Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

da mvp

It's crazy how much better he and Abel are than all my other units. A few chapters of lowmanning does that, I guess.

Edited by Vergil The Knight

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Which makes me entirely doubtful that it'll succeed (unless Nintendo starts cranking out the marketing soon -doubtful).

Which makes it even more surprising that Nintendo gave it a December release. They must really be banking on Christmas sales.

hopefully good graphics will invite more interest and thus sales. If that contributed to Arise becoming the fastest-selling Tales, maybe it can bolster Atelier the same. 

This already happened with the Atelier Ryza games. The visual leap from Atelier Lulua to Atelier Ryza was as significant as the visual leap from Tales of Berseria to Tales of Arise. And Atelier Ryza 2 further improved the visuals. Combined with the marketing and the streamlining of certain mechanics and the Ryza games became the best selling games in the franchise. And if you ask me, Ryza 2 is the second best game in the series. You might recall i called it a perfect sequel earlier in the year.

The decision to make the next game Sophie 2 and not Ryza 3 (or just a brand-new protagonist entirely) is a curious one but the DX rereleases of the Mysterious trilogy did release earlier this year and Sophie 2 is definitely trying to appeal to the Ryza crowd. I mean, this is literally in the description: "The narrative elegantly unfolds with a charming new visual style that combines the art of the Mysterious sub-series with the high-quality graphics and animations featured in 2021’s Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends and the Secret Fairy".

And this is expected but it looks like there's gonna be a Ryza costume for Sophie probably overpriced DLC because KT.

And purely on the principle of liking game preservation and accessibility to larger audiences, if this fourth Mysterious title continues to bring a ryza in Gust's profits, maybe they could continue their remake/remaster process. Looks like the 10 oldest mainline Atelier titles remain unmodernized.

Yeah, Gust rereleased all of the modern trilogies so if they want to keep doing DXs, they'll have to look into the "classic" Atelier. Although given the age of those games, a simple remaster/port won't really cut it. Whether they'll go the FE route and remake the first game and go from there or if they'll pick and choose.....well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

4 hours ago, Julizan said:

Just started with that a few days ago.

Found on Discord a friend who is teaching me a bit and the programm (streaming for each other).

I'm attempting to make a sprite of Lysithea for my RPG.

Since I have free next week, I hope I can share (good) results here.

This is all very nice. Good luck in making them.

I would be tempted to buy "Xenoblade Chronicles X", but I hope and think it will be also released on Switch sooner or later.

I'm kinda losing hope on this honestly at this rate, it's more likely that we'll straight-up just get X2 on Switch.

I originally purchased my Wii U with the sole intention of playing Xenoblade X and revisiting Mario Galaxy 2 and Xenoblade X alone made the purchase worth every penny. But i'm biased in that lol.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

DoR vs. DC

Wait are these supposed to be the same game?

Edited by Armagon

I once again played Mario Party 4 with my friend.

First match, Waluigi landed on chance time and he lost. Second match, he concocted a strategy that allowed him to tie with me, but then we both got a bonus star and he lost from a shortage of coins.

Oof.

There was a positively hilarious moment when he landed on chance time. He was about to give Waluigi even more shit, there were two options where he just straight lost the game and only one where he gained anything. When the final ball throw came about, he was super scared. That is, until the ball got stuck between a wall and one of the Mini Bowsers, making the hellish groans of glitch, before plummeting straight down into the single positive option. I choked in laughter.

5 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

Reminder in case anyone forgot that I'm going to start my FE3 stream in 10 minutes. :v

I know there's a thread, but it seems no one's following there, so I assume posting here will actually get more people to see it. v:

Dang it, I was with my friend and missed it! Ah well, too bad. I'll see if I can catch the next one. I hope you continued using Matthis!

5 hours ago, Ghost_06_ said:

This is why. You could've prevented this.

Suuure I could have, but... Tell me, why would I? From what I've seen online, people really like roleplaying in this game, and I am no exception. How out of character would it have been for my girl to not execute her close friend for virtually no reason? The answer is, not too much, considering I pull the "bipolar" card whenever I feel too bad to be evil. So what was my argument again? None. I have no arguments. I murdered Alistair because I felt like it. Cry me a river.

