• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

honestly though, I have yet to play a single RPG where I was genuinely impressed with the quality of the villains' writing, tbh

May I introduce you to an RPG with a fantastic villain?

and it's a nitpick, but the physical attacks never had very good feedback

like, when I swing the sword, it feels like I'm whacking with a stick rather than actually doing meaningful damage

it's a small thing, but it goes a long way in making the fighting feel satisfying

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

the combat in Arise becomes less enjoyable for me because of how stupidly tanky the enemies are, and how reliant you have to be on the boost gauge just to do effective damage

Yes, exactly! This is so annoying, and after a while, simply not fun imo

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Yes, exactly! This is so annoying, and after a while, simply not fun imo

yeah, it just makes fights feel too routine

compared to say, Abyss (as my only other Tales of reference point, tbf), where combat doesn't have to follow a strict plan to be effective

there are ways to make the fight be easier or harder, but you're never pushed to fight a certain way just to feel like you're doing more than chip damage

11 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Now you can return to the Orbalnet!

I don’t know what that is, but if you means Zero then yes, that’s what I did. I realized I could convert Sepith to Mira and bought Lloyd and Elie Weapons, then accidentally stumbled into the Western District where Lloyd was like “hey, we should go visit these two people”, so that’s what I’m doing now, and the first one gave me a recipe book! So that was cool, Oscar good. I also bought the first issue of the Crossbell Times. This is the only series to get me to actually read a lore book.

11 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Well, unless you have other homework

No Shrimpy, that’s what the night before it’s due is for. Never forget the ways of the enlightened.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I realized I could convert Sepith to Mira

...big Mistake...

You need Sepith much more for Unlocks and Quartz

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No Shrimpy, that’s what the night before it’s due is for. Never forget the ways of the enlightened.

t9yefpTH51aFzZz2YEbvNs0_AVbts9qr2HOqjeR0

“Nice Lloyd, I didn’t know you liked ‘em that young.”

2 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

...big Mistake...

You need Sepith much more for Unlocks and Quartz

It was only a little bit and it was mostly wind, the least useful sepith that I also had a lot of.

Edited by Sooks

Hmm. Between the Insomniac Spider-Man games and Metroid Dread, i'm in the move for more schmoovement games. Gravity Rush is on my radar. I think i'll look into it. I've heard good things.

41 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Additionally, the carriers can interface with attack satellites in geostationary orbit to unleash offensives that no amount of evasive maneuvering could escape.

And yet, Luxaar says the Ganglion can't escape Mira's atmosphere. The Xern detail is just within the boundary of avoiding contradiction, by placing the satellites in the outermost layers of the atmosphere, but only barely.

Had to look up with they were cause i forgot what a Xern was.

I never actually fought one.

But yeah, geostationary is like still within the atmosphere iirc.

41 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I agree. Case in point Final Fantasy XIII, the main villain takes some time to arrive, but once they do, they appear plentifully. Doesn't stop them from being an unlikeable cliche, and not unlikeable in a good way.

Or Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man PS4. He doesn't actually assume the name until the game's third act and as Otto Octavius, he doesn't show up too much but he still ends up being a pretty effective villain.

Just to use a recent example from the games i've played.

33 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

honestly though, I have yet to play a single RPG where I was genuinely impressed with the quality of the villains' writing, tbh

What makes a good villain depends on variety of factors that are not at all consistent with each game.

I've played RPGs with great villains or simple but entertaining villains or both. You can just expand that to any game, not just RPGs.

28 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I'm actually surprised to see someone criticize "lack of exploration"

It's not a traditional open-world, no, but there's plenty of side areas you're rewarded for exploring

Nah, i kinda get it. I wouldn't even call Arise open-world lite like Xenoblade. Areas are still pretty small and there's like one path forward. (Of course, i understand that Xenoblade areas are behemoths compared to typical RPG areas).

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but the visuals did lead me to believe the areas would be bigger than what i saw in Berseria.

24 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

there are ways to make the fight be easier or harder, but you're never pushed to fight a certain way just to feel like you're doing more than chip damage

I'm forced to fight in a way that's incredibly awkward. 

Alright that's enough LMBS slander for today.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I realized I could convert Sepith to Mira and bought Lloyd and Elie Weapons,

Later on you get to double the conversion rate, so you get more Mira for less Sepith.

IMG_20211014_214144.jpg

Why is Gravity Rush 1 more expensive than Gravity Rush 2 even though it's older? And no, being a remaster shouldn't affect it because it still came out first (2015 vs 2017).

I haven't bought it yet, waiting until I get paid first tomorrow.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

yeah, it just makes fights feel too routine

This was literally the worst idea they had in Arise hands down. I hate how boring/repetitive fights get cause the boost function. Worst gameplay decision imo