• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Aren't people already emulating Metroid Dread? I mean, I want to say I don't approve, but... Holy shit, Ninty don't exactly do much to earn my sympathy.

Thats going to be the case with practically I think. I can imagine BotW and SMO were emulated shortly after release too. 

Personally, I don't feel the rage here. The price is still very stupid don't get me wrong, but, I had no real interest in the 64 & Genesis games nor do I play online in the first place, so I've no anger over faulty online. That, and what you gonna do? Consumers are fairly powerless, and businesses absolutely control their IPs. Me getting into a fit of fury over this will do naught but shave off a little of my life. I feel sorry for those for who do have an interest in the additional games and online services, but I can't join them in setting fire to effigies of big 64-styled "N"s.

I'll still buy all my new Nintendo games legally, not necessarily out of love for the corporation, because corporations almost never deserve love, but it's the right thing to do and I want to support the game or franchise.

Fun fact: Did you know that stress is scientifically proven only to reduce your lifespan if you believe that stress is harmful to your health?

...I don't know why I posted this here instead of the random facts thread.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Fun fact: Did you know that stress is scientifically proven only to reduce your lifespan if you believe that stress is harmful to your health?

And is the contrary true so that if I think stress will grant immortality I'll be able to live forever? THEN THROW THE STRESS ON ME!😤

Just now, Benice said:

Where are the sources on this? Asking because this is something I've never heard.

12 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Making the consoles you wanted to pay for an option also could have been a thing, but there's every chance that would have been more expensive than we'd probably like because money.

19 minutes ago, Benice said:

guess I'll be gone sooner than I think if I just keep believing that stress is harmful

Tumblr_l_677947489623937.jpg

There we go. Almost 20 hours in, I have "finished" Rogue Legacy 2. Quotation marks because the game is still not finished. Namely, there's no final boss, I just killed the last of the bosses to open the big door to the end, and... Well, still can't go in. Too bad. There is a new game+ option, like in the first game, that I might check out, however.

I'll definitely be coming back to this when it is fully released. That was excellent. First game was already great, but I had never expected it could be this much better. Fluid, ultra-responsive movement; super creative classes that each play differently, cool sense of progression while still retaining the "every run is different" feel, areas that feel distinct (a couple of them don't even feel like they belong in Rogue Legacy - in a good way, of course - that's how creative they got), general improvements to the first game's formula alongside a higher level of polish, lore that expands on the world and gives the bosses their own backstories and personalities (this is something the first one lacked), a small and optional but satisfying puzzle side to the game, a cool soundtrack... It's just so fucking great. I can think of very few flaws, beyond obviously the fact that it isn't finished yet.

Bloodstained has been dethroned, this is the new best platformer I've played all year. Now all it needs is to be finished. Yet another game to wait for in 2022... And yet another game that makes me realize how much 2021 has completely and utterly sucked in terms of videogames, for me personally. This came out in 2020. Sure, at the time it was super barebones and it has come a long way this year, but still. Technically speaking, it's 2020. It feels like every single new game I've loved this year was actually from 2020... Probably because, well, that's exactly what has happened. Unless some game is slipping my mind right now, the one and only 2021 game I have enjoyed was Beard Blade. Of all things, Beard Blade. Oof...

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Personally, I don't feel the rage here. The price is still very stupid don't get me wrong, but, I had no real interest in the 64 & Genesis games nor do I play online in the first place, so I've no anger over faulty online. That, and what you gonna do? Consumers are fairly powerless, and businesses absolutely control their IPs. Me getting into a fit of fury over this will do naught but shave off a little of my life. I feel sorry for those for who do have an interest in the additional games and online services, but I can't join them in setting fire to effigies of big 64-styled "N"s.

I'll still buy all my new Nintendo games legally, not necessarily out of love for the corporation, because corporations almost never deserve love, but it's the right thing to do and I want to support the game or franchise.

Oh, I mean, don't get me wrong. I don't wake up every morning cursing Nintendo, nor do I start punching the walls when the matter of Nintendo Online is brought up. It's just saddening to watch them be so... corporationy. Especially because I do want to like games like Splatoon or Smash, they're great fun, but I can't because the online sucks so hard that they're renderred unplayable.