He was the best character

Oh, I do not doubt it. What I saw of him, he was great fun! Only problem is, it's a bit difficult to get attached to him when the last you saw of him was Lothering. You know, back when I had no idea what I was doing and replaced him with the murderer in a cage because I thought it was funny?

Then consider the other option. That guy? Of all people? That is the kind of batshit insane possibility that I am all for. It so rarely happens in games that when it does happen, I'm always willing to give up anything for it. Especially if it's some guy I hadn't cared about in the last like, 40 game hours. This is not the first time I've done something similar and it won't be the last, long as there are devs out there ballsy enough to pull something like it.

...Again, I understand I could've let Alistair be on his way and live by passing a simple speech check. But, well... I still have no arguments, and you still have a river to cry. So, uh, yeah. Sorry.

Fuck the elves, they deserved it

Zathrian for sure, he was a supreme arsehole, but... Did the rest of them deserve it? Did they really?

Alistair did not

Honestly, it's his own fault. He's been supporting an obviously evil, amoral monster since the very beginning, and unlike the witch, the stoic douchebag and Pirate Zevran, he's not amoral himself, so he has no excuse. Only when she tries to become pals with someone on her own level does he object? I've been running around forever committing the most heinous attrocities, not to mention personally purging the only member of our team with morals, and not a peep from lil' Alistair. And he whines to me now?

Where was he when I genocided the Dalish? Where was he when I destroyed the ashes of Andraste? Where was he when I double-crossed Morrigan and cut a deal with the dragon? Where was he when I cut the throat of that one injured courier in the wilds for no fucking reason? In that last question's case, the answer is, he was right there. And he did nothing. He continued fanboying over me for the rest of the game, even though by all means that's when he should've gone back to Jesus and told him "yeah you know that new girl? Yeaaaah probably for the best we don't let her in the club, she's utterly insane and will get us all killed."

Far as I'm concerned, he got what was coming to him.

And now I am your new least favorite person in the thread aren't I

Well I regret nothing! You'll never take me alive! Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...!

Ask the artist

I would, if you told me who they are. Unless you did it on the first post and I just missed it.

Ruben crossed the line

1a6.png

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-02-at-10-26-53-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2021-10-02-at-10-27-14-AM.pn

I know you didn't ask, but I'm tossing the concise poetic psychobabble explanation of what Persona are at you anyhow. "They are you, you are them."

"The self suffused with divine love."

Sooo quite literally the power of love. Great. This series gets more and more appealing to me by the minute.

What do you mean, there's more words after that? Haven't you listened to anything I've said on this thread? I only read for exactly 7 seconds, and then I start complaining that the story is taking too long to get going.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I have not, nor Acacia, nor Sooks nor Benice.

Well, "everyone" can mean a lot of things. Just like "soon" or "I promise."

I caught interest in "Metroidvanias", though rather "Castlevania" than "Metroid". I have beaten "Touhou Luna Nights" and "Kirby And The Amazing Mirror". Both were excellent g ames and first one was one of the hardest games I have played yet. Wanted to retry "Symphony Of The Night" soon. I know "Metroid" will get a new game next week, however I am not a big fan of space and aliens stuff.

Do play Bloodstained, then, if you have not yet. It was made by the creator of such classics as Symphony of the Night and Order of Ecclesia, and it's... basically just the next Castlevania, just without the Castlevania name attached to it. It's an excellent platformer, one of my favorites, in fact. I still need to go back and get my vengeance on Nightmare mode...

7/9 maps are pretty much done gameplaywise and storywise.  It will be similar FE10 with having different groups, merged at the end. That said with private stuff I could bring out a "beta" version maybe at the end of the year. Still I have to make portraits and sprites which will be definitely the hardest part of the project since I am a noob in drawing.

Swing by and let us know when you're done!

1 hour ago, Robert Stewart said:

da mvp

cain.thumb.jpeg.54c12f2ac43585e3d0955387657b63af.jpeg

It's crazy how much better he and Abel are than all my other units. A few chapters of lowmanning does that, I guess.

Matthis would surpass him easily if you just had some faith in him. Also, you better use Robert-- Oh wait, right, he's not in this game. He's only in the remake, which is... Frankly, alongside the UI and the portrait artstyle, the other reason I cannot stomach FE3. Around half of my favorite characters from New Mystery are not present in this one. Maybe even more than half. That's not nice...

