Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I just realized I missed the release date of Triangle Strategy while I was off in Serenes writing that dumb "there's our FE news" joke post.

March 4th, huh. Well, that looks like a buy. Looks like the title has stuck once again, too. I don't think it's as catchy as Octopath Traveler, but well, title's the least of our concerns here. At any rate, there's finally a reason to dust off my Switch. Y'know, in like 5 months.

17 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reading  a few comments, it sounds like that ActRaiser remaster has problems, the animations feeling too slow/bad frame rate. Maybe this is why they why they launched it ASAP, to keep the reviews from pointing out the flaws? Also overpriced for an SNES game.

Yeah, I checked the Steam page and 30 bucks struck me as rather unreasonable.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

you don't watch murican stuff much, right?

I cannot remember the last Hollywood movie I watched.

...Oh wait, scratch that, I did watch Gozilla vs Kong, didn't I? But before that... Heck, before that I'm pretty sure the latest Hollywood movie I'd watched was the fuckin' Mario movie, in class with my pal, without sound and Youtube generated subtitles. That was an experience.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whereas the white gay dude is the stereotypical "all I want is the right to marry, I accept the rest of the social status quo" assimilationist, there are others who ask questions like "Why must be a child have only two parents, what is the problem with more?" and are willing to experiment with breaking those norms

Ignoring that plenty of kids have less already (and those where you'd wish at least one of the parents was out of the picture), it's a quandary if more parents would be beneficial and not something with much in a modern human context (certainly not that I'm aware of). Another question I'd raise on that is "are we talking about all the parental figures being in a combined relationship? Or are there parental figures who have no romantic/sexual part in that relationship?", because I wonder how things would differ in those contexts.

I'm also reminded of the phrase "it take a village to raise a child" and while it mightn't work in a consistent sense, frankly I would argue there are benefits to that scenario and extended family and community that act positively on a child's growth should be encouraged. And I say that with personal experience in the matter, much as I know how many issues that case has had. I'd also suspect there are other LGBTQ+ people who are accepting of that part of the status quo ("me and my partner raising a child together") if not others.

Outside of humans, plenty of species do handle their children in a combined group, so maybe something there can reflect in a human context.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reading  a few comments, it sounds like that ActRaiser remaster has problems, the animations feeling too slow/bad frame rate. Maybe this is why they why they launched it ASAP, to keep the reviews from pointing out the flaws? Also overpriced for an SNES game.

Hopefully not, because that'd be a deflating statement. It's 30 here, which is probably a bit pricey but for being a full visual remake I'm less bothered by it. Maybe it'll be improved......

But recent experience is not filling me with hope.

I failed to find it last night, thank you.

Hard mode is confirmed harder than the demo by the looks of it, so that's cool. Otherwise nice tweaks from what I'm seeing here, I hope we get another demo to see this in action.

I just think Benedict looks absolutely badass. Older MC in a Japanese game? Cool glasses? Green? Yes, please.

...Then again, in the trailer the man appears with big fiery letters spelling BETRAYAL right in front of him, so... Knowing my luck, he's going to be a traitor and I'm going to have to play with my anime teen of choice for the lategame. Because I am not allowed to be happy.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I just think Benedict looks absolutely badass. Older MC in a Japanese game? Cool glasses? Green? Yes, please.

...Then again, in the trailer the man appears with big fiery letters spelling BETRAYAL right in front of him, so... Knowing my luck, he's going to be a traitor and I'm going to have to play with my anime teen of choice for the lategame. Because I am not allowed to be happy.

I don't think he'll betray in every scenario.

And with that you will now have decision paralysis.

Gamefaqs has a poll for which casting choice people are excited for. Mario's third. I do not understand these over 500 people.

26 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Choose the Benedict route then

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Come now, they can't be that bad if Nintendo chose them! Nintendo isn't known for making poor decisions! Lemme see...

Oh. They made the Minions.

Welp.

Illumination's whole motto is basically to make movies as cheaply as possible. And I ain't saying budget movies are bad, I mean, I'm the biggest Kaiju nerd in this chat but like, it really shows how committed Illumination is to making movies as cheaply as possible.

I'll admit Despicable Me 1 is kinda decent but it's their only movie that is decent and Megamind is just Despicable Me but better in every way.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reading  a few comments, it sounds like that ActRaiser remaster has problems, the animations feeling too slow/bad frame rate. Maybe this is why they why they launched it ASAP, to keep the reviews from pointing out the flaws? Also overpriced for an SNES game

I kinda noticed that from watching the trailer. The animations looked very simple but not in a good way.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Illumination's whole motto is basically to make movies as cheaply as possible. And I ain't saying budget movies are bad, I mean, I'm the biggest Kaiju nerd in this chat but like, it really shows how committed Illumination is to making movies as cheaply as possible.

but they will have ninty money, right?

Right?

but they will have ninty money, right?

Right?

Nintendo's like very heavily involved or so I heard. If they got the Ninty money, it'll probably be the best looking Illumination film. Which isn't saying a lot.

I still don't know why they chose Illumination of all studios. Pixar would've been a no-go because it's Disney owned but they could've at least partnered with DreamWorks, which has a mixed track record but still generally better than Illumination.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'll admit Despicable Me 1 is kinda decent but it's their only movie that is decent and Megamind is just Despicable Me but better in every way.

Please don't compare them, that's mean to Megamind.

Sadly it's another Dreamworks movie which didn't get the monetary reception it deserved. Weirdly common from them.

Just now, Armagon said:

Nintendo's like very heavily involved or so I heard. If they got the Ninty money, it'll probably be the best looking Illumination film. Which isn't saying a lot.

I still don't know why they chose Illumination of all studios. Pixar would've been a no-go because it's Disney owned but they could've at least partnered with DreamWorks, which has a mixed track record but still generally better than Illumination.

