Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

4 hours ago, Shrimp γ said:

"Is fire emblem the game of thrones of video games?"

As much as the Tales Of series is The Black Company of video games and The Trails series is the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser of JRPGS.

Edited by WraithReborn

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Allow me to spell it out in simple language, because I never did. And understandably, in those great, esoteric walls of text that only I fully grasp, few mortals could even decipher the gist of it.

• That frikkin' gay VN couldn't leave my cranium. Stumbling on it in a depressive mood was most unfortunate. 
  • As I said poetically put it "I called an anthill a grand palace".
    • I devoted so much of my mind revolting petty thing. I was very depressed when I discovered it, and what could've been a happy, funny surprise, a little joke to reference once in a while, I warped into a savior. Despite the ick that I never ignored, I had found something that made me overjoyed, lively, free of mortal fear and the feeling of all being meaningless.
  • As I with guilt returned to that horrible subreddit again, last night, I read the comments, I wanted opinions on the filth. There was plenty of praise, but the criticisms of the game began to add up, I began to realize my folly of idealization begun while in melancholy madness. Add in the ick-related hesitancy, and it all started to implode.

Isn't this crazy!?! A single piece of internet smut! If I ever got into a IRL relationship or what have you and it ended as badly as this, and my mental response was accordingly proportionately greater to the additional sunk costs of time and effort, I'll say it now- The Sorrows of (Not) Young Interdimensional Observer (German Romanticism novel, except replace IO with "Werther". It ends famously with the titular young man protagonist blowing out his brains after he gets dumped.). I would pin a nonzero chance (doesn't matter how low it is as long as it's above zero, it's suicide) on that happening out of an abundance of -but warranted- caution. Thank the Architect I'm most likely not one for intimate physical contact, I can barely stand people touching my feet. Karelian, you're right, love is overrated.

Criticism of something is to some degree never perfectly able to address every facet to everyone as of course one person's criticism can't express the entire human response to A Thing. That being said I don't know the context for this thing, I'm going to move away from talking about the VN and instead note that the temporary elevation of the thing is what led to it's downfall being so devastating. But at least you have the sum of knowledge you have about it now and move from it, possibly as funny that you expected it to be a grander work of fiction than it was.

It's harder to say that it's as easy for an actual relationship, what with the devastation being in relation to actual people. Then again, I'm a lonely fuck. I don't know how poorly I'd take a breakup, failed crushes definitely not counting.

49 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In a better mood, I'd wholeheartedly say something like "Male midriffs are delicious!😋", but right now I'm going through the motions of it for the sake of a nothing-funny.

IO 🤝 Micaiah

bellytops on guys

1 minute ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Although Game of Thrones' ending sucks (still better than AoT's though), the first 4 seasons are kino and some of the best things ever broadcasted in television. If there's a FE that matches it in plot and tone, it's Genealogy of the Holy War.

Fun fact: the first book of ASoIaF was released in the same year as FE4.

Not so fun fact: it's been 10 years since A Dance with Dragons came out.

Source: Got all the books back then.

12 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

As much as the Tales Of series is The Black Company of video games and The Trails series is the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser of JRPGS.

And I'd still find the comparison of GoT to those questionable because from what I know it doesn't quite work like classic Sword and Sorcery, especially if certain theories about the books end up holding up by the end (as unlikely as that might be)

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

And I'd still find the comparison of GoT to those questionable because from what I know it doesn't quite work like classic Sword and Sorcery, especially if certain theories about the books end up holding up by the end (as unlikely as that might be)

The Black Company isn’t Sword and Sorcery.

It's a really nice day of 77F/25C here, well above what the month should be. I know you're bad anthropogenic climate change, but I'll roll with the bad today. Sunshine and warmth are natural antidepressants after all. It's in all likelihood the warmest day it'll be for the remainder of the year. As my laptop is starting to run low on juice, I'll turn it off and sit outside on a lounge chair and do a little reading.