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

gAb7wqC.png

wew boy

Go Echidno! Prove that you're as cool as you are purple.

Nw0owGl.png

Goat Staff

She looks like Azura.

And yes i paired them

So in her case the ocean's waves are purple?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Just now, Shrimperor said:

so you think Nohr peeps are cool? After all they are mostly purple

I mean, depends on the Nohr peeps. Pretty much all the ones that aren't purple? They're cool. Wait, isn't Leo kinda blue rather than purple? He's not cool either. And I guess I'm legally obligated to say Peri sucks, even as much as I like her design. So yeah.

1 minute ago, Robert Stewart said:

Who needs faith when you have steroids :v

True. Give Matthis all the steroids.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Which makes it even more surprising that Nintendo gave it a December release. They must really be banking on Christmas sales.

Although someone did point out Nintendo hasn't placed any big releases around it, that's a slight positive. We won't be running into an NA Radiant Dawn situation, where the game released on the 11th of November 2007, and Super Mario Galaxy followed the very next day.

The decision to make the next game Sophie 2 and not Ryza 3 (or just a brand-new protagonist entirely) is a curious one

Interview if you didn't see it.:

https://www.siliconera.com/interview-junzo-hosoi-talks-about-atelier-sophie-2-and-its-development/

Wait are these supposed to be the same game?

Yes, yes they are. 🤓

The second Advance Wars released on the DS received two entirely different translations, one for North America, one for Europe (and Australia + New Zealand). Days of Ruin is the American subtitle, Dark Conflict is the European subtitle. They were released within four days of each other.

The subtitles are just the beginning, everything is different. There are very few lines that are perfectly identical from what I've seen. The differences can be semantical, or they can be bigger than that, if not actually changing the direction of the story.

Of all the Commanding Officers, only Lin has her name the same in both versions. To list the NA names to the left and the European names to the right:

• Will/Ed
  • Brenner/O'Brian
  • Isabella/Catleia
  • Tasha/Zadia
  • Gage/Trak
  • Forsythe/Carter
  • Waylon/Finn
  • Greyfield/Sigismund
  • Penny/Lili
  • Tabitha/Larissa
  • Caulder/Stolos

Some of the European names are shared with the Japanese version, indicating the European script is more faithful than the American one. Yet even then.:

• Brenner/O'Brian is "Brown" in Japan
  • Tasha/Zadia is "Atley"
  • Forsythe/Carter is "Carlyle"
  • Waylon/Finn is "Dieter"
  • Penny/Lili is "Romy"
  • Tabitha/Larissa is "Lieselotte"
  • Caulder/Stolos is "Berith"

In the case of Isabella/Catleia, she starts amnesiac and Will/Ed gives her a plastic flower, scientifically called Catleia Isabella. Dark Conflict has Ed say the flower's name, having learned it from Lin, the amnesia girl then chooses to name herself "Catleia" and Ed approves. In Days of Ruin, Will says he doesn't know the name of the flower and says he'll ask Lin, but then the mystery girl says she knows its name and decides to name herself "Cattleya" (which is an IRL species of flower, not "Catleia"), only for Will to think it a weird name and he suggests "Isabella" instead, which she accepts. It's one of the most dramatic differences in the game.

Other name changes- well, you can't have the signature quip "Time for Waylon to do some whalin'!" if the man's name is Finn. And the unplayable bandit known as The Beast has something his European properly-named counterpart Drakov does not. That being, Caulder commenting that The Beast is so savage, so embracing of post-apocalypse world, that he abandoned his actual pre-apocalypse name. "Drakov" might not be an actual Slavic-derived name, but it looks like one at least, "The Beast" is no standard name at all.

Going beyond names, I was rewatching this scene where the 12th Battalion, nicknamed "Brenner's Wolves"/the "Independent Legion", reached an abandoned hi-tech facility.

• In Dark Conflict, it contains "Bio-Crops", which are implied to be plants able to grow in low sunlight environments, which is good b/c dust clouds from the meteors have blocked out the Sun for months.
  • In Days of Ruin, what the group finds is an "automated crop factory", no mention of the plants being genetically modified to survive with less oxygen and sunlight.