I would see no moral qualms about pirating any game these days, with the trajectory the game industry at large is taking.
Though... I would not be caught dead playing anything that has even a hint of EA's, Ubisoft's, or Activision Blizzard's involvement in it (my blacklist is a bit longer than that, but these three in particular stand out).

On that note, the other reason I haven't gotten Arise yet is that neat little detail that apparently, there are Artes as paid DLC. Not costumes, not additional characters that add some more fun, but are well and truly additional content.
No. Artes. As in, skills. For characters already existing in the game. And frankly, fuck that noise.

They can be set in their ways. They've been around sine the Meiji Era, so it stands to reason in some aspects they don't align with more contemporary climates.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

On that note, the other reason I haven't gotten Arise yet is that neat little detail that apparently, there are Artes as paid DLC. Not costumes, not additional characters that add some more fun, but are well and truly additional content.
No. Artes. As in, skills. For characters already existing in the game. And frankly, fuck that noise.

I don't blame you.

Content that should be in the base game being made into paid DLC is BS.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I would see no moral qualms about pirating any game these days, with the trajectory the game industry at large is taking.

Well... I will say, I do see moral qualms with pirating indie games. Obviously there are dickheads in the indie industry, like everywhere, but generally speaking, it feels like plundering a local artisan's shop. These people don't have the benefit of brand recognition, and you rarely see an indie with the prices and underhanded tactics of bigger studios. Heck, more often than not indie games are passion projects. It feels wrong not to reward the devs' efforts and potential future exploits for the sake of saving 20 bucks.

Triple A games, though? Multimillionaire companies aren't even going to feel 60 bucks more or less. I wouldn't do it, personally (I'd just not buy the game lol, it's what I've been doing with Ninty the past two years, their recent games look fine but not 60-bucks-fine), but I'm not about to condemn someone to eternal damnation for it.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well... I will say, I do see moral qualms with pirating indie games. Obviously there are dickheads in the indie industry, like everywhere, but generally speaking, it feels like plundering a local artisan's shop. These people don't have the benefit of brand recognition, and you rarely see an indie with the prices and underhanded tactics of bigger studios. Heck, more often than not indie games are passion projects. It feels wrong not to reward the devs' efforts and potential future exploits for the sake of saving 20 bucks.

Well, okay, you got a point there!
I forgot about those, somehow, when I made my original point.
And yeah, you're absolutely right. Indie games, and those by some smaller studios (such as the people behind the Neptunia series) I wouldn't like to pirate.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Triple A games, though? Multimillionaire companies aren't even going to feel 60 bucks more or less. I wouldn't do it, personally (I'd just not buy the game lol, it's what I've been doing with Ninty the past two years, their recent games look fine but not 60-bucks-fine), but I'm not about to condemn someone to eternal damnation for it.

These I was referring to, mainly, but I'm in a similar boat to you.
There are only very few of these I'm even interested in enough to even want to pirate... actually, basically none, as most of what I like to play can be considered AA at most.

Edited by DragonFlames

Looks like a near-ideal gaming laptop right at the top of my price range has finally appeared. Now, whether to wait to until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if I can get it for $50-200 off, or, in fear of those supply shortages across this planet, jump in and order my one big Xmas gift now in case it doesn't last. Not sure whether or not to get an extended warranty for it, sounds like an overpriced scam, buuuuut, "peace of mind, just in case" is so strong a notion. Also, the question of an antivirus subscription for that form of peace of mind.

This reminds me I saw clip on how manufacturers are trying to establish a monopoly over repair services (or rather, already have, right Apple?) so they can charge whatever they want for the fixes. Applies not only to phones, computers, TVs, and fridges, but also hospital equipment. You know, the stuff where getting a repair in time might be a matter of literally life or death.💀

There are two emotions I'm feeling right now. Lighthearted joy, and guilt, plenty of guilt. Because I ain't paying for the expensive laptop, when I really should. I need to start being a productive member of society, I've told myself this ten thousand times. -But at least neither feeling is agony for the nature of the world or the state of politics? Feels strange to not be feeling those things at this moment, I've gotten so used to them, that it feels wrong not to be experiencing them. I want to memento mori myself again, as much as I hate the feeling once I'm lost to it.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

All you need is Nep, there was nothing more.

Dimension-Tripper-Neptune-TOP-NEP_2021_1

My condolences that your beloved franchise is stuck in spinoff purgatory.