Now if only I could teleport myself to a bench under a decorative arcade and big trees at my former university, I recall reading there several times in the good spring weather. I could've passed on happily right there in the tranquility. Down the paved walking streets, fellow students passing along going about their business. Were I one to meditate, which I'm not, I wouldn't do it at home, nor under a remote waterfall, a public park sounds so much better. Introverted though I may be, the ambient presence of fellow humans, of intelligent (not to say intellectual) beings like myself, it reminds me, I am not alone, though one day I may pass, others will remain.🌳

46 minutes ago, Dayni said:

But at least you have the sum of knowledge you have about it now and move from it, possibly as funny that you expected it to be a grander work of fiction than it was.

It's tragicomedy, it's satire. It's pretty sad and pathetic. A combination of depression, the never entirely resolved mystery of my sexuality (why does it even matter if I'm not going to cluck anyone in likelihood? The gays should've got the right to marry 30 years ago, I might not have paid them any attention if they weren't fighting for marriage rights in my youth. I've questioned in years past if my sexuality is entirely a political statement made in childhood when the fighting for the right to marry was going on, I'm not making this up.), and a sheer lack of not-stereotypical gayness in the good old anime-styled games I stick to. There's a reason I posted my cherished XiaomuWedding.gif when RF5 announced it'd be adding SS marriage.

And who am I to complain about degeneracy? I'm sure the average 15-year-old would've stood a, I'll guess 50%, chance of handling this better than me. 

I compared myself to Kuja once before, his end of Disc 3 fear and destruction moment, and again, I think I'm him. Grown in form, but mentally not quite there; I wish I could cast Ultima. And for Kuja, one sad thing is that sweet, innocent Vivi, is much younger than him, but has a better grasp on their fear of death. In more ways than just mortality anxiety, there are many metaphoric Vivis out there compared to the Kuja-me.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hadn't realized SRW had actually stopped including this. Welcome back!

So this is what they meant when they said Everywhere You Go is based on Banpresto's theme. I don't think this five-second jingle was in the GBA OGs or the EFs actually.

41 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Is that a bonking?

I don't need a bonking, I bonked myself, hard. And my head still has stars and birds flying in circles above it.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm actually less of a fan of the mech designs if only because i prefer my mechs to be sleeker and slimmer.

Forgot to comment on this earlier. Since I've typing a lot, it's easy to forget. 😅

Though it be a long ways off, if ever, I do quietly ponder what would strike your likings and what wouldn't were you ever to go beyond the Endless Frontiers to SRW proper (again, no rush at all).

While I understand a preference for sleekness, at times, I do think that slimmer and smaller runs sometimes into issues of standing out in a sea of similarly shrunken steel. Although the OG games, which are still the only ones I've played, don't seem to fully represent the "Super" archetype as well as it does the "Real", judging from images I've seen of mainline SRW. The tokusatsu, cartoonish, superheros of metal designs can be very distinctive, if not entirely to my likings at first glance due to gaudiness and simplicity (which projects a certain welcoming warmth befitting an approaching "Have no fear, I will save the day!" superhero I admit) either.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

52 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Not so fun fact: it's been 10 years since A Dance with Dragons came out.

Source: Got all the books back then.

Hey, at least we got that book about the Targaryen history! Now just wait for HBO to ruin it with its adaptation.

And there we go, beat FE Storge again. My gold score was a bit worse this time around, but that's okay.

Now that I've refreshed my memory of it, I'd like to reiterate my recommendation. It's such a cute little game. It lasts an afternoon or two, it has super creative unit concepts with a few fun maps to put them to use, the gimmick is really unique, and the story is wholesome as fuck, I know how you guys like those. Try it out, folks, you lose nothing. It's only 5 chapters! Well, and the prep map. You'll probably waste a bunch of time there, trying to decide which units to take along. They're all awesome, so it's not easy, lemme tell you that much!