I assumed growing up playing DoR, that the crop factory was indoor hydroponics, where UV lights are used to replace sunlight. But the details about these "Bio-Crops" suggests the plants could be grown outdoors. The difference isn't truly important in the grand scheme of things, as both fulfill the purpose of providing food to a world lacking in it, but the stark difference remains.

Comparing the two scripts via LPs side-by-side, I can say Dark Conflict has some lines of equal or better quality, but I prefer Days of Ruin's localization overall. The personalities are allowed to get a bit more silly, a little more furious, more flavorful, distinctly "American" flavor you could say, but I like it.

Screen-Shot-2021-10-02-at-4-24-42-PM.png

Dark Conflict Lin says a terse "Its sounds like you two are having fun." to Ed. No summary of the conversation that just happened, no commenting on how strange Will and Isabella's encounters have been, no possible indirect reference to the obvious fact they're living in a post-apocalyptic world and that is wrong. 

And all of this all bewilders me. 😂

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

As far as Xenoblade X goes: how will one acquire an Ares 90 once you cant get reward tickets?

Complete the Mira Survey, that gives you Reward 5000 Tickets. Assuming you can still purchase materials from the online terminal, you can spend 1272 Tickets on two Golden Yggralith Hearts. -Never mind that the reason you'd want an Ares 90 is likely to kill the Telethia, who the final challenge standing in the way of completing the survey.

33 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I once again played Mario Party 4 with my friend.

First match, Waluigi landed on chance time and he lost. Second match, he concocted a strategy that allowed him to tie with me, but then we both got a bonus star and he lost from a shortage of coins.

Oof.

There was a positively hilarious moment when he landed on chance time. He was about to give Waluigi even more shit, there were two options where he just straight lost the game and only one where he gained anything. When the final ball throw came about, he was super scared. That is, until the ball got stuck between a wall and one of the Mini Bowsers, making the hellish groans of glitch, before plummeting straight down into the single positive option. I choked in laughter.

Mario Party might boil down to luck, but the spectacle of fickle and almost-fickle fortune in Mario Party is timelessly beautiful.😄

...I need to get a new one, can't exactly play MP8 with others when I'm down to a single Wii Remote.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Complete the Mira Survey, that gives you Reward 5000 Tickets. Assuming you can still purchase materials from the online terminal, you can spend 1272 Tickets on two Golden Yggralith Hearts. -Never mind that the reason you'd want an Ares 90 is likely to kill the Telethia, who the final challenge standing in the way of completing the survey.

How would you kill most the tough tyrants without a MASSIVE grind or any Ares 90 in the first place?

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

How would you kill most the tough tyrants without a MASSIVE grind or any Ares 90 in the first place?

You would need to COLOSSALLY grind, which would be take EONS longer without any Tickets pre-Telethia or the Ares 90. But you could still do it.

I'd consider ignoring the Ares 70 and instead build a Level 60 Skell and one or two Skell Superweapons to replace the Ares 90 instead. Since they have more Augment slots due to having more weapons, the Level 60s are capable of becoming stronger than than the Ares 90.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Days of Ruin snip

I just want to bring up something you said in your earlier Days of Ruin post.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Catleia also says Laurentia and Zephyrus have been at war "since the last century"

Really? Laurentia and Zephyrus? Looks like Kaga has once again done it first, because there are two characters in Berwick Saga who are deeply connected and they're named... Larentia and Zephyrus.

Also, O'Brian is cooler than Brenner, but Carter is a huge stepdown from Forsyth, so I guess it evens out?

Mario Party might boil down to luck, but the spectacle of fickle and almost-fickle fortune in Mario Party is timelessly beautiful.😄

You can say that again. I still look bad fondly on the very first match we played in our Mario Party frenzy. It was Mario Party 6, the map with hte chain chomps. It was looking rather boring, my poor pal couldn't do anything, while I shot past everybody... Then I landed on chance time, handed over all of my stars to him, then I landed on chance time again and handed over all of his stars to a bot. And then we lost to both bots.

It was... something to behold.

...I need to get a new one, can't exactly play MP8 with others when I'm down to a single Wii Remote.