Maybe this will be the film where the tide turns against Illumination. Though that could be part of the broader tide due to the potential decline of cinema.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, I intend to romance Sten. I think they'll make a good couple. The rotten raisin and the whiny giant who looks like a boulder with a bad haircut. Just... Perfect.

Sten isn't romanceable. Only Zevran, Alistair and Leliana for you.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Sadly it's another Dreamworks movie which didn't get the monetary reception it deserved. Weirdly common from them.

Because they get subbed by Disney and little kids absolutely eat up anything Illumination puts out.

Megamind was particularly put in a bad situation because it had the same premise as Despicable Me but came out later. Even though Megamind began development first.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Ruben getting ready to mod the game so he can romance Sten

3ksq34.jpg

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Megamind was particularly put in a bad situation because it had the same premise as Despicable Me but came out later. Even though Megamind began development first.

Guess I don't see the premise as that similar, but I'm pedantic like that I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Because they get subbed by Disney and little kids absolutely eat up anything Illumination puts out.

subbed? Asking as an idiot for some words.

I would argue they eat it up as marketed that's for sure, maybe another part of why Illumination's bad if we go into how advertising is manipulative.

Pft, hahaha. That angel argument is so popcorn worthy. 

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, I checked the Steam page and 30 bucks struck me as rather unreasonable.

Wouldn't know if it merits the increase to 30, but this isn't just a faithful remake. It added a lot more things that weren't there in the SNES original.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A micro-state that amounts to a tribe, humanity returns to its roots with the collapse of civilization.

Nah, just this one corner of the wasteland... and more because of the person in charge. It's not the normal thing. Civilization is still there, if very decimated.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It added a lot more things that weren't there in the SNES original.

What is there aside from having new music and access to the original's?

Edited by Dayni

"You could not live with your own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me".

Real talk, I didn't mind the Chinball era  but it was definitely the weakest so this gives me hope for Doctor Who's future.

27 minutes ago, Dayni said:

subbed? Asking as an idiot for some words.

Eh, it's like when something gets nominated but loses to something else and people feel wrongly about it.

Happens to a lot of animated movies because Disney/Pixar is always a shoe-in at the Oscars. To date, only Shrek and Rango are the only non-Disney animated films to get one.

Just now, Dayni said:

What is there aside from having new music and access to the original's?

To start, the city sim segments got a little overhaul. More fleshed out stories with them, and the entire town defense thing is completely new. In the original you just had the angel attack the enemies. Now you can have the towns build actual defenses like gatehouses, and hordes of monsters will spawn and attack the town like a tower defense game. The mortal heroes like Philotas are also new characters for the game, they weren't there in the original. Also the entire quest system is also new. They added one new realm that's not in the original, meaning more platforming stages and one more boss.

Overall, the game has been expanded with more content. Again, don't know if it merits the 30 USD, but it definitely is worth more than its SNES counterpart.

Ohhh.

I think I made it to the part where I can have sex with a demon at the cost of a child's soul.

Unfortunately...

Spoiler

I sent Jowan in because I felt it was the most interesting choice, and the man flat out refuses to compromise his one chance at redemption. Good guy.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I don't think he'll betray in every scenario.

And with that you will now have decision paralysis.

I will keep 10 saves at the ready.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Choose the Benedict route then

Japan hates old men enough that I can see him being a traitor in his own fucking route lol.

...Naah, but believe me, I'll be sure to. I mean, what are the choices? Anime teen and mage girl? Psh.

50 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Oh. Well, fuck me, then.

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Pft, hahaha. That angel argument is so popcorn worthy. 

Indeed it is.

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wouldn't know if it merits the increase to 30, but this isn't just a faithful remake. It added a lot more things that weren't there in the SNES original.

Ah, I see.

51 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Eh, it's like when something gets nominated but loses to something else and people feel wrongly about it.

Happens to a lot of animated movies because Disney/Pixar is always a shoe-in at the Oscars. To date, only Shrek and Rango are the only non-Disney animated films to get one.

snubbed I think is what you meant. You also forgot Ghibli, who still aren't owned by Disney (distribution you can argue) for Spirited Away and Into the Spiderverse (which was Sony's baby). Though yes there should have been more and I will die on the hill Song of the Sea was one of them.

But even ignoring that context, Dreamworks is a weird studio because I feel like their standalone movies end up getting weird receptions compared to the quality of their work. They were in trouble before Home did well. Home is not good for reference and multiple better movies seem to have underperformed. The ones that end up franchises are a whole other conumdrum too, because Disney have a poor track record on this with any films while Dreamworks has 2/3 great 2nd movies (.....I feel burnt by HtTYD2).

48 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To start, the city sim segments got a little overhaul. More fleshed out stories with them, and the entire town defense thing is completely new. In the original you just had the angel attack the enemies. Now you can have the towns build actual defenses like gatehouses, and hordes of monsters will spawn and attack the town like a tower defense game. The mortal heroes like Philotas are also new characters for the game, they weren't there in the original. Also the entire quest system is also new. They added one new realm that's not in the original, meaning more platforming stages and one more boss.

Overall, the game has been expanded with more content. Again, don't know if it merits the 30 USD, but it definitely is worth more than its SNES counterpart.

Alright, expanding the city sim stuff, including tower defence in that, (one) more stage, cool, makes sense.

Edited by Dayni

Well, that's that. Redcliffe is safe and everyone lived because I made good decisions. They put their savior back in the dungeon, the bastards. Now I gotta help the Arl get better so he can free my friend. I mean, we've had like two conversations, but I want a blood mage in my party. Hopefully I can eventually get him, anyway. I'm not entirely sure. Next I play, I'll head to this Haven village and see if I can't pick up this Father Genitivi's trail.