Speaking of that, I didn't get to use the elephant rider this run... Stupid Roy took her place so he could be useless the whole way through. Next run, next run.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

This can be taken out of context.

😈.

Damnit, Sooks.

1 hour ago, WraithReborn said:

The Black Company isn’t Sword and Sorcery.

I like how this is among the most concise posts I've ever seen you make. Seeing somebody else making a literary mistake really got your feathers ruffled, didn't it?

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like how this is among the most concise posts I've ever seen you make. Seeing somebody else making a literary mistake really got your feathers ruffled, didn't it?

You wound me Rubenio with your snide insinuations.

1 hour ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Hey, at least we got that book about the Targaryen history! Now just wait for HBO to ruin it with its adaptation.

That's true, thanks for reminding me.

Still waiting on the post-Dance of the Dragons book.

Are D&B still involved or were they kept well away after they damaged the golden goose egg that the series could be?

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's tragicomedy, it's satire. It's pretty sad and pathetic. A combination of depression, the never entirely resolved mystery of my sexuality (why does it even matter if I'm not going to cluck anyone in likelihood? The gays should've got the right to marry 30 years ago, I might not have paid them any attention if they weren't fighting for marriage rights in my youth. I've questioned in years past if my sexuality is entirely a political statement made in childhood when the fighting for the right to marry was going on, I'm not making this up.), and a sheer lack of not-stereotypical gayness in the good old anime-styled games I stick to. There's a reason I posted my cherished XiaomuWedding.gif when RF5 announced it'd be adding SS marriage.

On the discussion around sexuality, I am again not someone who can relate beyond a basic human level, but but it does seem like it does have some resonance with you on a personal level, so to want to see if reflected in yourself is understandable.

(And here I was thinking there could be some bloody level of progress with non-cishet relationships, but videogames like politics seem to be behind the curve even by the curve's standards.)

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I compared myself to Kuja once before, his end of Disc 3 fear and destruction moment, and again, I think I'm him. Grown in form, but mentally not quite there; I wish I could cast Ultima. And for Kuja, one sad thing is that sweet, innocent Vivi, is much younger than him, but has a better grasp on their fear of death. In more ways than just mortality anxiety, there are many metaphoric Vivis out there compared to the Kuja-me.

I am now considering Chad Vivi vs Virgin Kuja memes, mostly because the idea got stuck in my head.

God of War is confirmed for January 2022 on Steam.

Edited by Dayni

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

On the discussion around sexuality, I am again not someone who can relate beyond a basic human level, but but it does seem like it does have some resonance with you on a personal level, so to want to see if reflected in yourself is understandable.

I haven’t the faintest idea why I’ve latched on to this practically meaningless personal enigma since… high school? Last year of junior high? When I can’t exactly remember. All I know is that my brain returns to it every so often.
Is it a child’s random political stance from the activism years leading up to the 2015 seen on the news? Is it an aspie’s delayed awakening to the desire for platonic friendship occurring at the same time they become sexually aware, and the two became hopelessly intertwined? Is it basic respect for women leading me to disrespect the decency of men? Am I some brand of asexual? Am I plain old gay? Do I want sex and or love, or am I merely buying into societal norms of what is good, important, and desirable? Is it all a persona for my own entertainment? Do I subconsciously want to see myself burn in mental confusion to add some spice to my life? 

This is ridiculous to the nth degree! Thank the Big Bang that started this universe that it only saw fit to mess with me on sexuality, I can’t begin to imagine having to juggle it with gender. That is unshakable and a bedrock of blissful calm.