Yeah, since it's only the two of us, we're playing on my computer. I use my keyboard and he uses my Switch pro controller. Unconventional set up, but it works.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You would need to COLOSSALLY grind, which would be take EONS longer without any Tickets pre-Telethia or the Ares 90. But you could still do it.

I'd consider ignoring the Ares 70 and instead build a Level 60 Skell and one or two Skell Superweapons to replace the Ares 90 instead. Since they have more Augment slots due to having more weapons, the Level 60s are capable of becoming stronger than than the Ares 90.

I agree, but the best way to get most of that efficiently is using an Ares 90. 

Sides' that, i could see it taking... Far longer than desired.

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The best you can hope is they patch it so endless Reward Tickets are obtained in an offline matter.

So never.

Thats why they need a Switch port, haha.

Although, a Switch port of XCX making things a bit more accessible (not on XCDE:s level of easy though) but halving the required materials would be a nice start i think. 

Grinding out things like potential up takes... A bit too long imo.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Where was he when I genocided the Dalish? Where was he when I destroyed the ashes of Andraste? Where was he when I double-crossed Morrigan and cut a deal with the dragon? Where was he when I cut the throat of that one injured courier in the wilds for no fucking reason? In that last question's case, the answer is, he was right there. And he did nothing. He continued fanboying over me for the rest of the game, even though by all means that's when he should've gone back to Jesus and told him "yeah you know that new girl? Yeaaaah probably for the best we don't let her in the club, she's utterly insane and will get us all killed."

Didn't read this earlier b/c all I was typing. It sounds you've walked into without realizing it a giant reductio ad absurdum of avatar worship and all that junk. You do the worse things imaginable, you get still worshipped; you look revolting, and everyone still wants to have sex with you. Is that what the developers intended? Probably not, but you've shown it anyhow.

I'm concerned that henceforth, no game that shoves an avatar in your face will ever feel the same. That all else will be frustrating imitations so pale, that you will cry tears of agony wishing you do things the game simply isn't allowing you to do.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, Gust rereleased all of the modern trilogies so if they want to keep doing DXs, they'll have to look into the "classic" Atelier. Although given the age of those games, a simple remaster/port won't really cut it. Whether they'll go the FE route and remake the first game and go from there or if they'll pick and choose.....well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Didn't respond to this earlier. RPGs are a genre that definitely ages less gracefully than some others, like platformers.

However, releasing them anew with only minor additions and QoL updates is possible. NIS has done that recently with its two Prinny Present two-game PS2 collections (which are somewhat overpriced), Atlus with SMTIII: Nocturne (certainly overpriced) and its 3DS rerelease of Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. You also have six SaGa games from Square Enix (the three GB ones bundled together), the three-game Mana collection and separately Legend of Mana, and the individually sold Final Fantasies VII-IX and DQs I-III. 

If Gust opted for fairly plain ports, with naught but a few QoL enhancements and perhaps upscaled textures and sprite work, I can't see the reviews being very positive. Higher than a 7 would not be very likely, and it's not as if Atelier has a long history of high scores and resounding acclaim as Final Fantasy does. The old Ateliers would be quite niche, not unlike the SaGa releases. Catering to an audience interested in the past of gaming, and this audience is a small one, so the resulting profits would be minimal. Major modernization would be mandatory for significant revenues, if also an ever greater risk with every additional dollar invested into modernization.

Square Enix is gigantic, so it can afford the luxury of these minor rereleases. However, Nippon Ichi Software's Prinny Presents are being made by a company skirting the edge of bankruptcy (not what I'd call a smart move). Gust's hand-to-mouth existence as you've described it in the past roughly aligns it with NIS's predicament, so if they really wanted to, they could see about digging up Marie of Salburg and leaving her as the base metal she is, ever so distant from the gold of which Ryza is made.

35 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Although, a Switch port of XCX making things a bit more accessible (not on XCDE:s level of easy though) but halving the required materials would be a nice start i think. 

Grinding out things like potential up takes... A bit too long imo.

9693872914% agree with the bolded! The top-quality augments take way too long to make. The lower tier stuff is alright, but the best is extremely tedious (which I'm seemingly told is the true mark of an MMORPG).

Although Potential Up... decking out a character in five XX quality of those is enough to result in high level Tyrant OHKOs IIRC. Maybe those need to be difficult to craft.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer