Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If it ain't riddled with bugs like that, is it even a game?

Welllll, it could have really fucked my had I not been near the end of the fight already.

Edited by lightcosmo

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Also, Voice of Cards.

Anyone have thought on it?

Card games seem to be making a revival of sorts in the current generation. Slay the Spire, Wingspan, Cultist Simulator, Shadowverse, SteamWorld Quest, The Amazing American Circus, Rise of the Slime, Dicey Dungeon. All of these are card-based games (Wingspan being an adaption of a tabletop card game) that I've seen reviewed on Switch.

While the concept of card games interest me, and I like cards as many little individual pieces of art, I haven't bought any of them. I'm inclined to think I'm incapable of learning any intricate mechanics and thoroughly planning out and assembling a perfectly synergetic deck. Although Cultist Simulator still sounds interesting, starting a cult from scratch and trying not to get caught/go insane is a neat idea. I'll settle on "games with a card element" at most.

Okay, got Dave's key for the You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head quest. Just need to kill Tenpenny since that one is specifically mandatory for the quest. Well, there's always the counter-offer route, but I'm not planning to do that. But well, that's just about the only big thing to do at the Republic of Dave. The only other thing is the minor quest of helping with the local election. Helping, or "helping". Hmm, now this is an interesting dilemma. Having obtained the key, I can open the safe housing one of the rewards (and the one that really matters since otherwise it's just caps) of the miniquest, and doesn't count as stealing it. On the other hand, for RP reasons I might want to nudge the election towards a specific result, but then I'd feel bad for one of the consequences of it, haha. Hmm, decisions, decisions... well, I'll do this another day.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Also, I'd say, the whole place's reason to be is so funny. It gets constantly renamed depending on who is in charge, so it has flip-flopped between being called a Kingdom and a Republic, and always "of X". But currently the place is just the home of one big family, Dave's entire family. So he already has reelection in the bag because he just tells the voters (who are all his children or his wives, yes, plural) to vote for him. The main objective of the miniquest is to just tell them it's time to vote, but then you can convince two of them to vote for themselves. Then you can actually steal the ballots before it's counting time, thus ensuring someone other than Dave wins. It just works.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ruben, do a quick Wikipedia read on Illumination Studios. 

You'll see just how much of a trainwreck this is gonna be.

Come now, they can't be that bad if Nintendo chose them! Nintendo isn't known for making poor decisions! Lemme see...

Oh. They made the Minions.

Welp.

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

His most well known role is Star-Lord, a “super hero” (really just a guy with guns from space (well he technically has supper powers kind of, but he can’t use them anymore and even when he could it was only on one planet and you don’t even learn this until his second movie)) in the Marvel movies who makes quips at everything while channeling a sort of awkward air, yet not taking anything seriously ever.

Not saying that’s where they’ll take Mario in the movie, but that’s what most people think of when they think of him.

It's going to a be a beautiful shitshow. Little chance I don't enjoy it. It'll be a worthy successor to the hilarious first Mario movie.

6 hours ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Of course. I would never recommend a bad game.

Hmmm...

6 hours ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Sten is qunari. The Qun hates softies.

But... But HE'S a softie! Every time I talk to him our relationship grows by like 10! We'd already have fucked if he wasn't a whiny dick!

Yeah, I intend to romance Sten. I think they'll make a good couple. The rotten raisin and the whiny giant who looks like a boulder with a bad haircut. Just... Perfect.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Cmon Connor, we know you Fitzpatrick, but your opposition to heteronormativity doesn't allow you to ban Str8 marriage. You should be fighting for the abolition of the traditional family altogether and force consensual communal love and parenting.

Communal parenting, the true sign of progress. The sad part is there's more to that than a joking line would suggest.

Then there's the time we legalised drugs for a day. Man we do some shit sometimes.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Keep in mind of course, Your Opinions May Vary -and that is perfectly fine! There are hills worth dying on -but video game likings/dislikings aren't them!

Oh man, some hills are surprisingly easy to die on.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In spoilers to reduce the length of the page:

Spoiler

This said, the highlights, and some commentary.:

• The ancestral crown jewel of the Kirby franchise is Kirby Super Star. Called Kirby's Fun Pak in Europe.
    • This SNES title, which has received no shortage of nods in Smash, is a tad unusual, consisting of several short games instead of one long one. Unlike the Dream Land 3, the other SNES Kirby, Masahiro Sakurai worked on this one.
    • Key to this Super Star's lasting legacy is how it handles Copy Abilities. In Kirby's Adventure and the Dark Matter Trilogy, Kirby gets one, maybe two moves per Copy Ability. In Super Star, almost all of them barring special exceptions, get a full set of different moves, making bashing things with Kirby through the easy platform quite fun.
    • Super Star Ultra is a DS remake with enhanced graphics and some extras thrown in (it's oddly called Super Star Ultra in European English), which makes it objectively superior unless you were hung up on the old graphics or something.
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land is considered modern excellence.
    • Squeak Squad was the first Kirby game to bring back the Super Star-styled Copy Abilities after they went away during the DMT and Nightmare in Dream Land and The Amazing Mirror. Yet Squeak Squad was uncreative and easy even by Kirby standards. Also, the GameCube skipped on a Kirby title other than Air Ride, so Kirby's return to consoles was notable.
    • Return to Dream Land as alluded to above, copied the formula of Super Star in gameplay, while not copying it's several small games approach, opting for the more typical Kirby format. And overall, it's considered to have done it all well.
  • Planet Robobot is great too!
    • If it isn't broken, don't fix it. This game is the continuation of the Super Star style, and yet again, it did it well.- Barring the True Arena final boss, that I no likely.
    • Triple Deluxe is more of the same and came between RtDL and PR, but most would consider it the weakest of the three, yet not bad.
    • I skipped Star Allies, looking at the footage of it, I felt Kirby was getting stale and didn't want to buy another at full price. You can milk a tried and true gameplay style only so much. And the heaping mounds of Kirby franchise nostalgia 3D and PR contained were exhausting how excited I would be towards nostalgia, which SA also looked to have. I could grab it eventually now, knowing Kirby and the Forgotten Land will be going in a different direction.

As for honorable mentions:

• Canvas Curse is a spinoff that feels almost good enough to be considered not a spinoff.
    • A DS game that like other games early in the DS's lifespan, were forced to use touch controls, the entire game is built around them.
    • Canvas Curse is not long, and it's lacking in real boss fights, but it was fun. 
  • Kirby's Air Ride was a simple kart-racing game for the GameCube, which could've used more content (and I want a sequel!). And the last Sakurai-made Kirby game (excluding the Subspace Emissary).
    • Besides the typical racing of Air Ride mode, you had the smaller, more smashing Top Ride mode.
    • And there is the very unique City Trial, wherein you run around a city finding a vehicle you want, collecting power-ups, maybe attacking another player. At the end of the time limit, everyone plays one short event out of a list of varied possibilities, and whoever wins it wins the City Trial "match". The mode is in a racing game, but not really about racing.
    • Again, I want a sequel, with more Air Ride and Top Ride tracks. More/better balanced vehicles for Air Ride, more zaniness for Top Ride. And alternative maps for City Trial, with the ability to play a set of events instead of just one at the end (unless that was already there and I've forgotten it). 
  • Kirby's Adventure is one of the last, greatest, and still fun NES titles. Its visual GBA remake Nightmare in Dreamland is fine, practically the same, but you can't go wrong with the colorful and detailed NES charm either.
    • If you want to go back to the roots of Kirby, Adventure -the second game in the franchise- is much better than the first- Kirby's Dream Land. That game let Kirby inhale and expel enemies, but had no Copy Abilities, and as a result, Kirby feels a little weak. It's also a lot shorter than Adventure.

Lastly, I'll throw in a nice word for 2/3rds of the Dark Matter Trilogy. Dream Land 3 looks pretty with its colored pencil aesthetic, even if it doesn't play the best. And although 64 graphics are dated, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, has very charming and creative-looking 2.5 stages, one could argue more charming than the smoother modern Kirby visuals.

So from what I'm reading here there's no obvious peak period for the series either, with good titles to mention across the generations.

Somehow I wasn't expecting for the port of Super Star to be considered superior to it though. Good to know.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...I didn't mean to spend this long typing this.😅

I don't blame you.

You clearly had a lot to discuss.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Come now, they can't be that bad if Nintendo chose them! Nintendo isn't known for making poor decisions! Lemme see...

Oh. They made the Minions.

I'd go into opinions on their actual output, but all you need to know is that the ride is seemingly downwards and feels a bit cynical.

Dante_intextbanner_aboutGIF.gif?t=163243

Hey, why is Xander in Actraiser's Steam page? And what did he do to his hair? Ah, I suppose with his furrowed brow blocking his eyes he just couldn't tell the shampoo from his sister's Hinoka dye that she used to try to seduce Corrin one time.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I'd go into opinions on their actual output, but all you need to know is that the ride is seemingly downwards and feels a bit cynical.

I so look forward to this movie.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, I suppose with his furrowed brow blocking his eyes he just couldn't tell the shampoo from his sister's Hinoka dye that she used to try to seduce Corrin one time.

I thought you'd remember they're not siblings at all.

Unless you're Rev and all the family joins together in perfect harmony.

In all seriousness, is the red head Tanzra/the Devil?

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I thought you'd remember they're not siblings at all.

Unless you're Rev and all the family joins together in perfect harmony.

Wait, what? Xander and Camilla aren't siblings? I mean, I recall the whole nonsense with Garon screwing many women, but aren't Xander and Camilla at least half-siblings?

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

In all seriousness, is the red head Tanzra/the Devil?

I have no idea. I'm no Actraiser expert.

Unrelated, but on the Actraiser Steam community hub there's a thread complaining about how "the wokes" turned the angel main character into a girl. Which didn't even happen, by the way. The tutorial at the very beginning of the game apparently refers to the angel as "he."

I'm... not sure quite how to react to that. To call it a stretch would be too generous.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, what? Xander and Camilla aren't siblings? I mean, I recall the whole nonsense with Garon screwing many women, but aren't Xander and Camilla at least half-siblings?

Just realised I missed it was dye borrowed from Camilla.

And as for people bitching about wodedom, usually they prove their words not worth the space given. And surprisingly factually wrong more often than they think.

Edited by Dayni

12 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Just realised I missed it was dye borrowed from Camilla.

Hah, it's okay. I worded it rather wonkily.

12 minutes ago, Dayni said:

And as for people bitching about wodedom, usually they prove their words not worth the space given. And surprisingly factually wrong more often than they think.

I just find it hilarious that the tutorial at the start of the game refers to the angel as "he" and this dude apparently missed that. It's wonderful.

28 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That's all? I expected more, lmao.

I just felt like pointing it out because the dude was outraged about the fact that a male character was turned into a girl in the Actraiser remake... Even though in the tutorial the character is referred to as a "he." Nice attention span you got there, friend.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Communal parenting, the true sign of progress. The sad part is there's more to that than a joking line would suggest.

I had read that there are some in the LGBTQ+ community who are more socially liberal and anti-assimilationist (the people who most heavily criticize the mainstreaming and commercialization of Pride Month) than others. Whereas the white gay dude is the stereotypical "all I want is the right to marry, I accept the rest of the social status quo" assimilationist, there are others who ask questions like "Why must be a child have only two parents, what is the problem with more?" and are willing to experiment with breaking those norms. If it works out well for everyone involved and it doesn't result in anything criminal, I'm all for the social experimentation.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Somehow I wasn't expecting for the port of Super Star to be considered superior to it though. Good to know.

There were a few design tweaks & replacements that came with Ultra, and bosses get a few more invincibility frames when damaged to avoid being killed so fast. Otherwise all the old content is there and just perfectly fine IMO, with a little extra to prolong the still not-overly long fun.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But currently the place is just the home of one big family, Dave's entire family. So he already has reelection in the bag because he just tells the voters (who are all his children or his wives, yes, plural) to vote for him.

A micro-state that amounts to a tribe, humanity returns to its roots with the collapse of civilization.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Unrelated, but on the Actraiser Steam community hub there's a thread complaining about how "the wokes" turned the angel main character into a girl. Which didn't even happen, by the way. The tutorial at the very beginning of the game apparently refers to the angel as "he."

It's probably because they threw a gown on them, that made me think they were female. A butt-naked cherub might be okay in 16-bit from the 90s, but nowadays with better graphics, best to cover them up.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I just felt like pointing it out because the dude was outraged about the fact that a male character was turned into a girl in the Actraiser remake... Even though in the tutorial the character is referred to as a "he." Nice attention span you got there, friend.

Uh... i guess i get what you're saying? I mean, i don't really see what the issue is.

Edit: Nvm i get the gist, it's a PoV thing.

Edited by lightcosmo

Hmmm... Trails in the Sky S-craft balance in a nutshell:

f5ce6f4b1df6704deef621cdcaa5b3ea.png

Sever normally has 35 AT added onto it (as seen on the left hand side (23))

But True Sever?

caeded29966934f9b7d8ca4d96fdbdc2.png

That one has 70 Delay added onto it, Why the heck would they do that? Sever is trash either way, so why make it utterly garbage when it's supposed to be upgrading? This change is dumb, lmao.

Edited by lightcosmo

20 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

From what I've seen, once people got past the initial shock, they were rather accepting of Day as Luigi. People have been saying it's the least WTF choice, alongside Peach.

...Then there's me, who doesn't know a single one of those fellows, aside from hearing about Pratt in passing. I guess I'll just wait and see. Worst case scenario, it'll be less funny than the original. Which is quite likely, I mean, Bald Cranky Drunken Bob Hoskins Mario is so fucking funny. Possibly the only version of Mario that I grew fonder than its Luigi counterpart. Stacheless Brave John Leguizamo Luigi is funny, but Bald Cranky Drunken Bob Hoskins Mario is just Garon-tier brilliant.

Looks like Japan is getting Custom Robo and Custom Robo V2 on its 64 Online service. Nice. You can't complain of mediocrity when they're kinda free.

Reading  a few comments, it sounds like that ActRaiser remaster has problems, the animations feeling too slow/bad frame rate. Maybe this is why they why they launched it ASAP, to keep the reviews from pointing out the flaws? Also overpriced for an SNES game.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2021/triangle-strategy-debut-demo-survey-results-nintendo-switch/

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

who doesn't know a single one of those fellows, aside from hearing about Pratt in passing.

you don't watch murican stuff much, right?