…I should really begin moving on from this silly faux pas of last night and today. But like many people out there, the greatest enemy to oneself, is oneself. It’s fair to say that I enjoy few things more than beating myself up in the name of humility. If I try to act to fix my self-esteem, I shirk it, in part because of a lack of self-esteem, and then throw another few knuckledusters for having done so. 
-I know you’re getting tired of reading this. Sorry. I’d pay you by the post if I could.😅

Well, the day has finally come. The CK2 mod After the End Fan Fork has reached version 1.2... which will be its last. I expect a couple hotfixes may come in the following days, but after that, development will fully shift to the CK3 version of the mod. Had a good development run, but I guess things must shift to the next generation then. Can't wait to do a full run now, but perhaps I still need to wait, in case hotfixes do come.

fuck you sony

45 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Are D&B still involved or were they kept well away after they damaged the golden goose egg that the series could be?

They're not involved, but it doesn't matter, it's going to suck anyway. The casting sucks, the special effects will suck because it will be less budget than the original series and I'm sure they will whitewash the Blacks while demonizing the Greens.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, the day has finally come. The CK2 mod After the End Fan Fork has reached version 1.2... which will be its last. I expect a couple hotfixes may come in the following days, but after that, development will fully shift to the CK3 version of the mod. Had a good development run, but I guess things must shift to the next generation then. Can't wait to do a full run now, but perhaps I still need to wait, in case hotfixes do come.

CK3 came too early. There was still so much to do with CK2...

1 minute ago, Ghost_06_ said:
CK3 came too early. There was still so much to do with CK2...

Oh so true. Specially since CK3, while having made strides over 2, still lags behind in other areas. Which will be dealt with in DLC content... years down the road, as 2 did. So for now, the CK2 modding community will live for years to come. When it comes to that mod, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else picks up the mantle. Has happened before, they call it the Fan Fork for a reason. The ver original take of the mod was dropped, basically.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe you need to distract yourself with some light reading... *shot*

I just tried reading before writing that, a short article on the Egyptian archaeology to be precise. But, I was way too distracted. And already I find myself easily distracted when I’m more normal-minded and reading. How many times can I take deep breaths and give myself a light and solid tap on the head to tell myself to focus? 
—————

I ought to book a therapist next month. I go in for depression, and drop this can of worms during the second session. How to explain the yaoi without ending up on the sex offenders’ registry though? I can’t lie and say it didn’t get me out of the most recent depressive funk, and then spiral downwards again.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Is it a child’s random political stance from the activism years leading up to the 2015 seen on the news? Is it an aspie’s delayed awakening to the desire for platonic friendship occurring at the same time they become sexually aware, and the two became hopelessly intertwined? Is it basic respect for women leading me to disrespect the decency of men? Am I some brand of asexual? Am I plain old gay? Do I want sex and or love, or am I merely buying into societal norms of what is good, important, and desirable?

Let's go one at a time.

From what I know political stance doesn't seem to have much influence on the sexuality of a person, there were definitely cishet people involved with the gay marriage campaign here and it doesn't seem like a massive amount turned gay as a result.

Considering Romantic and Sexual relationships tend to be intertwined, I'm not as convinced, though by the time I was having that awakening I'd had some degree of platonic relationships before (much as at that time I was a bit of a class loner).

I don't know if that's necessarily the answer, the seeing of one gender that does doesn't mean you'd come to the conclusion you have to misbehave with the other. But then is it done logically?

Well, with asexuality it's not like you can't also have some degree of romantic desire while also not wanting sex, which I'd assume is not the case on the basis of what I'm reading.

You wanting this kind of emotional and carnal bond can be tied to both what you want and what you think others expect you to want, the person is shaped by their environment, but the individual person ends up having different results from that shaping.

42 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

…I should really begin moving on from this silly faux pas of last night and today. But like many people out there, the greatest enemy to oneself, is oneself.

I don't recommend punching a mirror any time soon.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-I know you’re getting tired of reading this. Sorry. I’d pay you by the post if I could.😅

Probably for the best I am not a professional

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I ought to book a therapist next month. I go in for depression, and drop this can of worms during the second session. How to explain the yaoi without ending up on the sex offenders’ registry though? I can’t lie and say it didn’t get me out of the most recent depressive funk, and then spiral downwards again.

I can have you sent to horny jail in advance?