the education of the poor.
  13. Laws should apply to all, with no privileges.
  14. Laws to be drafted and discussed by as many wise men as possible.
  15. That prohibit slavery forever, as the distinction of caste, being all equal and only vice and virtue distinguish an American from the other.
  16. Some of the nation's ports to be open to friendly foreign ships, subject to a 10% levy.
  17. Homes and property to be inviolable.
  18. Torture shall not be permitted.
  19. 12 December to be dedicated to the Virgin of Guadalupe, and celebrated.
  20. Foreign troops should not enter the country and, if they do so to render assistance, may not approach the seat of government.
  21. No expeditions beyond the nation's borders to be permitted, particularly overseas expeditions; expeditions in the interior to spread the faith are allowed.
  22. An end to the payment of tributes; a tax of 5% or similar light amount to be levied.
  23. 16 September to be consecrated as the anniversary of Independence.

Thus, the 14th of September of 1813 holds an important milestone of the Independence War. When the rebels weren't just fighting against the Napoleonic Regime that had come to rule Spain for the last five years, but to actually aim to truly be independent from Spanish rule, Napoleonic or otherwise.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I am familiar with Corpse Party, so too late for that.

I'm too unfamiliar with VNs to give more than the big name answers.

I'm out.

2 hours ago, Ghost_06_ said:

The game, however, excels in the fact that as it is on a smaller scale than the others, the connection to the characters' lives is greater. I love Kirkwall's setting, and leaving the game focused on just one city and its outskirts instead of using multiple locations like most RPGs was a bold decision. The conflict involving Mages vs Non-Mages is one of the best and most nuanced conflicts involving cycle of oppression/hate along with the Subjects of Ymir situation in AoT.

Alright, so they definitely weren't starved for ideas even if the development was rushed. Imagine if EA hadn't insisted on it.

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Erm… I don’t know if I was supposed to take that flashback seriously but Rufina did not make a good first impression at all. Just like her sister. Like, why on Earth would she think that was a good idea?

She had to feed him somehow.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

and the resurrection spell has always taken too long to be useful to me.

Healing spells are actually really useful now

BUT

they require CP, which you don't have much of, and CP regen items are hella expensive. Like more expensive than revival items

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

I hope that case is super extra hard that you have no choice but to reach out for help.

It will not happen. I am too smart for such a thing to happen.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

I mean, I get wanting to force feed the kid you’ve come across that you think is starving but won’t eat, I guess, but she could’ve just shoved the chocolate in his mouth with her hand instead of… that. It was totally unnecessary.

Well.

Someone's glad he stopped playing Fates Trails when he did now.

...How in the world did I make that typo...?

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

So don’t watch anime, got it.

My man.

Maybe that's why my recommendations work on you and nobody else. Turns out we're the two contrarians of this thread, you and I.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

I'm too unfamiliar with VNs to give more than the big name answers.

I'm out.

"Mission failed. We'll get 'em next time."

Also, VNs? Corpse Party was originally an RPGMaker horror game. A "genre", if you want to call it that, that I've always been rather fond of. Nothing cozier than watching a playthrough of an RPGMaker horror game on Youtube. The truly good ones tend to have some fascinating stories hidden below the spoopiness.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, VNs? Corpse Party was originally an RPGMaker horror game. A "genre", if you want to call it that, that I've always been rather fond of. Nothing cozier than watching a playthrough of an RPGMaker horror game on Youtube. The truly good ones tend to have some fascinating stories hidden below the spoopiness.

It is VN in how it handles itself is it not? I mean, it's horror obviously, but it's not an RPG that's for sure even as it's made in RPGMaker. And yes, even I've heard about the story on this one.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Someone's glad he stopped playing Fates Trails when he did now.

...How in the world did I make that typo...?

The part of you that hates anime coming out for a second?

I finally found my external hard drive. Guess I'm back to editing videos again.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

they require CP, which you don't have much of, and CP regen items are hella expensive. Like more expensive than revival items

And you can't even buy them until like halfway through the game. Or at least that's when I finally started seeing them in shops.

Seriously, this game probably has some of the worst shops I've ever seen in an RPG. Items so expensive and money comes by so little that you'd think it's a third-world country. Armor deadass isn't available in shops early on. Weapons must be crafted, there is no other way to get them outside of chests I guess (and it doesn't help that item drops can be stingy).

16 minutes ago, Dayni said:

It is VN in how it handles itself is it not? I mean, it's horror obviously, but it's not an RPG that's for sure even as it's made in RPGMaker. And yes, even I've heard about the story on this one.

RPGMaker horror games play more like adventure games than VNs, I'd say. The only interaction in a VN is to advance the text and occassionally pick between text options. In adventure games you move your character around and solve puzzles of some kind. Sometimes they even have action sequences. The games I was referring to usually play more like the latter.

The part of you that hates anime coming out for a second?

I mean, I like Fates in spite of its anime crap, not thanks to it. As much as we joke about this subject, I thought that much was obvious. Heck, the anime crap was the reason it took me so long to even give it a chance.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Healing spells are actually really useful now

BUT

Ah the "people clamor on about how healing is broken so we the devs need to stipulate it!" logic. 

Law why did you have to bring cringe

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Items so expensive and money comes by so little that you'd think it's a third-world country.

Well, they are in an oppressed country :p

But yeah economy in this game is whack

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Law why did you have to bring cringe

You got to that scene huh.

Normally I don't mind scenes like this too much even if it is cringe......but yeah, this case was really cringe.

Edit: especially since it makes Law kinda a hypocrite.

Edited by Armagon

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Seriously, this game probably has some of the worst shops I've ever seen in an RPG. Items so expensive and money comes by so little

Well... is that truly a bad thing? One on hand: it can be a pain in terms of "growth". On the other, when you finally are able to afford everything, you can feel liberated!

Sides' it can't be the worst, FFXIII has that covered. 

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You got to that scene huh.

Normally I don't mind scenes like this too much even if it is cringe......but yeah, this case was really cringe.

Edit: especially since it makes Law kinda a hypocrite.

Especially considering what just happened lol

Like wth

Done Chapter 18. Updates:

1. Blacksmith!Hinata is still a god.
2. Ryoma is still really, really good. It is strange seeing him fold in two hits though.
3. NPC!Laslow is so much better than NPC!Saizo in Chapter 17. Steel Star Axe is clutch.
4. Tsubaki's mixed bulk is actually coming through really nicely here, especially with the Guard Naginata.
5. Takumi, please gain Strength.

As always, an album containing my units is here.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

Alright, so they definitely weren't starved for ideas even if the development was rushed. Imagine if EA hadn't insisted on it.

Yep, it's a shame Inquisition wasted it.

I just finished case 3. I must agree with DodgeDusk's assessment. That really was holy. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkk.

1 hour ago, DodgeDusk said:

Done Chapter 18. Updates:

1. Blacksmith!Hinata is still a god.
2. Ryoma is still really, really good. It is strange seeing him fold in two hits though.
3. NPC!Laslow is so much better than NPC!Saizo in Chapter 17. Steel Star Axe is clutch.
4. Tsubaki's mixed bulk is actually coming through really nicely here, especially with the Guard Naginata.
5. Takumi, please gain Strength.

As always, an album containing my units is here.

Well, as much as I'd like to claim otherwise... Yeah, Hinata's a fair bit better than Kumagera. Meh.

I still don't see why you benched Godtaka instead of giving him Hana's deployment slot, when he would've just been more or less the same as Hana statwise but with way more HP, lances and far better skills

Edited by Saint Rubenio